Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 10:58:15 PM EDT
Hey yall.  Current situation with a scanner I have.  RG-6 to those adapters to the short piece of LMR-195 I think it is.

I would like a longer section coming off the RG-6 that is a more flexible wire than that LMR 195,  say 6 feet if possible with that SMA connector on the radio end.

Having this current setup is annoying because if I move the scanner around on the desk or pick it up to change stuff the cables are knocking things off the desk and it also generally just flops about so I can't see the screen and obviously standing it up is a no-go.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple feet of RG-316 isn't going to hurt a RX only signal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#3]
LMR195 is pretty stiff. A cable of the same size but of a more flexible construction would serve you well.

A fine stranded RG58 with a PVC jacket and foam dielectric would be just the ticket.

Used a bunch of Belden 8219 back in the day for its handling qualities. Davis RF & Wireman used to have a nice version of this with low loss dielectric and foil shielding, but it seems to be discontinued. There are some plenum cables floating around with similar construction.

Something to consider is that SMA connectors are very limited in mate/demate cycle life. If the scanner doesn't do anything else, then no problem, but if you're swapping antennas around I would recommend getting one of the low-profile SMA to BNC adapters to put on the radio semi-permanently and then use BNC connectors to connect to the radio. If you're changing the jumper this would be the time to make that change.

Depending on what frequencies you are receiving that SO239 connector can be pretty lossy, and multiple adapters is generally a bad idea. Would be better to just have a jumper with a female BNC on the antenna end.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Maybe something like this

www.amazon.com/dp/B07XLQ1XDZ
View Quote

I seen that cable but was not sure if it was suitable.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you are mixing 50 and 75 ohm impedance cable. Thats probably reducing your signal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
LMR195 is pretty stiff. A cable of the same size but of a more flexible construction would serve you well.

A fine stranded RG58 with a PVC jacket and foam dielectric would be just the ticket.

Used a bunch of Belden 8219 back in the day for its handling qualities. Davis RF & Wireman used to have a nice version of this with low loss dielectric and foil shielding, but it seems to be discontinued. There are some plenum cables floating around with similar construction.

Something to consider is that SMA connectors are very limited in mate/demate cycle life. If the scanner doesn't do anything else, then no problem, but if you're swapping antennas around I would recommend getting one of the low-profile SMA to BNC adapters to put on the radio semi-permanently and then use BNC connectors to connect to the radio. If you're changing the jumper this would be the time to make that change.

Depending on what frequencies you are receiving that SO239 connector can be pretty lossy, and multiple adapters is generally a bad idea. Would be better to just have a jumper with a female BNC on the antenna end.
View Quote

The SMA would not get swapped out often.  I usually scan the local MARCS-IP Sheriff and Fire/EMS with never any issues hearing dispatch and the mobile units are no issues almost always.  Also listen to Airband and see no real issues with my current setup.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're just listening to VHF and UHF stuff you should be ok, 800 or higher is where you would start to notice loss.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
If you're just listening to VHF and UHF stuff you should be ok, 800 or higher is where you would start to notice loss.
View Quote

Looking at some ADSB data I am getting aircraft TX from about 2000AGL and about 60 miles out from my location and there is minimal issues hearing their broadcasts to approach.  Not perfect but plenty good to hear their readbacks.  Going on up to 10,000 ft is crystal clear at that distance.  Looks like the MARCS system here for LE and Fire/EMS is 700-800.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#9]
check   MPD  for excellently priced custom cables. pick your coax and connectors for both ends and they have it to you pretty quick. very nicely made here in USA from brand name non china stuff.
I used them for all my custom shack jumpers. I used LMR-240 ultra flex. 2' cables with BNC to UHF were like $15.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Foxxz:
Looks like you are mixing 50 and 75 ohm impedance cable. Thats probably reducing your signal.
View Quote

Nah, I do it all the time. The scanner won't be matched to that antenna beyond a few MHz anyway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
A good RG6 is probably less loss vs the small amount of loss from the impedance mismatch at the higher frequencies if compared to say LMR240/RG8X size cable. Not worth worrying about 75 ohm cable in a receive-only situation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:27:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#12]
Something else to consider might be a right angle adapter at the scanner. That would send the cable to the left of the scanner and not toward the wall behind the desk.

If I was doing it; I would put a sma to bnc right angle on the scanner. Then get  an F to BNC female adapter for your feed line. Then you could just get a normal bnc cable for your jumper to connect them and have quick detach at both ends to get it out of the way when needed. But I adapt all SMA to BNC…….  Due to the OCD of the QD.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd use RG-316 as a jumper. And do, often.

My RX-only antennas for upper VHF and beyond (above 50MHz) are plumbed to the shack via RG6. EDA distribution amplifiers continue on to the receiver banks.

If there's any mismatch, the radios don't seem to notice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:58:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobalt135] [#14]
Good info all.  Found some RG-316 with the desired connectors, SMA MALE to SO239 UHF Female 10' for $18 to try out.

EDIT: now find me a low cost ADSB feeder setup with antenna and electronics housed in a weatherproof box on tower with a 40' power feed to the nearest power receptacle 45 feet away.  I still want to do that the most economical way I can.  I see USB power and data can be carried about 80 feet with an active USB port as I understand.  I can make  a weatherproof enclosure for up on the tower easily with what I have.

I looked at various Pi units for this, just not sure if they will like being in a sealed watertight enclosure with no air flow if cooling is an issue.
Top Top