Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2023 9:47:00 PM EDT
Last weekend was deer opener and my son and I hunted one of our company properties. There is a new irrigation holding pond on it and when we got close the sound of all the birds on it was amazing. We snuck in closer, in the dark, and checked it out with binos. It was completely packed with ducks and geese. We are talking @ 100 of each. Now my son wants to hunt waterfowl.

A little background, pre kids I was pretty seriously into waterfowl hunting. I owned two high end retrievers, now passed, and helped a high end trainer train dogs. When the kids were born, 18 years ago, I put everything away and haven’t touched it since. Last weekend I went out to the shed and started finding all the old equipment. Lots of good decoys I custom painted and flocked. Also found all my old calls, including two I had custom made for each kid when they were born. Most of the calls are high end acrylic calls by Doc Hull, D&D and others. A couple sound like the reeds are giving up the ghost but most sound gtg. Now my son needs to learn to speak the language!

Are there any YouTube channels you would recommend for him to learn from? I can still call but it has been so long it’s hard for me to articulate what I am doing for him. I need him to be able to figure it out so he and his buddies can hunt on their own.

Thanks in advance! I am looking forward to reopening this chapter of my life, now with my son!
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Youtube channels offering instructionals:

Surviving Duck Season
Midwest Flyways
The Flyway
Legendary Gear with George Lynch
The Cole Townsend
Trevor Shannahan
Molt Gear
Kile Jones
Field Proven
Got Game Technologies
Nick Johnson

Nothing beats in person instruction though.  I learned the short reed goose call from one of the best callers in the nation.
For a mallard duck call I learned from 2 former MN state champs when I was a kid.

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:
Youtube channels offering instructionals:

Surviving Duck Season
Midwest Flyways
The Flyway
Legendary Gear with George Lynch
The Cole Townsend
Trevor Shannahan
Molt Gear
Kile Jones
Field Proven
Got Game Technologies
Nick Johnson

Nothing beats in person instruction though.  I learned the short reed goose call from one of the best callers in the nation.
For a mallard duck call I learned from 2 former MN state champs when I was a kid.

View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top