Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2022 10:06:54 AM EDT
Hey everyone, I’m not a fly fisherman but I use a lot of dresses trebles on my fresh and salt water lures. For years I purchased them (not cheap) but was at the mercy of what the manufacturer offered. So I want to start making my own. I’ve watched a bunch of videos and in know the tools I need, probably one of the many “kits” out there will work for what I’m doing.

However I need to know what type of thread to buy (I want white, red, black, and chartreuse) and what feathers, I need white, chartreuse, and pink. It seems like there’s a bunch of different thread types, not mention the feathers. I think I have the bucktail and flash figured out.

Also, any links to where to get this stuff would help. I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have four cats, black, grey and 2 orange. No chartreuse or pink though 😂
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Tools are pretty basic:
Vise
Bobbin
Scissors
Bodkin
Hackle Pliers
Whip finish tool

If you do get a kit, get a decent vise. A cheap vise that allows the hook to slip (especially for larger hooks) will be frustrating.

For materials:
Thread:
Danville or Uni-Thread 3/0

Natural hair:
Bucktail
Artic fox
Calf tail
Squirrel tail
Finn Raccoon

Synthtic hair:
DNA fiber
SF Fiber
Craft fur
Faux Bucktail
Super/Ultra hair

Feathers:
Saddle hackle/Strung hackle
Marabou

Flash:
Flashabou
Krystal Flash

Also get some good head cement, either Hard as Hull, or a UV resin. This will dramatically increase the durability.

A good mail order site is J. Stockard Fly Fishing. https://www.jsflyfishing.com/
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you post a picture of what you’re planning to tie?  I can give you a better idea once I see what it is and what size.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone. I fish 90% topwater, Spooks, Pop’rs, Mirrorlures. Adding a dressed treble increases the bite in my experience. Most of the store bought dressed trebles fail after a few fish, especially salt water species like Trout or Snook. I’ll see if I can post a photo of what I’m looking to make. The 3 color options are white, chartreuse, and pink. I’ll mix the white and chartreuse depending on water conditions. The pink I’ll use bright sunny days, quite effective.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#6]
It sounds like you have the bucktail and flash figured out.  Purchase a nice vise and not one of those that come in a fly tying kit.  The reason for this is that the jaws are really soft on the cheap vises.  You’ll quickly outgrow it and you’ll end up buying the vise you really wanted anyway.  For your dressed treble hooks, it looks like you’ll just need some strung saddle hackle in the colors you desire. For thread, start with UNI 6/0 or a UTC 140. . . Purchase at least one spool of white thread because once you’re almost ready to tie it off, hit the final few inches of thread with a colored permanent marker to get the color of the head that you want.   For larger saltwater flies, go with a heavier thread like 3/0 or 210.   If I want a clear head, I’ll usually use 2-4Lb monofilament but I’ll make sure to use a good glue or UV (Solarez) to secure it.

Purchase a little bottle of clear Sally Hansen’s Hard as Nails to use as head cement too.  There is a brush attached to the cap. . . Get a razor blade out and cut 75% of those bristles off. That’ll help you apply the cement to smaller flies.

Be aware that saddle hackles will have a natural curve to them.  There is a front and a back to them and one side is shiny and the other side is flat.  On most saltwater flies that I tie that uses saddle hackle, I tie them back to back on the hook shank so the feathers kind of spread out.

Good luck and have fun! PM me if you have any questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top