Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2022 11:03:07 PM EDT
Hey all,

Call me paranoid, conservative whatever. Im looking for some kind of solution for hearing protection while rifle hunting. Ill be shooting a 6.5 manbun, and am curious what your go-to solution is. Best I can come up with is a waterproof style
Earplug (three silicone rings) and keep them around my neck. If I get time to put them both in great. If not start with left first and see if my shoulder/jacket can shield the right.

I’ve got over the ear electronic muffs but fear they would get too hot to have on all the time.

Due to serious overspending on other hunting gear I’m not looking to go in ear active protection just yet.

Thx for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the ones you are using now.  They work the best for me.  I take it you are taking longer shots so hearing the animals up close is not a concern.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Does CO allow suppressed rifles for hunting?

I used Surefire Sonic Defenders until I bought a suppressor for the .308.  They worked great.  Could hear fine and blocked the rifle crack when the trigger was pulled
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:58:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15nooooob] [#3]
Originally Posted By Krazydaddy2:
I use the ones you are using now.  They work the best for me.  I take it you are taking longer shots so hearing the animals up close is not a concern.
View Quote

This will be my first time out in CO. I plan on putting them in if I get a chance. Don’t think I’ll walk around with them in. Gotta be able to hear what’s going on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ar15nooooob] [#4]
Originally Posted By Kujoe:

I used Surefire Sonic Defenders until I bought a suppressor for the .308.  They worked great.  Could hear fine and blocked the rifle crack when the trigger was pulled
View Quote

If I get Into this and do it regularily it may just make sense to get a can. Problem is its already a 22”-24” barrel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#5]
For deer or elk hunting where you might fire 1 shot, I don't wear any.

Prairie dogs where I shoot 300+ a day. Yeah ear plugs
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have hearing loss so I used electronic muffs or just put one foam plug in my left ear (takes the brunt) and try to put one in my right ear if I have the time.  Finally got a suppressor and don't bother with the ear pro any longer.  At least not for hunting as it is just one shot.  I still use earpro when I target shoot suppressed with anything other than 300 subs and 22LR.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I never bothered while deer hunting since it's only one or two shots, though I acknowledge that it was doing some hearing damage.  For duck hunting I do use the soft, molded plastic ones, though I usually only insert the left one halfway so I can still hear a little.  I'm a lefty and always sit on the left side of the blind, so my right ear takes the brunt of the noise.  The molded plugs are obviously a better choice than foamies, since you don't have to wait for them to expand.

I've since gotten into suppressors, so I don't deer hunt with an unsuppressed rifle anymore.  Length is a concern in some situations, but that can be mitigated by a shorter barrel or shorter can, or both.  Obviously, as things get shorter, volume increases.  Unless your rifle is fluted or has a carbon wrapped barrel, you could probably afford to lose a couple inches and get it threaded without too much loss in performance.  You could also go with a short can like the TBAC Ultra 5.  It won't be as quiet as a long can, but a hell of a lot quieter than no can.  Definitely a more costly option than any ear plugs though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#8]
If I'm hunting from an enclosed stand, I'll wear the foam plugs.

From my dad's porch... I don't wear any.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Suppressor is life :)
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Not really worried about traditional long barrel weapons of modest chambering out in the open. Of course it’s not good for you, but at this point, meh… I wouldn’t have any interest in using a “magnum” like many do for bear/moose or whatever without some kind of protection, but I’m really not worried about my slug gun or a 26” .308. No brakes or comps for me, I want an A2, linear comp, or silencer.

For dove, where you’re liable to shoot a lot, especially when you suck like me… just wear plugs. It’s almost entirely visual, and you’re most likely just sitting around.

From a blind of some kind, I don’t see much excuse to not have muffs handy. Make sure you get that muzzle outside the blind! You’re not ricky-recon-super-sniper, you don’t have to eat that muzzle blast inside a box.

Silencer is always the best option, in my opinion. The added benefit, being less disturbance of the wildlife. When I’ve shot loud, everything scatters straight off. Using a silencer, they’re confused and run in circles. I understand this is highly subjective, but I’m not the only one it’s happened to.

I use the Safariland plugs, which offer a scaling protection based on the impact noise. 12db passive to 32db with a gunshot. I don’t believe they actually make that full 32db though. They do not block the same noise that regular foam does, but for more pedestrian weapons, and working industry, they’re good enough. Short+braked guns, you want to go back to foam at least, and should really add muffs. Of course, you should always use a silencer too…

I tried the surefire sonic defenders, and IMO, they’re hot garbage. Didn’t seem to block a bit of sound. Besides the subjective fit, which was poor at best for me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Use hearing protection if you like hearing. One shot does permanent damage every time. These threads are always the same.

I use MSA Sordin Pro muffs. I know you said you're not looking to spend a fortune, but these are the alpha of electronic ear muffs. After a few minutes I forget I have them on. They reproduce sound so well and sit fine over my insulated balaclava. I have had them on for hours at a time with zero issues.

I have suppressed rifles, too. With these headphones, I happily reach for an unsuppressed one if that's what I feel like shooting.

Don't listen (HA) to these people saying one shot unprotected doesn't matter. That's literally crazy talk. What's your hearing worth?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:07:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have found a suppressor to be the best ear pro for hunting. Also seems like the game is less disturbed by it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Cans are awesome.

None of my hunting rifles are threaded so there is a. Issue for me. I need to change this.

When I deer hunting in MO I am either sitting on a high seat or in the large box blind we built last summer. There I use a set of active muffs since I either hang them on the rail or set them on the bench. In 25 years if hunting that ground I have never come close to a snap shot. I do keep them on walking from the blind after hunting in the mornings and when heading back down for the evening. You know. Just in case.

Here in CO where it is spot and stalk mostly I keep a pair of ear plugs on that plastic cord da fling from the back of my hat. If there is time I put them in.

For Africa I do the same thing as CO. I have lrobablt
Remembered to put them in for maybe 40% of over 40 animals I have shot there (I got to do some culling).

Best I can say is anything is better than. I thing because your hearing never grows back.

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Assuming its a non varmint hunting l, i dont use ear pro. Its bulky for 1 shot

If it is varmint hunting its my 3M muffs
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:20:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueSpear2023] [#16]
I hunt with a suppressor in MN. It's the best ear pro. I have my barrels threaded by a local gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I hunt suppressed but already have significant hearing loss and tinnitus so I take my Sordins. I wear them almost the entire time. The amplified sounds of the woods boosts my situational awareness and mostly drowns out the ringing in my ears which is a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I’m a big fan of the percussive decibullz ear plugs. When molded properly, they work great, and are under $100.00
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:20:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IIRC] [#19]
Edited - IIRC
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kujoe:

View Quote

Sonic defenders, Walker's razors, suppressor are my choices depending on situation.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]
If you like ringing then don't worry about it. If you like hearing other people talk in a crowd then push those plugs in. Let it be something that slows down your heart and lets you take your shot without buck fever.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m going suppressed on everything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I use Walker electronic muffs here in SC.  I don't have them over my ears the entire time I sit.  Most of the time early in a hunt I put them up so to speak and as it gets closer to civil twilight and deer move, I put them down.  It has worked for me for years.  I shoot a 16in Grendel with a brake, so it is plenty loud.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:04:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhiskeyBear] [#24]
Electronic wireless ear buds.  Wear them all the time.    

I was using 3m peltor eep-100 but they died in a year.

Recently purchased axil xcor.    

The ability to listen to a podcast while waiting in a deer stand is nice.  The 3m was smaller and more comfortable but the fact they died so quickly for the price point makes me hesitant to buy again.  

The ear buds go with me everywhere.    Brother is damn near deaf and hearing loss runs in the family, stapes ossification or something…  Trying to avoid it.  

Axil was worth the money so far.

Edit: just read op and saw no in ear active…

I’d just use plugs until I had enough for buds… 3m push in to save time during shot opportunity.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#25]
My hunting coats have a pack of earplugs in the hand warmer pockets.  Foam disposable or rubber three valve type although the rubber ones I need to trash or replace as they’re getting hard.

If blind or stand hunting if I have time I will put them in.   Every shot you take unprotected does damage.   I have managed to shoot three deer iirc while having time to put the plugs in.   Not that hard if your stand hunting and are relatively concealed and have time to observe.  

I would not bother while slow stalking.  I have not found a deer while stalking where I had ample time.  Well at least not with deer I wanted to shoot.  A few does and spikes I walked up on and could have used hp because they never saw me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I use electric ear pro plus a can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top