Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh I can haz pg 5

From a moo moo wearing preper poser.  I'm on the webz.  I gots a can of food.  How light am I?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oh I can haz pg 5

From a moo moo wearing preper poser.  I'm on the webz.  I gots a can of food.  How light am I?

where does one aquire a camo moo moo?...
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh I can haz pg 5

where does one aquire a camo moo moo?...

It is home sewn man––oh wait now i be a survivalist 'caus I didn't but it pre-made.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
hey everybody, how many pumpkin pies does it take to be a survivalist?

I know some of you have to  know the answer.

ETA
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I know some of you have to know the answer.

ETA

canned or freeze dried....

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly I don't really think we need a title or word for having extra food in the house, keeping a nice first aid kit handy, and keeping a decent stock of arms and ammo around... I personally call it common sense. Same goes for using all of the above. How is it your a "survivalist" if you can hunt, clean, and process your game? That makes you field savvy. and useful. Thats it. Nothing amazing. Being able to find your food, fix your (some of them anyway) wounds, and live without the nearest WallyWorld is common sensle only, nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the difference is that a survivalist will and has eaten a rodent, either for practice, out of need, or just because they like the taste of it,
and a prepper (myself included) is trying to avoid that possible.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally I like the term survivalist for myself - but also use prepper interchangeably.

The only reason I prefer survivalist  is it underscores the seriousness of the mess we are in with the world we have created and what is needed to 'just' survive. But the term prepper also reminds me to prepare for uncomfortable times

Survival is also about comfort...we try to be as comfortable as possible in uncomfortable circumstances. And if  we get too uncomfortable...we die!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prepper

Two of the earliest 'godfathers' of the modern day survivalist movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Saxon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Tappan

There is some debate as to who of these two men actually holds the title of 'godfather'.

Well, Mr. Saxon seems to be still with us. Mr. Tappan died of congestive heart failure in his forties. (Was it an inherited disease or lifestyle related? Don't know) But the facts show Mr. Saxon was the ultimate survivor between the two men.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#9]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']

Now go explain to the average backwoods homesteader....and they would ask you which methods you are using to do whatever....most would look at it as common place....and think you an idiot if you didn't have some supplies set back.

]

The old timers were all survivalists...naturally as part of their makeup. Or they would not have lasted long.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Many posts have said this––it is semantics.

if it was that simple i would have never made this thread LOL.

Im holding my real rant back. only becuase i know it would be counter productive.

Maybe i really should go post this on a  so called " prepper" only forum just so i can drive my point home with thier replies....

I agree with about 98% of what everyone here has posted..again im in this for answers......or else i woulda just posted that PA is just a moo moo wearing poser

Seems like you have the answer? You know what is wrong ...so you must know the right to know the wrong? What is the answer?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many posts have said this––it is semantics.

if it was that simple i would have never made this thread LOL.

Im holding my real rant back. only becuase i know it would be counter productive.

Maybe i really should go post this on a so called " prepper" only forum just so i can drive my point home with thier replies....

I agree with about 98% of what everyone here has posted..again im in this for answers......or else i woulda just posted that PA is just a moo moo wearing poser

Seems like you have the answer? You know what is wrong ...so you must know the right to know the wrong? What is the answer?

i know that untill i stop hearing "preppers" say

" were normal and survivalist are camo wearing whack jobs wishing for the end of the world.."

i'll keep complaining about it

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know some of you have to know the answer.

ETA

canned or freeze dried....

grrr my archive search foo fails––can't find the thread
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Protus, yer a Boyscout, admit it.

Boyscout motto: Be prepared.

Anything else is redundant.

only made it to life.....then quite to play foot ball and back pack on my weekends

and yes,,,bsa is what got me playing "survivor man"  in the 80's
Which brings up a very rhetorical point....

Back in 'the day,' it was considered not only acceptable, but very SMART to "Be Prepared" for emergencies and to have 'survival' skills.  Generations have passed, people have become too used to having everything at their fingeritps with very, very few interruptions, and now they look at these same 'prepared survivalists' as extremists.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

only made it to life.....then quite to play foot ball and back pack on my weekends
and yes,,,bsa is what got me playing "survivor man"  in the 80's

Back in 'the day,' it was considered not only acceptable, but very SMART to "Be Prepared" for emergencies and to have 'survival' skills.  Generations have passed, people have become too used to having everything at their fingeritps with very, very few interruptions, and now they look at these same 'prepared survivalists' as extremists.

This is very true. It's also important to note that while my grandfather may not have had 10 years of candles/food/etc set aside, he knew how to hunt, grow food, and make candles. That's what the current crop of people don't have. The know how.

You know most kids today don't know how to grow food, have never been camping, etc?

My younger brother didn't even understand the basic principles of how a battery works when I was showing him some basic solar stuff. It was like magic to him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and yes,,,bsa is what got me playing "survivor man" in the 80's

Back in 'the day,' it was considered not only acceptable, but very SMART to "Be Prepared" for emergencies and to have 'survival' skills. Generations have passed, people have become too used to having everything at their fingeritps with very, very few interruptions, and now they look at these same 'prepared survivalists' as extremists.

This is very true. It's also important to note that while my grandfather may not have had 10 years of candles/food/etc set aside, he knew how to hunt, grow food, and make candles. That's what the current crop of people don't have. The know how.

You know most kids today don't know how to grow food, have never been camping, etc?

My younger brother didn't even understand the basic principles of how a battery works when I was showing him some basic solar stuff. It was like magic to him.

ive done the same showing folks how to clean fish/game.

Let alone cooking on open flame. It was like i held some special power over the fire

in my view heat is heat, bed of coal or oven.....doesnt matter to me. Then again, i wasnt raised to just plop somehting in the microwave and press  the on button..

could be one issue as well. Like why use/learn  a bow drill when we have matches, fire steel,lighters etc?

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:38:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I agree with a lot of what is said here. I'm somewhere in between. The one thing I disagree about, is someone's attempts to survive while maintaining a iota of "the life before" (ie. Solar Chargers for Ipod, Solar Power to watch TV, etc) somehow makes someone silly. In my opinion, if you prepare enough for interim and are able to keep the power on to watch your DVDs and play on your computer when the power has been out for 6 months, GOOD FOR YOU! I know I'm working to get to that stage.

I guess maybe I misinterpreted your post, but there's nothing wrong with surviving in comfort. For instance, I have a solar panel dedicated to charging small electronics, because I keep a literal library of survival PDFs on it. Much more than I could ever print out realistically. I've learned how to farm (well am learning to) and the ability to call upon a document should I ever NEED it is pretty important to me. Maybe not vital, but I'd like the ability to do so. I've also put a lot into a solar setup (and have used it twice. I'm able to power a small window AC, my fridge, computer.)

I dont think people should  sleep under a slef made shelter when the power is out for 3 days or eat grubs.

The issue like you pointed out is the attempts to think that they can maintain that level of comfort for the duration of a longer term event.

For example. As i have seen this else where.
" what deep freeze for shtf"
At 1st i was going wtf? a deep freeze. But then due to my own "shtf" as some would call or "survival situtation"..i wish i had power and deep freeze back in 04'.  I did not. So i had to adpat. My planning on how to deal with power loss after that changed.
For me it was cheaper and easier to revert back into "camping" mode.
I dont look down on those that chose to live with their comforts during shortterm failures. It would be stupid to not prep for them. The issue is when you see a thread or a group of people being led into that way of planning becuase of its ease.
"Oh i'll go get two deep cells, a small harbor freight genny, a charge controller, harbor frieght solar kit and an invertor becuase now i have power for my fan, my mini DVD player and my deep freeze ,becuase i store alot of my shtf food in there...."
Now. In my mind i go HMMMMMmm. Few 100$ into a tempary  power solutions vs a few 100$ into food that would not need those resources.
Are you following me ?
Well imagine steeping into a thread like that and making that example, about why frozen TV dinners, steak and hot wings arent the best foods to supply for an event due to how much resources it takes to keep them fresh vs shelf stable foods that dont?!
I have and the backlash was crazy. Not just for bucking the idea but becuase they cant afford all those buckets of grains or #10 cans..they already have the deep freeze after all...is common type of retort to it.( but they can afford all the stuff to run it...)

TJ said long ago that surviving in comfort wins every time. I agree...but it seems, just like the TVshow colony many new folks cling to and spend to many resources trying to keep the comforts before getting some basics set aside. Like putting the horse before the carrige. Lets have temporary power...but no food......

imho if your learning like what you talking about, in the long term you wont need those PDF's and good for you on self teaching... IMHO way to many people are using such things as a cructh ( even if printed out) for a substitue for doing.
" oh damn henry cut his leg,.,,shit get the red binder....ok ,,,ok..page 56..shit,,goto page 87...damn henery stay with me man,,,,,,fucking pages are stickingtogether from all this blood.....henry why are you so pale....."While I agree with you it is only to a point.  None of us can know/teach ourselves/think of everything.  THis is where say an 80g ipod with pdf files might be useful.  Not for the stuff you need to know RIGHT NOW, but for the stuff you might have a need for eventually or rarely that you have not yet learned.  Like making a butter churn or shakes/shingles ala foxfire.  I don't see that as worth practicing now, but some day it might be handy to have a guide on how to do it as opposed to taking a SWAG approach.

that aint the time to be trying to look things up
I have met folks that could talk your head off about any shtf subject. sure they have the binders, the usb drives, external hard drives and back ups to those... and they have read everyone last one.....but the have never tried or done what they have archived!

I actaully like the idea of usb's for shortterm file docs for importnat papers etc for a grab go emergencys. not for long term events. I laugh when i see a few usb's in a BOB..but wheres the resources to get that info....espeically when the BOB is set up for wilderness use .

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#17]

While I agree with you it is only to a point. None of us can know/teach ourselves/think of everything. THis is where say an 80g ipod with pdf files might be useful. Not for the stuff you need to know RIGHT NOW, but for the stuff you might have a need for eventually or rarely that you have not yet learned. Like making a butter churn or shakes/shingles ala foxfire. I don't see that as worth practicing now, but some day it might be handy to have a guide on how to do it as opposed to taking a SWAG approach.

again maybe this  could be a defining difference for some, which causes them to say which "label" they take. Me, for example. I would rather know how to make bread from wheat now,then try later. Or know how to make butter now vs later. I myself read up on subjects and study them. Some i have tried out and others  i have not.  Im a pretty KISS type person. I see the Ipod as a weak link. I see the binder as a better option, i see knowing the skillset the best.

You see my point i hope. Of course it is a shit ton easier to touch the pad and have the info there instantly, and faster but knowing it may save time, resources and energy( the bleeding out person was an extreme example). We cant learn everything and to say to you or others that i dont have papers,books,mauals on how to do certain things i would be lying. However i dont use those matrials as a reason to not "try" something.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
While I agree with you it is only to a point. None of us can know/teach ourselves/think of everything. THis is where say an 80g ipod with pdf files might be useful. Not for the stuff you need to know RIGHT NOW, but for the stuff you might have a need for eventually or rarely that you have not yet learned. Like making a butter churn or shakes/shingles ala foxfire. I don't see that as worth practicing now, but some day it might be handy to have a guide on how to do it as opposed to taking a SWAG approach.

again maybe this  could be a defining difference for some, which causes them to say which "label" they take. Me, for example. I would rather know how to make bread from wheat now,then try later. Or know how to make butter now vs later. I myself read up on subjects and study them. Some i have tried out and others  i have not.  Im a pretty KISS type person. I see the Ipod as a weak link. I see the binder as a better option, i see knowing the skillset the best.
You see my point i hope. Of course it is a shit ton easier to touch the pad and have the info there instantly, and faster but knowing it may save time, resources and energy( the bleeding out person was an extreme example). We cant learn everything and to say to you or others that i dont have papers,books,mauals on how to do certain things i would be lying. However i dont use those matrials as a reason to not "try" something.

You're a smarter man than I, if you can learn all the stuff without needing a reference. I don't see an IPod as a weak link, anymore than I see any tool as a weak link. If you have it, and can keep it functioning, it's valuable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

again maybe this could be a defining difference for some, which causes them to say which "label" they take. Me, for example. I would rather know how to make bread from wheat now,then try later. Or know how to make butter now vs later. I myself read up on subjects and study them. Some i have tried out and others i have not. Im a pretty KISS type person. I see the Ipod as a weak link. I see the binder as a better option, i see knowing the skillset the best.

You're a smarter man than I, if you can learn all the stuff without needing a reference. I don't see an IPod as a weak link, anymore than I see any tool as a weak link. If you have it, and can keep it functioning, it's valuable.
i agree with you. and no i cant remember everything...i try though LOL

see my bold..

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:19:53 AM EDT
[#20]
The emergency stuff...I like to have on quick reference rings....but I feel a good old fashion book library is invaluable....reading about best planting times and livestock breeding.....and things of the like .....I think is better in print.

However.....I do have 2 16gig thumb drives...full of manuals and thing of the like.....but I never stop adding to my library.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#21]
This thread reminds me of threads about people that do IDPA and consider themselves "well-trained".  Everyone gets a major butt-owiee, but it sure brings up some seriously good points about both sides.

Thanks for posting, Protus, you Multi-Cam wearing survivalist freak!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This thread reminds me of threads about people that do IDPA and consider themselves "well-trained". Everyone gets a major butt-owiee, but it sure brings up some seriously good points about both sides.

Thanks for posting, Protus, you Multi-Cam wearing survivalist freak!

naw im old school man...OD and marpat multicam is for preppers
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#23]

One group has bought an ar15 and a few cases of ammo and considers themselves ready for whatever comes down the road.  

The other group has taken their ar15 and several cases of ammo to classes and learned what parts need replacement now and then and how their specific rifle can fail and what needs to be done to get it back up and running.  They stock the tools and parts to keep their stuff running and know from experience what can happen but they also know that other stuff can fail and are ready to deal with that if they need to deal with that.

There are some folks in between who may have taken their ar15 and a few rounds of ammo to the range to site it in.  They may have gone out with some folks and learned a few things and they may stock some springs or stuff for their rifle.  

You can't be ready for everything by just possessing stuff and putting it on your shelf and marking that item off your list.

I am between both groups in some areas.  And I sure the heck don't pick on others for deciding they wish to travel one road instead of another road.

But when bad times come it will not take long to seperate the two groups.

And I don't care what name someone labels themselves with.

The simple reality is that one knows what he can do and another one simply thinks he knows what he can do.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#24]
The grief doesn't come with the names, it comes with those identifying with either disparaging those of the other.  Protus' original bitch is that preppers somehow disparage and look down on survivalists. But I'm seeing a lot of survivalists disparaging preppers, so it's a two way street.  

I remember a story about a British general speaking of the Irish during their conquest of that island.  "If the Irish would stop killing one another for a day, we'd be treading water by tea time."

It's bad enough that we have the media and the sheeple to contend with, we should probably stop badmouthing each other.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One group has bought an ar15 and a few cases of ammo and considers themselves ready for whatever comes down the road.  

The other group has taken their ar15 and several cases of ammo to classes and learned what parts need replacement now and then and how their specific rifle can fail and what needs to be done to get it back up and running.  They stock the tools and parts to keep their stuff running and know from experience what can happen but they also know that other stuff can fail and are ready to deal with that if they need to deal with that.

There are some folks in between who may have taken their ar15 and a few rounds of ammo to the range to site it in.  They may have gone out with some folks and learned a few things and they may stock some springs or stuff for their rifle.  

You can't be ready for everything by just possessing stuff and putting it on your shelf and marking that item off your list.

I am between both groups in some areas.  And I sure the heck don't pick on others for deciding they wish to travel one road instead of another road.

But when bad times come it will not take long to seperate the two groups.

And I don't care what name someone labels themselves with.

The simple reality is that one knows what he can do and another one simply thinks he knows what he can do.

Biere,  I agree with you,   that last line is a "classic".   So is the line about just possessing stuff.   Wise words.

There is no replacement for actually doing something.  Whether it be starting a fire with a bow drill,  
or providing first aid for someone who has been injured.

I don't see this thread as commentary on any individuals,  or criticism of anyone,  just a moment of reflection.

I have taken this all as a discussion of the entire universe of preppers/ survival types,
right down to the people who went out and bought duct tape and plastic after 9-11 because the feds told them to and can't find it now.

I do think "preparedness" has come into vogue lately.
It's more accepted to store some water and food for an emergency than it was 15 years ago.

Some take it farther than others.

I'd suspect some sheeple got that flashlight and the extra batteries,  but may not want to think much farther,
like about "bad things",  so they are just happy knowing they have their flashlight and case of water.
By contrast, the folks on this particular forum tend to delve neck-deep into the grim possibilities,
but each individual determines how far they will take it,  or just how bad they think,  bad can possibly get.

Some folks plan/prep for the 1 or 2 most likely scenarios,  some for 5 or 6,  and others are working a list of 20 or more scenarios.
they may have the first 10 covered pretty well,  but they still have a ways to go on #11 thru 20.
And I would suspect,  if and when they get prepped for scenario #20,  they will have added scenarios #21 through 30.
Not a knock,  just an observation.

Some live it as a full 24x7 lifestyle,  others treat it as a useful-hobby they can turn on and off in between their regular day-to-day living.

There will always be another  "What's the best survival rifle"  thread,
because someone comes along who has just gotten to that phase in their thought process,
the realization they have to protect themselves and their "stuff".   It's like "the awakening".  

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Feral got it right, I think the rest are still missing a big part of the equation.

Man, I wish life wasn't so busy right now, I've a post I want to make on exactly this topic I haven't had time to right up.

Terms don't really matter.  What you're talking about is mindset, and in most cases, the mindset of both preppers and survivalists are still missing it.

I'm trying to live sustainably.  I want my life prior and post disaster to be largely unchanged.  That means I have had to make some serious changes NOW in order for that to happen, and more changes need to still be made.  

A lot of the posts on this board and others contain things like "but I live in a city" or "I don't have the room", etc....  Basically excuses as to why they have to compromise on certain elements for survival.  I moved my family to an area outside the city, but with enough local resources to not be completely isolated.  We are on a well.  We are getting solar.  We're going to raise chickens, rabbits, and probably goats, and have several large gardens and maybe some aquaculture.  My area has year round growing cycles and is not prone to any natural disasters.  

It means some sacrifices for now, it means a different lifestyle compared to most of my peers, but I don't plan on going hungry regardless of what happens.  I don't plan on eating out of cans for months at a time either.  Oh, I'll have canned goods but I plan on eating fresh meat and vegetables every day.

Basically I plan on being a homesteader.  A modern era version of Little House on the Prairie.  Times have changed of course and it isn't an easy road but I think it's the right way to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#27]

I want my life prior and post disaster to be largely unchanged. That means I have had to make some serious changes NOW in order for that to happen, and more changes need to still be made.

A lot of the posts on this board and others contain things like "but I live in a city" or "I don't have the room", etc.... Basically excuses as to why they have to compromise on certain elements for survival.

well said. I agree 100%.

I personally think the big difference in the two , is those willing to make lifestyle changes. Not just "mindset" changes.

I used to argue with folks long ago that it was a lifestyle deal and not just mindset. Only to be met with your second sentence in bold. Yeah mindset will get you past the 30 seconds of "oh fuck.." and 5 days in the woods....but not 1-5 years down the road.

Mindset doesn't get you debt free, or move you to an AO that you can become more self reliant and less dependant on others for your needs. Of course someone will say you have to have mindset to accomplish those goals. Yeah, you do, it is the same mindset that makes you put 3 cans of beans up. It is only the 1st step in an  overall  lifestyle change. That lifestyle change could be losing 20 lbs, getting in better shape, staying more alert in public areas, not noticing that you look for exits in a room, thinking of more than one way to use something and being more open minded.

I dont think it is something that can be turned on and off. The issue is when folks never get past that 1st change in mindset phase and fail to move on to "lifestyle" changes to be better prepared. I for one feel that is an issue with many that claim to be a prepper. They change their mindset from sheep, to "lets be prepared" , they get some preps but never progress becoming stagnant. These types are the ones that buck the lifestyle change all the way and make the excuses.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Feral got it right, I think the rest are still missing a big part of the equation.

Man, I wish life wasn't so busy right now, I've a post I want to make on exactly this topic I haven't had time to right up.

Terms don't really matter.  What you're talking about is mindset, and in most cases, the mindset of both preppers and survivalists are still missing it.

I'm trying to live sustainably.  I want my life prior and post disaster to be largely unchanged.  That means I have had to make some serious changes NOW in order for that to happen, and more changes need to still be made.  

A lot of the posts on this board and others contain things like "but I live in a city" or "I don't have the room", etc....  Basically excuses as to why they have to compromise on certain elements for survival.  I moved my family to an area outside the city, but with enough local resources to not be completely isolated.  We are on a well.  We are getting solar.  We're going to raise chickens, rabbits, and probably goats, and have several large gardens and maybe some aquaculture.  My area has year round growing cycles and is not prone to any natural disasters.  

It means some sacrifices for now, it means a different lifestyle compared to most of my peers, but I don't plan on going hungry regardless of what happens.  I don't plan on eating out of cans for months at a time either.  Oh, I'll have canned goods but I plan on eating fresh meat and vegetables every day.

Basically I plan on being a homesteader.  A modern era version of Little House on the Prairie.  Times have changed of course and it isn't an easy road but I think it's the right way to go.

I think so many that call themselves "Preppers" are not far past the "hurricane mindset." That being the thought that they only need a week or so of supplies to include frivolous things like ICE and that will be enough to get them through.

What your talking about Yaish is what for years people considered the pinnacle of the survivalist game. A prepared place in a safe area where you have food stocked and means to produce more, alternate power, etc. and most importantly a means to defend it.

It's a worthy goal, but it usually takes years to accomplish unless your made of cash and can "buy" your way into it quick. Even that route isn't the best cause paying others to do everything for you will leave you with nice stuff that you don't know how to operate, that you don't know how to repair, etc.

Preparedness is a journey, not a quick destination.

Lowdown3
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Most definitely a journey, and a long hard, expensive journey to boot.  I'm by no means made of money, so it means scrimping, saving, and improvising to get where I want to be.

I've got some family help, but were doing most of it on our own. Ill be putting away food at first, doings the 'prepper' thing until I can get the rest astablished. I'm figuring on the end of the year at least for chickens, getting the garden in before spring, and next summer to increase the flock and put in rabbits.  Solar is up in the air but definitely before next summer. A lot will depend on the installation company and their timeline.  We've got the and RO water now, but I want at least two totes stored as well.  We are also going to reroute our grey water lines to the garden and landscape.

We are considering homeschooling in a few years when the kids are old enough, and we definitely need to get a community of like minded people around us. I'm working on that but its not going well so far. We have some family nearby on board but that's about it, and they are getting older.  I've got to test out the neighbors and see how they're set HP, we just had two new ones move in.  They are horse people for sure, not sure about anything else about them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would classify a prepper as a "normal" person who realizes there is risk, evaluates the risk (fire, economy, crime, tornatdo, etc), and prepares accordingly (within their means).  This may be a branching out from/or into other hobbies such as shooting, gardening, etc.  The prepper is community minded and self-reliant at the same time.  

In contrast, the survivalist is fixated on the least likely events (nuclear war, invasion, etc.).  They don't live a normal life, because every decision is based around survival.  They strive to be self-sufficient without ever realizing it is not humanly possible (that is why we have communities to begin with).  I would venture to say these are more likely to buy stuff they never use and may never even learn how to use.

If we must differentiate between the two terms, this is the best answer of the whole thread. In a nutshell, I suppose it boils down to one's level of paranoia.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would classify a prepper as a "normal" person who realizes there is risk, evaluates the risk (fire, economy, crime, tornatdo, etc), and prepares accordingly (within their means). This may be a branching out from/or into other hobbies such as shooting, gardening, etc. The prepper is community minded and self-reliant at the same time.

In contrast, the survivalist is fixated on the least likely events (nuclear war, invasion, etc.). They don't live a normal life, because every decision is based around survival. They strive to be self-sufficient without ever realizing it is not humanly possible (that is why we have communities to begin with). I would venture to say these are more likely to buy stuff they never use and may never even learn how to use.

If we must differentiate between the two terms, this is the best answer of the whole thread. In a nutshell, I suppose it boils down to one's level of paranoia.

like being a ranger vs a 42r mos?  right?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I think as far as the terms go it's really a mtter of how long adn how seriously you have been doing it. Most of us start out as limited "prepers" and buld from there. Just like most go through the I'm gonna live off the land phase. The longer you are actually serious about this, the more you see the need for better and more preps/training/practice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Really does it matter? If someone has a couple of weeks worth of food and a way to heat their home and keep themselves in water, they're better off that 95% of the country and they're not going to be a burden for most situations. If someone wants to take things a bit further and make sure they have a gun and a few months of food, they're probably covered for just about anything that is likely to happen in our lifetimes. Beyond that, everything is bonus, but it also becomes a lifestyle..some people aren't willing to do that. it's playing the odds.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you really want to assign labels , then there are probably thirty levels between the 72hr prep kit couple and
the hardcore underground shelter off grid tamiflu stocking camo clad weapons specialists .
Although the basic mindset between the extremes is actually quite similar . It's recognizing that there could
be circumstances where you will need to fend for yourself with no outside assistance . The difference between
the levels being the severity and duration of the event you prepare for

This, above.

If wide area electricity/order can not be restored in 6 months or whatever, we have bigger problems beyond what a 5 year food supply/prep stash can address.  Folks devoting a large percentage of personal resources preparing for an extremely unlikely event are often labeled "survivalists."

I find it more practical to spend time cultivating relationships and/or learning more about personal finance/health than on learning how to make bread or butter from scratch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you really want to assign labels , then there are probably thirty levels between the 72hr prep kit couple and

the hardcore underground shelter off grid tamiflu stocking camo clad weapons specialists .

Although the basic mindset between the extremes is actually quite similar . It's recognizing that there could

be circumstances where you will need to fend for yourself with no outside assistance . The difference between

the levels being the severity and duration of the event you prepare for

This, above.

If wide area electricity/order can not be restored in 6 months or whatever, we have bigger problems beyond what a 5 year food supply/prep stash can address. Folks devoting a large percentage of personal resources preparing for an extremely unlikely event are often labeled "survivalists."

I find it more practical to spend time cultivating relationships and/or learning more about personal finance/health than on learning how to make bread or butter from scratch.

I'll be debt free way before i have a BOL or a fancy BOV....or a kifau backpack( in multicam of course), i can also make bread,butter, nope haven't tried it,ive lost 45lbs yet still only have a close circle of friends/family.

again i dont feel its is just a label nor one based on amount of preps/time one has put into preparedness,but of a separate mindset that some have.

" Ahh...collapse will never happen the .Gov wont let it....who needs a gun and that many cans of food anyway...i just bought a solar powered battery back up so i can play fall out 3 on my ps3......"
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:22:03 AM EDT
[#36]
We all base what we do on what we think the greatest risks. I think the greatest risks are not a big SHTF event but a slow, steep erosion in our standard of living. I like eating well and being warm and comfy, so I plan the way I live my life around making sure that happens. I would be surprised if we went long periods of time without electricity, although its possible, but I could see situations where it was difficult to pay for. I keep some food stored, I have a generator for storms mostly because I got a screaming deal on it. But I consider both of those short term solutions to problems that have high probability but low risk of death. On the other hand, I can make butter, I can make cheese, I have planted fruit and nut trees as well as perrennial vegetables. I raise some critters and have plans and supplies for more as I find the opportunity (rabbits, mostly, although I could raise goats if I had the time at home.) I can hunt and shoot and have the supplies adn abilities I need to do that..Eventually, I'll learn more about trapping. I can sew and knit and crochet, although I want to learn to spin as well. I can provide basic medical care to myself and others, if necessary. Beyond the idea that this lifestyle (that I'm developing..I'm not there) keeps me safe in a variety of situations, I truly enjoy it and I believe I'm healthier for it.

Other people think the biggest risk is hurricanes or a catastrophy on the level of Katrina and prepare accordingly. I'm good with that. I'm not going to slam them for it. If they're self-supporting during limited disasters, that's good for all of us.

If other people want to prepare to survive a meteor hit, including underground bunker with the ability to grow food hydroponically, cool. Not a risk I'm prepared for or think is feasible, but it has no effect on my life and the odds are they're also prepared for the more likely activities, so again, they're not a burden on me and I'm good with them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:51:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

We all base what we do on what we think the greatest risks. I think the greatest risks are not a big SHTF event but a slow, steep erosion in our standard of living. I like eating well and being warm and comfy, so I plan the way I live my life around making sure that happens. I would be surprised if we went long periods of time without electricity, although its possible, but I could see situations where it was difficult to pay for. I keep some food stored, I have a generator for storms mostly because I got a screaming deal on it. But I consider both of those short term solutions to problems that have high probability but low risk of death. On the other hand, I can make butter, I can make cheese, I have planted fruit and nut trees as well as perrennial vegetables. I raise some critters and have plans and supplies for more as I find the opportunity (rabbits, mostly, although I could raise goats if I had the time at home.) I can hunt and shoot and have the supplies adn abilities I need to do that..Eventually, I'll learn more about trapping. I can sew and knit and crochet, although I want to learn to spin as well. I can provide basic medical care to myself and others, if necessary. Beyond the idea that this lifestyle (that I'm developing..I'm not there) keeps me safe in a variety of situations, I truly enjoy it and I believe I'm healthier for it.

Other people think the biggest risk is hurricanes or a catastrophy on the level of Katrina and prepare accordingly. I'm good with that. I'm not going to slam them for it. If they're self-supporting during limited disasters, that's good for all of us.

If other people want to prepare to survive a meteor hit, including underground bunker with the ability to grow food hydroponically, cool. Not a risk I'm prepared for or think is feasible, but it has no effect on my life and the odds are they're also prepared for the more likely activities, so again, they're not a burden on me and I'm good with them.

i do agree with you trust me.

again , maybe im jaded by dealing with the worse case losers on several small forums..maybe im getting cranky  as i get older. who knows. LOL

I dont look down on anyone that prepares. Like you i see them as one step ahead in the game.If i did i wouldnt try to help as many new people as i do.

I just see something more to it than a label when i hear/read people who fit into the "hurricane" phase bash those who, l ike you have progressed past that and have turned it into a lifestyle or life changing activity. I see it as if your serious you do, becuase you want to be as well rounded as you can BEFORE any event happens!

I'm not out to further any division with all of this, but to honestly find out why those that are like that feel the need to continue with those comments. I figure this forum , due to it size, and diveristy would/could provide that.  It has greatly, but due to the low amount of "BS" factor that goes on here ,we seem to be lacking the exact kind of posters..i mean preppers that have led me and others to feel there is a rift....a disturbance in the force

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I would classify a prepper as a "normal" person who realizes there is risk, evaluates the risk (fire, economy, crime, tornatdo, etc), and prepares accordingly (within their means). This may be a branching out from/or into other hobbies such as shooting, gardening, etc. The prepper is community minded and self-reliant at the same time.

In contrast, the survivalist is fixated on the least likely events (nuclear war, invasion, etc.). They don't live a normal life, because every decision is based around survival. They strive to be self-sufficient without ever realizing it is not humanly possible (that is why we have communities to begin with). I would venture to say these are more likely to buy stuff they never use and may never even learn how to use.

like being a ranger vs a 42r mos?  right?

It's probably easier to get a Ranger tab than be accepted into the Army Band.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
...maybe im jaded by dealing with the worse case losers on several small forums..

I don't think that there is any "maybe" about it.

Also, if some slight ridicule causes someone this much offense, I would be suspect about how they would respond to a true crisis situation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...maybe im jaded by dealing with the worse case losers on several small forums..

I don't think that there is any "maybe" about it.

Also, if some slight ridicule causes someone this much offense, I would be suspect about how they would respond to a true crisis situation.

it isnt an "offense" issue.  Ive got tougher skin than that to let what some pogues from the web say get me riled up. im just curious as to why those that chose a certian term act the way they do when it comes to others who chose not to accept "their" new label.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
As i said earlier, the newbs are busy yelling "I'm not Bert G."

I know survivalists that cannot hike due to their health.  I have very little interest in camping out of a backpack.  Some folks might call me a poser––wutevr.  My 4x4 has IFS.  Call me a poser––wutevr.  There is a whole generation of folks that have been taught that survivalists are teh debil.  So they can only resolve that teaching with the need to keep some things to deal with common emergencies by not being survivalists.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I participated in on a Peak Oil forum. A member there said he did not have tons of ammo stockpiled - maybe a thousand rounds. He then bragged how that amount would allow him to 'get more,' implying he would get the supplies by force or killing.

If society would decomposes to that threat level where as soon as one steps outside one would be shot, robbed, raped or even cannibalized. The burning question in one's mind would be - is such a world even worth living in?

In Richard Heinberg's book 'Power-Down' he contrasts the survivalist mentality with that of the preservationist.

The wiki on this topic:

"A survivalist is a person who anticipates and prepares for a future disruption in local, regional or worldwide social or political order."

"Preservationism...as a term distinguishing between survivalist groups who wish merely to survive a collapse of civilization, and communities who wish to preserve as much of human culture as is possible in the event of collapse."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preservationist

Mr. Heinberg talked about a gene bank founded by Nikolai Vavilov in Russia and the dedicated preservationists that guarded the seed and gene pool. He went on to say how 9 of the scientists and workers starved to death that winter because they refused to eat the seeds and tubers in the gene bank.

Now, I don't know if a few seeds or tubers would have made much difference in their surviving. But I can say a survivalist would have eaten the first one to die. While their efforts were most admirable, we can say their life was not an enviable one for us to emulate. And in the end they failed miserably at self preservation and survival.

Mr. Heinberg brings up a good point though, balancing the two areas of survival with preservation. For we may well survive, but if we do not preserve a semblance of a somewhat livable world to survive in, we may not wish to survive in what remains.

There is a famous saying: "First you get rich...then you get holy."

This applies especially to our topic at hand. Our first instinct is to survive. The foundation of our survivalist attitude is grounded in mental preparedness, knowing we have the tools and skill to survive. Then, once we have a semblance of peace, knowing we can survive with our skill level and necessities of survival, we can work on community and preservation.

This is how it has always been with a drowning man...we save ourselves first and others second. And if we balk at natures way...both men drown. It is part of natural law as well and is imbedded in our instinct.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#43]

A survivialist is the PhD of the apocalypse.

The prepper is more like someone with a bachelor's.

Survivalists can maximize preps and even go without them. A prepper needs their preps and the more they lose or use up the worse off they become.

As a consequence though a Survivalist needs to dedicate more of his time and resources to obtain that level. Many would view that as overkill or a bit paranoid. Too each their own.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I know survivalists that cannot hike due to their health. I have very little interest in camping out of a backpack. Some folks might call me a poser––wutevr. My 4x4 has IFS. Call me a poser––wutevr. There is a whole generation of folks that have been taught that survivalists are teh debil. So they can only resolve that teaching with the need to keep some things to deal with common emergencies by not being survivalists.

IFS....wholy fuch.......next youll say it has throttle body injection and auto hubs.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know survivalists that cannot hike due to their health. I have very little interest in camping out of a backpack. Some folks might call me a poser––wutevr. My 4x4 has IFS. Call me a poser––wutevr. There is a whole generation of folks that have been taught that survivalists are teh debil. So they can only resolve that teaching with the need to keep some things to deal with common emergencies by not being survivalists.

IFS....wholy fuch.......next youll say it has throttle body injection and auto hubs.....

Vrotec multiport fuel injection and push button on the dash autotrac 4x4  

Get 'R Dun
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Does this mean you all are gonna laugh at my 4x4 Dakota with 4.7 liter engine and automatic transmission?

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:03:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Does this mean you all are gonna laugh at my 4x4 Dakota with 4.7 liter engine and automatic transmission?

do you have a CBwhip on it?

if so by defualt we cant laugh
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:06:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vrotec multiport fuel injection and push button on the dash autotrac 4x4

Get 'R Dun

my rado is 2wd but it has a locker in rear and i put AT's on it

vortec as well..4.8l....i couldnt drop the 38k for the 4x4 one when i bought this in late 06'..but it'll be paid off by spring time...so wife will get a hand me down and i may sell her little car to get a late model 4x4 or cutv
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I try the things I can do so reasonably.  I also understand many of these things are perishable––-just because you did it once or twice 5 10 or 15 years ago does not mean you will remember how to do it today.  Frequently used and/or critical skills first aid, grinding/bread making etc are easily maintained.  Some other skills, say making a basket hilt sabre out of a leaf spring,  not so much.  Which is where references come in handy.  I think we both agree on that.

However, I do not see the Ipod as a weak link.  Why not?  Options and redundancy.  I have multiple bug in and bug out plans.  Multiple BOL's.  Multiple tools.  Why not have multiple libraries?
1.  It ain't my primary tool for the job
2. I am not advocating buying an ipod specifically for prep related stuff (hey if you have the cash and nothing more important go for it).  More along the lines of I want an Ipod for travel/working out/to listen to while doing yard work etc.  Is there a survival related use for it?  Is that potential use worth a few extra bucks over a smaller ipod?  
3.  I all ready have the solar battery charger for lights etc.  Is the weight of say the ipod and a charger that runs on AA's worth it($ and weight)

To me this is some what the difference between a prepper and a survivalist.  More so than a lot of things in this thread.  The ability to plan, have multiple options and see the potential survival uses of more mundane items.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#50]
As I've seen:

Survivalists = spend a ton of time worrying / preparing for events with an extremely small likelihood of happening (EMP, etc)
Prepper = Spend a moderate amount of time preparing for events that are most likely to happen.

Neither term offends me, and I'm not really qualified to be called either yet.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top