Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2022 9:29:47 PM EDT
Yesterday evening I was out at my dad’s when I saw the armadillo that’s been tearing up his yard cruising around. I ran inside to grab my Little Badger (16” barrel 22 LR), that I’d left there a few weeks before, to do some pest control. I got between 15-20 yards and took the shot. He jumped about two feet in the air and started running towards one of my dad’s storage buildings (where we’re pretty sure he’s burrowed a home under, but we can’t see underneath). I noticed the rifle shot was pretty quiet, so when I got inside I realized I had accidentally used 40 grain CCI Quiets instead of supers. My question to all the veteran armadillo hunters is, at 20 yards is the CCI Quiet enough to do any damage to a 9 banded armadillo? There was no blood, but I figured depending on where I hit him and if the round didn’t exit, that could be a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot placement. Where did you hit him? I’ve killed them with air guns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Shot placement. Where did you hit him? I’ve killed them with air guns.
View Quote

Aimed for just forward of center of mass. Almost where a double lung on a whitetail would be.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I bet he died under the shed, slowly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
View Quote

If that’s indeed the case, it’s unfortunate. I try to be as ethical as I can be, and the goal is not to cause unnecessary suffering to anything.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By canthony123:

If that's indeed the case, it's unfortunate. I try to be as ethical as I can be, and the goal is not to cause unnecessary suffering to anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By canthony123:

If that's indeed the case, it's unfortunate. I try to be as ethical as I can be, and the goal is not to cause unnecessary suffering to anything.
I don't know about suffering but I bet you caused a bunch of unnecessary stink.

Don't feel bad about using the quiets, he would have likely done the same thing with supers. I've seen them run after being hit midbody with centerfire rifles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
He’s probably going to die. I’ve shot them with a number of different rounds and you’d be surprised how tough they are.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about suffering but I bet you caused a bunch of unnecessary stink.

Don't feel bad about using the quiets, he would have likely done the same thing with supers. I've seen them run after being hit midbody with centerfire rifles.
View Quote

It was very interesting to see the reaction after the hit. For what it’s worth, my dad told me he hasn’t seen the dillo in the entire last week. So maybe the Quiet either did it’s job, or he’s moved on entirely.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By thatguybryan:
He’s probably going to die. I’ve shot them with a number of different rounds and you’d be surprised how tough they are.
View Quote

I’d imagine. I talked to a guy at work this past week who takes out a lot of armadillos, and he was like, “Oh yeah, subs work great on them.” Then he paused and continues, “Ohhhh, but those Quiets are moving almost 200 FPS slower than my normal subs, so I don’t know.”
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
My thought is the problem isn't so much the Quiets being somewhat low on power compared to regular high velocity ammo but that your point of aim could be way off.

If your rifle is sighted for HV your "double lung" shot could have got mothing but dirt 4 or 5 inches low
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Give it 4 days. You should smell him.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it happened today. There’s super thick woods right behind the shed and I was standing on the wood line this afternoon. Depending on which way the wind was blowing you could make out that distinct road kill smell. Not exactly sure where it was coming from, but it leads me to believe the armadillo did expire. Plus, it doesn’t look like there are any new holes being dug in the yard. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Seriously man? Dillo's are our state bird. Its like a felony here to shoot them!
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I see dead ones along the road all the time but haven't seen one alive yet. I live in Mid Missouri north of the Missouri River.

I hated armadillos and turtles when I worked on the rail roads while in the Army. Both would get stuck in the frogs of switches and derail trains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top