Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2022 4:32:43 PM EDT
I’ve always fished traditional fly fishing gear but here lately I’ve been fascinated with the idea of Tenkara fishing.  I’ve looked at both TenkaraUSA and Tiny Tenkara rods and was wondering if anyone was fishing with either of them.

I would be primarily using the rod for native cutthroats in small streams in western Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep one in the truck when I travel.  They are fun.  Walk up to a stream, start fishing in 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 7:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bankfraudguy] [#2]
Subscribed for replies…

Debating a lightweight fly rod likely of the “6 ish piece, travel” variety.    Mainly to keep in the truck (or bike) for “ad hoc” midwestern pond fishing.  

A tenkara style is interesting.  So im def in to hearing how folks he like them…
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 7:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jjrockbush] [#3]
Sorry, a bit too snarky for tech.
A reference to Rom Popeil.

Link Posted: 12/18/2022 7:52:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#4]
Sorry, not going to dump $200 on a toy rod to catch tiny fish. Even if it is fun.

I can accomplish the same thing with a $19 backpack rod from Amazon and I'll get a pack of dry flies in the deal.

If you want better quality than Amazon, go to Ebay and pick up a Browning backpacker 4 piece rod. Should run about 60 bucks.

Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Sorry, not going to dump $200 on a toy rod to catch tiny fish. Even if it is fun.

I can accomplish the same thing with a $19 backpack rod from Amazon and I'll get a pack of dry flies in the deal.

If you want better quality than Amazon, go to Ebay and pick up a Browning backpacker 4 piece rod. Should run about 60 bucks.

View Quote

I have a 4 piece 4 weight Orvis, so I’ve got the backpacking part of it covered. To me, the draw of the Tenkara is simplicity. No reel, just a rod and a little line, the entire setup weighs a few ounces.  I’d just like to hear any experiences others have had.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple of rods. I can't remember for sure but they're "namebrand". I liked them for backcountry hiking and our neighborhood pond. They're a lot of fun. The downside is that when you're trying to feed yourself on a hike, sometimes (many times) they just aren't enough. I take a 3- or 5-weight with me now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like a cane pole, but does look interesting.  Slipping one into my backpack would be easier than a flyrod avec gear.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got one, went fishing today.

Easy to snag in brush.
Cannot reel the line in and use the rod tip to help get untangled.
I need to adjust the line length. Right now it’s too long.

I like how it packs up small.
Easy/quick to pack it down, making it easier than a fly rod to walk through brush.
Still evaluating how much I like it.

I may replace the twisted “fly line” with actual fly line.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HBruns:
Just got one, went fishing today.

Easy to snag in brush.
Cannot reel the line in and use the rod tip to help get untangled.
I need to adjust the line length. Right now it’s too long.

I like how it packs up small.
Easy/quick to pack it down, making it easier than a fly rod to walk through brush.
Still evaluating how much I like it.

I may replace the twisted “fly line” with actual fly line.
View Quote

What brand/model did you buy?
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RobertL:

What brand/model did you buy?
View Quote
Teton Zoom Rod
They had a 40% off sale on this rod and I snagged one.

I fish mostly SMALL water, and the adjustable length was a selling point for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top