Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 8:20:51 PM EDT
My Butternut HF6V antenna has a 75 ohm matching cable. Last week I disconnected my R8 coax and moved it aside to mow the yard. I'm still using a spare bedroom in the house as my temporary shack so the coax just lays on the ground. It will be buried when my real shack is completed. When I went to reconnect the coax the connector on the end of the matching cable broke. I ordered a new connector and installed it Sunday. I lost less than half an inch of length. It all works fine. SWR is the same. What if the matching cable was damaged in the middle. Could I solder on a new connector and be good to go? My question is. It the length of a matching cable important? Or just that it's 75 ohms?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
That short amount won't make much difference, but there is a formula for the matching cable. I will go see if I can find it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The answer is "both", the surge impedance of 75 Ohms and the length of the cable. We see the same thing in adjusting the length of ladder line to tune an antenna.   For a test oif your antenna, check what frequency the advertised 2:1 or 3: 1 SWR points are. It may have changed or not. I built a 4:1 coaxial cable BALUN for 6 meters according to the hand book. I was kinda amazed it worked. hth
Rob
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The 75 ohms is from the center conductor to the shield. It is a function of the distance from the center conductor to the shield and the characteristic of the dielectric. The length has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#4]
Yes the length of the cable is important along with the impedance.

On that particular one, it's supposed to be a 1/4 wavelength at 20 meters. I've been dealing with this myself as I've been rebuilding one of those antennas and it didn't come with the matching cable.

Half an inch shouldn't be a problem at that frequency, but a foot would be. Half definitely would be.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteveOak: The length has nothing to do with it.
View Quote
Negative Ghost Rider!

Length is extremely important. It must be a quarter wave and that must take into account the velocity of propagation of the coax.

DX Engineering sells a ready made replacement for this part.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteveOak] [#6]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
Negative Ghost Rider!

Length is extremely important. It must be a quarter wave and that must take into account the velocity of propagation of the coax.

View Quote

My statements were regarding characteristic impedance and are absolutely correct.

75 ohm cable is 75 ohms whether it is 1 meter or 50 feet long.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:30:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#7]
Originally Posted By SteveOak:

My statements were regarding characteristic impedance and are absolutely correct.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
Negative Ghost Rider!

True, but it's function as an impedance matching device (such as OP's case) uses that impedance in a length-dependent way. It's a 75 ohm transmission line of x wavelengths at y frequency so has a particular effect.

As a 1/4 wave on 20 meters as an example, it would take a higher impedance of a little over 100 ohms (112.5), and "flip" it around the 75 ohm impedance of the line down to 50 ohms.

A 1/2 wavelength is impedance-transparent... so if a 75 ohm line is 1/2 wavelength or multiple thereof, a 50 ohm antenna as an example would appear as 50 ohms at the other end of the line, ignoring the 75 ohm impedance of the line. This is how people often use 75 ohm cable in 50 ohm systems, by tuning the line length.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you, Gamma!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

True, but it's function as an impedance matching device (such as OP's case) uses that impedance in a length-dependent way. It's a 75 ohm transmission line of x wavelengths at y frequency so has a particular effect.

As a 1/4 wave on 20 meters as an example, it would take a higher impedance of a little over 100 ohms (112.5), and "flip" it around the 75 ohm impedance of the line down to 50 ohms.

A 1/2 wavelength is impedance-transparent... so if a 75 ohm line is 1/2 wavelength or multiple thereof, a 50 ohm antenna as an example would appear as 50 ohms at the other end of the line, ignoring the 75 ohm impedance of the line. This is how people often use 75 ohm cable in 50 ohm systems, by tuning the line length.
View Quote

Thank you for saying I was correct.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Try this one on for size! ARRL article,"My Feed Line Tunes My Antenna" 73, Rob
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wait, what?

OP writes:

Originally Posted By Ohio_Sharkman: My question is. It the length of a matching cable important? Or just that it's 75 ohms?
You write:

Originally Posted By SteveOak: The length has nothing to do with it.
Gamma writes:

Originally Posted By Gamma762: True, but it's function as an impedance matching device (such as OP's case) uses that impedance in a length-dependent way.
In the context of the OP's question your answer is not correct. Trying to defend it on the basis of some fine point of semantics is...questionable

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Whatever. LOL
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Impedance, length, and velocity factor all come into play.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the reply's. The matching cable works, after my repair. DXE does sell an exact replacement for $80. I really don't like the connector on the matching cable. There are no threads, or any other mechanical means of keeping the inner and outer conductors from moving independently. The heat shrink tubing is the only thing keeping the connector from twisting and breaking the center conductor. Once it's sealed and underground it will probably last a long time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Sharkman:
Thanks for the reply's. The matching cable works, after my repair. DXE does sell an exact replacement for $80. I really don't like the connector on the matching cable. There are no threads, or any other mechanical means of keeping the inner and outer conductors from moving independently. The heat shrink tubing is the only thing keeping the connector from twisting and breaking the center conductor. Once it's sealed and underground it will probably last a long time.
View Quote

I contemplated putting a BNC on the antenna end of mine, with a BNC to Banana adapter. And then a UHF female on the other end to connect to the 50 ohm feedline. RG59 to make it easier to include a choke as I don't plan on using an amplifier.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#16]
No worries on the lost length!,........the water intrusion makes up for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
No worries on the lost length!,........the water intrusion makes up for it.
View Quote

It's not ideal, but I do protect the connector from water. The end connected to the antenna is sealed very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top