Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2024 8:46:47 AM EDT
I’m setting up my FT-60 and I want to assign weather frequencies to their own bank so that when I scan the radio doesn’t stop on them. I set the frequency in “bank 2” but when I delete it from the “no bank” list it deletes it from the bank as well. Do I need to use the “no bank” memory as general storage and then move the memories I want to scan to a different bank? Seems like a lot of work when I downloaded 40 repeaters within 10 miles of my home.

I want to set the radio up to have different groups of frequencies like local, empty bank for specific areas I travel to, weather, gmrs, and other scanning frequencies.

Any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you programming it by hand, or using chirp or RT systems?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
RT Systems but I don’t know if I can assign banks from there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
It's been a while since I used RT software for my FT-60, but you should be able to set the weather channels to "skip".  Though, why are you programming weather channels as memory channels?  Juts hold down "1" to get to the WX channels.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#4]
^ What he said. Set it to 'skip' in the skip column. I have mine as a channel because why not? Easy to have my wife turn on the radio and go to channel 1 if I'm not there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I will try the 1 button and see if I like accessing the weather channels that way. Thanks for the tip.

I wanted to have a bank set up for repeaters close to home and have a bank for further away or specific destinations I’m traveling to. I was also planning on setting other scanning frequencies up in different banks like GMRS, railroad, EMS, etc. in different banks so I go to them when I want without them being in the memories I normally scan.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:39:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#6]
Multiple independent scan lists are not common in Ham Radios. The mentioned "skip" function to not scan certain saved memories is often the solution.

If you need these different scan groups, you can step into a commercial radio like the TYT-390 (but there are lots of options), as the DMR digital/analogue radios will let you do that. In fact it makes you do that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dopple:
It's been a while since I used RT software for my FT-60, but you should be able to set the weather channels to "skip".  Though, why are you programming weather channels as memory channels?  Juts hold down "1" to get to the WX channels.
View Quote

Just tried holding the 1 button down and it worked. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Multiple independent scan lists are not common in Ham Radios. The mentioned "skip" function to not scan certain saved memories is often the solution.

If you need these different scan groups, you can step into a commercial radio like the TYT-390 (but there are lots of options), as the DMR digital/analogue radios will let you do that. In fact it makes you do that.
View Quote

What would be the use of multiple memory banks? The FT-60 has 10 memory banks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HighLighter:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighLighter:

If you are using memory banks with the "skip" feature and that works for you....... then I would say your problem is solved.

DMR style radios separate the concept of memory banks and scan lists.

Perhaps your radio does what you need it to and I added further complication by mentioning that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#10]

If you are using memory banks with the "skip" feature and that works for you....... then I would say your problem is solved.

DMR style radios separate the concept of memory banks and scan lists.

Perhaps your radio does what you need it to and I added further complication by mentioning that.
View Quote
Yeah, this is an FM radio.  The banks on the FT60 (and FT7800/7900/8800/8900) are useful and work like banks in a typical analog scanner.  You can assign channels to certain banks, and you'll be working only within that bank.  For instance...

You have 2m repeaters, 70cm repeaters, simplex, and FRS/GMRS channels programmed.
Bank 1 can be 2m repeaters and maybe 2m simplex freqs.
Bank 2 can be 70cm repeaters and 70cm simplex freqs.
Bank 3 can be FRS/GMRS freqs.
Bank 4 can be just FRS and 2m/70cm simplex.

Can mix and match which memory channels are in which banks.  The mobile rigs have 20 banks, and they have HyperMemory banks, which basically can recall various banks, and other settings, with a single button.  It's a nice feature, that's useful if you're using the radio in multiple AOs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top