Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2024 7:38:27 PM EDT
I just Started Trail life USA with my son, its like boy Scouts but non woke and outdoor focused. there will be backpacking trips and campouts throughout the year. I'm a registered adult and will be attending most of the hiking and campouts. i tried several ospray packs at Cabella's but the hip belts are too short for me.

what brands should I be looking at?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#1]
Look at ULA packs.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/

You can select the style of shoulder strap (S or J), torso length, and hip belt size (up to 47"+).

You can contact ULA about sizing questions and they also do custom work.

With ULA you can easily swap hip belts. I have 3 ULA packs and got a couple of extra hip belts so my kids could also use the packs by swapping to smaller belts (they are very tall and thin versus me being average and tending towards stocky).

Possible hip belt extender https://www.rei.com/product/217462/rei-co-op-packmod-hipbelt-extender

Not specific to ULA, the volume and weight of the gear that is going into the pack makes a big difference on what pack to select.
Common recommendation is to figure out the gear first then shop based on the volume of pack you will need.
Or go my route and buy 15+ packs to make sure that you have one for every possible season, weather condition, trip length, and gear load out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Granite Gear’s Re-Fit adjustable hip belts are available for waist sizes up to 52” if you call and order it. I’m not sure if they make different size shoulder harnesses for current packs, though. They did for some discontinued models (Nimbus models) and may still have some on hand. I ordered an XL shoulder harness and hip belt for a used pack I bought 6-8 months ago and just ordered each in L.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
@chet694

Hey fellow TLUSA member! I am also big and round and try to camp with the boys.

I went to REI and got fitted for a pack. They have several to choose from. I ended up with an REI pack, but you can find the other brands much cheaper elsewhere once you find one you like. I do the same for other equioment too. Great place to fit test if you have one near by. Dont forget to log in to https://hikerdirect.com/ for discounted ALPS gear.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Gregory packs makes packs for larger frames. My wife and I both have Gregory packs, and love 'em. Well built, useable features, and they're very comfortable. Check 'em out.

Gregory Plus Size Packs
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an arctyex Bora 80 pack and wad able to order a larger hip belt. Pack no longer made (a great pack btw) but maybe they have another model.

This was for 2 Philmont treks, and by the time the trek came around I had lost.50 lbs and used the regular belt.

I am downsizing gear btw.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
This is relevant, for the exact same reason, and I'm a fatty.  

My son "graduates" to the big kids' group next year and hes already a pretty legit day hiker for 10 years old.  We also car camp frequently, so he's ready for the next step.

I want to carry my gear plus an hf radio setup.  Probably 7 extra lbs...  

At least I should shed a few pounds doing this.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Osprey will sell you a replacement hip belt. Look at Granite Gear for their adjustable hip belts
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ME2112] [#8]
Some Osprey models have adjustable hip belts but I can’t find any info on their size range. The one on my Atmos AG 50 looks like it goes up to 42 or 44 inches. My Aether AG 70 uses an interchangeable hip belt and shoulder harness, as does my Argon 85, but that model of Aether has been superseded and the Argon has been out of production for a while. I was able to buy a hip belt for the Argon last year, though, but I don’t know what size range it fits. I have about a 40” waist and it fits me with a little extra.

Granite Gear uses adjustable hip belts with a range of 26-42” on their 60l models (Blaze and Crown2), and a large size that fits up to 52” is available. Perimeter (35l & 50l) also use these belts. They’re not available new any more, but their Nimbus packs (Nimbus Trace, NT Access, Nimbus Meridian, etc) are really great. They use interchangeable shoulder harnesses and hip belts, though L and XL are hard to find nowadays.

I have a few packs I’m looking to sell, a Granite Gear Crown2 60l in long torso length (21-24”), only used a few times; a GG Nimbus Meridian 60l with XL shoulder harness and waist belt, torso length 18-22”, pack is used but in great shape; and an Osprey Aether AG 70 that’s only been used maybe 5-6 times. I think it has L shoulder harness and waist belt and is for 18-21” torso.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to a outfitter/gear store and get fitted.  If you have an ill fitting pack, you’regonna have a bad time!

Every body is a little different and someone who knows what they are doing should be able to find you several options.  Wearing a pack to distribute the weight properly is something most people screw up if left to their own devices.  The outfitter/gear store will also show you how to wear the pack so it doesn’t whip your ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top