Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2015 6:16:05 AM EDT
With all the talking heads warning us about this "historic" snow storm coming east today, it's nice to be prepared.

Excuse me while I throw another log on the fire.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup. Generator and snow blower are full. Three different heat sources and lots of food. Bring it.
I survived blizzard of 78 and etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Watching what happens in NYC should be interesting. If 3 feet of snow falls there, we'll get to see some genuine examples of un-prepared people and inept Government.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watching what happens in NYC should be interesting. If 3 feet of snow falls there, we'll get to see some genuine examples of un-prepared people and inept Government.

View Quote

Is it wrong that I am entertained by this?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  These things happen.  It's not like you're standing idly by and watching the world burn, that's our President's job.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The NYPD will probably shoot a bunch of children, saying that snowballs are unlicensed weapons.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
This is from Wunderground formerly weather.org its for lower CT/Ny border. Its winter.... it snows

Monday 90% Precip. / ~ 1 in
Cloudy with snow showers this morning and steady snow likely this afternoon. High 27F. Winds NE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 90%. About one inch of snow expected.
Monday Night 100% Precip. / 8-12 in
Snow and gusty winds will lead to blizzard conditions at times. Thunder possible. Low 24F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. Snow accumulating 8 to 12 inches.
Tuesday
01/27
24 | 17 °F
Tuesday 100% Precip. / 3-5 in
Windy. Heavy snow and blizzard conditions during the morning will give way to snow showers during the afternoon. High 24F. Winds NNW at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 3 to 5 inches of snow expected.
Tuesday Night 40% Precip. / < 1 in
Snow showers before midnight. Becoming partly cloudy later. Low 17F. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

My girlfriend lives in RI.  I live in NH.

The difference in the news is hillarious.

RI:  "OMG!  Blizzard Warning!  ALERT!  ALERT!   BLIZZARD COMING!"

NH: "Gonna be some snow tomorrow night."
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If 3 feet of snow falls there, we'll get to see some genuine examples of un-prepared people and inept Government.

View Quote

You don't need 3' of snow to see that in NYC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

What's the deal with the bread and milk rage during a "storm" I've never understood it. Can food, rice and water is what I have in stock for snow days if needed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Its gettting that bad up here. When was growing up, when they said "It will probably snow tonight", we would get 6 inches. No big deal, no freak out. We went to work, plowed out that evening. Now, if they are forecasting 3-5, OMG!!! SHUT IT ALL DOWN!!! EMERGENCY!!!! Accidents everywhere, THOUSANDS in the ditch. The news people are practically running around the set screaming "The HUMANITY!!!". Sheesh

Too many somalians are being imported to MN I think. Should have mandatory winter lessons...

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What's the deal with the bread and milk rage during a "storm" I've never understood it. Can food, rice and water is what I have in stock for snow days if needed.
View Quote

I am a person that is way prepared but I don't stock pile fresh bread, fresh eggs and fresh milk.  I have dehydrated eggs, enough for 4 months

at 2 servings per day for the wife and I. I do have powered milk.  I they were calling for 2-3' of snow where I live and I have done that before

I would grab an extra loaf of bread, half gallon of milk and eggs right now.  I would get beer first but that is just me.

8nBAIT

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, from listening to the news in Texas, you would think that NY, and Washington DC are going to fall off the map tonight.............

If we could only get so lucky

Sorry, edit to add, that wasn't directed at my SF brothers in harms way out there, just the politicians

Doc

View Quote

Must admit to being part of this crowd.  We go through the perishable stuff quite rapidly, so we do make the typical milk, bread, and egg run right before anything hits.  Pretty well stocked for long term if it happens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Its about 10:30 AM right now and I'm in my office in NYC...no mass hysteria, looting or any mayhem quite yet unfortunately.
Then again I'm on the upper eastside in a more residential area. Here's what it looks like from my office window now...

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So true.

What's the deal with the bread EGGS and milk rage during a "storm" I've never understood it. Can food, rice and water is what I have in stock for snow days if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

What's the deal with the bread EGGS and milk rage during a "storm" I've never understood it. Can food, rice and water is what I have in stock for snow days if needed.

French Toast dude - FRENCH TOAST
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yep, from listening to the news in Texas, you would think that NY, and Washington DC are going to fall off the map tonight.............

If we could only get so lucky

Doc
View Quote

Doc, 30" plus snows will cripple an area. Been there done that. Power outages don't get fixed until roads are dug out.

Stores don't get restocked for a while. Store that re-open are understaffed.   I live 3 miles from a Wal-mart on a main road and when we have gotten 2-3 feet of snow it would

be days before I could get to the store.  Live off of some gravel road?  You might not see a plow for a week.  There are only so many drivers for the plows

and they are only allowed to operate so many hours a day.  Interstates and a couple of main roads here would get all the attention during the storm. Everything else

will have to wait.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

Ahh yes. Good call even though I don't use milk unless I really have to. (Gross and have a slight intolerance to it) I use almond milk mostly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#17]
im in jersey.  calling for 18-20.  im ready.  food, kero, gas, generator, AMMO, bring it bitch

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its about 10:30 AM right now and I'm in my office in NYC...no mass hysteria, looting or any mayhem quite yet unfortunately.
Then again I'm on the upper eastside in a more residential area. Here's what it looks like from my office window now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/largoboy1/20150126_104835_zps17c5d263.jpg
View Quote

I'm in my office in the garment district-39th St. off of 8th Avenue. Just wet sidewalks now, but you can smell the snow coming (as well as other things!)

Leaving the office for home in North Jersey at 1:00. Fireplace is all set up. Generators filled and tested. Fridge is full as well as freezer. Vodka and wine stocks at max.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

snip

Ahh yes. Good call even though I don't use milk unless I really have to. (Gross and have a slight intolerance to it) I use almond milk mostly.
View Quote

Ever since DIABEETUS switching to unsweetened almond milk was one of my dietary changes - I frikken love that stuff now!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm originally from RI.  Legitimate riots have broken out in stores over the last few loaves of bread.

Hell I remember getting snowed in at work with 2.5 feet.  The mayor closed all streets and had cops at all major intersections.

I ended up walking 6 miles back to the dorm just so I wouldn't miss a party.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ever since DIABEETUS switching to unsweetened almond milk was one of my dietary changes - I frikken love that stuff now!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip

Yea . I use the chocolate one on cereal haha.  Haven't tried the unsweetened one yet I'll have to try it, When we make food that takes milk the sweetened ones don't work so well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Did it snow yet?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

I swear we should have a NH/VT/ME French Toast eat and shoot tomorrow.  Who is in?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm in my office in the garment district-39th St. off of 8th Avenue. Just wet sidewalks now, but you can smell the snow coming (as well as other things!)

Leaving the office for home in North Jersey at 1:00. Fireplace is all set up. Generators filled and tested. Fridge is full as well as freezer. Vodka and wine stocks at max.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/largoboy1/20150126_104835_zps17c5d263.jpg

Keep us posted.

Better yet, Dash Cam footage of your " Escape From New York"
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I swear we should have a NH/VT/ME French Toast eat and shoot tomorrow.  Who is in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

SHIT, IM ALL IN FOR THAT!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering the same

I am actually disappointed we aren't getting more upstate...  We need a good foot and then the snowmobile trails will be perfect!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

Haha sound good.  They gave us the day off which is very strange since they never give us a snow day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If 3 feet of snow falls there, we'll get to see some genuine examples of un-prepared people and inept Government.

The problem isn't 3' of snow...

The problem is that you have a massive city covered with 3' of *wet* snow and nowhere to put it all.  You can't wait for it to melt but removing it all even semi-quickly is nearly impossible.  Prepared or not there isn't a whole lot someone that lives in an area that gets 3' of snow can do unless you have a front-end blower for your tractor as there is no way you are going to be able to displace 3' of heavy, wet snow with a blade unless it is on a D60 CAT.

I personally don't wish that kind of hell on anyone as people die in this kind of crap and even if you have 3-5 days of fuel stored up for your generator that won't do you much good if you are in one of the last places that gets the snow removed and you are trapped.

While this is why I don't live in a big city many choose (or not) to live there.  They pay for and should have a reasonable expectation of snow removal by the city, however, 3' of snow is NOT something that I would expect any city to be able to prepare for on a large scale.  My little town (4K people) has a blower attachment for a pay loader that they use to blow the snow into trucks when we have a bunch of snow but you would need hundreds/thousands of trucks and blowers to do that in a place like NYC.  Think of the insane amount of $$ that would have to be spent to prepare for something like that in which the equipment would go unused except maybe once every 10+ years.

I guess I am just saying that there are some things you really cannot prepare for as an individual or even a city as massive as NYC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I just returned from picking up my daughter from gymnastics and there are 2 LARGE gas stations completely sold out of gas (still had diesel).  Lines at the other gas stations look like the gas crisis of 1972.  Wouldn't be surprised if they run out too.

Not usually seen in NH for a winter storm, but I am surprised at how fast these stations were pumped dry.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#30]
DFT - Disaster French Toast. Happens whenever a big storm is hyped, the panic stricken unprepared folks go running for the stores. And the gas stations. Thing is, that whole "just in time" kind of system falls apart pretty quickly because, just like fractional reserve banking, there is an assumption that not everybody will want [DFT, gas, money out of the bank, etc.] ALL AT ONCE. When they do, the system breaks down extraordinarily quickly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Be safe up there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Walked to work 3 miles during the blizzard of 78 for triple time.  Good times.

East coast is totally pussified now.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

All you folks that think NYC can't handle winter don't pay attention. Say what you will about the multitude of stupid floating around the area, when the snow hits the fan in NYC, it's generally a yawnfest. New Yorkers don't give a shit about snow.

A History of New York Snow

A History of New York City Snowstorms (1970 - 2014)

Since 1970 New York has experienced fifteen snowstorms of one-foot or more (more than half of them in the past ten winters).  An additional seven storms have dumped between 10 and 12 inches.  The summary of storms that follows lists not only these big ones but others in the five to ten-inch range, since even these can be debilitating, especially in Manhattan (these smaller storms often produced greater accumulations in the suburbs).  The storms, 56 in total, are arranged by calendar date.  If you'd like to see a list arranged by each winter, double click here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am actually disappointed we aren't getting more upstate...  We need a good foot and then the snowmobile trails will be perfect!
View Quote

listen buddy, we are slated to get 24" and if you want some snow you can come and get it from my property...  

ar-jedi

ps
my wife and i went out at around 4pm to get (wait for it...) a new thermocouple for the hot water heater.  
in the process we went by the local market and it was complete and utter chaos.  no, actually, it wasn't.
i even took a picture of the bread aisle.  what sort of bread is best for french toast?  they had all types.

pps
then, we went home, fixed the water heater, and baked pre-made chocolate chip batter into actual cookies.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#35]
#winterstormweaksauce

We were supposed to get at least 6" to 12" here in the Philly burbs. We got maybe a couple. My snowblower is disappoint.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#36]
another event pretty much created by the weather news media, to boost advertising sales.

There will always be idiots with nothing but a box of cereal in the house when things get exciting.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Meanwhile from Surf's porch:

Plow or make French Toast?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

ARFCOM: both.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Seriously?   Give a guy a chance to deal with 6-8" of light powder on 500 feet of driveway.   And then make French Toast.  Still coming down.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

mother_of_god.jpg

out of

i'll be in my bunk.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Seriously?   Give a guy a chance to deal with 6-8" of light powder on 500 feet of driveway.   And then make French Toast.  Still coming down.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/flytosail3/cb3d43680fb87ac3e50ed90972a0b777_zpsef660e14.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/flytosail3/f66a746ad385ab60e53e40316746934f_zpse1d30b77.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/flytosail3/cb3d43680fb87ac3e50ed90972a0b777_zpsef660e14.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/flytosail3/f66a746ad385ab60e53e40316746934f_zpse1d30b77.jpg

Looks good . Is that Texas toast or homemade bread?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just the media and the libtard hipster punks are pussifide. It's just another snowy day for the real north eastern folks
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just the media and the libtard hipster punks are pussifide. It's just another snowy day for the real north eastern folks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are you posting on sailinganarchy?  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

listen buddy, we are slated to get 24" and if you want some snow you can come and get it from my property...  

ar-jedi

ps
my wife and i went out at around 4pm to get (wait for it...) a new thermocouple for the hot water heater.  
in the process we went by the local market and it was complete and utter chaos.  no, actually, it wasn't.
i even took a picture of the bread aisle.  what sort of bread is best for french toast?  they had all types.

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/snowed/panic.JPG

pps
then, we went home, fixed the water heater, and baked pre-made chocolate chip batter into actual cookies.  

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58141-2/IMG_4128.JPG

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58144-2/IMG_4129.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/snowed/mitigation.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/snowed/results.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

ps

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/snowed/panic.JPG

pps

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58141-2/IMG_4128.JPG

http://wopr.losdos.dyndns.org/gallery2/d/58144-2/IMG_4129.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/snowed/mitigation.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/snowed/results.JPG

Only need some French toast and your good to go!

Starting to snow a bit in my AO... Just in time for my commute to work!

So far only a dusting but its starting to come down a bit more.  We could get over a foot and it wouldn't really cause much impact in my AO... Glad I am not a city dweller.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Not fair!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#46]
ar-jedi, I'm genuinely surprised you don't have a spare thermocouple at home...

I've been at work since Sunday afternoon, held for storm. FD in NYC.
Storm had much less effect than predicted.
And while some may complain that the city overreacted with subway and street closures, it's made life much easier. Many many less cars broken down on roadways. A lot fewer car accident responses. Typically, with this much accumulation, we have to clear between 15-20 cars stuck blocking our response path and dig out 4-5 ambulances from snow banks. This time zero and zero.
Alarm rate during and post storm usually 150-200/hr, today is 90/hr.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Those liberals up in Nantucket are getting hammered with tropical force winds and high tides.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Mayor Thanks Sharpton for Climate Change Work, During Blizzard Report

Sharpton

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

what, you AND my wife?  

"don't we have one of those on a shelf?  why not?  how could you let this happen?"

Quoted:
I've been at work since Sunday afternoon, held for storm. FD in NYC.
Storm had much less effect than predicted.
And while some may complain that the city overreacted with subway and street closures, it's made life much easier. Many many less cars broken down on roadways. A lot fewer car accident responses. Typically, with this much accumulation, we have to clear between 15-20 cars stuck blocking our response path and dig out 4-5 ambulances from snow banks. This time zero and zero.  Alarm rate during and post storm usually 150-200/hr, today is 90/hr.

all good news.

some GD morans are complaining that the government is/was infringing on their freedom.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Another plow and snowblow session.  Up to about 12 or so total.

As for breakfast:   Forgot to mention that a friend of ours in Canaan, NH make syrup.   No Aunt Jeromy in this house.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top