User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Food for thought:

[url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2023/05/28/inflation-government-spending-are-pulling-boomers-out-of-retirement/70254240007/]https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2023/05/28/inflation-government-spending-are-SNIP
View Quote

"The government has arrived and we are here to help!"
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:

[snip] One financial outlay, I won't say burden because it actually isn't, is kids.   Kids are a lifelong burden but also a lifelong investment.   They never stop being your kids.   You are never gong to stop helping them even if they don't want it.   Being in a position to is a very good thing.   They're going to have the very same ups and downs as you and in some cases worse.   Easily over half the grandparents today are day care centers.   When I was working I use to feel sorry for them but I don't now.  Its keeping them wanted and healthy.   Some of the kids I see I'd like to knock them upside the head  and some grandparents I do too, but mostly its not bad.   Anyway, its an expense you won't see coming and almost impossible to plan for. Notr on this, I thank God all the time he gave us a son.  

Tj

View Quote

To caveat this point: while kids are expensive, and they will always be your kids, it is not on you to "help" them with every single extraneous expense that they have. For example, I helped my son fix his car. He managed to blow the engine up. He got a quote from a "mechanic" for $2500 to put a new-used engine in his car. My wife "loaned" him the money. A couple months later, he blew the engine up again by running it out of oil despite me telling him repeatedly that he needed to regularly check his oil. Of course, he came back with his hand out. I told him we didn't have the money. He then embarked on a series of bad decisions that has ended with him working a dead-end job, barely making ends meet, with a wife and kid, all this despite my advice on how to better himself and his situation.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 6:01:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#4]
Three years ago I was a financial wreck, so far in debt that the word "underwater" would have been a nice term. I had a wife who refused to work, loved spending my money on fast food and shoes, renting a hovel on Skid Row, AZ, credit rating in the toilet, selling personal possessions just to live. I had hung on to that marriage too long and I knew I had to cut the anchor away before I hit the bottom of the ocean and stayed there.
Divorce was amazing, went so easy and fast that I did something I have never heard of anyone doing - I got a refund from a divorce attorney. Yes. No alimony, and I kept all of what little was left. Then the work set in.
I moved in with someone who was my best friend, who later became my new wife, (no, not like you think), and the first thing I did was set up paying bills. All of them. She also set me up with savings accounts for us, the bills and even a vacation/Oh Sh!t fund. I had NEVER had savings in the whole time I was married prior.
I went from working until I die, to knowing that we will have two retirements, (state government), two SSI checks, savings, a fully paid off home, fully paid off cars, and I have been able to buy toys that I never could before, plus, I will NOT have to work until 65. No, I certainly did not buy HUGE ticket items like a boat or RV, but a couple of new guns to play with, expenses most people on this site do with pocket change, but for me, was always well out of reach. Not any more. For once in my life there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it surely doesn't look like the headlamp on a warbonnet paint job!
Will we be rich? Hardly. Will we be able to have some fun? Yes. Medical? Well, I can always use the VA, (fingers crossed), and we'll have free dental for life.
Of course, I have always heard, "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." Hopefully, this time, the plan will work out, and the last few years of my misspent life will be watching the sunsets on my porch with my loving wife beside me, with a couple of Old Fashioneds and my pipe.
Well, it's either that or crossing the wasteland in a Mad Maximized armored RV, but hopefully not...
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Three years ago I was a financial wreck, so far in debt that the word "underwater" would have been a nice term. I had a wife who refused to work, loved spending my money on fast food and shoes, renting a hovel on Skid Row, AZ, credit rating in the toilet, selling personal possessions just to live. I had hung on to that marriage too long and I knew I had to cut the anchor away before I hit the bottom of the ocean and stayed there.
Divorce was amazing, went so easy and fast that I did something I have never heard of anyone doing - I got a refund from a divorce attorney. Yes. No alimony, and I kept all of what little was left. Then the work set in.
I moved in with someone who was my best friend, who later became my new wife, (no, not like you think), and the first thing I did was set up paying bills. All of them. She also set me up with savings accounts for us, the bills and even a vacation/Oh Sh!t fund. I had NEVER had savings in the whole time I was married prior.
I went from working until I die, to knowing that we will have two retirements, (state government), two SSI checks, savings, a fully paid off home, fully paid off cars, and I have been able to buy toys that I never could before, plus, I will NOT have to work until 65. No, I certainly did not buy HUGE ticket items like a boat or RV, but a couple of new guns to play with, expenses most people on this site do with pocket change, but for me, was always well out of reach. Not any more. For once in my life there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it surely doesn't look like the headlamp on a warbonnet paint job!
Will we be rich? Hardly. Will we be able to have some fun? Yes. Medical? Well, I can always use the VA, (fingers crossed), and we'll have free dental for life.
Of course, I have always heard, "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." Hopefully, this time, the plan will work out, and the last few years of my misspent life will be watching the sunsets on my porch with my loving wife beside me, with a couple of Old Fashioneds and my pipe.
Well, it's either that or crossing the wasteland in a Mad Maximized armored RV, but hopefully not...
View Quote

That's a great story!  Thanks for posting it!

I'm not a fan of divorce because it normally causes a lot of money a couple could have had together to be split into two households and then a huge amount normally goes to purchase toys for lawyers.  But, sometimes it's necessary. Glad it's worked for you!

I don't think we see enough good stories in this forum because we tend to be pessimistic about the future.  

I was talking to another coworker recently.  Young guy with a new family.  He used to not care about his retirement.  Another friend of ours has been pushing him to put extra away for retirement into the 457 plan at work to supplement the 2 retirement plans our employer provides.  We just found out what our pay raise is for next year.  It's not an incredible raise but it's better than nothing.  My young coworker told me he has been contributing the max to get the match from the 457 plan.  He then asked me about other retirement plans.  I recommended he look into setting up a Roth IRA.  Not sure what route he'll be taking but I think he's going to do the Roth IRA.  He's basically going to be putting his pay raise into a retirement plan instead of doing what most people do and spend it.  I'm really proud of him.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Thank you for sharing & congratulations!  

Having a savings and plan is one heck of a piece of mind.  Like you I don't have many fancy toys, but I have plenty of tinker toys and enjoy them.  Having cash on hand is key, and this year my wife and I fell into a killer deal on a 20' like new camper trailer.  Needed some plumbing repairs but we paid cash...  Not a single cent spent on interest.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:
What kind of BS company doesn’t fire someone, but instead demotes them and slashes their pay by 25%?  

I don’t see this working anywhere outside of the military.

If that happened to me, my new job within the company would be to sabotage them in every way I could.
View Quote

I have seen it done a couple of places. They want you to quit instead, no unemployment will have to be paid.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

Having a savings and plan is one heck of a piece of mind.  Like you I don't have many fancy toys, but I have plenty of tinker toys and enjoy them.  Having cash on hand is key, and this year my wife and I fell into a killer deal on a 20' like new camper trailer.  Needed some plumbing repairs but we paid cash...  Not a single cent spent on interest.
View Quote

I have a personal rule that we live by. We never buy toys with debt.  I’m not opposed to debt for certain things but not for toys. If we can’t buy it with cash, we don’t need it.

My rule might not be for everyone but it’s working well for us.

Friend of mine recently fell into a smoking deal on a used car. It needed some work but nothing that I would consider major. I told him if he didn’t buy it, I would sight unseen. He paid $500 for it in running and driving condition (but needed immediate work to make it safe) and I’ve helped him fix it up. He’s got right at $1000 in it so far (including the purchase price) and will be at maybe $1500 when everything is done. It’ll be worth between $4k and $6k…maybe more in some areas. Prior owner needed cash fast. I would have flipped it but he’s gonna use it as a cheap commuter car. Having cash made that deal happen.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]

I have a personal rule that we live by. We never buy toys with debt.  I’m not opposed to debt for certain things but not for toys. If we can’t buy it with cash, we don’t need it.

Friend of mine recently fell into a smoking deal on a used car. It needed some work but nothing that I would consider major. I told him if he didn’t buy it, I would sight unseen. He paid $500 for it in running and driving condition (but needed immediate work to make it safe) and I’ve helped him fix it up. He’s got right at $1000 in it so far (including the purchase price) and will be at maybe $1500 when everything is done. It’ll be worth between $4k and $6k…maybe more in some areas. Prior owner needed cash fast. I would have flipped it but he’s gonna use it as a cheap commuter car. Having cash made that deal happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agree 100%.  That is my rule as well.  Took me a few years into adult life to learn it but I did.  If It's a "toy," and I can't pay cash then it won't be my toy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:10:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#11]
Credit is just a financial tool but what it isn't is a means of affording things.  You can only afford what you can afford.   It requires business discipline to use it correctly.  

I don't think I own a single toy I didn't use credit in one form or another.   Now that said, I can count the ones I actually payments on, on one hand.   For example, when I retired I did so with 400,000 Amex points.   Yes, interest is a killer but what its not is an unknown.   Its not credit is bad.  It's not budgeting is bad.  

I was probably as bad about this as anyone on the board.   Hell when I was young at one time, I was $40,000 in credit card debt and not a damn thing really to show for it.   Talk about a hole to dig out of.  I was Hunter Biden with a credit card.   It didn't take a crystal ball to figure out this was heading for disaster.   Before computers, what it took was sitting down with a pen and paper and budgeting and man did I get down to the nitty gritty.   Talk about one of those head slap feeling pretty damn stupid moments.   This was when the first time I used a CPA.   Its also when I adopted the rule never buy anything on a credit card, you can't pay cash for.  That's not just then but anytime.   Its when credit cards stopped being a crutch and became a tool.

How I got out from under the monkey was I calculated the interest, that was a HOLY COW moment.   I then calculated taking out a home equity loan and impact on my tax burden.   That IRS savings account with no interest became a monthly income.  I took out one of those balloon home equity loans which is basically interest only for so many years then bang drop your socks, you're screwed.   This gave me some latitude on Mr Murphy.  I budgeted how much I would have to pay to avoid the balloon and whenever I paid under, I budgeted to make it up.  That balloon loomed over you like an anvil on a string and that interest like 80lb backpack on my shoulders.   If you see it you feel it.   As my salary increased so did that principle payment.  Took me years but I got the monkey off my back in half the time allotted for the balloon.  Note here too, that salary thing was no accident either.   Stagnant with just annual increases was not getting it.   I worked my tail off, took other positions, and even transfers to other states.   That damn monkey is a hell of a monkey.  

What it taught me besides don't be blind was budgeting and financial discipline.  In the habit then, I did the same thing to my home mortgage I did with the equity balloon.   That anvil hanging over you never goes away.  After debt free comes retirement.  

Pleasent surprises along the way are the "What if" plans you kill.   For example, still in debt, I once had the option plan of if I have to I'll use the IRA to pay off the house upon retirement.   Bad plan, so good to kill that one.  

Tj
View Quote

Credit is a tool but it's also a VERY dangerous tool.  The MAJORITY of people cannot control it.  It controls them.  

I recently had a $4500 bill to pay.  I was going to pay cash.  But, they told me they take Discover.  My Discover card pays me 1% on purchases (and 5% on certain categories) so I put the bill on my Discover and three days later, when it showed up on my online card statement, I paid it off.  Add $45 to my cash back at no cost to me.  The problem many people have is, they do that charge like I did but then they don't pay it off immediately.  The interest a person would owe on that $4500 charge I made will wipe out the cash back benefit.  So, the only way to "win" with my Discover card is to never pay interest.  MOST people can't do it.  

I think that's why many financial people don't like credit cards.  It's not that they are bad but they are rarely used in a fiscally responsible manner and many many people end up in financial holes they now have to dig out from under....and sometimes can't dig out from under.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Credit is a tool but it's also a VERY dangerous tool.  The MAJORITY of people cannot control it.  It controls them.  

I recently had a $4500 bill to pay.  I was going to pay cash.  But, they told me they take Discover.  My Discover card pays me 1% on purchases (and 5% on certain categories) so I put the bill on my Discover and three days later, when it showed up on my online card statement, I paid it off.  Add $45 to my cash back at no cost to me.  The problem many people have is, they do that charge like I did but then they don't pay it off immediately.  The interest a person would owe on that $4500 charge I made will wipe out the cash back benefit.  So, the only way to "win" with my Discover card is to never pay interest.  MOST people can't do it.  

I think that's why many financial people don't like credit cards.  It's not that they are bad but they are rarely used in a fiscally responsible manner and many many people end up in financial holes they now have to dig out from under....and sometimes can't dig out from under.
View All Quotes
Credit is just a financial tool but what it isn't is a means of affording things.  You can only afford what you can afford.   It requires business discipline to use it correctly.  

I don't think I own a single toy I didn't use credit in one form or another.   Now that said, I can count the ones I actually payments on, on one hand.   For example, when I retired I did so with 400,000 Amex points.   Yes, interest is a killer but what its not is an unknown.   Its not credit is bad.  It's not budgeting is bad.  

I was probably as bad about this as anyone on the board.   Hell when I was young at one time, I was $40,000 in credit card debt and not a damn thing really to show for it.   Talk about a hole to dig out of.  I was Hunter Biden with a credit card.   It didn't take a crystal ball to figure out this was heading for disaster.   Before computers, what it took was sitting down with a pen and paper and budgeting and man did I get down to the nitty gritty.   Talk about one of those head slap feeling pretty damn stupid moments.   This was when the first time I used a CPA.   Its also when I adopted the rule never buy anything on a credit card, you can't pay cash for.  That's not just then but anytime.   Its when credit cards stopped being a crutch and became a tool.

How I got out from under the monkey was I calculated the interest, that was a HOLY COW moment.   I then calculated taking out a home equity loan and impact on my tax burden.   That IRS savings account with no interest became a monthly income.  I took out one of those balloon home equity loans which is basically interest only for so many years then bang drop your socks, you're screwed.   This gave me some latitude on Mr Murphy.  I budgeted how much I would have to pay to avoid the balloon and whenever I paid under, I budgeted to make it up.  That balloon loomed over you like an anvil on a string and that interest like 80lb backpack on my shoulders.   If you see it you feel it.   As my salary increased so did that principle payment.  Took me years but I got the monkey off my back in half the time allotted for the balloon.  Note here too, that salary thing was no accident either.   Stagnant with just annual increases was not getting it.   I worked my tail off, took other positions, and even transfers to other states.   That damn monkey is a hell of a monkey.  

What it taught me besides don't be blind was budgeting and financial discipline.  In the habit then, I did the same thing to my home mortgage I did with the equity balloon.   That anvil hanging over you never goes away.  After debt free comes retirement.  

Pleasent surprises along the way are the "What if" plans you kill.   For example, still in debt, I once had the option plan of if I have to I'll use the IRA to pay off the house upon retirement.   Bad plan, so good to kill that one.  

Tj

I probably pay for almost everything with a credit card, but they all get paid off in full every month.  I haven't rolled a balance or paid interest on a card in well over a decade.  I also us the points and cash back scheme to its fullest.  I have about 4 each with their own maximized return for different types of purchases.  One for gas, one for amazon, one for other online retail etc...

Plenty of credit to use if I ever want to say fuck it and spend like .gov
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]

I probably pay for almost everything with a credit card, but they all get paid off in full every month.  I haven't rolled a balance or paid interest on a card in well over a decade.  I also us the points and cash back scheme to its fullest.  I have about 4 each with their own maximized return for different types of purchases.  One for gas, one for amazon, one for other online retail etc...

View Quote

I don’t have any issues with that IF you can control it. Obviously you can and having easy access to quick credit can be a good thing at times.

I’m certainly not opposed to credit cards but only if you can control it. My wife can’t control her spending when using credit cards. So she has one but doesn’t carry it anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]

I don’t have any issues with that IF you can control it. Obviously you can and having easy access to quick credit can be a good thing at times.

I’m certainly not opposed to credit cards but only if you can control it. My wife can’t control her spending when using credit cards. So she has one but doesn’t carry it anywhere.
View All Quotes

Agree.  I know folks who will only use a debit card for this reason.  I wasn't so disciplined when I was in my younger years but fortunately, I never went crazy.  I was always well aware of any balance, and what the interest cost.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been retired for 1 year to the day. My survival preps I buy mostly at yard sales. You realize most of the things you want to buy are not needed. I need a new vehicle...Im shopping for used. Still haven't touched my 401K which sits at the low 7 figure. My wife still works (which is fine by me). Goal for everyone should be zero debt. I may not have a brand new truck in the driveway but I'm debt free.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By suprmatch:
I've been retired for 1 year to the day. My survival preps I buy mostly at yard sales. You realize most of the things you want to buy are not needed. I need a new vehicle...Im shopping for used. Still haven't touched my 401K which sits at the low 7 figure. My wife still works (which is fine by me). Goal for everyone should be zero debt. I may not have a brand new truck in the driveway but I'm debt free.
View Quote

As a recently retired person, what would you recommend to a younger person still working as far as planning for retirement?  Anything in particular you regret NOT doing?  Anything in particular you wish you HAD done to prepare for retirement?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#18]

As a recently retired person, what would you recommend to a younger person still working as far as planning for retirement?  Anything in particular you regret NOT doing?  Anything in particular you wish you HAD done to prepare for retirement?
View All Quotes

Retired in 2014.
Wish I had used the higher risk growth funds when first had started to with 401K.
Look at your circle of friends, how many are related to your job, when you retire your job related friends may not exist anymore.
Cultivate a life outside of work.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Greybeard:

Retired in 2014.
Wish I had used the higher risk growth funds when first had started to with 401K.
Look at your circle of friends, how many are related to your job, when you retire your job related friends may not exist anymore.
Cultivate a life outside of work.
View Quote

Good advise.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Young guy at work has been talking with me more and more about his retirement options.  Here's what I see as interesting.  2-3 years ago, he couldn't tell you anything about his retirement options.  Now, he is fairly knowledgeable about them.  What's even more interesting is, as he has seen his retirement accounts growing, he is getting more and more excited about it.  Excitement breeds a stronger desire to keep improving the retirement accounts and as they grow, excitement also grows.  I'm very happy to see him learning and planning.  I haven't taught him everything he knows but have been instrumental in getting him to think about it.  Very rewarding and if I can get him to think about retirement savings/planning/investing, I can get others to think about it as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Young guy at work has been talking with me more and more about his retirement options.  Here's what I see as interesting.  2-3 years ago, he couldn't tell you anything about his retirement options.  Now, he is fairly knowledgeable about them.  What's even more interesting is, as he has seen his retirement accounts growing, he is getting more and more excited about it.  Excitement breeds a stronger desire to keep improving the retirement accounts and as they grow, excitement also grows.  I'm very happy to see him learning and planning.  I haven't taught him everything he knows but have been instrumental in getting him to think about it.  Very rewarding and if I can get him to think about retirement savings/planning/investing, I can get others to think about it as well.
View Quote

Very nice!

Listening to the older guys that I work/ worked with is what got me interested.  Paying attention to what they said and suggested helped me learn about our states retirement system, and start investing beyond that.  If I had a question, I asked the guys who were squared away, and they were always happy to answer my questions and point me in the right direction.  I still have about 16 years to go but now I am one of those "guys."
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I think one of the things that has helped my wife and I more than anything is building our own house.  Now I know this may not be an option for everyone, but it is for more people than would like to admit.  Heck I made more mistakes that I can remember, and would have killed to have access to all the free youtube videos now days.   Back in '95 we found a crappy little trailer house on 6 acres and borrowed 35K to buy it.  Then for 3 yrs, we worked our tails off building.  Kind of like what was said about toys, if I couldn't pay cash, I didn't do it.  I helped the guy cut the cypress for the inside walls and the siding at the sawmill, took the wood home and stacked and dried it myself.  Wore out a little planer and table saw planing and ship lapping the wood.  Pulled wires and plumbed most of it myself.   All of this while being on call 24/7 as a small town vet.

Anyway, my point is that NOT having a payment for that house has given us so much flexibility in life.  We have been able to save so much more for retirement, and actually enjoy a few trips, a few toys along the way.  

I have a friend who's son just bought a house in Austin.....kiddo had to offer 135K over asking price.  Now has a 5K monthly note........  Talk about scare the pants off of you.  I can't imagine.  Also have no idea how long the note is.

yes, you may live in a tiny house for a while, but the freedom and peace of mind is so...........

However I must admit, we don't live the "keeping up with the Jones" lifestyle.

Just some food for thought.  And great thread!!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitulu] [#24]
A $5K monthly note, holy shit.  

That brings up there's two types of houses.  One is a house when you buy you buy thinking "I may retire here" and then there's "Its purely an investment".   Houses are like buying stock in the stock market.   You don't realize either profit or loss until you sell them.  

My concern in buying right now in any of the "no income tax states" is the blue mass migration.  Due to it being a sellers market, all of our states are currently experiencing a bubble market.  A bubble market is defined these days is when a two income household at average income for that area can not afford a home.   What that means is the bubble may burst and traditional they do.  For us in destination areas that means if the mass migration stops our house values will plummet.  2008 crash it was how many people had bad lending/borrowing practices which artificially inflated housing.  1983, Houston TX, it was the oil industry tanked and the mass migration ended.  2008 its was the 120% of investment value loans with balloons banking on a 20% increase in ten years to break even.  When so much of a market plummets, kind of a threshold, the entire market does.  To Docs point, build vs buy is a major factor.  

I can't even begin to tell you the folks I know who bought too much home by price that they couldn't sell and buy another smaller house without taking a loss and couldn't retire there due to the taxes even with the house paid for.  Their kids have to pay the taxes in hope of them inheriting.  $800,000 or Doc's $5K note, you are right there a 20% increase and its inheritance tax time.  That's how those folks got boxed in.  You need a CPA to figure the whole capital gain tax thing which can be 20% or more.  Hell I've known some who couldn't afford the Utilities.  Another BTDT myself is once you reach a certain income level to maintain it and you are in corporate America, more often than not it may involve relocating.  

There's a ton of shit to think about before we buy.  Unfortunately most people just think about "Can I afford it" and just bank on the market going up.  

Like Doc, I thank God I bought below my means.  As it is, I'm retired now in a four bedroom 2.5 bath brick with an entire floor we only visit once a month.  

Tj

View Quote

The wife unit and I just closed on our house. Built in 1989, roof is 3 years old, HVAC and water heater are brand new, and the interior has been flipped, so new laminate wood flooring, new kitchen, etc. 1400 sqft 3br/2ba with 2 car garage on a quiet cul-de-sac. $280K @ 6.125%. The monthly is $2100, and I am dropping a hair over $3K per month to pay off the note in 12 years. I specifically told my realtor that I didn't want to be "house-poor," which is why we didn't go for a $400K or $500K house, which we could probably afford with what we are paying per month as it is, but wouldn't be able to make the extra monthly payments.

My Dad and stepmom have already told us that we inherit their house when they pass on. It is a little further out in the country, sits on about an acre, more or less, and has two garages, a workshop... they are semi-retired and living their life, making improvements to their house as they see fit. Assuming that they will be around for another 20 years, we will probably sell our current house after we inherit theirs, invest the proceeds of the sale, and retire at that point.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:54:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#26]
Originally Posted By Kitulu:

The wife unit and I just closed on our house. Built in 1989, roof is 3 years old, HVAC and water heater are brand new, and the interior has been flipped, so new laminate wood flooring, new kitchen, etc. 1400 sqft 3br/2ba with 2 car garage on a quiet cul-de-sac. $280K @ 6.125%. The monthly is $2100, and I am dropping a hair over $3K per month to pay off the note in 12 years. I specifically told my realtor that I didn't want to be "house-poor," which is why we didn't go for a $400K or $500K house, which we could probably afford with what we are paying per month as it is, but wouldn't be able to make the extra monthly payments.

My Dad and stepmom have already told us that we inherit their house when they pass on. It is a little further out in the country, sits on about an acre, more or less, and has two garages, a workshop... they are semi-retired and living their life, making improvements to their house as they see fit. Assuming that they will be around for another 20 years, we will probably sell our current house after we inherit theirs, invest the proceeds of the sale, and retire at that point.
View Quote

Sounds like a wise purchase. It’s too bad so many people buy too much house. So many people end up strangled by their “need” to live in a bigger house in a nicer neighborhood. Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it but in my friend’s case, what does he need with a 5BR 3BA house for just him and his wife??  It’s a nice house but it’s strangling them….and one of a few factors that is keeping him from being able to retire. What I find amazing is he doesn’t see it. He’s 56 (57 this year) and he’s STILL being drowned with house (and other) debt. Even if things hadn’t gone kind of bad for him, he was still unable to retire even if he wanted to because of too much debt. I have no idea when he thought he would retire because even with SS, his retirement income and SS isn’t enough to support his lifestyle.

I can’t seem to convince him so I’ll just shake my head and watch  everything unfold. Best I can say here is, don’t be like him.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Heard a new term out there.  It's "Golden Handcuffs".   It refers to those who bought too much house at the once extremely low mortgage rates and now dare not sell because of the current higher interest rates.  

View Quote

I never understood the mentality of needing to buy a bigger/better house outside of having more kids than house, or moving for work. Having moved every 3 to 5 years for the last 20 years, and finally getting around to unpacking every single box that we have had in storage for the last 20 years, I have absolutely zero desire to ever move again until we inherit my Dad's house in around 20 years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Excellent point.   When Hilary ran for president when asked what to do about retirement she replied, "Look at all those 401Ks out there.  We should just take them."  

GW Bush's plan was to force a retirement fund, half of your social security.  It was only Trump who promised first to not touch social security then to fix it by growing the economy.  

Like it or not, we have no choice.  When we retire or turn 65 whichever comes first, the government becomes a big part of our lives.  
View Quote

I bring the nationalization of 401k’s  up in GD about once a year and get bowled over by the edgelords:

1) Twice in recent history, a government stole 401k investments from their citizens. Nobody rioted, nobody burned down symbols of Government, nobody was strung up from lamp posts, and the people that made the decisions didn’t end up with their face on the back of a milk carton. People sucked it up and behaved in the hopes that they might still be able to enjoy the crumbs that will hopefully be filtered back to them by the giant IOU that got stuffed into the hole where their money was. Class warfare makes this kind of action easy to do and we all know exactly how that game is played-if you even have a 401K, it’s because somehow you got more than your fair share and you’re just being coldhearted and greedy to want to keep it when others are in need….

2) If the .gov is ever in a position of having to decide to send out entitlement/welfare checks funded by your stolen 401K retirement money or not send out the checks at all, you will loose 100 times out of 100. No politician in this country will ever allow millions of people to starve and cities to devolve into biblical levels of chaos and death that spreads to suburbs as those people try to survive, and if you think they won’t turn your investment accounts from 1’s to 0’s on some server somewhere to make up that shortfall, you’re an abject fool.

3) Twice during Obama’s reign, they openly held working groups on nationalizing 401k’s. It has been discussed, and that means they had a working group on it, and that means they have a plan already in place. Plans only need a trigger for execution.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what the trigger is, and I wonder how it might work in light of plans bankers have with The Great Taking…. I can easily see our Government seizing investments early to guarantee that international interests don’t glom onto it be attaching toxic debt to Derivitives, forcing commercial banks to “invest” in those Derivitives, and then using the banks assets (your investments, cash, and mortgages) to secure the bad debt by severing the commercial bank entity separately from the parent bank corporations…
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ascendent:

I was on the money side, the midlife crisis I'm hitting right now has me travelling and spending money.  Dying rich ain't going to cut it, seems like we are all just waiting to die.
View Quote

I have never cared much about money, preferring to collect toys and experiences instead. That changed when I took a month off and got to experience what retirement might be like…. The experience was an eye opener for me. It came a bit late in life for me to set myself up with an amazing, carefree retirement, but I had already been working toward a separate rural property to use as a retirement home that is off-grid and extremely low cost living so I can make the most of the time and money I have left. My wife will very likely not be around long in my retirement due to her age, so there are a lot of open questions for what retirement might look like but as long as the economy stays reasonably robust I’ll be ok.

The problem is that expecting the economy to stay healthy is a big ask these days. We are already well overdue a typical 10 year ‘correction’….. I just hope things have time to go back to normal before It’s time to leave the workforce.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#32]

That's a great story!  Thanks for posting it!

I'm not a fan of divorce because it normally causes a lot of money a couple could have had together to be split into two households and then a huge amount normally goes to purchase toys for lawyers.  But, sometimes it's necessary. Glad it's worked for you!

I don't think we see enough good stories in this forum because we tend to be pessimistic about the future.  

I was talking to another coworker recently.  Young guy with a new family.  He used to not care about his retirement.  Another friend of ours has been pushing him to put extra away for retirement into the 457 plan at work to supplement the 2 retirement plans our employer provides.  We just found out what our pay raise is for next year.  It's not an incredible raise but it's better than nothing.  My young coworker told me he has been contributing the max to get the match from the 457 plan.  He then asked me about other retirement plans.  I recommended he look into setting up a Roth IRA.  Not sure what route he'll be taking but I think he's going to do the Roth IRA.  He's basically going to be putting his pay raise into a retirement plan instead of doing what most people do and spend it.  I'm really proud of him.
View Quote

There is always beauty in Tragedy and you usually don’t have to look hard for it. A Divorce can be incredibly Liberating for a person who is who do they say it…. Unequally Yoked. Religious types take that to mean one is a believer and the other spouse not, but when only one person is towing the boat, love can only get it so far up the river….

My own tragedy was a house fire in 2022. I was 50 years old, married for the first time the year prior, and lost basically everything. The insurance payout was pretty shit too. But, I ended up with a new house out of it 12 years before retirement and I got rid of a lot of toys that were weighing me down-you really can become slave to your possessions, and I was looking at not being able to take them with me when I retire anyway.. I was also looking at having to replace a roof, HVAC, all kinds of work on the house that I don’t have to now. I wouldn’t go thru it again willingly, but it did fix a lot of problems for me despite how horrible it was to live thru and I would imagine a divorce would be a lot the same.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Debt for toys is selling yourself into involuntary servitude…… It’s fucking insane. I did it for years putting things on credit cards and buying motorcycles I didn’t need… when I finally stopped, I was blown away with what I could afford by just paying cash. I have a credit card, but they keep shutting it off for not being used-I haven’t swiped one since 1997. My life is debt free with the exception of the mortgage and one small motorcycle loan that I had to take to make a dream come true when timing was bad, but both the mortgage and the bike loan will be gone soon-perhaps next month.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Agree.  I know folks who will only use a debit card for this reason.  I wasn't so disciplined when I was in my younger years but fortunately, I never went crazy.  I was always well aware of any balance, and what the interest cost.
View Quote

Same here, /I was just too lazy to pay more than the minimum balance. I was stuck in a cycle of being single, working nights, and buying my happiness with toys. That turned out to be unsustainable and a strong lesson learned.

Never Again.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Congrats!

My wife is retired, 47 years as a dental hygienist…. She certainly makes retirement seem like it’s not underrated. She was able to have a small IRA and gets a (pitifully) small return in rental income from apartments her parents left her, but her best retirement investment was marrying a much younger man.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#36]
A $5K monthly note, holy shit.  

That brings up there's two types of houses.  One is a house when you buy you buy thinking "I may retire here" and then there's "Its purely an investment".   Houses are like buying stock in the stock market.   You don't realize either profit or loss until you sell them.  

My concern in buying right now in any of the "no income tax states" is the blue mass migration.  Due to it being a sellers market, all of our states are currently experiencing a bubble market.  A bubble market is defined these days is when a two income household at average income for that area can not afford a home.   What that means is the bubble may burst and traditional they do.  For us in destination areas that means if the mass migration stops our house values will plummet.  2008 crash it was how many people had bad lending/borrowing practices which artificially inflated housing.  1983, Houston TX, it was the oil industry tanked and the mass migration ended.  2008 its was the 120% of investment value loans with balloons banking on a 20% increase in ten years to break even.  When so much of a market plummets, kind of a threshold, the entire market does.  To Docs point, build vs buy is a major factor.  

I can't even begin to tell you the folks I know who bought too much home by price that they couldn't sell and buy another smaller house without taking a loss and couldn't retire there due to the taxes even with the house paid for.  Their kids have to pay the taxes in hope of them inheriting.  $800,000 or Doc's $5K note, you are right there a 20% increase and its inheritance tax time.  That's how those folks got boxed in.  You need a CPA to figure the whole capital gain tax thing which can be 20% or more.  Hell I've known some who couldn't afford the Utilities.  Another BTDT myself is once you reach a certain income level to maintain it and you are in corporate America, more often than not it may involve relocating.  

There's a ton of shit to think about before we buy.  Unfortunately most people just think about "Can I afford it" and just bank on the market going up.  

Like Doc, I thank God I bought below my means.  As it is, I'm retired now in a four bedroom 2.5 bath brick with an entire floor we only visit once a month.  

Tj

View Quote

We grew up poor, in an age where houses weren’t being pushed on you as “investments”.

To me, a house is a box to keep your shit dry-a utilitarian tool that you need. The idea that it’s something that I would effectively gamble with by investing with it is grossly offensive to my very blue collar financial sensibilities. People that talk about buying a house to live in for a few years so they can flip it always strike me as wanna-be rich folks, and they always seem to be the ones that divorce when the wife sees the grand plan isn’t working out how they planned. To me, when something has debt attached to it-it is Blighted. Doesn’t matter if it is a shiny new toy or a house or whatever… I have been busted down to nothing several times in my life and the value of these things becomes stark when they become an anchor around your neck.

As for the question asked above about what to do to plan for retirement (I’m not retired, BTW), I’ll offer this: All things in Moderation, but LIVE YOUR LIFE NOW. If you have things you wanted to see, do, accomplish, you want to do them while your body is able and your mind is sharp. You’re busted up ass isn’t going to take up rock climbing or scuba diving at 74 years old. Be like me: don’t stop living-you end up happier overall, don’t have to worry about having a midlife crisis. One of the most inhumane parts of the human condition is that when society is done with us, there is nothing left for ourselves. We don’t regret the things we did in life as much as the things we never did….
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#37]

I never understood the mentality of needing to buy a bigger/better house outside of having more kids than house, or moving for work. Having moved every 3 to 5 years for the last 20 years, and finally getting around to unpacking every single box that we have had in storage for the last 20 years, I have absolutely zero desire to ever move again until we inherit my Dad's house in around 20 years.
View Quote

Obviously, you need enough room for a family if you have one but I think we were all raised in houses that were around 1000sq. feet and nobody thought it was child neglect back when we were kids… My house was 1200sq. ft. and after the fire it ended up around 1400. I paid $115k in 2013 on a 30 year note and was lucky to get it from my boss rather than duke it out with people buying move in condition rentals with cash in hand-I couldn’t compete because the banks needed the cash more than a bigger note. Since then I refi’d twice for a better rate and lower interest rate to a 15 and then a 12 year. Having been thru several recessions here in Detroit, not having a house payment is a huge priority because when times hit hard here, you cannot BUY a job if you need one.

Having more house than I need just seems irresponsible to me..
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Tell you a story.  I have a lifelong friend.  He owns a 2 bedroom brick house in a great location.  He raised four kids in that little house.  I use to feel sorry for him.  Now that we're both retired, I'm jealous.  You see one most of us blow is realizing kids grow up and leave the nest.  

I tell folks if I had to do it all over, I would have bought a 2 bedroom with a six car garage.  Another thing we don't talk about in these threads is planning on doing the things we love when we retire.   You see for the wife and I, we'd rather have another fun vehicle than a dozen cruises.  

Tj
View All Quotes

Tell you a story.  I have a lifelong friend.  He owns a 2 bedroom brick house in a great location.  He raised four kids in that little house.  I use to feel sorry for him.  Now that we're both retired, I'm jealous.  You see one most of us blow is realizing kids grow up and leave the nest.  

I tell folks if I had to do it all over, I would have bought a 2 bedroom with a six car garage.  Another thing we don't talk about in these threads is planning on doing the things we love when we retire.   You see for the wife and I, we'd rather have another fun vehicle than a dozen cruises.  

Tj

We just bought a 3br, 2ba. Master bedroom for the wife and I, spare BR #1 is the guest room. Spare BR #2 is my home gym. We have about a 4BR house worth of stuff, so we are in the process of getting rid of a lot of extra crap. I never owned a house when I had my kids with me, but the ones that we rented were 3BR.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

I have never cared much about money, preferring to collect toys and experiences instead. That changed when I took a month off and got to experience what retirement might be like…. The experience was an eye opener for me. It came a bit late in life for me to set myself up with an amazing, carefree retirement, but I had already been working toward a separate rural property to use as a retirement home that is off-grid and extremely low cost living so I can make the most of the time and money I have left. My wife will very likely not be around long in my retirement due to her age, so there are a lot of open questions for what retirement might look like but as long as the economy stays reasonably robust I’ll be ok.

The problem is that expecting the economy to stay healthy is a big ask these days. We are already well overdue a typical 10 year ‘correction’….. I just hope things have time to go back to normal before It’s time to leave the workforce.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ascendent:

I was on the money side, the midlife crisis I'm hitting right now has me travelling and spending money.  Dying rich ain't going to cut it, seems like we are all just waiting to die.

My mom retired a couple of years ago. She doesn't do anything. She watches her shows, plays games on her phone, and takes her dog for walks. she used to paint and do other arts/crafts, but she stopped. That's it. It worries me sometimes. I asked her why she didn't at least volunteer somewhere, and she told me that after working for her entire life, she didn't want to have to adhere to a schedule anymore. I get that part, but if I were to retire, I would want to fill my time with something.

I actually enjoy my current job. I went in today and clocked 7 hours of OT to fix two airplanes and start troubleshooting a third.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#40]

My mom retired a couple of years ago. She doesn't do anything. She watches her shows, plays games on her phone, and takes her dog for walks. she used to paint and do other arts/crafts, but she stopped. That's it. It worries me sometimes. I asked her why she didn't at least volunteer somewhere, and she told me that after working for her entire life, she didn't want to have to adhere to a schedule anymore. I get that part, but if I were to retire, I would want to fill my time with something.

I actually enjoy my current job. I went in today and clocked 7 hours of OT to fix two airplanes and start troubleshooting a third.
View Quote

Some people need purpose, and structure, some don’t….  I won’t have any problem watching cartoons and eating cereal so to speak in retirement-I can’t wait to not have to worry about other people’s problems or have to get up early in the wee hours of the morning to go to work. I have the odd problem of not giving a damn about my career but like the company and enjoy mentoring my interns and coworkers.

I can’t wait.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#41]

We grew up poor, in an age where houses weren’t being pushed on you as “investments”.

To me, a house is a box to keep your shit dry-a utilitarian tool that you need. The idea that it’s something that I would effectively gamble with by investing with it is grossly offensive to my very blue collar financial sensibilities. People that talk about buying a house to live in for a few years so they can flip it always strike me as wanna-be rich folks, and they always seem to be the ones that divorce when the wife sees the grand plan isn’t working out how they planned. To me, when something has debt attached to it-it is Blighted. Doesn’t matter if it is a shiny new toy or a house or whatever… I have been busted down to nothing several times in my life and the value of these things becomes stark when they become an anchor around your neck.

As for the question asked above about what to do to plan for retirement (I’m not retired, BTW), I’ll offer this: All things in Moderation, but LIVE YOUR LIFE NOW. If you have things you wanted to see, do, accomplish, you want to do them while your body is able and your mind is sharp. You’re busted up ass isn’t going to take up rock climbing or scuba diving at 74 years old. Be like me: don’t stop living-you end up happier overall, don’t have to worry about having a midlife crisis. One of the most inhumane parts of the human condition is that when society is done with us, there is nothing left for ourselves. We don’t regret the things we did in life as much as the things we never did….
View Quote

I agree you should live life now. Find the balance. Spending everything you make now isn’t smart….but I also think saving every penny just to die with lots of money saved up for your heirs to spend….isn’t smart either. My friend is living it up but doesn’t have enough working years ahead of him. He has made lots of financial mistakes and continues to do so. In my case, all my various retirements are doing well and the house will be paid for in about 2 years. Since we are living comfortably, we have decided to enjoy what we have….responsibly. We just got offered a VERY good deal on a luxurious vacation to Mexico later this year and we decided to go ahead and do it. We have the money and will be paying everything with cash (we ONLY go on paid for vacations….if we have to put it on credit, we don’t go).

I believe the key is finding a financial balance. The younger you are when you really start building your financial future, the faster that point comes when you are financially secure.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
I’m a professional wealth manager. After almost 30 years, hundreds of clients, and thousands of case studies, here is my sage observation distilled down to one statement:

The fastest way to get poor is to act rich.

OP’s friend acted rich. Now he’s poor.
View Quote

I 100% agree

It takes more self control to make sacrifices when you are young but it makes life so much easier when you get old.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sigman68:

I 100% agree

It takes more self control to make sacrifices when you are young but it makes life so much easier when you get old.
View Quote

I worked a lot of hours in my 20s and 30s. I lived within my means. I was young and it wasn’t hard to work those long hours. As a result, now that I’m in my 40s, I’m sure I could work those long hours again if I needed to…but I don’t want to. More importantly, thanks to working those long hours when I was young, I don’t have to any more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#45]

I agree you should live life now. Find the balance. Spending everything you make now isn’t smart….but I also think saving every penny just to die with lots of money saved up for your heirs to spend….isn’t smart either. My friend is living it up but doesn’t have enough working years ahead of him. He has made lots of financial mistakes and continues to do so. In my case, all my various retirements are doing well and the house will be paid for in about 2 years. Since we are living comfortably, we have decided to enjoy what we have….responsibly. We just got offered a VERY good deal on a luxurious vacation to Mexico later this year and we decided to go ahead and do it. We have the money and will be paying everything with cash (we ONLY go on paid for vacations….if we have to put it on credit, we don’t go).

I believe the key is finding a financial balance. The younger you are when you really start building your financial future, the faster that point comes when you are financially secure.
View All Quotes

Well said.  My wife and I don't have any kids and probably never will.  We are doing our best to have fun, adventures, enjoy life now while we are relatively young while still being financially responsible and also saving for retirement.  Me having a .gov job/ pension helps but I save and invest too (getting harder as stuff keeps getting more expensive.)  I also invest in emergency preparedness probably more than most I personally know.  Not necessarily as just buying stuff but more of a lifestyle/ general overall plan.  I could easily go down the doomsday bunker rabbit hole and obsess but I don't let myself.  I refuse to let that stop me from hopping on a plane, flying east to west and camping in the Mojave for a week if I want to but that too is getting more expensive.  I don't lose sleep over the thought of a collapse, but I do have a hedge against that as well.  Like said prior it's a balance, and finding your own is key.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

to your brother.  You got a good woman too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:07:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TomJefferson] [#47]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Totally agree.  Making $ is great but if your $ goes out faster than it comes in, problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:42:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#49]
I have been giving this some thought and figured I would post it. If it offends some readers…..well so be it. Perhaps someone out there is reading this and will benefit.

I think we all need to first define what we want in retirement. Like all things, plans can change. But, you have to start somewhere. If you want to watch TV 7 days a week in your tiny house or apt, you probably won’t need much money. If you want to do multiple worldwide trips yearly in retirement, you’ll need a lot of money. Defining what you want also means where do you want to live.

Once you have defined what you want, then you have to figure out the costs. Perhaps you live in West Virginia today but want to retire in Florida. If so, your living expenses will likely be higher in FL than WV. So figure out what your expenses will be. And, estimate higher than you think you’ll need.

Once you have done the above, then look at your current retirement(s) funds/pensions. Will you have enough money to attain and sustain your retirement goals? If not, can you save/invest more? If not, perhaps you need to refine down your plans.

I think if you do the above, you should be just fine. The earlier the better. Realistically, we should probably all do this by our mid 30s at the latest. In our 20s we are usually focused on career development. As long as money is going into retirement accounts/pensions in our 20s, we can hold off on planning. We can do it later but our goals will likely be harder to attain the longer we wait.

I have been watching a variety of YouTube videos on retirement ideas and strategies and can post some if anyone is interested.

And another story from an acquaintance of mine. Hes about 50yr old. He has no other retirement or funds than what he currently has accrued. He has about 10 years of retirement benefits in his pension plan. He took a cash payout from his last pension and spent it. We were talking about retirement and he told me he has come to the realization he will HAVE to work till he’s 65.  He seemed sad but resigned to that reality.  I can do math and I know roughly what his pension will be worth when he’s 65. It’s not much. Luckily for him, he’s got simple tastes and doesn’t have too much debt. But, poor decisions earlier in life are now coming back to haunt him.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top