Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2023 1:35:22 AM EDT
So I am changing it up this year.  Not going to my normal deer camp (long story made short, mental health is a vicious mistress to a camp member and I no longer want to go there)

So this year I have a few guys that are getting a cabin and hunting public land in MI.

I drove out there a month ago.  Found a nice area that had some trails and poop.  Put my camera up and had a ton of deer come in.  Only issue is that they always came in at night.  Even the 11 pt buck that I really really want.

So I go up a week ago and move my camera.  I go a mile away and find 3 trails that converge into one in a pine plantation type real.  Rows and rows of pines. I set the camera up, facing the trail.
Nothing.  No deer.  Nothing at all.  Maybe it’s an old trail?

I doubt I will be able to head back up there before deer camp.

Any ideas what to do?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 1:49:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If your public land is anything like around here. You can scout all you want, pick a spot and when you go in on opening morn someone will be in that spot. Unless you go at least a mile from the parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty tough to plan a hunt with limited information and on public land. You just have to go and be in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:
Pretty tough to plan a hunt with limited information and on public land. You just have to go and be in the woods.
View Quote

Yea. I agree.  I guess the question I was asking was, if you showed up on day 1 with the info you have, would you be more inclined to
1: hunt the night spot
2: scout elsewhere

I am going to be there for 5 days of bow season before gun season starts.  Once gun starts, the deer tend to go nocturnal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If it were me I would start at the spot that you have pictures of deer even if it’s night pictures. There are deer in the area and you never know when they will show.  
I killed a ten point last Saturday that I had only night pictures of. That’s not the normal bug I got lucky knowing that he was in the area.  Good luck with your hunting and let us know how you do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LoudLyle:
If it were me I would start at the spot that you have pictures of deer even if it’s night pictures. There are deer in the area and you never know when they will show.  
I killed a ten point last Saturday that I had only night pictures of. That’s not the normal bug I got lucky knowing that he was in the area.  Good luck with your hunting and let us know how you do.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
If your public land is anything like around here. You can scout all you want, pick a spot and when you go in on opening morn someone will be in that spot. Unless you go at least a mile from the parking lot.
View Quote

Ditto.

As the light comes up you'll see orange in every tree around you.

Its too late this year, but in the future follow the trail at least a mile from where you anticipate parking.  This will weed out the lazy, but depending on your terrain you might need to invest in a deer-cart or sled.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

Yea. I agree.  I guess the question I was asking was, if you showed up on day 1 with the info you have, would you be more inclined to
1: hunt the night spot
2: scout elsewhere

I am going to be there for 5 days of bow season before gun season starts.  Once gun starts, the deer tend to go nocturnal.
View Quote

I'd start at the night spot, but be prepared to still hunt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

Ditto.

Its too late this year, but in the future follow the trail at least a mile from where you anticipate parking.  This will weed out the lazy, but depending on your terrain you might need to invest in a deer-cart or sled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:

Ditto.

Ehhh.  Our public land isn’t that big.  I tend to put a hill or a creek between me and the parking lot.  It drops 99% of the people.  That 1% and I laugh about how we are the only ones crazy enough to go here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Hunt the area you’ve scouted. Don’t assume the pattern from a month ago will apply this month or next. Temperatures, dietary changes, rutting, and hunting pressures can have significant effects on their routines.

Good luck this season on public land.  Plan you entry & exits carefully and you may end up with an unintentional drive as others push deer to you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Hunt the camera location but use photos and check the map.  Can you determine where they might be coming from?  If they’re always coming in from a certain direction, check aerials and topos looking for cover, water, bedding etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top