Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2024 11:04:44 AM EDT
I've got a few cans of dried milk that are well past the 10 year expiration date that I'd like to replace.  The LDS dried milk pouches are significantly cheaper than the highly rated Augason Farms Country Fresh version, even when it's on sale (currently 16.14 at Amazon).  Has anyone tried the LDS product?  If so, how's the quality and taste?

I don't currently drink milk as I try to maintain a fairly low carb diet (family history of type 2 beetus), but I do use dried milk occasionally in recipes and whatnot, plus I'd like to have options if things go south and I have to depend on stored foods for a while.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't tried the Augason Farms, but the LDS powdered milk is ok for what it is.  I think it's great for cooking.  That being said, I really haven't found any powdered milk that I thought tasted good and had good consistency.  Some tasted fine, but were grainy or chalky.  Others tasted terrible, but the mixture was fine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the LDS milk is much better.  It’s what we store here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m curious how it compares to freeze drying it yourself

I don’t drink milk at all but use it in oatmeal and such
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ace-of-Based] [#4]
If you want milk pick up some Nido from Walmart. It's powdered whole milk and if you mix it up and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight it tastes very close to fresh milk.

I've had it a couple years beyond the best by date without noticeable degrigation.

I haven't had the LDS milk I'd be curious how it compares.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Have not tried the LDS product.  This is the best powdered milk we have tried since Milkman disappeared.  It is exceptional when mixed with some evaporated milk.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fox:
Have not tried the LDS product.  This is the best powdered milk we have tried since Milkman disappeared.  It is exceptional when mixed with some evaporated milk.

View Quote

@fox have you tried any of their other products?
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Advtrbound:

@fox have you tried any of their other products?
View Quote
@Advtrbound

We have not.  We wanted plenty of powdered milk in our preps for added protein and cooking, and we wanted something that tasted good.  We tried a bunch of them including Auguson, Honeyville, Pleasant Hill Grain, Nestle's, etc., but none tasted as good to us as Grandma's.  We typically use Rainy Day Foods  for long term stuff.  There is a preparedness store here that stocks Rainy Day products making it simple and saving on shipping.  The owner tells us that the RD facility, in Montpelier, ID, actually does sub-contract work for Mountain House at times to assist with demand for MH products.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ace-of-Based:
If you want milk pick up some Nido from Walmart. It's powdered whole milk and if you mix it up and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight it tastes very close to fresh milk.

I've had it a couple years beyond the best by date without noticeable degrigation.

I haven't had the LDS milk I'd be curious how it compares.
View Quote

This. Nido has fortification for children. Klim is just whole milk.

They are both, hands down, absolutely the best powdered milk. The lowfat or skim powdered milk just isnt good. These actually taste good. Not just OK. Or bearable..

They are not a long shelf life item, so be on your rotation game. Store what you use and use what you store.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blackduck769] [#9]
I have not but for my preps I purchase the milk from dollar tree. It's good for up to a year and Actually tastes good. The reason I stock it as it's already made, ready to use with a long shelf life, plus it's cheap. Also the dry milk impacts your water supply as you need water to make it. The milk from Dollar tree is already made, no impact on stored water. It's worth the cost to stock it.  

https://www.dollartree.com/marcels-modern-pantry-whole-milk-32-oz/363596
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By blackduck769:
I have not but for my preps I purchase the milk from dollar tree. It's good for up to a year and Actually tastes good. The reason I stock it as it's already made, ready to use with a long shelf life, plus it's cheap. Also the dry milk impacts your water supply as you need water to make it. The milk from Dollar tree is already made, no impact on stored water. It's worth the cost to stock it.  

View Quote
Yep, I rotate them in with regular milk once they get close to their best by date.  I actually prefer the taste of shelf stable milk over regular, but my wife says it tastes weird.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
Yep, I rotate them in with regular milk once they get close to their best by date.  I actually prefer the taste of shelf stable milk over regular, but my wife says it tastes weird.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
Originally Posted By blackduck769:

I find it tastes weird unless I put it in a glass bottle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a case of you should try it before you buy it. What taste good to me might not taste as good to you. If youre using it for cooking only, you still want to try them in a few recipes just to make sure they work for you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#13]
Double tap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top