Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2023 6:09:27 PM EDT
I’m not sure how the weather has been for everyone else, but here in eastern Tennessee, we’ve been getting both ends of the spectrum with the temps.

I know this is about the time we start seeing rut activity. I’m hoping to get out for the first time this weekend and wondering what you all are doing in the woods and fields.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how much my experience means to you in KY, but up here in Wisconsin...I've seen both.  

I'm currently hunting the southern region...about 30 minutes form the Illinois boarder on 160 acres and I'm not seeing any real rut activity at this point.  

My buddy, where I'll be hunting as of Wednesday, he's seeing bucks chasing does quite a bit.  He's about 2 hours north of me.  

So...get both?  But the rut is almost always feast or famine.  If you have a hot doe in your area...you're going to see all sorts of bucks.  If you don't have any hot does...well...you probably won't see much for bucks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in Pa last week, lots of small bucks were killed on the roads.  Meaning they are moving.

Here I'm VA.  I'm seeing some rubs on trees but everything still moving at night.

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
They started moving yesterday some, a buddy and my daughter both saw younger bucks on their feet and looking around yesterday.

Daughter passed on this one

Link Posted: 10/31/2023 2:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#4]
Supposed to be this week in WI but I'm striking out.

Fair number on camera too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Temps dropped in VA in the last 24 hours. Started seeing chase activity this evening during daylight hours of bucks only previously active overnight in bachelor groups.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xwinder:
Temps dropped in VA in the last 24 hours. Started seeing chase activity this evening during daylight hours of bucks only previously active overnight in bachelor groups.
View Quote

Good to hear.  I can't get back out until tomorrow evening.  Muzzleloader starts Saturday and it is usually full tilt rut.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]
SE Michigan here.  I've seen chasing, scraping, heavier than sparring fighting, for over 2 weeks now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
i drive back and forth from warrenton to west of sperryville, va twice a day    it’s basically an hour one way that takes me across the piedmont to just into the foot of the blue ridge  

just in the last 48 hours have i seen a fair amount of activity concurrent with, as others have said, the change in the weather  

we had an almost 60 degree drop in temperature from sunday  to tonight   might actually be more than 60 in some parts out towards luray and actually up at altitude  

that will for sure shake things up
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a bit of time this morning to run over to the farm and check game cameras.  

Location in Suffolk, Va.

Lots of deer, some nice bucks,  all moving at night.  A Few does in fields at dusk/dawn.

Lots of turkeys in the fields.  Saw 12 while I was there. Rode the 4 wheeler up to about 10 yards of them.

Several Bears all moving at night

Couple Coyotes, one had a bird in his mouth.  Moving at 2:30 in afternoon.  Weird.

Bobcats, moving at night.

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Starting Saturday supposed to be back up in the high 60's & all next week. I'm seeing more bear activity then deer it seems.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#11]
They are chasing in my area.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NBT] [#12]
Full rut in NW OH.
The property in WV,  bucks are still nocturnal, but started scraping and rubbing. Be there again next week. Should be gtg by then.

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Picking up around here. 3 bucks in 8hrs last night. The small 7pt is the only one we have pics of prior.

Link Posted: 11/2/2023 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Northern NY. Nothing as of last weekend. We covered half of our 700 acres lease and no sign at all.

I'm on a NY hunting FB page and guys in the southern tier and western NY are seeing it all. Videos of bucks chasing does, huge trees hooked and scrapes all over.
Meanwhile we aren't seeing anything.

I will say we usually have a later rut up here than the southern tier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:
Northern NY. Nothing as of last weekend. We covered half of our 700 acres lease and no sign at all.

I'm on a NY hunting FB page and guys in the southern tier and western NY are seeing it all. Videos of bucks chasing does, huge trees hooked and scrapes all over.
Meanwhile we aren't seeing anything.

I will say we usually have a later rut up here than the southern tier.
View Quote

Haven’t seen any activity in middle Georgia, as of this past Sunday.  Major temp drop in last 2 days, so it might change.  As luck would have it, we started a timber cutting operation this week on our farm.  So, what are yall feeding those deer in Virginia?  I need some of that!
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Passed on a small six earlier tonight.

Hoping this nine shows himself in daylight soon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#17]
At 1:30 yesterday, watched this Buck (far right) trailing two doe through the hardwoods.  Acorns and corn piles weren’t on his mind at all.

He didn’t get much further than that
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a nice 10 point and 3 does tearing up my yard this morning at 8 am. Like a deer racetrack.

I'm in the suburbs, population ~136k.
Nearest patch of trees/brush is about 3/4 of a mile away and it isn't large.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Had deer moving in groups up until Saturday night. Nothing moving last 36 hours.   Hopefully it's getting ready to break loose.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally got out for opening weekend of muzzle loader season this past weekend. It had been cold all week and as soon as the weekend rolls around, the temps hit the mid-sixties. I didn’t see a thing all weekend. I didn’t see any scrapes or rubs either. I’m hoping I can get back out there this weekend though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#22]
We had one nice 8 point come out last night, it was alone and not chasing any does.  Haven't seen a doe since last week.

We had 8 guys in the field all weekend and 3 this week so far.

Lots of man hours in the woods.

Link Posted: 11/8/2023 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Temperature has nothing to do with it.

The rut is in full swing here in Ohio and temps are well above average.
View Quote

That's right.  The rut happens the same time every year in your area.  The weather and moon play the part of what you see during time in the woods.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I had 3 does feeding in a plot last evening for over an hour.

No bucks came calling.

Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
It’s a little early here still, but it’ll start heating up over the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Last week in Illinois I saw younger bucks running the piss out of does.  3 1/2 year olds and younger. We had some nights down in the 20s and windy so it was pretty cold.  I had a nice 135" come within 20 yards and several others in the low 130 -  high 120's within bow range.  I was just waiting on that 150 and up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 10:47:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#28]
Yes. Took an 8 point over the weekend that followed a doe into an opening.

I'm seeing bucks on camera that are following does. Doe on camera and 10-30 minutes later, a buck comes through on the same line.

We've had a lot of up and down weather too
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I have two properties in middle GA. From what I’ve seen, there was slight rut activity around the end of October, but not any real chasing. On cam, the bucks are still mainly nocturnal, but in the last three days, they’re showing up right before day break. Does seem to be still grouped up for the most part. Did see chasing going at my cams, but the bucks were smaller 8s and below. For me, the smaller ones tend to chase in the beginning. My buddy’s son shot my target deer anyway, so I’m just waiting for that random traveler to come around.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Little front blew in this weekend and the bucks started chasing does… like magic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Ok this has been a weird rut season.  Last week of Oct the deer were moving, Nov started and nothing.  Complete lock down of all deer.

Finally in last few days a few bucks have been moving, we got two 8 points.  

Both were being pushed out of a field by a larger buck at time. Of course mr. big horns didn't come out way.

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Oour weather here in Southern Oklahoma has been bipolar also, but we are seeing signs of the rut either happening or in full swing. seen a few small bucks chasing does, but have seen several big bucks been hit on interstate. Thats usually a sign they are starting to chase does.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Its on hot n heavy here.   I got attacked by a buck two days ago after making a couple doe bleats followed by a chase grunt
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By telsonman:
I have two properties in middle GA. From what I’ve seen, there was slight rut activity around the end of October, but not any real chasing. On cam, the bucks are still mainly nocturnal, but in the last three days, they’re showing up right before day break. Does seem to be still grouped up for the most part. Did see chasing going at my cams, but the bucks were smaller 8s and below. For me, the smaller ones tend to chase in the beginning. My buddy’s son shot my target deer anyway, so I’m just waiting for that random traveler to come around.
View Quote

My place is in middle Georgia as well.  We’ve been cutting timber for the past 2 weeks and I had to meet the forestry man for an update.  As we were standing next to a 10 acre cut, we see 3 does hauling ass, through the cut area.  Not 20 seconds later, we see a 6 pointer, hot on their asses.  Then later, we see a 4 point retard walking about 25 yards away from us, with a noticeable limp.  Saw no visible signs of an injury, but the limp was quite noticeable. Coming up behind him, was a different 6 pointer than the earlier one, walking him out of the love forest.  Evidently, the 6 pointer beat the shit out of the retard.  Love is in the air.  Well, maybe not love.  Yall know what I mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top