Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't ask me. I got all 3 licenses, installed an antenna, bought all my gear, and about to buy a new radio all while "unemployed". Of course I don't have a wife and kids. I just found out this week that my girlfriend of 19 years is making about 5x what I was previously. She should have kept that to herself. It really did nothing to reduce my recovery time
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But what's strange about that theory is that there's a 8? week wait before shipping an Eagle.  
I don't remember the amount of time because the deal was dead to me when I couldn't do the payment plan.
And a personal update - I got an email that RedHat is offering $3000 of training and certification exam for the cost of the exam alone - $600.
I'm probably going to hit the savings account for that expense to improve my ability to stay employed over getting a radio.
Income to maintain the roof over the heads of my family has to come first.  
Maybe I should just learn CW.  Then I could use cheaper radios.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that's exactly what the sale was for, an inventory reduction while moving to their new facility.

But what's strange about that theory is that there's a 8? week wait before shipping an Eagle.  
I don't remember the amount of time because the deal was dead to me when I couldn't do the payment plan.
And a personal update - I got an email that RedHat is offering $3000 of training and certification exam for the cost of the exam alone - $600.
I'm probably going to hit the savings account for that expense to improve my ability to stay employed over getting a radio.
Income to maintain the roof over the heads of my family has to come first.  
Maybe I should just learn CW.  Then I could use cheaper radios.

again, homie, will likely be selling my Argonaut VI when my Eagle arrives.  wait time on the sale for those who purchased, by the time i did (a couple hours under the deadline), is 12-14 weeks.  will be working my CW skills on my Argo VI in the interim.  let me know if you are interested, as i'll probably be putting i up in the $800-$900 range.

10W gets you pretty far in CW.  also, there are some cheap amps that will be you up to 50W that are highly rated for about $250.

Hardrock 50W amp site

Hardrock Eham reviews

learning CW has wide ranging applications in the hobby, & makes the most of whatever wattage you should choose to use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#3]
according to my calculations, from the December 2013 issue of QST magazine, 10W of CW is equal to ~500W of SSB.  PSK is even better than CW.

check my old thread here, which references the article, so you can read it yourself.  makes for interesting reading/thought-provoking:

old thread i made

ETA:  most of the replies in the thread linked didn't do the calcs, unfortunately.  "robmkivseries70" seemed to have seen the dB figure i quoted, & one other poster "wdlsguy" seemed to go a calc that got him 10W CW = 270W SSB.

take a look & see what you think.  of course, ceteris parabis, you are always better off w/ more power, for a given mode, but if you are willing to trade CW skill for $$, it seems like possibly a reasonable way to go, while saving up money for an amp or a full-strength xceiver.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:...

The 590 does not have discreet filters that can  be bought and sold or changed, ...,
the range of the filters are infinite - you can adjust them in the menu....

true,  but the 590 comes with 500 Hz / 2.7 kHz filters built in, you adjust them with knobs on the front of the rig

...The hardest part was trying to use a Signalink with the 590, not knowing that it already had a built in sound card....

RTFM dude, LOL soundcard built-in  

The Kenwood TS 590 compares to the ICOM 7700 or 7800 rig costing 5 times as much or more!

sherwood's and QST's specs agree !

View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top