Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2023 1:06:28 PM EDT
Here's a newb question for you.
When breaking an animal down in the field to pack out, how do you protect the meat from the 10,000,000 flies while you're skinning & deboning before you can get the meat into a game bag?

Last year, as soon as I made the first incision, every fly for 10 miles swarmed us to get a taste of deer guts.  

I don't want maggoty meat...
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard a bunch of black pepper repels them off meat.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s a really great question actually. Out here in Idaho we have problems with hornets and flies swarming as soon as there’s a drop of blood. There are two options that have worked really well for me over the years. The cheapest is white vinegar. Get a small spray bottle and fill it with white vinegar, and then spray the meat as you’re field dressing. This works really well for flies and bees, and it’s also antimicrobial. The other thing I’ve tried is the aerosol can of “carcass” spray. I used this on my elk this year and it also worked really well. I believe it’s citric acid based.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top