Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2023 7:40:20 PM EDT
I was drawn for a deer hunt (archery) for this coming weekend. Yesterday we had a big storm come through and the filed I have scouted out is now about 2-3 inches deep in water. The whole damn field. I have no idea if the little creek through the middle can drain it off before Saturday morning. Will deer feed/travel through flooded fields? Feed in them? I am sure bedding down is out of the question. I don't have much if any time to find a new location.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
@GaryM

If they've been active in the field before it flooded, they'll come back to it, if only to cross through it.

If it has standing water, they won't bed in it, but will feed or drink in it. Hunt the dry edges of the field if you don't have a Plan B.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Deer are use to it raining and flooding.  They will change patterns a little bit but should still use the field to eat.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I will follow through with plan A.
The field in question. flat as board, all under 2-3 inches.
Attachment Attached File

Our deer kinda suck. Up north even the possums get bigger but hey, you can only hunt what you have walking around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
There are bound to be higher patches around tree clumps and such. Focus on these. Guys successfuly hunt swamps all the time. Anything 4 inches or higher in your case gives them a dry place to nap. Good news is you’ll have new green grass chutes that they can nibble on to keep them moving.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, they're still there. A few minutes after I walked away this morning my camera caught this. Bastards were just waiting for me to leave...
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Florida deer don’t give a crap about water. They are used to it. Lots of it. Even to the point of it being a foot or two deep. They will slowly creep through it looking for new sprouts sticking out from whatever..?

Obviously as previously noted. They will not bed down in it but they don’t mind water one bit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Doe In The Pond by FredMan, on Flickr

Velvet Buck At Pond by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Yeah, they're still there. A few minutes after I walked away this morning my camera caught this. Bastards were just waiting for me to leave...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26090/WGI_0019_JPG-2963508.JPG
View Quote

That's the way it works.🤣

Last year my son was sitting in a tree stand, I walked over and told him to move to another stand.

About 10 minutes after he moved the cameras caught a nice 8 point walk out in the food plot to eat.   He is still mad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:
Florida deer don’t give a crap about water.
View Quote

*Whitetail deer
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
water doesn't bother them at all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top