Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2024 9:43:16 AM EDT
I have used the Hungry Jack dried hash browns that come in the cardboard cartons. Would the self life be improved by repacking them in mylar with an oxygen absorber?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure, but I have a couple of cans of freeze dried hash browns thst I’ve never tried. One of these days I’m going to crack one and see how they taste.

I can’t imagine any dried food wouldn’t benefit from being stored in an airtight container with o2 absorbers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:03:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ropie] [#2]
Amazon has the Auguson Farms #10 cans of shredded potatoes for around $8

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I see that Sam's has them in a gallon size carton and wonder about repacking them. They're cheap and a great meal stretcher.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ropie:
Amazon sometimes has the Auguson Farms #10 cans of shredded potatoes for around $8

https://a.co/d/d6Cgqrj
View Quote

I saw that, but thought the 5 year shelf life was a little short. They are probably still good for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:08:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ropie] [#5]
Originally Posted By gojoe:

I saw that, but thought the 5 year shelf life was a little short. They are probably still good for a long time.
View Quote

Up to 25 years, I cut the bottom of the previous pic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a fan.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119774/8FC95220-97C0-4FE6-872D-B547D56324F5_jpe-3155213.JPG
View Quote

I was looking at another brand, I should have looked at Augason.  
Thank you, cans make more sense than mylar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
Not a fan.
View Quote

I
Took me awhile to warm up, but it's a cheap, easy to prepare, bulk meal stretcher.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

^
^
^
^

This is the way, be sure to let them soak before cooking (follow the directions on the can)
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Even though we've really cut back on carbs we still use the dried hash browns from a carton for some meals. They take a good while to rehydrate but taste just fine to us.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The small milk carton versions are good to go and I would consider double packing them up
to maximize storage time.   I like the cartons due not having a larger container open for
extend time.  While the protection of the canned versions is superior, that is a bunch
of hash browns you have to use once opened.  (unless you re-pack them)

What I found is that if I used boiling hot water to re-dehydrate the dried hash browns
work quite well to fully re-hydrate them.  The added benefit of using boiling water  it
reduces the cooking time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
We buy the small little boxes for camping as we hydrate them in the box. Way easier.
Do keep a few bigger boxes at home.

Think we have a few cans of various makers stored somewhere in the house.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119774/8FC95220-97C0-4FE6-872D-B547D56324F5_jpe-3155213.JPG
View Quote

I ordered a couple of these with my new flashlights from Amazon.  Should be home before I am.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought two 50 pound sacks of dehydrated diced potatoes some 15 years ago or so. Transferred them to food grade sealed containers and sampled some a couple years ago. Soaked them overnight then fried 'em up and they tasted great. Same 50 pound sacks are 3-4x the price now if they can be found at all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gojoe:
I see that Sam's has them in a gallon size carton and wonder about repacking them. They're cheap and a great meal stretcher.
View Quote

I've got five cartons of these in storage

https://www.samsclub.com/p/golden-grill-premium-hashbrown-potatoes/prod3170020?xid=login-success

I just left them in their original container. I don't see the need to repackage, but I'm planning on rotating thought them and not storing for 20 years.

I've not seen any local at my Sam's Club in over a year   Good to see you can at least order them again.  Of course, they are $2 more than when I bought them last.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Auguson Farms shredded potatoes are not hash browns. They are a little thicker then the hungry jack hash browns.

They work I soak them overnight. The hungry jack hash browns taste better in my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">https://www.samsclub.com/p/golden-grill-premium-hashbrown-potatoes/prod3170020?xid=login-success

I just left them in their original container. I don't see the need to repackage, but I'm planning on rotating thought them and not storing for 20 years.

I've not seen any local at my Sam's Club in over a year   Good to see you can at least order them again.  Of course, they are $2 more than when I bought them last.
View Quote

@TribunusSanGeorgii
Cardboard makes stored items taste terrible.  I learned my lesson with some boxed instant mashed potatoes a long time ago.  Granted, that was a raw cardboard interior and not waxed or treated or whatever, but the potatoes (individual pouches inside the box) were terrible.

I don't leave anything inside cardboard these days.  If it's not canned or already in mylar bags it gets repacked before going into storage.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

https://www.samsclub.com/p/golden-grill-premium-hashbrown-potatoes/prod3170020?xid=login-success

View Quote

@TribunusSanGeorgii
Cardboard makes stored items taste terrible.  I learned my lesson with some boxed instant mashed potatoes a long time ago.  Granted, that was a raw cardboard interior and not waxed or treated or whatever, but the potatoes (individual pouches inside the box) were terrible.

I don't leave anything inside cardboard these days.  If it's not canned or already in mylar bags it gets repacked before going into storage.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By corruptor:

@TribunusSanGeorgii

View Quote

Good to know.

I have some instant mashed in cardboard too.  Maybe I should get off my ass and mylar them...
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought the Auguson  farm #10 cans. No muss no fuss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top