Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2023 8:52:05 AM EDT
I have this topic posted across a few different forums but I thought that this place may have good perspectives as well.

I have an F350 with a 6.75’ bed and plan to buy an Alliance Avenue 32RLS fifth wheel RV. Since I regularly tow a gooseneck on the farm, I would prefer to convert the RV to a gooseneck as well. I am considering and seeking opinions/experiences on using a B&W 4” offset ball with a Reese Goosebox (or Gen-Y version). The RV in question has a rhino pin box frame so compatibility is not always possible I hear.

I would like to get a better expectation on turning limitations of this type of set up as well as other considerations.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:13:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lizARdman15] [#1]
I don’t have any specific info on using a gooseneck, but I have a 250 with the same short bed.

I hope to upgrade to 5er soon and have noticed in all the websites I have checked that a sliding hitch is the best option to prevent cab strikes.
Not sure if the extension and gooseneck can make enough difference in getting the pin far enough back but not too far back.

I have seen some campers switched from 5 to goose, but I have no input on whether it tows better.

I already have a B&W slider for the Ford pucks in preparation.

Be sure to post pics and details about your camper. It is in my short list of campers to consider.

ETA:
I just realized that you were the OP in the other thread.
What pushed you to go Alliance over Grand Design
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: turfengineer] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

ETA:
I just realized that you were the OP in the other thread.
What pushed you to go Alliance over Grand Design
View Quote

I think the build quality was the biggest thing. The taller slides made the Alliance feel more open and the overall fit and finish was noticeably better.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
LCI gooseneck connect pin box will fit that frame. It doesn’t have any fancy suspension but it won’t void the camper frame warranty. My dually is an 8’ bed so I can’t help with clearance.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be curious to know about this as well as I just put a deposit down on a Cherokee Wolf Pack 315PACK12 and they are installing a Reese Goosebox to be used with the B&W turn over ball hitch.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]
May be a wives tale, but I’ve heard some RV manufacturers won’t warranty their 5th wheel trailers if they are converted to GN.   Something about the ride being rougher for the trailer.

A family friend has busted out his back glass twice on his Dodge short bed with his 5th wheel. Be careful!
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from picking up the new 5th wheel. Well, it was only a fifth wheel until I bought it as I installed the Goosebox in their shop so I could make the 7 hr drive home.

I have nearly 90 degree turning clearance, but I didn’t have time to find the absolute limit. The 4” B&W offset ball is the key and worked as promised. I had to adjust the height as the first setup I had 9” clearance above the bed rails. My second setup is right at 8” and since it appears my driveway is not as much of an issue as I thought, I will make another adjustment to get to 7”.

First (long) tow was great. The 7.3 gas F350 towed the 10.7k dry weight with ease. I’ll get some pics when I get it out this weekend.

The Reese Goosebox does not void the frame warranty.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By turfengineer:The Reese Goosebox does not void the frame warranty.
View Quote

This is huge and almost makes the Goose Box a no brainer. I think it's a matter of time before they come an option right from the factory. Previously the limitation was which pin boxes the Reese would fit but the Gen 3's fit more than ever before. I finally got mine installed but have yet to go anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By waldershrek:

This is huge and almost makes the Goose Box a no brainer. I think it's a matter of time before they come an option right from the factory. Previously the limitation was which pin boxes the Reese would fit but the Gen 3's fit more than ever before. I finally got mine installed but have yet to go anywhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By waldershrek:
Originally Posted By turfengineer:The Reese Goosebox does not void the frame warranty.

I now have ~1500 miles pulling the Alliance with the Gen3 Goose Box. So far, very good.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Reese goose box gen 2 is fantastic
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:54:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#10]
I converted my 39 ft. 5th wheel Keystone Alpine to gooseneck using the Anderson ultimate 5th wheel conversion.  .   It weighs 37 pounds and one person can install or remove it in less than 5 minutes.  The camper/truck rides better and backs far better than with the 5th wheel.  It "does not void any manufacturer's warranty".   It is in a RAM 2500 HD standard bed.  I used the 5th wheel with a Chevy 2500HD  long bed.  Best money I evert spent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:37:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: durtychemist] [#11]
Originally Posted By turfengineer:

I now have ~1500 miles pulling the Alliance with the Gen3 Goose Box. So far, very good.
View Quote

Ever try towing it as a fifth wheel? It’s amazing and you could have a slider hitch to get over 120 degrees if you want.  I never understood gooseneck conversions and I have a gooseneck.

You could also buy the b@w turnover hitch that uses your gooseneck ball and removes completely. I guess a conversion is cheap. It probably puts lots of stress on the tongue over time compared to the fifth wheel hitch. To each their own.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Ever try towing it as a fifth wheel? It’s amazing and you could have a slider hitch to get over 120 degrees if you want.  I never understood gooseneck conversions and I have a gooseneck.

You could also buy the b@w turnover hitch that uses your gooseneck ball and removes completely. I guess a conversion is cheap. It probably puts lots of stress on the tongue over time compared to the fifth wheel hitch. To each their own.
View Quote

I had no interest in having a fifth wheel hitch in my truck and I don’t have a great area to store it when it’s not being used. The goosebox was actually more expensive than the B&W slider but it’s not about the money. Why would I want to spend all that money on a slider to only have to deal with it in day to day life?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
I converted my 39 ft. 5th wheel Keystone Alpine to gooseneck using the Anderson ultimate 5th wheel conversion.  .   It weighs 37 pounds and one person can install or remove it in less than 5 minutes.  The camper/truck rides better and backs far better than with the 5th wheel.  It "does not void any manufacturer's warranty".   It is in a RAM 2500 HD standard bed.  I used the 5th wheel with a Chevy 2500HD  long bed.  Best money I evert spent.
View Quote

This your answer. I have a 36 Columbus Compass.  We have about 10k miles towing with it and have had no problems.  
The hardest part of putting the hitch in is getting the plug out where the goose neck ball goes.   The hitch comes out out after almost every trip.
I have a long box F350 and turn 180 degrees with out interference.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Andersen Ultimate all the way. I have a 2021 6.75’ F350 that I tow a 33’ 12,000 pound Grand Design with. I will never go back to a regular style 5er hitch (slider or not). On a F350 if someone tells you that you need a slider hitch disregard anything else they say because they don’t know what they are talking about. Slider hitches are very heavy and take up far too much space in the bed of the truck.

FWIW, I know nothing about the Reese Goosebox so can’t comment on it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I would give Alliance a call to confirm a gooseneck will not void the  warranty of the 5th wheel, they may even have recommendations on which gooseneck conversations are acceptable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Andersen Ultimate has a warranty that will protect you if the original manufacture tries to void the warranty on your fifth wheel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The goosebox does not void any warranty. Other conversation may, so the advice to check with the manufacturer is solid.

I still am very happy with my upgrade. The Reese Goosebox is great with my SB F350.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top