Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2023 9:20:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued]
Hi guys
I've got a bunch of questions, hoping to get some decent/quick information.  Backstory: recently bought some land, trail cameras have shown 4 different bucks and a few does in the past 3 days. Bucks mostly at midnight...  I've gone rifle hunting the last 2 years and been skunked.  My sister in law's boyfriend is salivating at these bucks and insisting I get a crossbow and go to town; rifle doesn't start til Thanksgiving week.

1.  Do I need a tree stand, or is building a ground blind (fallen brush and camo net) OK?  Thinking 20-30 yards from the trail they use.  Edit: The trail is basically an ATV route, S-curve through what looks like an old pine tree plot - straight lines of some sort of pine.  So, not a lot of trunk to climb up, but good news is it's all heavily shaded and lots of old pine needles (so relatively quiet).  I can pick a 'lane' and basically see down the long part of the trail.  Not sure how the pines mess with the wind, as I haven't spent much time in them.

2. Crossbow - he recommended Ravin, but damn that's some sticker shock.  We have a store in town that's pretty archery heavy and does my FFL transfers, so I bet I can get some equipment, but I don't want to be raped all at once.  Buy me drink and some foreplay first, y'know?

3. Scents- my idea of scent control is throwing a running t-shirt that I wore into the forest.  I already walk the trails with my dog a few times a week and it doesn't seem to bother them later that night.  Would letting my scent permeate the area a week or so before hunting be dumb, lazy, or genius?

4. Camo - ok, so we wear orange for rifle season. Do I really need camo?  I have plenty of OCP, woodland, marpat, kryptek and OCP to last a lifetime.  I was thinking of wearing a boonie hat and throwing some camo netting and foliage on top as well so it's not so obvious when I peek over the top of the blind.  

5.  Location - where the F do these guys hide in the day??  Yes, I realize it's the million dollar question.  My land is dotted with huge, monstrous, 'deer stands," (See below).  I'm half thinking of going up one around 4pm with my night vision/thermal and just waiting for a few hours to see if I can track where the come in from.  

Thanks for the advice and ridicule.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Answers/opinions below. Others may have different answers.

Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Hi guys
I've got a bunch of questions, hoping to get some decent/quick information.  Backstory: recently bought some land, trail cameras have shown 4 different bucks and a few does in the past 3 days. Bucks mostly at midnight...  I've gone rifle hunting the last 2 years and been skunked.  My sister in law's boyfriend is salivating at these bucks and insisting I get a crossbow and go to town; rifle doesn't start til Thanksgiving week.

1.  Do I need a tree stand, or is building a ground blind (fallen brush and camo net) OK?  Thinking 20-30 yards from the trail they use.

There are pluses and minuses with all options. The higher up you are, the less scent you will disperse, as well as be out of sight. Ground blinds are nice if you’re lazy and don’t want to climb but the deer are more apt to see/smell you. Blinds are also safer than climbing. I’m 50 years old so I like hunting out of box stands that are easy to get into quickly to minimize scent. I have a climber too which helps because I can go virtually everywhere there are tall trees with no low branches… but I hate climbing up, only to be dripping sweat.

2. Crossbow - he recommended Ravin, but damn that's some sticker shock.  We have a store in town that's pretty archery heavy and does my FFL transfers, so I bet I can get some equipment, but I don't want to be raped all at once.  Buy me drink and some foreplay first, y'know?

I’ve had my crossbow for about 9 years and I paid $300-$400 for my Barnett Jackel. You don’t have to get a top of the line crossbow to kill a deer. Something with a decent scope and 300 fps speed should be fine.

3. Scents- my idea of scent control is throwing a running t-shirt that I wore into the forest.  I already walk the trails with my dog a few times a week and it doesn't seem to bother them later that night.  Would letting my scent permeate the area a week or so before hunting be dumb, lazy, or genius?

It’s all about the wind to help with scent. I like using the HuntStand app to see how the wind is blowing before I pick a spot. Deer that are upwind and can’t smell your scent will get remarkably close. If the deer are used to your scent, I suppose that would help, but I would try to minimize your scent altogether. Deer are most comfortable when they think they’re alone.

4. Camo - ok, so we wear orange for rifle season. Do I really need camo?  I have plenty of OCP, woodland, marpat, kryptek and OCP to last a lifetime.  I was thinking of wearing a boonie hat and throwing some camo netting and foliage on top as well so it's not so obvious when I peek over the top of the blind.  

If you’re in a blind, all black is the way to go. If you’re in a tree, then camo can help. While the deer are supposed to be color blind, you just want something to break up your outline. I like wearing a thin camo balaclava.

5.  Location - where the F do these guys hide in the day??  Yes, I realize it's the million dollar question.  My land is dotted with huge, monstrous, 'deer stands," (See below).  I'm half thinking of going up one around 4pm with my night vision/thermal and just waiting for a few hours to see if I can track where the come in from.  

They often bed down somewhere they feel safe.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/Resized_20231001_164334_jpeg-2993471.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 2:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Hi guys

1.  Do I need a tree stand, or is building a ground blind (fallen brush and camo net) OK?  Thinking 20-30 yards from the trail they use.  Edit: The trail is basically an ATV route, S-curve through what looks like an old pine tree plot - straight lines of some sort of pine.  So, not a lot of trunk to climb up, but good news is it's all heavily shaded and lots of old pine needles (so relatively quiet).  I can pick a 'lane' and basically see down the long part of the trail.  Not sure how the pines mess with the wind, as I haven't spent much time in them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/269389/Resized_20231001_164334_jpeg-2993471.JPG
View Quote

1.  Ground hunting is fine, but they will smell and see you more easily.  It's harder to see them first without the height advantage as well.  I prefer to hunt from a tree stand and not blinds, but I'm a vertical bow hunter and I don't like being restrained.  

2.  Generally speaking, any crossbow today of decent brand will kill deer no problem.  Your bigger problem is having enough time to get properly comfortable with it.  It's not a rifle, it does take time to get good with it.  Plus you need to shoot your broad heads and make sure they fly well.  You can't just shoot the field points, then slap on a broad head and go hunting.  Well, you can...but it's not smart.  

3.  No mature deer...besides maybe urban deer...but they're dumb anyway...is going to handle you spreading your scent around there in a significant manner.  If they have areas to go with less pressure (that's what human scent is  to them, pressure) they will seek it out.  

4.  If you're going to be in a blind, don't worry about what you're wearing.  Dark clothes are better but it really doesn't matter much.  Try to keep movement to a minimum and keep it dark.  Don't backlight yourself.  

5.  They bed where they can see a good area, and they can smell the area they can't see.  Like a ridge with the wind coming over it.  They bed facing down the ridge.  Usually in very heavy cover.  If you're seeing bucks only after dark, they're not bedding close to where you're getting pictures of them.  Could be several hundred yards away from bedding.  Now, once rut is in full swing all bets are off.  They run around like idiots covering a LOT more ground than usual and will bed where they happen to be, but they try to force their hot doe into heavy cover *usually*.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top