Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2023 2:50:29 PM EDT
Going to try my hand at deer hunting for the first time ever. Stupid ohio laws limit us to straight walled cartridges for gun hunting, and I don't have an AR upper that works for the right calibers.

I do, however, have a Kimber Super Jagare that I'd like to use. Just have no idea what ammo to use. Holy shit underwood is expensive.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ideally, a hard cast 180-200 grain lead flat point.

Hornady 135 Monoflex, Hornady Custom 180 XTP, Winchester Big Bore 200 and Federal Premium Solid Core 200 are decent choices
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the quick reply. I have ZERO idea what I'm doing. Have a couple trail cams out, there are at least a doe and good sized buck in my woods. Going to move my FIL's tree stand so I can get a good angle on where they move through
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Federal fusion might be good as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Underwood has some on sale, how many will you really need.
Underwood 180 gr HP
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The last deer I shot with a handgun round was a 9mm 147gr Black Talon one shot behind the shoulder at 60 feet. I recovered the round in the hide of the other side and it had failed to expand at all. With that I recommend the cheapest FMJ you shoot well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Same here,use a g20 with 200 grain underwood hardcast.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The standard Hornady XTP load will work just fine with good shot placement. My reloads are XTP running just slightly warmer than the factory load. It’s just where I found the accuracy node for both my Nighthawk long slide and my Delta Elite. You don’t need nuclear power to kill a deer. What you do need is accurate shot placement within your predetermined limits. Think of your pistol as a loud bow and hunt accordingly. I’ve killed several Ohio deer with my setup. One thing that I recommend is don’t fall for the one shot fallacy that so many people embrace. If you knock one down shoot ‘em again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
The standard Hornady XTP load will work just fine with good shot placement. My reloads are XTP running just slightly warmer than the factory load. It’s just where I found the accuracy node for both my Nighthawk long slide and my Delta Elite. You don’t need nuclear power to kill a deer. What you do need is accurate shot placement within your predetermined limits. Think of your pistol as a loud bow and hunt accordingly. I’ve killed several Ohio deer with my setup. One thing that I recommend is don’t fall for the one shot fallacy that so many people embrace. If you knock one down shoot ‘em again.
View Quote

Roger that, thanks. I want a delta elite so badly. LGS had one last year that was cerakoted fde.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Found this guy on my game cam

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot several with a hand loaded 180 xtp I'd definitely recommend any factory full power load with that bullet
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
The last deer I shot with a handgun round was a 9mm 147gr Black Talon one shot behind the shoulder at 60 feet. I recovered the round in the hide of the other side and it had failed to expand at all. With that I recommend the cheapest FMJ you shoot well.
View Quote

FMJ is illegal to hunt game animals with in all the places I've ever hunted. Which, admittedly, isn't everywhere.  So maybe it's legal some places but I still wouldn't use it.

I've killed several deer with Gold Dots in my 45 and all of the ones I recovered were expanded properly and did well.  So I would suggest some 10mm gold dot.

I'd like to go on record and state that I don't think shooting a deer with a handgun is a good idea for someone that's never hunted or been on a blood trail before.  Get a 450 bushmaster/350 legend/360 buckhammer/other straight walled rifle cartridge or a shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keymaster4225] [#12]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

FMJ is illegal to hunt game animals with in all the places I've ever hunted. Which, admittedly, isn't everywhere.  So maybe it's legal some places but I still wouldn't use it.

I've killed several deer with Gold Dots in my 45 and all of the ones I recovered were expanded properly and did well.  So I would suggest some 10mm gold dot.

I'd like to go on record and state that I don't think shooting a deer with a handgun is a good idea for someone that's never hunted or been on a blood trail before.  Get a 450 bushmaster/350 legend/360 buckhammer/other straight walled rifle cartridge or a shotgun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eclark53520:

I'm not entirely going to disagree with you on the last point honestly, no offense taken.

@eclark53520
Is BCA adequate for a couple times a year 350 legend upper?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If your hunting woods a 12 or 20 gauge smooth bore with slugs would work great and would likely be a less expensive option and could be used on other game as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:

I'm not entirely going to disagree with you on the last point honestly, no offense taken.

@eclark53520
Is BCA adequate for a couple times a year 350 legend upper?
View Quote

As long as it slings bullets into a nice group at the distance you're looking to hunt, it don't matter who makes it in my opinion.  

Back when I started hunting....everyone got a 12gauge shotgun, handed slugs, a paper plate hung on a tree.  If you hit the paper plate 3 out of 5 shots and didn't tip over from the recoil...you were hunting.  lol...long ways from how I started my kids hunting...but just keep your range decent and put a rifle round through the boiler room, they won't go far and should leave a nice trail to follow if they don't drop right there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

9mm FMJ doesn’t kill deer worth a damn.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
I've shot several with a hand loaded 180 xtp I'd definitely recommend any factory full power load with that bullet
View Quote

This is my hunting load as well with AA #9 powder.

I've killed a lot of hogs and one deer so far with that load and found it to be a very effective killing round.

This doe went maybe 20 yards... shot passed through and Ray Charles could follow the short blood trail.

This big guy dropped like a sack of taters.

As far as 9mm, I shot this hog at about 15 yards with a 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot... he went maybe 15-20 yards after that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top