Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If the jacket was TNF, try contacting them.

I'm planning on doing this with a pair of Merrells I purchased from REI this past summer.  My issue is that the inside ripped open and a large piece of plastic is digging into my ankle.  I just ordered a new pair directly from Merrell with a pro-discount so my plan is to return them to Merrell.  I don't care for a replacement or discount, I would rather they just take a look at them for their R&D improvement.  I honestly put a lot of miles on them and they're still in great shape except for that blow-out inside the shoe.  

I've been a member of REI for almost 30 years and use to shop the Seattle "mother ship" when I was a teenager.  It's sad about the abuse of their policy but it sounds like they still take returns if something doesn't fit right as long as it's not worn out.  One of the key reasons I shop at REI (mostly on-line as the Atlanta stores are a couple hours away) is that I can return something if it doesn't fit or work like I thought; doesn't sound like their policy change is unreasonable.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 3:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a quick example....First thing that came up and it was at both stores

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/the-north-face-apex-bionic-jacket-soft-shell-for-men~p~4520t/?filterString=s~north-face%2F&colorFamily=08 $90

http://www.rei.com/product/799081/the-north-face-apex-bionic-jacket-mens $150

That's pretty common across the board. IMHO, you are paying for the guarantee 10x over with that 40% price difference. Now its a little muddy because STP has a great return policy as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to change the subject but as an REI member I was really frustrated last time I was there. They always use to ask my Fiancé and I if we were members and when we said yes they would leave us alone. Last time we were there they kept trying to sell us a second membership so we would get two 20% coupons. It wouldn't bother me so much but I think every employee in the store tried pushing this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
This whole thing doesn't have anything to do with survival anyways.

REI is one of if not THE premier outdoor store. How many folks come to this forum to learn about survival gear; what to buy, how to use it, where to buy it?

I don't know what rubbed you the wrong way that makes you want to piss in my thread, but I'm asking you kindly to not reply if you have nothing else constructive to say

Speed

Not to piss but I've been in several times but NEVER made a purchase; either the items were not in stock or they were 30% more than I would normally pay.

Last time, it was pretty much a bait and switch with mountain bike tires.

REI has morphed into a lifestyle store for sporty people who have "outgrown" their North Face gear.

Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Anti gun company... I won't do business with them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of the products they sell are guaranteed for the life of the product.  I used to work at a backpacking store, and the manufacturers credit the store.     TNf, moonstone, mountain hardware, osprey, ect...all guarantee their products to work in the outdoors under harsh conditions that is what they are made for.  So the op is right!
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I paid $1000 for a piece of gear which I have and it failed after 4 years you wouldn't catch me trying to return it like a douche after 4 years. You bought it, you used it, you got 4 years out of it, who knows how hard you were on it? Of course you'll say you weren't.  It's abuse of their policy

I'm guessing you voted for Obama too

Massive leaps of judgement aside, REI has a defense for this, they know your return habits, easily tracked with your "membership" number, by any dolt at the register.  I have no idea if Speed's return is legit or not, nor do I really care.  Going off of the little info I heard, it could have worked like this: Speed tripped a flag somehow, be it cost of item, age of item, frequency of returns, some combination of these and/or other variables.  This is why the employee wanted the manager, easily remedied with management's approval, it gives REI a chance if they do have a problem "returner" to address it, and perhaps discourage less than ideal returns.  Co-op aside they are a business, business is not black and white, it is varying shades of gray.  When a company has a return policy like that, they are going to have "all kinds" of returns, they need a better mechanism than a part-time hourly employee guarding the gates.  

Sooo...manager shows up, is he encouraged to give up the ship? Or just enough to keep the customer happy? I would bet on just enough, as they are a for profit organization.  If however the "member" is real problem returner, for whatever reason, REI can catch that person at the cash drawer and discourage future business with them.  I would guess Speeds return was probably okay, but old so the manager had to be called in, just my guess.

Also, I bet they don't feel the sting that much, they probably write those returns off at tax time and then recoup some of the $ back at next year's "garage sale" or what ever they call it.

Also, I don't think Northface gear is what it once was.  Nor Marmot.  Columbia has bought Mountain Hardwear, and much like the Chrysler Mercedes union of years ago, the cheap on got better, and the high line brand got worse.  Just my $.02.

Ya maybe; but the sales girl actually told me "our return policy has changed". Now maybe she wasn't supposed to say that, but something made her tell me that...probably that's all she picked up form a meeting w/ a power point about the "changes" to the return policy

Anyway, I'm not sure I would be flagged for returns at REI. I'm racking my brains trying to think of what I've returned there, and the only thing I can think of was a pair of pants (new with tags) I exchanged a week after buying them for the right size, roughly a year ago. I've been pretty pleased with all the stuff I've bought there, save this TNF jacket.

FWIW, when I went to buy that particular jacket, I remember there was a Marmot version I really liked, but it was closer to $300. Ouch

They still sell that TNF jacket, but it's $120 and since I was disspointed with it, I bought the REI version this time. I'm sure it will be fine.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Legally they'd have to stick to whatever return policy they offered when you bought the jacket, as that was when the purchase/sale contract was entered into, no?  You can't change the terms after the fact, willy-nilly.

THIS...

Bought a backpack at EMS for my daughter for high school when she was a sophomore (she is 27 now). Replaced it once for her under their old warranty and then passed it on to her brother (16 now) and have replaced it 2 more times for him.

Since I purchased it they have changed their return polocy but if you keep the original receipt, and subsequent slips generated at returns, your good

Yeah, Im a bastard, and cheap, but I will ALWAYS hold a company up to their warranty. I will also show my loyalty to those companies who honor therir warranties w/o question

Link Posted: 3/5/2013 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Just sharing what I know of what they used to do with returns.  Come to think of it, it has been a while since I've actually been in a REI store.  So it may have well changed.  That would be a big shame on them if they did, as they are not cheap, and a strong warranty/return policy is i believe very important in their industry. Either way, good luck with the new jacket.  Premium outdoor gear isn't cheap, so one always wants it to be awesome, or at least good. I have some REI brand stuff and I like it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a North Face VE24 that is 30 or so years old and the polyurethane waterproofing on the floor  is peeling off or mostly gone. Plus the tent stinks. They told me it was time to purchase a new one. One heck of a tent. Not purchased at REI though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It is no wonder retailers are tightening up their return policies. Returning a four year old item because you wore it out? F'n ridiculous if you ask me...
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 2:08:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the jacket was TNF, try contacting them.

I'm planning on doing this with a pair of Merrells I purchased from REI this past summer.  My issue is that the inside ripped open and a large piece of plastic is digging into my ankle.  I just ordered a new pair directly from Merrell with a pro-discount so my plan is to return them to Merrell.  I don't care for a replacement or discount, I would rather they just take a look at them for their R&D improvement.  I honestly put a lot of miles on them and they're still in great shape except for that blow-out inside the shoe.  

I've been a member of REI for almost 30 years and use to shop the Seattle "mother ship" when I was a teenager.  It's sad about the abuse of their policy but it sounds like they still take returns if something doesn't fit right as long as it's not worn out.  One of the key reasons I shop at REI (mostly on-line as the Atlanta stores are a couple hours away) is that I can return something if it doesn't fit or work like I thought; doesn't sound like their policy change is unreasonable.

ROCK6

every pair i own my one heel rubs the padding down in the back to nothing..even in other shoes so i cant blame them...however...they coulda make thier soles last longer...

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This REALLY pisses me off! Dude I'm sorry but you are everything that is wrong with retail.  TOTAL asshole move to even think you have the right to return a 4 year old jacket you have been using.  People like you cost retailers and manufacturers tons of money by abusing the system, and then they have no choice but to raise prices on the rest of us to compensate for it.  You should not have gotten a credit not even one dime!! DISGUSTING abuse of the system. You really have some nerve!

Quoted:
For years I've bought things at REI simply because I knew that if they didn't work right, or they failed sooner than expected, I could exchange them w/ no hassle.
This was always their policy and it's kind of the only way they can justify full MSRP

Anyway, their policy has changed. They no longer accept returns for what they could deem "normal wear and tear".
Example: you buy a $150 outdoor jacket and it rips; you don't get to take it back for a new one; shouldn't have actually worn it outdoors I guess

I found this out yesterday. I purchased a TNF jacket there in 2009 which developed holes on the sleeve. I took it up to the counter where an older lady pulled my membership info and told me how their policy has changed w/ the wear and tear angle. Ok, I thought, no biggie...it certainly makes sense nowadays w/ retailers hurting and all.

I wasn't rude, demanding, or anything; I just told her I was dissapointed, but understood. She kept talking and asked me 3 times if I wanted to talk to a manager
Finally I told her that if she needed a manager, then to please call one

Long story short, the manager offered to give me a store credit before I said one word to him, but he went on about how the "policy hasn't changed, we just don't take returns for wear and tear anymore as people have been abusing it"...well, that WAS the policy before dude, so be definition: it has changed

So, just a heads up. REI is still a decent place to get gear and clothes, but they no longer have the unlimited return policy they used to.

Speed

Oh wtf is this bull shit? REI is a co-op that you pay into to become a member. A far as I am concerned the only reason I have an REI membership was strictly because of their return policy. Their over inflated pricing more than well covers the costs of returns.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top