Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2014 5:51:33 PM EDT
Assuming, god forbid, that something bad happened (bio/chem/nuke/zombie/government order/etc) and as of today/right now you and everyone else, had to shelter in place for 30 days.  How would you fair?  You hear an alert/news; grab your stuff from the car, go inside, lock the door for 30 days.
Grid starts going down immediately due to no one to man/maintain the grid.  So no power, water, gas, etc.
You can't go outside, no one comes in or out.
You need to consider heat/cold, water, food, medicine or anything you really need to survive 30 days without going outside.  Keep in mind that consumption of food and water can be significantly reduced due to lack of exertion.  

List pro's (things you're confident of), cons' (things you're not confident of) and what you plan to change in the future.

Me;  
Pro's
>30+ days
Dried Beans/rice, canned foods, etc
I have almost no variety in food choices, boring but I'm confident we would "survive".
Plenty of blankets, the weather here is very mild.
Enough batteries for flashlights and radios to help keep sanity.
I have practiced meditation and stretching exercises that can limit daily consumption yet stay fit in limited space.
I have a backpacking stove and kerosene lanterns
21+ gal of liquid fuel.  Should be enough to cook at least two hot meal per day plus lanterns.
Good FAK,
Trash bags, in case sewer stops working.

Con's
We should have more water, we will "survive" but it would be very limited for 2 people.
+50 gal in the hot water tank,  10 x 5gal water jugs = 100 gallons = 1.66 gal/day/each
+ 40 gal if I can fill the tub before water goes out = 140gal/2people/30days = 2.33 gal per/day/each
Low on canned meats.  About 1 serving every other day.  Enough.
Low on oils.  
FAK needs needs some Boo-Boo consumables like Pepto, Ceralyte, fiber pills.
I'm out of peanut butter for fat nutrients (fortunately I carry spare fat around with me all the time, just in case)

Lesson; I need more water storage
Stock up on meats, oils, nuts and food variety.
Need Pepto, fiber pills, Ceralyte,  
More fuel for stove/lanterns.
Spare wicks for lanterns (but I know I can make wicks from old jeans).
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Without a doubt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
yup
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Locking the doors and not going outside? Nope.  Last about 2 days before the toilets are full and start stinking/becoming a health risk.  Also generator isn't inside so freezers would go down, while not a world ender it's a lot of meat to loose.

Other than that I could use more water but I'd make it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The PSP pulled that shelter in place crap recently up in the pocono's.  It was a whole 24-48hrs before the natives got restless.  The main concern was the elderly and pets left alone.  Much longer than a few days and who-ever issued it better outnumber and outgun those they are issuing it against or they might be told to go pound sand in a less than cordial manner.

Now that was for a police matter.  Not a natural disaster or anything like that.

If mother nature was the one giving the order I think we would be fine but the have-nots would be out in droves trying to steal/loot what they need as well as things they want given the opportunity.  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Locking the doors and not going outside? Nope.  Last about 2 days before the toilets are full and start stinking/becoming a health risk.  Also generator isn't inside so freezers would go down, while not a world ender it's a lot of meat to loose.

View Quote

For toilets all you need is water.  Unless the sewers back up, which would take quite a while around here, you're fine.  

Why couldn't you thaw and smoke the meat to preserve it?

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Assume for the sake of argument it is in your interest to not go outside.  Deadly "flu" outbreak or similar.  That's why no one is manning the power stations/utilities.

For toilet you can simply line the toilet with trash bags and use as normal, no water.  Replace when it gets stinky.  You just need a can to store the bags in.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Assume for the sake of argument it is in your interest to not go outside.  Deadly "flu" outbreak or similar.  That's why no one is manning the power stations/utilities.

For toilet you can simply line the toilet with trash bags and use as normal, no water.  Replace when it gets stinky.  You just need a can to store the bags in.
View Quote

You could go outside, flu is washed away by rain and destroyed by UV.

Just don't interact with people. I think going outside to run your genny would be fine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Survive? Sure. but I'm not sure why I can't go outside at all. Inside, outside, same damn thing unless the house is really sealed and mine is definitely not. If it was, well, who here has bottled air or scrubbers to run for 30 days? I could get that with a trip to work, but I think I'll just be more practical and not go anywhere but not worry about it if I have to go outside for a minute or to and from my garage. There's a big difference between shelter in place and being confined to the house entirely.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I could do it.
I have the food, water, ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Hells yeah.  More like 90+ days in place, with stores on hand.  Food, water, sanitation, shelter.  Got cold weather in hand, but I'd sweat some without power if we were heading into summer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#11]
30 days would be cake. Anything over 6 months would make me iffy on water.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]
No sweat.

My fish would be healthy, too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For toilets all you need is water.  Unless the sewers back up, which would take quite a while around here, you're fine.  

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Emt1581

Well asuming you cant go outside. ?. Would you start a fire in the house?

Also, not everyone has the means or need for a bunch of firewood, hence no smoking of items.  Maybe salt curing, but that takes time as well.

OP, We might be able to,,especially if we caugt the bathtubs for water.  Admittedly it would be lean rations.  However with a pregnant wife and 20 month old, it isnt practical.  Backyard access would greatly improve matters.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#15]
yep
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

How would you catch a flu simply by walking around your own property and not in contact with anyone?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well asuming you cant go outside. ?. Would you start a fire in the house?

Also, not everyone has the means or need for a bunch of firewood, hence no smoking of items.  Maybe salt curing, but that takes time as well.

OP, We might be able to,,especially if we caugt the bathtubs for water.  Admittedly it would be lean rations.  However with a pregnant wife and 20 month old, it isnt practical.  Backyard access would greatly improve matters.
View Quote

You're barking up the wrong tree.  I've got a wood stove.  If you don't, that's your issue.  

EDIT:  BTW, that is NOT what I'd suggest for a smoker, but I've read of a few who have done it in certain stoves in small batches.

But I've read where people have turned their attics into smokers.  

But I'm having a hard time understanding a situation that would 1) Last a month or more, 2) Would prevent me from going outside, and 3) That I'd be able to survive given my apparent lack of planning/prepping which prevents me from eating/drinking much past a few days...?  But that's more for the OP to speak to.

As I said in my first post, it just happened around here for a few days and there were no reports of mass casualties.  Plus, it was out of fear of a sniper and people still were able to move around their property...just did it quickly without fartin around.  Plus they stayed away from doors/windows.  This is why I can't imagine a scenario fitting the OP's criteria.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope....   Military life has me living a bit thin...  Too much moving around for this guy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How would you catch a flu simply by walking around your own property and not in contact with anyone?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a hypothetical, but assume it is in your interest to stay inside.  It's a deadly air borne flu/Ebola/etc and either the government is enforcing the order or the less prepared are wandering around infecting each other.  Go outside and either the government gets you for violating the order or you get infected.  In this case those that can remain indoors want to stay inside.

ETA; the point is simply a though exercise to asses your preps in place.  Shelter in place is usually much shorter, like 24 hours for chemical spill, bad guy in area.  Ebola can require you to self quarantine for 21-30 days, etc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I can do it, but in reality I wouldn't hole up for a full month.

There's a river full of fish a half mile from my house, and a zoo full of fresh meat on the other side of it.

As I work for an army contractor I would be expected to be at work (especially) if the shtf. I'm going to be outside regardless, so I might as well get to the river and feed the neighborhood after work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Everyone who insisted on going outside, despite being warned it was in your interest not to, is now dead and you've infected everyone you came in contact with including those in your home.  They are also dead.  All you had to do was sit tight for 30 days.
You failed.  You're dead.

Next time follow along with the hypothetical.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Everyone who insisted on going outside, despite being warned it was in your interest not to, is now dead and you've infected everyone you came in contact with including those in your home.  They are also dead.  All you had to do was sit tight for 30 days.
You failed.  You're dead.

View Quote

But it's not a realistic hypothetical, as least from what I've seen you explain so far.

I could start a thread and say, due to the zombie apocalypse, breathing any air anywhere on earth will now kill you....how do you survive?...ok go!

...that would make about as much sense.

Now, not leaving your property, not leaving your neighborhood, etc....fine.  But in all my years of prepping, not once have I seen an issue that would prevent someone from leaving their home for 30+ days....AND....said issue would not have killed them in the first place.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Would need  a little warning to top off water containers. The low probability of no warning keeps me from keeping them filled and going through the hassle of rotating water.
A little warning would allow me to get the water and fuel inside the house also.

Warning and the ability to move around to the garage and back yard(to a makeshift latrine I would build)  would make it quite doable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes I am probably light on bleach , But otherwise I am good
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Water would be my issue.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I would welcome the relaxing quiet time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.  It would suck though
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's a hypothetical, but assume it is in your interest to stay inside.  It's a deadly air borne flu/Ebola/etc and either the government is enforcing the order or the less prepared are wandering around infecting each other.  Go outside and either the government gets you for violating the order or you get infected.  In this case those that can remain indoors want to stay inside.

ETA; the point is simply a though exercise to asses your preps in place.  Shelter in place is usually much shorter, like 24 hours for chemical spill, bad guy in area.  Ebola can require you to self quarantine for 21-30 days, etc.
View Quote

I don't see the gov't telling people they have to close their doors and not come out for 30 days
The typical US house has two weeks of food on the shelves. The gov't isn't going to order or enforce a complete lock-down knowing that
Like those reporters who broke the voluntary quarantine, they simply would get mass non-compliance because the vast majority of the public isn't set up to ride out that length of time.
I understand its an exercise
I think a more realistic one would be to limit you to your own property, however large that is
Locking yourself into your house with no exterior movement is more like an exercise in a CBRN incident......

I guess the point is that if people can move around their property they can run generators, access supplies on their property etc..all things that would promote survival more than simply closing the door on the outside world for 30 days

As for me, 30 days would be stretching it..based on hat I am able to store in the actual home. I live in a 5 room house with a crawlspace for a basement. Not a lot of space. I could make it on water and food in the house, but cooking etc would be out of the question. Much of that stuff isn't stored in the house due to space limitations

Having been confined to a house for 30 days post surgery I can tell you that a big thing by week two is finding ways to keep your mind occupied. By week three just being driven to the grocery store ...a place I normally detest....was a big deal
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Stop by the box store or grocery, get some treats and yummy food for a month and go to the mtn.

No issue...

Maybe take some extra solar panels to trade if it lasts longer.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
yep.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#31]
This would require an artisan water supply, or a metric fuck ton of inside water storage.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Piece of fucking cake.....although I'd be a wee bit ripe after 30 days.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Without a doubt.
View Quote

the only negative is the bills will not stop but work will

30 days not so much a problem beyond that it would get interesting
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Not exit the house? No. Go about only on the property? Yes, absolutely.

I have never intended to prepare for a situation where I could not even walk outside. The conditions would deteriorate in the house at a very quick rate. Not to mention I would need to get firewood.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#35]
GTG for 60 days. Soon to be 90.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Not exit the house? No. Go about only on the property? Yes, absolutely.

I have never intended to prepare for a situation where I could not even walk outside. The conditions would deteriorate in the house at a very quick rate. Not to mention I would need to get firewood.

View Quote
About here. Hard to have the farm in the house.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Without a doubt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:40:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes.

I'd like to be able to say that for 3 months, but I'm working on it...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Uhm, Duh.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#40]
No going outside I would be screwed on water, I have about 40 gallons stored inside not including the water heater. If I could go outside I have a river in back of my house.

I would be set on food, fuel, FAK, etc. but waters the killer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:06:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Having been confined to a house for 30 days post surgery I can tell you that a big thing by week two is finding ways to keep your mind occupied. By week three just being driven to the grocery store ...a place I normally detest....was a big deal

Amen to that.  
Being forced to stay in side by the .gov. That ain't happening. Maybe in Boston, NYC or other large urban D/ progressive leaning area. In my area, GFL, keeping anyone inside.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Absolutely!  180 days + here. Closethe gate & wait on the zombies & looters.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes, closer to 60 days, but the kids (6,8,10) would be pissed and complete pain in in butts.  I fear their wrath more than zombies, TEOTWAWKI, and the government combined.  :)
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#44]
I think it's ridiculous to think I can't go outside my house. What circumstances would necesitate that. I could go a long time (months to years) without leaving my property but I'm gonna go out to the outbuildings. I can't imagine anything so nasty that I can't go outside that would'nt get inside the house somehow.

Tom

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#45]
HELL  Yes I would.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes.  It would suck though
View Quote

This.

I'm counting on going outside if something bad happens.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
but dont we have a zombie forum for the stupid shit?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I only have 30 gallons of water stored right now. Assuming that the taps are off limits, we would run out of water in 10 days.  I do have two water bobs that I could fill if a short notice was given that i think hold 100 gallons each. At one time I had a 300 gallon storage tank in my basement. I need to dig another one up.

BTW, I  spoke to a preparedness-minded woman in our church group that once lived in a house without water for two weeks.  She said four gallons per person per day is much more realistic amount to store for anything but absolute survival. This included enough for washcloth baths and flushing feces down (letting the urine sit in the toilet)  

Other than the water weakness, I could survive in house 30 days. If allowed within the confines of my yard I would do comparatively well with lighting and communication, and entertainment..
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#49]
While the premise is BEYOND possible, 30 days? Heck, we would still be taking hot showers..

In the valley I live in. there are about 30 homes, almost none within sight of each other. All with (at least) 4 sides. That's 120 guys, 24/7 to watch just US, 3 shifts, so 360 total... and there are just about 30 LEOs in our COUNTY.

The "hypothetical" is so "not possible" as to not really be worth discussing, even for "what if" or "Just for giggles" talking points. The sad part is, that if you actually made the question realistic, with something like a 96 hour requirement, the number of people who can't or wouldn't, would scare you.  

Even if it was some unmanned death ray from space enforced my martians who don't sleep and see all, turn the water off for 4 days and MOST people will be through.

Turn the internet/electronics off for 48hours and most will go outside just to "get it over with"..
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Easily
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top