Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

FT8 makes DXCC too easy (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2024 11:37:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653]
Last November, I took down my worn old 2m/440 antenna from the roof, and put up an ancient Antron-99CB antenna that friend had restored.

Over the years, I've tended to ignore 12meters, because if it's open, 10m probably is, and 10m is one of my favorite bands.

I had 12DXCC on LoTW in November.

After work, before supper, and some weekends, I'd causally dabble in FT8.

On March 10th, I got 100 LoTW on 12meters.

Too easy

I remember when I passed my 13wpm test back in 1993, the VE's told me "you can't get DXCC unless you do CW, it's almost impossible on voice"

back then, there was no DX spotter, no soundcard digital modes, in there day it was a real challenge, tuning the VFO knob, trying to find new DX.

Now we can do it while shitposting on ARFCOM GD

Kenwood TS590SG
A-99 chicken band antenna
55-85 watts
JTDX software

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it is great for people who cannot hear, DX operators who struggle with english and otherwise would not be on the air, as well as for folks who have noise levels so high that ssb is mostly impossible.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
FT8-DXCC ought to be a separate award because of how easy it is.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
There are many stations running WSJT-Z which will make FT-8 contacts 100% autonomously.  The Nebraska ARRL section manager got busted doing this, then lied about it in his letter to the section.  Prior to being busted for running an automatic station, KA0BOJ was transmitting 24/7 for weeks on end, it took many people complaining and reporting him before the advisory letter was sent.

Crap like this is why I do very little FT-8 now and have zero respect for those claiming DXCC based on FT-8 contacts.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:13:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#4]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
FT8-DXCC ought to be a separate award because of how easy it is.
View Quote

yep

---------------------------------

Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:...

Crap like this is why I do very little FT-8 now and have zero respect for those claiming DXCC based on FT-8 contacts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, and guns kill people and it's food that makes people fat.  The common link among all these is the word "People".  If a person didn't put an automated or remote station on the air it wouldn't be there to operate so if people just refuse to make contact with it sooner or later it will go away.

But keep in mind that there is a difference between an "Automated" station and a "Remotely Operated" station.  Or perhaps I should say that there "Can Be" a difference between them.  I agree that remote stations are wrong.  I agree that automated stations that can work multiple streams (and hence multiple stations at the same time) are wrong.  As long as there is an operator present for the entire time that the station is operating and as long as the station doesn't operate multiple stations at once I see no difference between that and, say, a rare DX Op sitting at a CW station working them as fast as he can and an FT8 station working them one at a time.

In fact I can point out one big difference that is pretty important to me: A digital station will never get your call wrong nor forget to log a QSO.  If you truly work it then you are in the log and can pretty much count on it.

Personally I dislike multiple streams and I dislike remotely operated stations.  As a general rule if I know a station is remotely operated I won't contact it.  But, to each their own.  Like or dislike what you will, it's your business and not mine.  I have my own personal dislikes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My station is not automated to the point it will make contacts by it's self. I have to restart transmit and click ok for every contact completed. I have spent a half hour trying to get a new country, it doesn't just happen because it is ft8. I don't use software to look for dx, if it happens, it happens. I like ft8 because I have a very difficult time understanding call signs. I have a tougher time when the operator has a heavy accent. I don't really care if it makes my dxcc "less worthy", it helps me get contacts I otherwise wouldn't.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
My station is not automated to the point it will make contacts by it's self. I have to restart transmit and click ok for every contact completed. I have spent a half hour trying to get a new country, it doesn't just happen because it is ft8. I don't use software to look for dx, if it happens, it happens. I like ft8 because I have a very difficult time understanding call signs. I have a tougher time when the operator has a heavy accent. I don't really care if it makes my dxcc "less worthy", it helps me get contacts I otherwise wouldn't.
View Quote

I can't DX on phone while working but I can use KB modes, especially FT8. Point, click and keep one eye on the wsjtx monitor while I go about other activities. If I have to throw the Big Switch due to station problems the gear is a few steps away.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#8]
FT8 has been disrupting amateur radio since 2017 and it's not going away anytime soon.  

Starting at around the bottom of the last solar cycle, FT8 has kept more people from all around the world on the air than any other mode of operation.

Getting your DXCC isn't about skill as much as it is about the amount of time and money you are willing to invest to make those DX contacts.

Most older hams hate FT8 because using the other modes required them to spend considerably more time and money to get the same results.

They only feel cheated because they can't get that time or money back.  Hams that don't own a directional antenna or amplifier rejoice by using FT8 as they get the same thrills for less.

Besides I think the OP is cheap and will never spend a dime for an award anyway, so why do it even mater if FT8 makes DXCC too easy?

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#9]
1.5kW and a beam at 80' make dxcc pretty dang easy too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
FT8 use to really rule up POTA folks. Well the ones that hate FT8 anyway.

My opinion is, worthless for one, that who cares. It's their business how they get awards. If it's the old fashioned way pounding it out on a straight key or using Z to auto. Who cares. Their business. Not mine.

FT8 works for me at times when I wanna play radio but the house is asleep.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
To clarify, I don't hate FT-8.  

I don't like fully automatic stations that make contacts without human interaction, that is not in the spirit of ham radio.  

If I wanted DXCC on all bands, setting up WSJT-Z to run autonomously 24/7 with 1.5KW would have that award in the bag relatively quickly.  When life only allows playing radio a couple of hours per week, and I chose to use SSB, DX is more challenging and consequently more rewarding for me.

Who does an award really belong to when operating automatic FT-8? The operator or the computer and programmer that made the QSO?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:...
Besides I think the OP is cheap and will never spend a dime for an award anyway, so why do it even mater if FT8 makes DXCC too easy?

View Quote

It's not a matter of being "cheap",  it simply isn't important to me.

I would not hang it on the wall if it were sent to me free.

I don't have any diplomas or certificates hanging on any of my walls, even the ones that were a challenge, professional nor .....amateur.

It's more about the thrill of the chase, busting a DX pile-up while driving home from work, or getting them on CW is what makes me smile

FT8 is boring

your opinions may differ, and that's ok

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:21:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#13]
Make a RTTY interface as easy to use as WSJTX, and you would see an increase in RTTY.

WSJTX has launched ham radio into an era of software that isnt a cluster fuck to look at (FLDigi).

The user interface made FT8, not the "ease" of DXCC. The DX stations are on there too, even the most rare.

Make other modes suck less to use and they will be used more.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Make a RTTY interface as easy to use as WSJTX, and you would see an increase in RTTY.

WSJTX has launched ham radio into an era of software that isnt a cluster fuck to look at (FLDigi).

The user interface made FT8, not the "ease" of DXCC. The DX stations are on there too, even the most rare.

View Quote

RTTY's been around forever

I used to play in RTTY contests with DM780

IIRC RTTY has no error correction.

...but you can chat with it ( "what's your favorite rifle, shootdave?" ) unlike FT8

RTTY contests are still popular
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:03:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#15]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

...but you can chat with it ( "what's your favorite rifle, shootdave?" ) unlike FT8

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

RTTY has been too easy for YEARS. Back in some days, you would tie up your horse, go inside and find your WHOLE SPOOL of paper all over the floor.

On........ the......... floor.

None of those problems on moving picture screens.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:13:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#16]

I don't have any diplomas or certificates hanging on any of my walls, even the ones that were a challenge, professional nor .....amateur.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:...

I've known you for a very long time and you're not one to spend your money unwisely.  

Cheap may not have been an appropriate choice of words, so I apologize for offending you.

Nobody will give two shits about my DXCC awards when I am dead and gone, but for me the thrill of the hunt and memories I made have been worth it.

I go where the DX is and today it happens to be on FT8. When change comes as it always will, I'm sure I'll embrace that change and jump down the rabbit hole after it till the Grim Reaper comes along to collect me.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aa777888-2] [#17]
Lest anyone take my comment above the wrong way, to clarify I also do not hate FT8. I don't even hate automated stations. I just think that awards earned with FT8 should be in a separate category.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#18]

RTTY has been too easy for YEARS. Back in some days, you would tie up your horse, go inside and find your WHOLE SPOOL of paper all over the floor.

On........ the......... floor.

None of those problems on moving picture screens.
View Quote

Model 28/32 ASR Master Race checking in.

Hard copy was still required by MARS through the late 80s; possibly beyond. Gave my ASRs to a buddy who was in the program.

Still have assorted Infotech/Universal and Kantronics KAM equipment in addition to a YR/YK901 if I want to play old-school RTTY.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Lest anyone take my comment above the wrong way, to clarify I also do not hate FT8. I don't even hate automated stations. I just think that awards earned with FT8 should be in a separate category.
View Quote

So should legal limit awards, and qrp awards.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:32:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#20]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

I go where the DX is and today it happens to be on FT8.

View Quote

Same here. If I'm on FT8, it's because a station I'm after is there. If they were on SSB, I'd be on SSB. I'm fishing where the fish are. I prefer to work ATNOs on SSB, but if it's an FT8 DXpedition, that does me no good.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By M4Madness:
Same here. If I'm on FT8, it's because a station I'm after is there. If they were on SSB, I'd be on SSB. I'm fishing where the fish are. I prefer to work ATNOs on SSB, but if it's an FT8 DXpedition, that does me no good.
View Quote

I agree

I prefer CW on DXpeditions because I think it's easier, I also like SSB, but it can be a mess with todays bad behavior

. . . . I guess one thing that's nice about FT8, is,......you don't have to deal with the "up up up" crowds and idiots who don't know split

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#22]

I agree

I prefer CW on DXpeditions because I think it's easier, I also like SSB, but it can be a mess with todays bad behavior

. . . . I guess one thing that's nice about FT8, is,......you don't have to deal with the "up up up" crowds and idiots who don't know split

View Quote

You just have to deal with the tards that don't take 5 minutes to read about fox & hound.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Guys,

I didn't make this thread to stir shit up.

Once again, my dutch "people skills" cause a ruckus

I simply want to illustrate that the old guys who taught me, didn't have all these tools to get DXCC

Imagine - no DX spotters, no soundcard digital, no CW decoders, etc.

They turned the VFO knob, and hunted.

They really earned it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlatlandBusa] [#24]

Guys,

I simply want to illustrate that the old guys who taught me, didn't have all these tools to get DXCC

They really earned it.

View Quote

This thread is a good discussion with good points from both sides of the FT-8 camp. I used FT-8 to get Crozet Islands since I don't know CW and there was a zero percent chance of SSB making it with the limited antennas on both sides of the QSO.  

Edit: Crozet definitely was NOT running the fully automatic FT-8 mode, Thierry worked his ass off to give us a chance at a very rare DX.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Guys,

They really earned it.

View Quote

Believe me, if I could hear worth a shit, I would get the final 30 the same way I got the first 70. Spinning the dial with 20w on a cheap chinese junk radio. No spotting, no decoders, no digital modes. Just spinning the dial and hunting.
The guys who taught you also didn't deal with assholes who key down on the tuner every fucking time they try to have a net, or compete with 200 assholes with a shitty antenna, and shitty audio splattering 1.5kw across half the band on every remotely popular DX.
You are talking about a time when folks worked to make their stations as efficient as possible to make the contacts they were searching so hard for. They followed the rules, and practiced good procedures. All of that seems to be fading along with their hatred for no code licenses.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:32:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#26]
View Quote
This.

Same thing for Phone and CW.  Why should someone who has bothered to learn CW have to complete with lazy operators who just want to talk into a microphone.   But some of this comes from a vein of Amish/Mennonite HAMs who cling to tradition over innovation. But, that certainly runs contrary to the spirit of HAM radio.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:42:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#27]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
This.

Same thing for Phone and CW.  Why should someone who has bothered to learn CW have to complete with lazy operators who just want to talk into a microphone.   But some of this comes from a vein of Amish/Mennonite HAMs who cling to tradition over innovation. But, that certainly runs contrary to the spirit of HAM radio.
View Quote

The ARRL already has separate DXCC categories for Phone and CW. The league changed the RTTY category to Digital back in 2011, so I'm not so sure there is much interest to change it again.  There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the RTTY operators about the change back then, but it was changed anyway.

RTTY DXCC Award Now Known as Digital DXCC Award

About the DXCC Rules

About the DXCC Rules

The DXCC List is based on Clinton B. DeSoto's, W1CBD, landmark 1935 QST article, "How to Count Countries Worked, A New DX Scoring System." DeSoto's article discussed problems DXers had in determining how to count the DX, or entities, they had worked. He presented the solution that has worked successfully for succeeding generations of DXers.

In DeSoto's words, "The basic rule is simple and direct: Each discrete geographical or political entity is considered to be a country." This rule has stood the test of time -- from the original list published in 1937, to the ARRL DXCC List of today. For more than 85 years, the DXCC List has been the standard for DXers around the world.

DeSoto never intended that all DXCC "countries" would be countries in the traditional sense of the word. Rather, they are the distinct geographic and political entities which DXers seek to contact. Individual achievement is measured by working and confirming the various entities comprising the DXCC List. This is the essence of the DXCC program.

Over time, criteria for the DXCC List has changed. The List remains unchanged until an entity no longer satisfies the criteria under which it was added, at which time it is moved to the Deleted List. Thus, today's DXCC List does not fully conform with today's criteria since many entities are grandfathered under previous rules.

DXCC Rules+

Section I. Basic Rules-

1.  The DX Century Club Award, with certificate and lapel pin is available to Amateur Radio operators throughout the world (see the DXCC Award Fee Schedule)

ARRL membership is required for DXCC applicants in the US, its possessions, and Puerto Rico. ARRL membership is not required for foreign applicants.  All initial DXCC awards (unless otherwise stated) shall be issued for working and confirming a minimum of 100 entities on the ARRL DXCC List.  All DXCC awards can be endorsed with country totals (see Rule 5).

There are 22 separate DXCC award certificates available, as well as 4 DXCC plaques:

a) Mixed (general type): Contacts may be made using any mode since November 15, 1945.

b) Phone: Contacts must be made using radiotelephone since November 15, 1945. Confirmations for cross-mode contacts for this award must be dated September 30, 1981, or earlier.

c) CW: Contacts must be made using CW since January 1, 1975. Confirmations for cross-mode contacts for this award must be dated September 30, 1981, or earlier.  CW contacts dated December 31, 1974, or before, are credited as Mixed mode.

d) Digital: Contacts can include QSOs using any/all digital modes, in any combination (except CW) since November 15, 1945. Digital modes include FT4, FT8, RTTY, PSK-31, JT65, etc. and any modes that are only machine-readable, and any that use computer sound card technology, with the exception of digital voice, which counts for Phone.

e) 160 Meter: Contacts must be made on 160 meters since November 15, 1945.

f) 80 Meter: Contacts must be made on 80 meters since November 15, 1945.

g) 40 Meter: Contacts must be made on 40 meters since November 15, 1945.

h) 30 Meter: Contacts must be made on 30 meters since November 15, 1945.

i) 20 Meter: Contacts must be made on 20 meters since November 15, 1945.

j) 17 Meter: Contacts must be made on 17 meters since November 15, 1945.

k) 15 Meter: Contacts must be made on 15 meters since November 15, 1945.

l) 12 Meter: Contacts must be made on 12 meters since November 15, 1945.

m) 10 Meter: Contacts must be made on 10 meters since November 15, 1945.

n) 6 Meter: Contacts must be made on 6 meters since November 15, 1945.

o) 2 Meter: Contacts must be made on 2 meters since November 15, 1945.

p) 70 cm: contacts must be made on 70 cm since November 15, 1945.

q)  23 cm:  Contacts must be made on 33 cm since November 15, 1945.  

r)  13 cm:  Contacts must be made on 23 cm since November 15, 1945.

s)  3 cm:  Contacts must be made on 3 cm since November 15, 1945.

t) Satellite: Contacts must be made using satellites since March 1, 1965. Confirmations must indicate satellite QSO. Satellite contacts do not count toward any awards noted in a) through o) above.

u) Five-Band DXCC (5BDXCC): The 5BDXCC certificate is available for working and confirming 100 current DXCC entities (deleted entities don't count for this award) on each of the following five bands: 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 Meters. Contacts are valid from November 15, 1945.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:55:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#28]
Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:
There are many stations running WSJT-Z which will make FT-8 contacts 100% autonomously.  The Nebraska ARRL section manager got busted doing this, then lied about it in his letter to the section.  Prior to being busted for running an automatic station, KA0BOJ was transmitting 24/7 for weeks on end, it took many people complaining and reporting him before the advisory letter was sent.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457325/1000001097-3167122.png

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/457325/1000001975-3167123.png
View Quote

Meh.  I wish nobody had made the automated software because it casts all the users who do sit by their radios in a bad light.  I've never used an automated program to make FT8 contacts.  Every one (and all my JT65 contacts from years ago) were initiated manually by calling CQ or choosing to respond to a CQ.  

If it wasn't for FT8 you could count my DX contacts on one hand, and while I don't yet have DXCC, it would be completely unachievable since I have a cliff to the NE blocking Europe.  At least with FT8 I have a shot.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:02:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#29]

View All Quotes

And, "no tower" awards while we're at it.

I mean, as long as we are putting any kind of "unfair advantage" in its own category so that the folks who got DXCC 30 years ago don't have to feel like their prestige is diluted.  

But let's face it, a guy with a 100W or QRP rig and no tower or HF Yagi using a low wire or ground-mounted vertical antenna is at a huge disadvantage compared to stations with towers and amplifiers.  FT8 isn't always a magic bullet unless the rest of the station is already optimized.

What FT8 does do, is make DX affordable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Since there are so many SSB fans here I'll mention that I just got an email from the CQ WPX Contest Committee reminding me that the CQ WPX SSB contest is this coming weekend (March 30 @ 0000Z  through March 31 @ 2359Z).
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
You can get DXCC with 100watt rig, and a trap Vertical or G5RV

You can do it on SSB voice only

You can do it on CW only

I know because I did it

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#32]

You can do it on CW only

I know because I did it

View Quote

One of our club members was showing off his brand new DXCC cert. at the last club meeting. He did it with 100 watts SSB and the antenna is a rain gutter downspout with a ground rod. In his apartment, that is all he can have. I can't imagine what his signal to noise ratio is. He said it took several years.

It is a heck of a lot easier in a clear location a nice tall tower, a beam and wires up high for lower bands and an amp.

BUT if you have a set up like that you should NOT be bragging about DXCC. Minimum bragging would be 5 band DXCC or 10 band DXCC.

I have 9 band DXCC but fall a little short on 6 meters where I only have 79 confirmed.  I guess my Moxon for 6 meters is not exactly a "killer" as it is about the same as a 2 element yagi. Almost.

But the guy that got DXCC with 100 watts and a downspout probably had to work pretty hard to do that. A heck of a lot harder than the tower/beam/amp guy.  If the sunspots are high, you should be able to work DXCC in a good contest weekend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm brand new to HF, but I LOVE FT8, its by far my favorite mode for now. I've made several 6000 mile+ contacts with a G90 and a poorly setup dipole or portable 17' vertical antenna. cross country contacts are boringly easy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I usually spend 5-10 minutes making sure I have the call sign correct before I even try to call, be it a pota station or dx station. If they don't give their call sign, it can be 20 or 30 minutes. Then it is doing my best with whichever radio I am using. Max power is around 80w when I am in in the 1:1 part of the antenna. Normally between 30 and 70w in the shack. 5-30w portable depending on batteries and if I use an amp. I can get 100w if I want to have a crappy signal, but I try to adjust for signal clarity. Not that much difference between 65 and 95w.
With my hearing loss, I need an audio amp between the radio and headphones, or I use a transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack, and sends a signal to a tiny repeater that sends the signal to my hearing aids. That gets cranked up so I can understand or try to, call signs. I wish there was a lip reading function on the waterfall.
It gets pretty fatiguing after a while. My future pota activations will be FT8, and I save my SSB for the weekly net, and sometimes hunting pota. If I get the chance to add a country while looking for pota, I will go for it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

One of our club members was showing off his brand new DXCC cert. at the last club meeting. He did it with 100 watts SSB and the antenna is a rain gutter downspout with a ground rod. In his apartment, that is all he can have. I can't imagine what his signal to noise ratio is. He said it took several years.

It is a heck of a lot easier in a clear location a nice tall tower, a beam and wires up high for lower bands and an amp.

BUT if you have a set up like that you should NOT be bragging about DXCC. Minimum bragging would be 5 band DXCC or 10 band DXCC.

I have 9 band DXCC but fall a little short on 6 meters where I only have 79 confirmed.  I guess my Moxon for 6 meters is not exactly a "killer" as it is about the same as a 2 element yagi. Almost.

But the guy that got DXCC with 100 watts and a downspout probably had to work pretty hard to do that. A heck of a lot harder than the tower/beam/amp guy.  If the sunspots are high, you should be able to work DXCC in a good contest weekend.
View Quote

There was a QST article years ago where a 6-land XYL loaded up their home's rain gutters and was able to make it work.

Complete SB104 lineup, which hubby built for her - along with a custom console into which all the pieces fit.

Sometimes ya gotta be creative.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:07:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#36]
I usually spend 5-10 minutes making sure I have the call sign correct before I even try to call, be it a pota station or dx station. If they don't give their call sign, it can be 20 or 30 minutes. Then it is doing my best with whichever radio I am using. Max power is around 80w when I am in in the 1:1 part of the antenna. Normally between 30 and 70w in the shack. 5-30w portable depending on batteries and if I use an amp. I can get 100w if I want to have a crappy signal, but I try to adjust for signal clarity. Not that much difference between 65 and 95w.
With my hearing loss, I need an audio amp between the radio and headphones, or I use a transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack, and sends a signal to a tiny repeater that sends the signal to my hearing aids. That gets cranked up so I can understand or try to, call signs. I wish there was a lip reading function on the waterfall.
It gets pretty fatiguing after a while. My future pota activations will be FT8, and I save my SSB for the weekly net, and sometimes hunting pota. If I get the chance to add a country while looking for pota, I will go for it.
View Quote

The only downside of FT8 for POTA is that it is very slow. In the time you do 10 FT8 contacts you can do 30 SSB. But sometimes that is actually nice.

At least with FT8 you can get some rough semblance of generally useful signal reports. This weekends SSB contest will likely produce some DX for me, with a 5 second transaction of false 59/59 exchanges.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#37]

The only downside of FT8 for POTA is that it is very slow. In the time you do 10 FT8 contacts you can do 30 SSB. But sometimes that is actually nice.

At least with FT8 you can get some rough semblance of generally useful signal reports. This weekends SSB contest will likely produce some DX for me, with a 5 second transaction of false 59/59 exchanges.
View Quote

It's funny that FT8 takes way more time to complete a contact than SSB, but somehow it's "easier" to make the contact.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#38]
There have been times when I've called a rarer DX OVER TWO HOURS before getting picked on FT8.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#39]
There have been times when I've called a rarer DX OVER TWO HOURS before getting picked on FT8.
View Quote

But it's all automatic, and easy! Everyone you see on the screen just magically jumps into your log. You don't even need to be there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#40]
There have been times when I've my computer called a rarer DX OVER TWO HOURS before getting picked on FT8.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#41]
The "my computer" is calling is silly. On every digital mode that is the case.

On 95% of SSB/CW DX contacts in people's logs your voice and CW key gave you call, location  and signal report. Nothing else. You moved on to make way for the next guy.

Trying to claim a significant difference is silly.

"but I COULD have had a QSO". Guess what 95% of the time you didn't. And you won't next time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
There have been times when I've my computer called a rarer DX OVER TWO HOURS before getting picked on FT8.

Microphone, key, computer. All three do the work for you, as you certainly aren't yelling across the distance by yourself. Lol!

Every QSO I get on FT8 is manually earned. I don't just start calling and walk away, for two reasons. One, I have WSJT-X set up with a watchdog timer that will kick off my TX in a couple of minutes if it is left unattended. And two, after most calling sequences, I stop to check the waterfall to see if my frequency is still clear, and if not. I QSY to a new spot. I'm constantly clicking and moving the entire 2+ hours if needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

+1

I think I am going to mail a remote station to Tonga and work myself so I can put it in my DXCC log
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

This makes sense.

QRP can be a bastard. I'm still somewhat surprised I made WAS and DXCC with the Clansman.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#45]

I agree

but it can be a mess with todays bad behavior
View Quote

Someone just got a letter from the DX Police regarding his poor behavior on a DXpedition after he kept walking on a split for about an hour. Guess what the first 2 letters of his call were?

He sounded like he was one of those emotional types so I would imagine he's going to piss his pants when he opens it. I can picture the poor bastard walking around in circles with the letter in his hand wondering what to do next.

Hopefully he writes the ARRL and really gets the shit rolling.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#46]

I know because I did it
View Quote

I did it with 30 watts and a wire.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

I did it with 30 watts and a wire.

View Quote

That rates a hearty "Well Done" piccolo, no ifs, and's, or buts about it!
Rob
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robmkivseries70] [#48]
Just in general, not about anybody in this thread, but I get the notion that the feelings from the past are the same, (And maybe the people.) where this all started with Code vs. No code. That is, as was said up above, the newer ways are much less work. Is it fair, IDK how to answer that, did Morse proficiency  act as a gate keeper, yes it did. I struggled with it for years to get where I am.

I just ran into an old friend (OTA) who is a self taught Broadcast Engineer, he had /has a learning disability in dealing with Morse and did not become licensed until CW went away. He is one of the brightest guys I know and a lot of fun to boot. Going way back, more than a few CRTs died under our tutelage, often spectacularly, except for the time I missed the "X" and hit the neck.  As ole' Kurt said, "They (The newer hams.) did what was asked of them when they tested.
Rob
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:43:08 AM EDT
[#49]

You can do it on CW only

I know because I did it

View Quote

It's taken me almost 3 years to get 78 countries (unconfirmed, but I know what I did) with 100 watts and a wire SSB. I probably don't have 2 handfuls of pileups I couldn't eventually break to get new countries. I just got my first amp yesterday and 500 watts and my horizontal delta loop is proving quite effective at getting me over the hump so far...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

One of my neighbors has been calling a station in Sweden for the last hour and a half. He's a couple miles away. I know he has 100w and and end fed. I called twice and got through with 500w and 80m horizontal delta loop. I was S9 to the station and strong enough that he took a little break from his pileup to ask what city I was in and my station conditions. Going from and endfed to a loop was a big step. Going from 100w to 500w appears to be an equally big step. With just the loop I could often hear stations that couldn't hear me. Today I was able to work Sweden and a station in Chile that I've never worked due to high noise floor on his end.

Now my questions, is legal limit worth it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
FT8 makes DXCC too easy (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top