Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2022 8:39:09 PM EDT
Anyone else have a problem getting bored while you're your stand or blind?  Hunting in NH,most days I am lucky if I see a deer of any kind, not just a shooter.

I get pretty bored.  I can’t ever spend a whole day without at least doing some still hunting.  Most days I will go home in the middle if the day.  Even then, I end up reading, or playing chess or solitaire on my phone.

Yeah yeah, stay vigilant, be ready etc I know.  But I have a hard time just sitting for hours.  Anyone have any tips on staying awake?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the phone would always be #1. I’ve also recently taken to eating shelled sunflower seeds, which keeps me busy as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother sleeps a lot.   Doesn't help with the hunting but it passes the time.

I look around and watch other animals, squirrels,birds,etc.

The phone if you get service is a great time waster.

I chew gum, eat hard candy. Helps to pass time.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I staple pages from playboy on trees at varying distances and stare at them through my binos.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bobweaver:
I staple pages from playboy on trees at varying distances and stare at them through my binos.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I make a list of all the tree rats and their locations for later retribution.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I plan my home projects.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:33:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1245xx] [#7]
Phone. iPad.  Display on low.  I’m in a blind on a platform about 6 ft up on one stand and up 8-9 feet in the other 2.  Probably makes me a crappy, but not bored, hunter.
PS:  if you would like to have a Dr. Phill type conversation while on a deer stand with someone, I will volunteer my wife.  I think I’m bringing her crayons and a coloring book next time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You don’t need service to play games on your phone.  
Wordle is my time killer
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Light reading on phone (turning paper pages too noisy). It's when I get to an interesting part in the book that the deer inevitably show up
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Deer hunting in a stand
Pull the trigger and you got a mess on your hands.
Then you shoot a deer and you’ve got another one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My gunsmith reads books.  

I have my phone.  I bought a FAL while in a tree blind.  Either in the EE or Falfiles years and years ago.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I started not using my phone, and learn to just clear my mind and exist. I stop caring about time, life, all the bs and just enjoy the view and the sound of the wind. Time seems to fly, and I feel much better for it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Looking at a phone or a book means a lot of deer will ghost past without you even being aware of them.

Wearing earbuds and listening to an Audible book at least keeps your eyes up.

If you wear electronic hearing protectors over your earbuds you can also hear them crunching through the leaves.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#14]
When in college did school work on my laptop.

On one occasion I looked up from a paper I was writing and shot the biggest buck of my life.

I finished the paragraph I was writing before I packed up to climb down.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DudeRN:
Anyone else have a problem getting bored while you're your stand or blind?  Hunting in NH,most days I am lucky if I see a deer of any kind, not just a shooter.

I get pretty bored.  I can’t ever spend a whole day without at least doing some still hunting.  Most days I will go home in the middle if the day.  Even then, I end up reading, or playing chess or solitaire on my phone.

Yeah yeah, stay vigilant, be ready etc I know.  But I have a hard time just sitting for hours.  Anyone have any tips on staying awake?
View Quote

Scroll ARF on your phone like I’m doing right now from my blind.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rodent:
Looking at a phone or a book means a lot of deer will ghost past without you even being aware of them.

If you wear electronic hearing protectors over your earbuds you can also hear them crunching through the leaves.
View Quote

What a marvelous idea. Im gonna try that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Thats why I love hunting with my kids, our attention span is about the same. 3 hrs in and I ask "you ready?" And the answer was always "yup".

But now my 10 yo has caught the bug pretty hard. Some kids are good at sports, my kid is a hunting machine. I've always been a 7 to 930 kind of hunter. This kid will think nothing of sitting till 1 then come in and go back out at 230.

I now hunt with my 8 yo who attention is more like mine and send my 10 yo off on his own.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rodent:

View Quote

I read a few short posts, look up, scan carefully then resume.  I am scanning about 400 yards and the tree lines every 60-90 seconds.

Not always in the phone, just at times as a thought goes through my head.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

Scroll ARF on your phone like I’m doing right now from my blind.
View Quote

I do a lot of ARF/browsing and a lot of glassing. Bring quiet snacks too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I bring a book with me. But when the sun hits my face, iI snooze for a bit. Some of the most peaceful sleep I’ve ever had, was in my Ol Man stand lol
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Arfcom
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DudeRN:

View Quote

Do yourself a favor and never book a guided deer hunt in Saskatchewan.  They drop you off an hour before daylight and don't come back to get you till after dark.  No cell service in the "bush".  Wouldn't have mattered if there was service as it was so cold electronics wouldn't work unless you taped handwarmers all over them.  I can't believe I  paid to do that to myself 3 different times !  

Some very boring totally frozen days . . .
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Sudoku

Or podcasts. Lots of podcasts
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
i'm half deaf, and couldn't hear a deer in dry leaves unless it was under my feet... I listen to audio books , it's keeps my brain occupied while i go on autopilot and scan for game....
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Dark_zero_x:
I started not using my phone, and learn to just clear my mind and exist. I stop caring about time, life, all the bs and just enjoy the view and the sound of the wind. Time seems to fly, and I feel much better for it.
View Quote

This precisely. I hunt to get away from all that electronics and life stuff. I only take my phone for emergencies. Just unplug and enjoy the day. Let your mind wander.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This is one of the best reasons why I often venture out of GD to look at other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mike103:

A friend told me that when the truck left the second day he almost cried. He shot a bigger deer on LI NY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mike103:
Originally Posted By explodingvarmints:

Do yourself a favor and never book a guided deer hunt in Saskatchewan.  They drop you off an hour before daylight and don't come back to get you till after dark.  No cell service in the "bush".  Wouldn't have mattered if there was service as it was so cold electronics wouldn't work unless you taped handwarmers all over them.  I can't believe I  paid to do that to myself 3 different times !  

Some very boring totally frozen days . . .

A friend told me that when the truck left the second day he almost cried. He shot a bigger deer on LI NY.

The 2nd year I went it was -47 the night we got there.  The Indian guides gave you one 1lb. propane bottle that you had to ration all day in a non-insulated blind.  Thermos of coffee was cold by 1 pm and your sandwich was frozen solid by noon if you didn't keep it under your outer layer.   It was a rather uncomfortable feeling when the 4 wheeler could no longer be heard heading out for the 30 minute ride back to the truck which was at least 30 minutes of a drive to any civilization.  

The guides forgot where they put one guy in camp one night.  Poor fucker was in a treestand to boot!  He was fucking SCREAMING MAD when they got his frozen ass back to camp roughly 3 or 4 hours after dark.  I probably would have beat the guides ass when we got back to camp if he did that to me.  One mistake in that type of weather and you're dead.  The Indian guides were not very competent.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Couple of the biggest deer I've shot, I was playing on my phone and happened to look up and they're standing there.  I snooze if I feel the need, or just scroll through arfcom, discord, etc.  I tried the audio book thing because I love listening to books while I drive but using earbuds felt like I would miss sounds from wildlife.  I only use treestands, no blinds or anything.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CopyPasta:
Couple of the biggest deer I've shot, I was playing on my phone and happened to look up and they're standing there.  I snooze if I feel the need, or just scroll through arfcom, discord, etc.  I tried the audio book thing because I love listening to books while I drive but using earbuds felt like I would miss sounds from wildlife.  I only use treestands, no blinds or anything.
View Quote

I've found bucks usually show up when I'm distracted on my phone or reading a book.  

My theory is they can sense a predator when I'm watching intently.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By CopyPasta:
View Quote

I had a doe walk right through my field of fire and I looked up and saw her looking at me with the neighbors house right behind her.

I was so pissed.

That was the last deer I saw, about 4 weeks ago.

I'm sitting on a fold out chair under a tree right now. Waiting for no deer to come by.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#34]
For fucks sake.

I looked up from posting that comment just now to see a deers ass end disappear into the trees.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
For fucks sake.

I looked up from posting that comment just now to see a deers ass end disappear into the trees.

Fuck.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Just kidding. I've been there and I absolutely sucks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#36]
It’s hard…I have no clue how people can be in a tree for 8 hours??  I have a ladder stand and a ground blind and I just go right to the blind knowing I’ll be freezing in an hour in the ladder…at this point the deer have ME patterned so I have to figure out how to hunt next year and stay warm. Yes I’m lazy and my blind is only 300 yds from my door. Trouble is I’m 73 and can’t walk far anymore…it sucks. Old hunter’s issues…never saw a deer during the whole season. 😡 I have thought about paying for a hunt and that’s what I may have to do going forward.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

I had a doe walk right through my field of fire and I looked up and saw her looking at me with the neighbors house right behind her.

I was so pissed.

That was the last deer I saw, about 4 weeks ago.

I'm sitting on a fold out chair under a tree right now. Waiting for no deer to come by.
View Quote

Well, at least you're being honest...I mean, can you really call it "hunting" if all you are doing is waiting in one spot for a deer to wander by?
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#38]
It ended up working out.

Saw 3 doe getting chased by a buck. Popped one at 200 yards while she was on the move. She was moving away and to the left.

From a modified sitting position.

Not bored now. Lol.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Get a blow gun and shoot squirrels
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Daydream and intermittently look through thermal to 'see' what I'm missing.

You do have thermal don't you...
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Rub one out
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ticonderoga] [#43]
Boredom is good for you.  When you're bored you start to think and your brain expands.  You start to find solutions to problems and you do better in life.  I watched a video on it recently - it seems that most epiphanies happen during times of boredom.  I'm pretty sure I was bored for the last couple of years leading up the when I saved my first million bucks.  

When you're in your stand, and you get bored, start thinking up "million dollar ideas."  Think of business or plans you could develop that would make you rich.  You may never become rich but you might think of some good ways to get ahead at work, how to make your house better, your relationships better, your life better, and so on.

If it is hard to be bored now it is because you're not trained for it.  No different than if you have never worked out - after a day at the gym, you'll be sore.  After you get used to boredom you'll find that your brain goes to work and you'll start to look forward to "boring times" because it is a chance for you to think, and think clearly in a quiet place, and not be interrupted or distracted.

Good luck, I hope you learn to like boredom, or learn to love it as I do.

PS - before I hit "submit" I went and found the video:

Why Boredom is Good For You
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Sometimes when I take a sip of water I whisper "Now that's some high-quality H2O" to myself in the voice of the waterboy.

That helps pass some time... it's the little things.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#45]
No wonder deer hunting success rates are so low.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I watch deer. I hunt almost every day and only hunt the prime movement times. If you’re not seeing deer there can be many reasons.
Walking around/scouting during the season. Every time you enter the woods the deer know it.
Poor stand locations.
Wind direction is wrong.
No food source.
Too many hunters hunting the same acreage.

Scouting travel corridors during the off season and being a woodsman goes a long ways. Use binoculars and be constantly looking.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#47]
I never have that problem. I stay in my blind/stand for 6 hrs at a time opening morn.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
I never have that problem. I stay in my blind/stand for 6 hrs at a time opening morn.
View Quote

It's easy to stay focused on opening day.  It's day 30-40+ that starts to get difficult.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top