Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2022 8:56:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harry311]
I want to put out some Cellular trail cameras on the lease, any recommendations? going to put 3 to 4 depending on the monthly cost.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:27:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caniac_Nation] [#1]
Do you mean cellular instead of WIFI? I have been using Moultrie Mobile cellular for years. They’re pretty good, but can be hit or miss, depending on whether you have a decent signal where you place it. I hunt2400 acres in a club and there are some places on the property I just can’t put the cams because they will kill the batteries within 24 hours trying to find a signal and upload the pics.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:06:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harry311] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Caniac_Nation:
Do you mean cellular instead of WIFI? I have been using Moultrie Mobile cellular for years. They’re pretty good, but can be hit or miss, depending on whether you have a decent signal where you place it. I hunt2400 acres in a club and there are some places on the property I just can’t put the cams because they will kill the batteries within 24 hours trying to find a signal and upload the pics.
View Quote

Yes, Sorry. Cellular- edited post. That is kind of what I am worried about. May have to use cellular in just a few spots and standard SD card cameras where service is spotty.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:25:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#3]
I have a Tactacam Reveal X and a Reveal SK. I'm very happy with both. I do get great signal because they are directly across the street from a cell tower. The batteries seem to last a couple thousand pictures. I've been pretty impressed with them.

The only thing I did like is that both cameras have to be on the same plan if they are on the same account. I wanted the unlimited plan for one camera, and a smaller plan for the other. I wasn't able to do that. I just wanted to point this out, since their website certainly doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I can only speak to what I have, which is 3 Tacticam Reveal X.  Two are Verizon, 1 ATT.  They work, and I don’t have any major complaints.  The biggest challenge is picking a carrier that will have service where you put them.  The gen 1 Reveal X can be had for the lowest cost of the major cell cams.

The newer Spypoint sorts that out, but at a higher price point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
I have a Tactacam Reveal X and a Reveal SK. I'm very happy with both. I do get great signal because they are directly across the street from a cell tower. The batteries seem to last a couple thousand pictures. I've been pretty impressed with them.

The only thing I did like is that both cameras have to be on the same plan if they are on the same account. I wanted the unlimited plan for one camera, and a smaller plan for the other. I wasn't able to do that. I just wanted to point this out, since their website certainly doesn't.
View Quote
I'm doing the same.   I really like the solar panel charger.   I don't have any complaints about this setup.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you have to have a phone with the given carrier for this to work or just any cellphone. I have t-mobile, so I was wondering if that would be a problem
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
Do you have to have a phone with the given carrier for this to work or just any cellphone. I have t-mobile, so I was wondering if that would be a problem
View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Tactacam RevealX here as well.  I was having fits with a piece of shit Covert cell cam (that still barely works even though it's been to Covert twice!).  Tactacam is what Arfcom recommended and they were right.  It's head and shoulders better than the Covert.  Easier to setup, takes better quality photos, etc.  Wish I could find a solar charger for it because they don't offer them on their website.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Tactacam.

Do not get spypoint.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:52:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar556223] [#10]
I have one Ridgetec and 5 Brownings. The Ridgetec has the better ap, it but loves batteries, so it has a 12v UPS batt now.

I highly recommend Trail Cam Pro, they double the factory warranty and have great customer service.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Red-Stater:
Tactacam.

Do not get spypoint.
View Quote

I have 5 Spypoints and I can't quite figure them out . . . some work great all season and others work great for a few weeks and then stop transmitting.  I'm about ready to ditch all of them.

I'm waiting on a Moultrie to show up so I can compare them.

Might end up saving up Bass Pro points and buying a tactacam or something else.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for the Tactacam reveal X2.0 I have 2 of them and they have been great for the price.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Tactacam Revelle and I really like it.  It takes great pics and easy to set up.  I hope to get 1 more this year.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KingOfSpam:

I have 5 Spypoints and I can't quite figure them out . . . some work great all season and others work great for a few weeks and then stop transmitting.  I'm about ready to ditch all of them.

I'm waiting on a Moultrie to show up so I can compare them.

Might end up saving up Bass Pro points and buying a tactacam or something else.
View Quote

Same here as far as SPYPOINT.  I’ve got 4 of them.  Maybe some will work, some won’t, then they reverse rolls.  When they work, they work.  The problem is knowing when and which ones will work.  I followed the advice of a lotta folks here and got the Tactacam reveal.  Doesn’t seem to go through batteries like SPYPOINT.  I really liked the SPYPOINT when it worked, but they really frustrated me with their reliability.  The day and night pictures were really good.  Pretty happy with the Tacticam for now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 5 SPYPOINT cameras
1 flooded and wouldn’t  work anyway because it uses 2g cellular
1 2g cellular no longer trans mits

2 that are the newer 4g and are being used as a security camera that work ok’ish.

1 of the new flex camera that I thought if I bought a service plan ALL of the camera would transmit photos,Nope!  Service plan needed for each individual camera.
The flex does video but because there is > than 25% cell signal it eats batteries

My buddy has a SPYPOINT that  no longer works and cannot get any customer service. He is also having trouble getting them to stop charging his CC.

The flex does have decent pictures

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cervelorider] [#16]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
I'm doing the same.   I really like the solar panel charger.   I don't have any complaints about this setup.
View Quote

@madmathew
Can you use 1 solar panel charger and move it around to your Tacticams as they get battery wear?  Or do you need a solar charger for each camera?
I just bought a Gen2 Tacticam Reveal X and it takes 12 AA batteries.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Tactacam here and I really like them. Just bought 3 solar panel/ battery charger packs for them for next season. Very happy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I love tactacam.  Super easy to set up and manage through their app.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cervelorider:

@madmathew
Can you use 1 solar panel charger and move it around to your Tacticams as they get battery wear?  Or do you need a solar charger for each camera?
I just bought a Gen2 Tacticam Reveal X and it takes 12 AA batteries.
View Quote
@cervelorider

I would use a solar panel for each camera just so you aren't out there so much leaving your sent and possibly pushing the deer away.  They did release a lithium one piece battery a week ago or so.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Cuddelink is teir 1.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 2 Spypoint flex, 2 spypoint Link micros and 2 cell links.

I have had both of the link micros, 1 of the cell links, and one of the Flexes replaced under warranty over the past few years.

I do like the cameras, and their customer service has been good for me.  But can be a pain to work thru sometimes.

This past season, I had bought 2 of the flexes and one of them worked great from start the other I had to get replaced under warranty.  After that it has worked great.

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Spypont seems to be working good so far. I had a tacticam that the antenna stopped working and would not get signal on my property or in the city. The spyponts have been pretty good, but the battery will die at around 20-30%. They are all crappy, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a love hate relationship with the Moultrie Delta cams I have.  Had eight, now down to six.

When they're good, they're good.
Often times they are middle of the road.
When they're bad, they're really bad.

Biggest con---12 lithium AAs which last between 5-9 months in them depending on a lot of factors.

I love the app though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]
My brother bought a cuddelink camera, and I’ve been searching for the “link” cameras and dont even see them on their website.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got 2 of the Moultrie Edge cams. They search for best available cell signal and us that which seems really nice. But no real world experience yet just basing it off friends advice that they rock.  I want to figure out solar battery bank next.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#28]
If you want the best and most reliable, buy a Spartan. They are expensive but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FDC:

Biggest con---12 lithium AAs which last between 5-9 months in them depending on a lot of factors.

View Quote

Looks like I need 24-36 lithium AAs today

Camera 2 might be OK.  I have this one set for instant upload watching my driveway, so it only checks in when it sees something.  It was already below 0 and falling the last time it last sent me a pic.  That would likely affect what the battery percentage is.

No idea what is going on with camera 3.

but this pic shows how the Moultrie cams can be unpredictable with battery life.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone know what brick and mortar store sells adapters for Tactacam to get a solar charger to work?  Tactacam says you need a 4x1.7 mm adapter.

Using this:
https://www.hmeproducts.com/trail-camera-12v-solar-auxiliary-power-pack/

for a Tactacam Reval X 2.0.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:18:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DD1801] [#32]
It seems like most cameras nowadays do either AT&T or Verizon.  

Edit - I meant that as they can pick up either network, so you don’t have to find out which company has better reception in your area and buy a camera with that particular sim card.  And I’m sure it’s been said, but the camera does not have to be on the same carrier as your cell phone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#33]
This has been my first year using trail cams at all. I started out with a spypoint flex, it worked great but I wanted to try other stuff before I got in too deep with one brand so I got a stealthcam deceptor, it takes great photos and the plans are better values in my opinion so at this point I am leaning towards more of those at this point. I also bought 10 non cellular stealth cams that I am very pleased with. Next year I plan to run about 20-24 non cell cams during the summer scouting season as well as 6-8 cell cams, during season I will pull the non cell cams and move the cell cams to stand locations.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I had 4 spy points and then, based on advice here, got a tacticam.  I’m going all in on tacticam because pics are better, the camera works consistently, and I can take pics on demand from my phone.  I got tired of spy points randomly stop working.  I use the xp pro (?) .  Think that’s it.  Takes a lot of batteries.  Just got a solar powered one today, so will see how that goes.  The days of pulling cards for me is over.  Plus, I live a little over 100 miles away.  I love watching while at home.  I’m no help on just cards.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m using a Tacticam Reveal SK which is an older model from them. Works great other then it will always take a picture every hour and send it to me. Even though there is no movement. I’ve moved it around my property and even put another brand camera in the same spot. The other camera didn’t take near as many pictures. I might try their newer models if they don’t take so many pictures.

I love having solar panels on my cameras and the rechargeable battery packs. I leave my cameras out for months and they stay fully charged.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I like my tactacams.  Easy to setup.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Two tactacam Xpro's.  Bought new from scheels, one in August, the other a couple weeks later.  The second sends foggy photos.  I just put new batteries in the first, it took photos for a couple days, and died.  

I left a 3/5 star review on the tactacam website after a few weeks with both cameras, that was never published.  I don't have much faith in tactacam quality or customer service.  These were my first cell cams, I have years with non-cell cams.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Phobby:
If you want the best and most reliable, buy a Spartan. They are expensive but you get what you pay for.
View Quote

^^^THIS. Spartan is the best and their prices have come down a lot. Their cams are also dual service now, Verizon/AT&T. They use whatever signal is stronger.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By NonTypical361:

^^^THIS. Spartan is the best and their prices have come down a lot. Their cams are also dual service now, Verizon/AT&T. They use whatever signal is stronger.
View Quote

Can you say what you like about it and some details on what’s good about it?  I’m not familiar with this camera, but open to something new and better.
@NonTypical361
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NonTypical361] [#40]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:

Can you say what you like about it and some details on what’s good about it?  I’m not familiar with this camera, but open to something new and better.
@NonTypical361
View Quote

Picture quality is excellent. Super fast trigger speed and transmission of pics. Being able to share cameras with other users is a big plus. And being able to control settings on the camera remotely via the app is great as well. I run my cameras year round for the last several years with no issues. You also have the option of adding the camera to a cellphone plan, or buying data directly from Spartan. Whatever works best for you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NonTypical361:

Picture quality is excellent. Super fast trigger speed and transmission of pics. Being able to share cameras with other users is a big plus. And being able to control settings on the camera remotely via the app is great as well. I run my cameras year round for the last several years with no issues. You also have the option of adding the camera to a cellphone plan, or buying data directly from Spartan. Whatever works best for you.
View Quote

Thanks for the detailed response.  One thing I like about the tacticam is the ability to take on demand pictures.  I haven’t looked a lot at this camera a lot yet , but it looks like it has the capability to do on demand video and pics.  My baseline for comparison is with the SPYPOINT, so my expectations aren’t very high.  If it functions as advertised, then 3 or 400 bucks seems worth it, for the long haul.  I really enjoy looking at the pics that I get.  This seems like it might be a step up from the Tacticam and worth the extra coin.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Spartan’s Go Live cams can do on demand pics and video, and they’re in that price range.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#43]
This year i switched to the Tacticam X-Pro,  
one of them is in an area with poor signal.
I have the solar pannel, long range antenna and Lipo battery attached to that camera. (Solar pannel does not charge the camera's battery, it has its own battery in the Pannel)
sends about 30 pics a day and the battery went to 30% over night.
tried to download the HD pics and videos, even after paying extra for that feature. no go, the firm ware is the newest and the recommended version for HD
I called Tacticam and when she looked at my account, she said the SD card was bad, it was the card that came with the camera and was formatted
The card being bad is probably the reason for not getting the HD pics and running the battery down.
sooo   Ill have to swap the card and charge the batteries, then see what happens.

pictures are decent.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2023 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Got this off a tacticam in my pasture.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#46]
we have moultrie and tactacam at our camp. i don't know anything about the cost or plans or specs, but i can say this: tactacam pictures are much better, but the camera is pretty sensitive so you get a lot of pictures of nothing but weeds blowing in the wind.  either one will get you a shitload of photos of coons.  our camp is in a rural pretty much undeveloped county in Mississippi.  some areas have decent cell coverage some have crap coverage.  you have to experiment because if the camera is in a crap area you are wasting your time.  rule of thumb if you can get a decent cell signal like 2-3 bars then you should be ok.  LTE or 5G you are golden.  the last thing is, the camera antenna needs a clear line of sight to the sky.  if you put it down deep in the swamp probably you won't have good results.  you need a pretty open area and on top of that they seem to do better when put on small trees as opposed to trees with big trunks.  i think the cell cameras have been a real game changer as far as tracking down deer.  if you find a good deer on camera and hunt that spot intensively sooner or later he's going to show up.  some deer seem to only show at night though and there are a few studs that are on camera yet no one has had a sniff of an in person experience.  at the very least it keeps the dream alive.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Which ones would hide well enough that people won’t see them?  I’m about to move onto 48 acres where I’ve been building, I have a private 200 meter range and all, but given that it’s out in the boonies and until late summer 2023 had never been developed at all, I’m concerned about people hunting there without permission, and just general trespassing. I don’t want people around the range where they could get shot by accident. I’m still going to use it for deer, but at least until everyone gets used to me living there and not allowing others to hunt except for a select few it’ll be a people spotter as well. Definitely needs to be hidden and transmit high definition pictures when anything moves in the area.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I had 2 Spypoint flex-s, both junk. Would not charge via solar, lithium backup was dead in 2 weeks.

I also had a Tactacam Reveal XB. Worked for a while, then had software bugs. Would send every pic with the exact same date/time in 2026. Did a software update via a SD card and it worked for another 6 mos. Before developing another software issue. I would get multiple pics at 10:26 day and night, every single day. Then it got moisture under the lens and I threw it out.

So both the SpyPoint and Tactacam were junk.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a Tactacam had for a year with no problems. I also bought a ZTGOJ (paid $140.00) about 6 mths ago, that the Hunting Farmer reviewed and like it a lot. no problems so far. It will trigger if anything comes into view or you can watch anytime. has pan/tilt & zoom. also has a microphone, you can talk to any one within ear shot. Has night vision or you can turn a white light on (remotely) also has an alarm you can set to go off (on the camera itself) if something comes into field of vision. I pay about $15.00/mth for 3GB. I have never used that much yet. It takes 30 sec vids & saves them. I have it in a tree about 15' up & about 50yards from my cabin for security, I can see a bear by the porch but not see a dog size animal, it would have to be closer for that. I plan on getting another soon.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top