Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2023 12:31:29 PM EDT
I'm looking at going hog hunting on public land in   Feb.- Mar. The areas call for rim fire if big game season is out.
I have a Ruger in 17 wsm.  Should I run what I have or get a 22 mag.? Not my first hog hunt but I would like to hear from guys that have done it with either cartage.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Um, neither...and if you live in a state where this is the only option, that's some unethical stuff.  What about a shotty with some 00?
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
The 17 WSM has about 100 ft lbs more energy than the heavier 22 mag and the bullet design is more accurate, the question is penetration….. That said I have no time behind anything in 17 cal and know of multiple kills with 22 mag coyotes, gators, beef etc.  I wonder if the rules would allow a muzzleloader hogs are tough critters I’ve shot one with a 30 carbine and not recovered it. Who ever made the rule is an idiot. 12 ga would definitely be a good option.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I imagine the 22M with solids and limited to head shots w/in 100 yards... seen them empty out live trapped pigs with a 10/22, but yeah center fire is best,
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mytus:  Um, neither...and if you live in a state where this is the only option, that's some unethical stuff.  What about a shotty with some 00?
View Quote

Think we may have some WMAs that are rimfire only.  We've got a million acres of it, we have some crummy rules too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Crossbow if legal. Feral hogs are a nuisance use whatever you shoot best and wait for a headshot. They are a blast with archery equipment.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How big of hogs?  Love the 17 WSM, dropped a lot of coyotes with it but try not to exceed 200 yards except on prairie dogs.  .223 would be better on anything over 50 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
22mag works great or hogs. Smaller pigs get shot straight up the front leg 1/3 to 1/2 up the shoulder. Larger pigs at the base of the ear. The 17 will work fine too. Use a solid bullet in the 17 for the penetration. We go to pig camp several times a year where we are limited to rimfire. BCA’s 22mag makes it a lot of fun. Don’t miss that brain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top