Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2024 9:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: radioshooter]
I usually don't since my retirement personal effects include a CCW. To be truthful, I haven't seen anyone with an HT in casual clothes in a long time. I've seen a few volunteer fire department guys carrying HTs, but they are basically off duty agency guys.

I had one with me at the Tanger Outlet in Pigeon Forge. So many people there that cell data is slower than grandpa, so I'll check the local ham repeaters. Regular people will give you the WTF look sometimes. I had a security guy log me as an old guy with a WT at the Asheville outlets. He walked away, but I thought he was checking to see if I was monitoring their comms. I wasn't. Guess I'll leave it in the car now. Maybe get a Rubiks Cube.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I did when my EDC was all on a utility belt. Now I stow it in a GHB flap pocket.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know why you'd be self conscious about an HT unless you're blasting a qso between 'Ol Roy and Elmer discussing Roy's goiter. Might even be able to recruit a new Ham if you get a conversation going with someone in line at Walgreen's!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]

I can't remember the last time I even turned my HT on.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If I carry one, it's probably for work.

I also WILL NOT crank the volume up so everyone in the store can hear it.  I'll usually grab a bluetooth earbud and pair that to the radio, then "carry concealed" (as best you can conceal a hi-viz vp8000 )

Do kinda miss my LEX phone.  PTT on the side, played nice with APX radios and RoIP gateways.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
When I walk my neighborhood I take one of mine with me to play with. Often scan the local repeaters and play with APRS to see which igates I can hit. I've had neighbors ask about it and I share to see if their interested in learning more
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:42:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seek2] [#6]
Not quite ham radio but...

I'll take a FRS, GMRS, recently FM CB handheld with me when I'm outside the house but not necessarily in town,
we live in the boonies and have had enough issues with wildlife and people that "aren't from around here"
that it makes sense to do so. Cell coverage is pretty spotty due to the mountainous terrain. Wife gets a second
radio or I turn up the volume on the base station CB to max so she can hear me; if we're both outside there
can potentially be a 150' high ridge between us without even leaving our property and shouting isn't going to work.

Last time I open carried a 2M handheld had to be sometime in the early 90s, before cell phones were common.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By its2234me:
I don't know why you'd be self conscious about an HT unless you're blasting a qso between 'Ol Roy and Elmer discussing Roy's goiter. Might even be able to recruit a new Ham if you get a conversation going with someone in line at Walgreen's!
View Quote

I normally EDC with a pistol on the right side, then cell phone and spare mag on the left. Would you not be self conscious with a WT added and you aren't an LEO?

Roaming behind the house where I'm out of public sight, that's a different ball game.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Toward the end of my career I'd sometimes bring my FT 60 to work with me.

While on board it sat on the galley table but when I had to go 'up the street' I'd clip it on.

More often I'd grab one of the HTs we had on board. If I was in range I could call the boat on it.

I noticed it kept a lot of people away from me which in Philly and Frisco is not a bad thing. It just 'looked official' so people tended to avoid me.

I only had a couple of people ask me about it and I'd just reply "Merchant Marine, Ma'am.' which left them wondering and they went away.

Kinda like walking onto a construction site with a clipboard and a white hard hat.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure what qualifies for agency. I am a firefighter, but my radios can't do P25 so I don't use them for "work".

I have 2 HTs, and when I first got them I carried them more. They kept falling off my belt, and now they both have rubber bands keeping the batteries on. I got a SignalStick for the UV9P, so it isn't really a "carry" radio anymore.

It is nice to have them in the car to monitor 2m call, local repeater, and sometimes hear fire/EMS page outs for my county. Usually no one on VHF, so no reason to carry on person.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:19:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AnalogKid] [#10]
If I'm on foot (hiking or walking) my VX-6 or VX-7 usually stays in an inside coat or vest pocket. At a hamfest, on my belt - especially if I'm using it to coordinate activities with a group.

Biking or motorcycling? Bar mount holders.

As a previous poster mentioned, Bluetooth headsets. And as another mentioned, any time I need to go into areas when comms are sketchy I have a carry case with FRS/GMRS, MURS, CB and amateur gear. Plus extra batteries and chargers depending on how long I'll be in the area.

Same with a sidearm and mags. These days I prefer to be totally gray.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:47:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#11]
No I don’t carry an HT on my belt because draws unwanted attention to me in public.

The only thing that could be worse would be to be to wear a traffic safety vest with the HT and look like an air soft LARPER.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
No I don't carry an HT on my belt because draws unwanted attention to me in public.

The only thing that could be worse would be to be to wear a traffic safety vest with the HT and look like an air soft LARPER.
View Quote
But if you add a clipboard and write stuff, people will avoid eye contact.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an icom 51a in my edc backpack.

Along with an ifak, extra mags, pepper spray, battery bank, fixed blade, etc etc.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By phlat:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No I don't carry an HT on my belt because draws unwanted attention to me in public.

Attachment Attached File

This is the LARPer starter kit to go along with the Baofeng HT.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/8VydGhrq_JVqH5659AI09taC5AjWUo__uiyqAbla-3166051.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/8VydGhrq_JVqH5659AI09taC5AjWUo__uiyqAbla-3166051.JPG

If you dont have an official clipboard, I will be parking wherever the hell I want.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#16]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

If you dont have an official clipboard, I will be parking wherever the hell I want.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Attachment Attached File

HRRC wears a hard hat to complete the look.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#17]

SpongeBob SquarePants | Maniac | Nickelodeon UK
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#18]
No. Have zero use to do so. I think my HTs were powered on last about 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
If I'm out hiking or something, sure. Shy of that, fuck no. I've seen folks that do though; whackers of the highest order typically.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
If I'm at work, I usually have one on me.  I'm trying to get the OK to purchase and program UHF analog HTs instead of paying a radio company $$$$$$$ to do it.  I've carried one other places too, especially Walmart in case more cashiers are needed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#21]
i used to 15 yrs ago when my daughter was 8-10yo and she got her ham license before we got her a cell phone.  so she could talk to me whenever.   but i haven't in a long time
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Draw attention?  

I guess it depends.   Plenty of municipal highway guys, construction crews, hospital maintenance guys etc carry a HT.   Often enough I will see them clipped on when they’re getting lunch, gas or at the hardware or lumber store.  

Now it would be odd to see them carried out to a finer dining establishment etc.  

Oh and Pic,.....that’s not the reason they were avoiding you!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#23]
My HT it’s in the charger in the living room unless I am taking my vehicle that doesn’t have a mobile.   The last place I wore a radio was field day.  I ditched it as a nuisance in a few hours.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
If I'm at work, I usually have one on me.  I'm trying to get the OK to purchase and program UHF analog HTs instead of paying a radio company $$$$$$$ to do it.  I've carried one other places too, especially Walmart in case more cashiers are needed.
View Quote

They are on MURS 4/5 here. Hilarious to crank the volume up all the way and drive past employees in the parking lot getting carts.

Also there is never anyone at the fishing license counter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Every. Single. Time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6SJ7GT] [#26]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
Toward the end of my career I'd sometimes bring my FT 60 to work with me.

While on board it sat on the galley table but when I had to go 'up the street' I'd clip it on.

More often I'd grab one of the HTs we had on board. If I was in range I could call the boat on it.

I noticed it kept a lot of people away from me which in Philly and Frisco is not a bad thing. It just 'looked official' so people tended to avoid me.

I only had a couple of people ask me about it and I'd just reply "Merchant Marine, Ma'am.' which left them wondering and they went away.

Kinda like walking onto a construction site with a clipboard and a white hard hat.

View Quote

"Joe's network installers" ID and a tool belt will get you into a lot of places.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I want a set of these to make the X6100 an HT. Just add a counterpoise and work pedestrian mobile.  
Amazon Product
  • The GRA-HF750T is a versatile and portable wireless radio antenna for amateur radio enthusiasts.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I often carry one while out on a walk. That's primarily an excuse to do coverage testing for a home ROIP gateway or MMDVM hotspot. I don't walk into Home Depot blasting PS traffic from a speaker mic, that's a level of whackerism I refuse to sink to.

Both of my jobs require use of a portable as well, and I sometimes forget to take my XPR out of my pocket when getting groceries after work. It's not powered on, though. My other job is off-grid with no outside connectivity so we're very dependent on P25. If I'm up there, I have a radio on me, period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top