Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2024 8:51:15 AM EDT
Any recommendations on storing coffee?  Type? Beans or ground?  Methodology? Freezer?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Been storing my Eight-O-Clock Columbian Ground vacuum sealed for about 8 years now. No refrigeration. When I buy the 10 oz. bags I vac-seal the whole thing. When we buy the 30 oz. bags I break it down to 10 oz. bags and seal. We keep enough for almost a year - I'm sitting here right now drinking some that I bagged last summer and it is fine. A 10 oz. bag lasts us 9 or 10 days.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Green coffee beans will last several years just placed in a burlap sack and stored beneath a roof to keep it dry.  Doesn't last forever, but it does last a long time.  Roast it, let it set a week and grind it.  Brew it and drink it.
Probably doesn't work too well as a barter item as most people don't know how to do that anymore, even though it was the norm in the 19th century.  For barter, probably instant coffee in small jars is preferable.  Unless you want to open a cafe.  Instant coffee has a very good shelf life, it isn't great when young, but doesn't degrade much from there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep my beans in Airscape containers after opening a bag.  Always fresh when I go to grind/brew.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:51:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#4]
I dry can coffee beans in half gallon mason jars and have about 24 to 32weeks worth that is rotated as our daily drinker.
Then a supply of Trader Joe's 3-in-1 instant coffee which has a 18 month best by date from manufacture but I've had 2+ year old ones that were fine.
Also Folgers and Cafe Bustelo instant coffee repackaged, vacuum sealed then stored in mylar with O2 absorbers.

I also have a few thousand vacuum sealed tea bags and caffeine pills.

The best approach is to wean myself off of caffeine now but reality is that is not going to happen until it unavailable or unaffordable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
As airtight a container as you can find and then in a cupboard.

Freezer bad, fridge bad, due to condensation and humidity.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Used to buy cases of Colombian beans from the restaurant supply.
I experienced them going rancid about 12-15 months in 1-gallon mylars with O2 absorbers.
My basement stays about 50 to 70 degrees year round, but would become damp once or twice a year. But the bags retained a perfect seal.

Since I started freeze drying a little over a year ago, I opted for just buying the freeze dried instant coffee.
I put one large jar with a double sized container of non dairy creamer and sugar in each bin of freeze dried food.
It ain’t great coffee, but it is coffee and I don’t have to worry about it going bad.
My little army won’t complain if it’s the only game in town 😂

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]

For longer term storage, I keep a couple buckets of Franklin's Finest (freeze dried coffee). It is actually very good Columbian coffee. You can buy a bag just to try before you commit to a bucket. Use about 1 1/4 teaspoon per cup. Great for backpacking/traveling.

Keep an eye on this site...once or twice a year they will run the bucket for $70 shipped.(or they use to)

Franklin's Finest
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
For long term survival ? Instant is what the army has used since WWI. Compact compared to beans or ground. Last forever if packaged correctly.  Only draw back is instant only has roughly 1/2 the caffeine content.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 8upwitHDs:

For longer term storage, I keep a couple buckets of Franklin's Finest (freeze dried coffee). It is actually very good Columbian coffee. You can buy a bag just to try before you commit to a bucket. Use about 1 1/4 teaspoon per cup. Great for backpacking/traveling.

Keep an eye on this site...once or twice a year they will run the bucket for $70 shipped.(or they use to)

Franklin's Finest
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 8upwitHDs:

Franklin's Finest

I scrutinized their website. I couldn't find anywhere where it said they were Arabica beans which means they are Robusta beans, the once that give you a headache.

If you know differently, please let me know.

Originally Posted By Reverend_Jim:
For long term survival ? Instant is what the army has used since WWI. Compact compared to beans or ground. Last forever if packaged correctly.  Only draw back is instant only has roughly 1/2 the caffeine content.

And tastes like crap.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

I scrutinized their website. I couldn't find anywhere where it said they were Arabica beans which means they are Robusta beans, the once that give you a headache.

If you know differently, please let me know.
View Quote

Hmmmmm....the packaging just says 100% Freeze Dried Columbian Coffee. I don't know which beans they are....I pour crystals over hot water....stir, add creamer and drink. No headaches ever. Very yummy coffee.

You can buy a single bag at the site I referenced just to try it out.
Single Bag

Best I could find for you are the Amazon feedback and comments: No mention of headaches.
Amazon

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm not a coffee snob now so i doubt very seriously i'll care much if i'm digging into storage so i buy freeze dried and seal it up in mylar with oxygen absorbers

here's a sale on folgers 72oz for $30 with subscribe and save, which you can cancel as soon as you get your coffee

Amazon Product
  • Contains 6 - 12 Ounce Folgers Classic Roast Instant Coffee

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
Green coffee beans will last several years just placed in a burlap sack and stored beneath a roof to keep it dry.  Doesn't last forever, but it does last a long time. Roast it, let it set a week and grind it.  Brew it and drink it.
Probably doesn't work too well as a barter item as most people don't know how to do that anymore, even though it was the norm in the 19th century.  For barter, probably instant coffee in small jars is preferable.  Unless you want to open a cafe.  Instant coffee has a very good shelf life, it isn't great when young, but doesn't degrade much from there.
View Quote

This is the way, although while the window for staying fresh is probably more like 3ish years storage time in a cool, air-conditioned space, I’m sure they’d be drinkable for longer assuming nothing grows on or in them.

All roasted coffee will go stale in weeks if whole bean, much faster if grounds. Doesn’t matter if you O2 seal it, vacuum pack it, whatever. Also as has been posted, freezer or fridge will kill your beans too and the only answer for long-term(several years+) storage is the canned “coffee” like the Folgers or McDonalds brands, or instant “coffee,” as they are both basically already “pre-staled” by different means. After no coffee for a while, even the snobs will appreciate some instant stuff with a pinch of sugar in it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Why store your caffeine in bean form?  I just bought 1,000 caffeine tablets on Amazon and put the bottles in the pantry.  They don't take up much space and will last for years.  I always bring a couple of tablets with me when I travel anyway to make sure I don't get a caffeine withdrawal headache when I travel.  I understand the desire for coffee (I'm drinking some right now) but I figure if something has happened that's bad enough that I can't get coffee, that will be the least of my concerns.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
Why store your caffeine in bean form?  I just bought 1,000 caffeine tablets on Amazon and put the bottles in the pantry.  They don't take up much space and will last for years.  I always bring a couple of tablets with me when I travel anyway to make sure I don't get a caffeine withdrawal headache when I travel.  I understand the desire for coffee (I'm drinking some right now) but I figure if something has happened that's bad enough that I can't get coffee, that will be the least of my concerns.
View Quote

if something has happened bad enough that you can't get coffee then having coffee will be one hell of a morale boost

i've got canned coffee from WWII that's still perfectly fine.  stored correctly, freeze dried coffee will outlive you by a whole bunch
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:23:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#15]
Another thought for volume caffeine. I packed 100 1 gallon tea bags in mylar with o2 absorbers a while back. I'll have to pull some out and try them. They've been packed for over 10 years.

Coffee it is not, but if life went sideways, I doubt any would complaint about sweet tea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top