Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2024 1:28:01 PM EDT
I have one of these radios in my Jeep and another in my house.

The holder I have in the Jeep doesn't get small enough to hold the radio so I hacked out a part in plywood that has worked for a couple years.  Just replaced it with a 3D printed part.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also made a stand for the radio in the house.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Radio in the Jeep mount.

Attachment Attached File

Picture was taken with the plywood part.  Just wanted to show the mount.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K0UA:
Looks good.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I may have one of those radios in the stash.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice!  What filament material did you use?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Very nice!  What filament material did you use?
View Quote

I had the parts printed at the local library.  They only use PLA.  Lots of color choices though.

They charge 3 cents per gram.  If the print takes over 4 hrs, they charge an additional 50 cents per hour.

The two parts above were 75 cents each.

I submitted the file for the stand and for another part yesterday - one before lunch and one after.  They were done around 8pm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:
I may have one of those radios in the stash.
View Quote

Let me know if you want the files.  I designed them using OnShape.

I do need to tweak the stand design as the front side rib interfered with the radio before I got the Drexel out.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I would print you one out of ASA (UV and temp resistant) but got my peepee slapped last time for non EE sales although I never charged anything, by a mod that doesn't even post here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mancow:
I would print you one out of ASA (UV and temp resistant) but got my peepee slapped last time for non EE sales although I never charged anything, by a mod that doesn't even post here.
View Quote

Hah, thanks.

I do wonder how the part in the Jeep will hold up.  It does get parked in the garage.

I have a couple friends with printers so they are always an option.

Thanks for the offer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#10]
Originally Posted By raffi383:

Hah, thanks.

I do wonder how the part in the Jeep will hold up.  It does get parked in the garage.

Thanks for the offer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hah, thanks.

Thanks for the offer.

It will fail, most likely. If it's in the sun at all it will fail fast. If it's in shade and there is no weight or tension anywhere it stands a partial chance. PLA turns to playdough in the heat of a vehicle.

I printed a housing for a thermal camera out of ASA that rides on my Jeep Gladiator bumper. It's rock solid and looks like it did the day I printed it, sun, heat, car washes, etc... PLA would have been a blob by now.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Hit my up with a message and I can describe more about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]

It will fail, most likely. If it's in the sun at all it will fail fast. If it's in shade and there is no weight or tension anywhere it stands a partial chance. PLA turns to playdough in the heat of a vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hah, thanks.

Thanks for the offer.

Good to know.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah that's where I was going with the question.  I printed a part to adapt a fishing pole to an arca rail so I could clamp it to a camera tripod for a portable antenna mast.  It worked great, so I set it up and left it in service for a week outside in the summer.  By the end of the week there was noticeable deformation of the plastic.  This was in direct sunlight without the heat-concentrating effect of being in a closed car.

I think you'd be fine with ABS filament.  Fiber reinforced Nylon would be even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top