BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2015 5:35:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ford F150 with 4.6. The 4.6 is a worthless truck engine, but it gets 1-4 mpg better than the 5.4.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
First, you will not get a sub 100k mile (real) truck with your requirements worth a shit.

This is simple! This truck meets all your requirements and more.
04-06 Chevy Silverado Crew cab short bed or GME sierra Crew cab short bed.
Try and find a 1500HD model for the stonger 6.0 and 4L80 trans, Its light years better than the standard 1500.

4wd,

5.3 V8. Parts availability and pull out engines are cheaper than hookers. Seriously. 300$ for a ENTIRE 150k mile engine. They are know to go 250k+ with ZERO problems.
These engines are the best modern combustion engines available, nuthing else even remotly comes close to the reliability and cost factor when needing to repair a engine.

Tons of room.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]

I'd go Tacoma or 4Runner, but low miles and good condition will be tough to find given the desired price point.

These are very reliable vehicles and reasonably tough.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Beware low priced Jeeps. Too many have had the suspension ruined or
frame damaged by amateur off-roaders and bargain basement lift kits.

I've yet to see any jeep with both less than 100k miles and under $8k that isn't bent, torqued or broken from this trailer park mechanic crap.

Finding something not total trash for under 6k is getting harder and harder as people think their beat to hell or ghetto'd up vehicles should be worth as much as a new one.

I'd suggest looking more at the Ford Ranger. They're light enough to not suffer badly from 2wd, there are plenty of them in junk yards to get cheap and good parts from (most are due to kids crashing them) and they are one of the easier Fords to work on in my experience.

Nissan's are nice looking, but the moment anything goes wrong (and it will) the price of repairs/parts will make your head spin.

CUCVs are not bad, and maintenance wise they're the easiest on your list to work on, but getting the parts is tricky unless you get the maintenance manuals that give the NSN part numbers, which can be converted to normal civi part numbers for finding replacements. The fuel mileage is pretty abysmal due to the big Detroit Diesel engines, and be aware that some CUCVs have limiters installed that lock the trucks below 60.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Used Jeep Cherokee's should always be avoided. The term "money pit" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#9]
GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 quad cab.

Awesome trucks with very reliable track records.

easy to wrench on.

easily go 200k if proper maintenance intervals are adhered to.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
In my experience, thte Nissan frontier doesn't make your criteria.  look long and hard at the gas consumption.  Most of these are utter thirsty pigs....
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a Ford guy and I cant believe I am saying this...but for your price range, how about a Nissan Xterra. You can get a 4x4 in that price range...just look on Ebay or Autotrader.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm partial to Subaru since I work for a Subaru dealership.  I'm really digging AWD....now, you aren't getting the cargo capacity compared to a truck, but MPG wise you will thank yourself over the life of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First, you will not get a sub 100k mile (real) truck with your requirements worth a shit.

This is simple! This truck meets all your requirements and more.
04-06 Chevy Silverado Crew cab short bed or GME sierra Crew cab short bed.
Try and find a 1500HD model for the stonger 6.0 and 4L80 trans, Its light years better than the standard 1500.

4wd,

5.3 V8. Parts availability and pull out engines are cheaper than hookers. Seriously. 300$ for a ENTIRE 150k mile engine. They are know to go 250k+ with ZERO problems.
These engines are the best modern combustion engines available, nuthing else even remotly comes close to the reliability and cost factor when needing to repair a engine.

Tons of room.

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy319/ezdaar/06%20Silverado/83CF7E97-EF9B-488F-9E98-DC40CCEC62F7_zpsirhav9ll.jpg
View Quote

I would go with this. Fuel mileage may not quite get 18 but overall upkeep costs would more than make up for it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK my son recently totaled one of the vehicles on his way to work (after school) so now we need to replace it.  Since he does most of the driving on this vehicle I've given him some input.  This is our combined requirements and wish lists:

Mileage (more is better), a minimum of 18MPG highway.
Truck is preferred  (though he like my Cherokee)
Extended cab for truck is preferred
4WD is HIGHLY preferred (but not required), not for hard core off-roading - but for bad weather and occasional light off-roading/camping.

Easy to work on, and parts that are available locally (i.e. Advanced Auto or NAPA).

2000 or newer is preferred

I'm thinking a manual transmission so the boy can learn how to use one, though if we get an automatic the Wife-Unit could drive the vehicle if her Urban Assault Van is ever in the shop.

I

Miles on odometer of 100,000 or less (preferably less)

Spending no more than $6100 on the vehicle (plus tax & tags)

Vehicles we've looked at (in order of preference)

• Nissan Frontier (extended cab not crew cab) 4x4 - liking these but availability varies one week there is a ton, the next nothing.

• Ford Ranger (mostly 2WD - 4WD are tough to find)

• Toyota Tacoma (though mostly out of price range - so we'll have to skip these )

• Honda CRV (prices are crazy - especially for vehicles with 150-250K miles that are 10+ years old)  thinking we'll skip these as prices are insane.

• Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 (ok this one has 145K miles - but it was a soft top with a 4.0!!)

• Jeep Liberty (lots of these available in decent shape for reasonable money- WHY???)

• Jeep Cherokee (found a good one 1999 with 89K miles - but one side had the fenders cut for larger tires - but not the other side).

• Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0s  (any thoughts on these?  Love the engine the Grand Cherokee is 1000lbs heavier than the XJ IIRC).

• 80s Vintage CUCVs (both pickups and the blazer), miles are usually right, diesel is nice, but how is maintenance? (I won't have a motor pool like I did in the 80s)

Ok is there anything else I should look at?  Any notes or suggestions on the above vehicles?  Any Questions?

Thanks for your help!
View Quote

I have owned all but one on your list and the only 1 thats gonna give you what you want is a Tacoma 2.7L.  Don't be fooled by the gas milage claims of some.  Tacoma w/ 150-200k is often better than others with lower milage/much better manufacturing procedures.  Find an un abused unmodded one and drive to 300k and only change timing chain.  You know that 4.0 is gonna suck some gas.  My brothers gets 14.7 mpg in his ranger it has about 100k on it he has had it for 4-5 years.  Wrangler milage never as good as expected.  It goes on....I just sold a 1999 Taco and it was more Mechanically sound than my 2006 Sierra with 1/2 the miles.  I'm heading back to Toyota for the long haul ASAP.  They may cost more, but will also resell WAY better than anything and go anywhere.  If you don't have to finance or buy immediately just look around for a few weeks, I drove 100 miles to go pickup my last one.  At 200k I got busy at work and went 5k without changing oil.....Was not a drop low.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have owned all but one on your list and the only 1 thats gonna give you what you want is a Tacoma 2.7L.  Don't be fooled by the gas milage claims of some.  Tacoma w/ 150-200k is often better than others with lower milage/much better manufacturing procedures.  Find an un abused unmodded one and drive to 300k and only change timing chain.  You know that 4.0 is gonna suck some gas.  My brothers gets 14.7 mpg in his ranger it has about 100k on it he has had it for 4-5 years.  Wrangler milage never as good as expected.  It goes on....I just sold a 1999 Taco and it was more Mechanically sound than my 2006 Sierra with 1/2 the miles.  I'm heading back to Toyota for the long haul ASAP.  They may cost more, but will also resell WAY better than anything and go anywhere.  If you don't have to finance or buy immediately just look around for a few weeks, I drove 100 miles to go pickup my last one.  At 200k I got busy at work and went 5k without changing oil.....Was not a drop low.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK my son recently totaled one of the vehicles on his way to work (after school) so now we need to replace it.  Since he does most of the driving on this vehicle I've given him some input.  This is our combined requirements and wish lists:

Mileage (more is better), a minimum of 18MPG highway.
Truck is preferred  (though he like my Cherokee)
Extended cab for truck is preferred
4WD is HIGHLY preferred (but not required), not for hard core off-roading - but for bad weather and occasional light off-roading/camping.

Easy to work on, and parts that are available locally (i.e. Advanced Auto or NAPA).

2000 or newer is preferred

I'm thinking a manual transmission so the boy can learn how to use one, though if we get an automatic the Wife-Unit could drive the vehicle if her Urban Assault Van is ever in the shop.

I

Miles on odometer of 100,000 or less (preferably less)

Spending no more than $6100 on the vehicle (plus tax & tags)

Vehicles we've looked at (in order of preference)

• Nissan Frontier (extended cab not crew cab) 4x4 - liking these but availability varies one week there is a ton, the next nothing.

• Ford Ranger (mostly 2WD - 4WD are tough to find)

• Toyota Tacoma (though mostly out of price range - so we'll have to skip these )

• Honda CRV (prices are crazy - especially for vehicles with 150-250K miles that are 10+ years old)  thinking we'll skip these as prices are insane.

• Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 (ok this one has 145K miles - but it was a soft top with a 4.0!!)

• Jeep Liberty (lots of these available in decent shape for reasonable money- WHY???)

• Jeep Cherokee (found a good one 1999 with 89K miles - but one side had the fenders cut for larger tires - but not the other side).

• Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0s  (any thoughts on these?  Love the engine the Grand Cherokee is 1000lbs heavier than the XJ IIRC).

• 80s Vintage CUCVs (both pickups and the blazer), miles are usually right, diesel is nice, but how is maintenance? (I won't have a motor pool like I did in the 80s)

Ok is there anything else I should look at?  Any notes or suggestions on the above vehicles?  Any Questions?

Thanks for your help!

I would have to agree for the most part.  Though, IMO the only one on your list that is going to get consistently 18mpg or better with "normal" driving is that Honda CRV.
If you drive like your trying to go anywhere every one of those vehicles on your list are 14~16mpg rigs.  I am a Jeep guy for the most part but none of the older TJ,XJ, or ZJ will push 18mpg unless you don't push the gas pedal.  Most also require major wheel bearing, brakes, and suspension overhauls around 150k miles or so.  Parts are cheap and they are easy to work on though.  Motors are good for 200K, but most of the underside is not.
Toyota and Nissan are going to probably be your best bet.  Honda CRV if you can find one in that price range.  If you don't live in a rust zone I would suggest any decent ford or chevy.  However, in my AO any 10 year old ford or chevy truck, that has been driving during the winter, is going to be a complete rust bucket.  Every brake line gas line and cable will need replacement at the 8~10 year mark.  I guess that's true for most vehicles in my AO.  Oh well.
Good cheap used vehicles are getting harder to find.  I think its a sign of inflation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I can only speak to Jeeps and Hondas, I'm a 6-time Jeep owner (CJ, TJ, '98GC and '08 GC diesel and a '12 JKU, still have the last two.)

Trading in my '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L is my single biggest automotive regret. IMO it's the last "real" off-road GC model,
and it's pretty easy to self maintain any of the 4.0L Jeep engines, which is why I'd also vote on that Wrangler you found. Downside is
on the Wrangler you will need to maintain it, and since it's got a higher CG the son is going to have to learn to be careful driving/cornering
(my daughter was interested in a Wrangler for her first car and I said no for that reason, but it sounds like your son has some experience.)

Jeep Libertys are around cheap because they suck.

The Grand Cherokee is probably the safest of the Jeeps you listed in an accident.

I know the Honda prices are crazy but the cars just don't die. I ended up getting my daughter a '99 Accord at nearly $5K at 180K miles,
letting her learn to drive and break everything that's going to break, and then dropped in a fresh engine. (Super low insuance costs, and
no appreciable taxes on a car that will likely go another 100K+ miles easily.)

If it were my kid, I think I'd vote the Grand Cherokee and then Wrangler, mostly due to east of maintenance on the Wrangler. If
you can score a Tacoma, though, do that. it's probably where I will go since the Jeeps are so citified now

ETA: I forgot to mention milage, the GC was right at 21 MPG when driven normally. Wrangler was about 18-19 MPG.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a year 2000 gold colored jeep grand cherokee limited that has 95,000 miles, no rust, 4wd, leather interior,  and a 4.7l v8 engine that runs like new. I am looking to sell it for $6000 firm. I could email you pictures if you are interested. The only things needing work is the cd player needs replacing and the sunroof has a leak that needs repairing. I am selling it because I have a 69 jeepster commando that I now use for daily driving. I own a hotel in upstate ny so if you came up to look/purchase your accommodation would be taken care of. It has a new battery, 4 new tires, and was just serviced.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#19]
i have a 2005 Nissan Frontier LE CC 4wd. its been a pretty good truck with some issues. nothing real serious but more of a couple of annoyances than anything. the 2000-2004 Frontiers are ok, but under powered. my 05 with the 4.0 has more power and is faster than even the 04 supercharged version. like the Toyota, you wont find a 05+ in your price range with your requirements and i personally wouldnt have an 04 or older.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Jeep liberty has window problems

Go drive through a full parking lot looking for tapped up windows. (my sister has one)

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#21]
2000-2004 Tacoma w 2.7l 4cyl meets all req. except mabe price.  its for your son right? Please for his sake no CRV.  I really like my Jeeps, even the Cherokee I had but damn, worked on them more than everything else put together.  But they can be had cheaper especially the cherokee.  A 4Runner can get you into a 'yota cheaper, but is heavier and most are the 6cyl.  Also look at a "Prerunner" tacoma its a 2wd on a 4x4 suspension, some have the factory locking real diff. (e-lock) and will go pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know how "handy" you are, but skip twin cam foreign engines that are squeezed into a small suv...everything will be expensive to repair and may require the dealer $$$$.

Chevy or Ford pickup. I like Chevy...parts are reasonable and it's easy enough to fix yourself. Fords had the spark plug issues, not sure how relevant that is, but probably a pain.

When your dealing with a new driver you want to survive first, followed by repair expense...kick him a couple bucks for fuel and get a full size truck.

Forget a Jeep wrangler types. I've had them...not worth the risk.
Nissan is ok, but the mileage is 15-16 w 4.0L. Timing chain tensioner repair/issue is $1400

Loosen up the "year" and focus on mileage. Older may have issues pop up, but they are usually cheaper to resolve and the parts are cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Go to govdeals.com  search for Durango in a 400 mile radius(or as far as you are willing to drive).  You'll find some good deals for under $6k for a 2004 - 2008, maybe newer.  I'm waiting for a 2007 for around $3K but Durangos are rare in my region.  Look for a municipality that does great maintenance and upkeep.  A university owned vehicle is usually well cared for.  I bought one from a ski town, the city replaced anything that looked funny or dusty.  Nothing made it long enough to wear out.  Yes there are also a lot of abused beat to hell vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#27]
With that price point you will be lucky to find anything in the 4x4 category from what I have seen. A few thousand more will get you into a decent Chevy/Ford/Dodge with less that 150k and maybe some rust issues and needing some work.

Toyota , forget that you will not find a decent truck or 4 runner for under $12k thats in decent shape.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#29]
OP: Safety.

You literally can't put a price on your kid's safety on the road. Have them drive a boat of a car.

If you hare handy, cars/trucks from the 90's are solid, reliable, cheap to fix, and relatively easy to fix yourself. The ford modular engines easily sail past 200k miles, especially in a car. My mother is about to turn 300k on a 98 lincoln with the 4.6

Pay the extra in gas for a full frame car or truck. Forget the small SUVs. I quit driving my Grand Cherokee because of safety. In a crash, we will fare much better in the F250. I refuse to put my kids in the jeep unless necessary. Damn thing is a unibody!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP: Safety.

You literally can't put a price on your kid's safety on the road. Have them drive a boat of a car.

If you hare handy, cars/trucks from the 90's are solid, reliable, cheap to fix, and relatively easy to fix yourself. The ford modular engines easily sail past 200k miles, especially in a car. My mother is about to turn 300k on a 98 lincoln with the 4.6

Pay the extra in gas for a full frame car or truck. Forget the small SUVs. I quit driving my Grand Cherokee because of safety. In a crash, we will fare much better in the F250. I refuse to put my kids in the jeep unless necessary. Damn thing is a unibody!
View Quote

This:

"You literally can't put a price on your kid's safety on the road. Have them drive a boat of a car."

And anyone else you care about...

Why don't you consider a large SUV? We can drive anything and use SUV's, and a small or larger trailer when we need to transport something large. The taxes on the single axle trailer are abt $36/yr IIRC from looking the other day.

I like Ford SUV's [because I'm invested in decades of experience with them from a service standpoint] they are cheap to keep running, rarely break, parts are all over, I don't give a rat's ass [sorry Rat  about tacticool off-roading non-sense, altho I'm probably on muddy and dirt roads, and need 4WD as much as most anyone for practical reasons, and want something that is just common sense, works and is safe.

Fuel costs are more than the shoe-boxes, especially since it's been adulterated with alcohol, however I consider that a workable tradeoff.

I certainly don't start out looking for a vehicle, or property, or machine, etc, and set an artificial price point right off, until I've done some research to learn the lay of the land.

Then when deals appear, I'm prepared to make an informed decision. When the right deal appears, I'm not hamstrung to some artificial number and can move up if necessary to get what might be best for me and let the Seller win a little too.

SO and I share an SUV that just turned 136,000 miles and is ~14 YO --daily. We have another SUV, same yr and model, with lower mileage and rarely drive it, and a 2009 SUV [same model, 30,000 miles] for trips and pulling the Stealth trailer. As well as a old Bronco in original showroom condx with very low mileage that I bought new in CA, that I'm scared to take on the road for fear some illegal or whatever will total it and I'll get a few bucks for the experience.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Full frames are no more 'safe' than unibodies.
View Quote

There's a bit to this debate, but suffice it to say, full-frame vehicle's like pickups sit higher and usually don't sustain the cabin crush that vehicles sitting 7" off the ground do. The "safe" unibody types are either nanny vans or larger SUV's with a lot of sheetmetal.

The fatals I've been to lately were rear-end accidents involving small imported vehicles and American extended cab pickups. The people in the imports died, the trucks occupants were fine. When the back seat is pressing the front seats forward, you're dead. Granted, this is a very specific type of accident, but indicative of what driving a gas sipper will do.

If you take a hit in a small well-engineered vehicle, it will probably be safe, but will be destroyed. A low to medium impact in a full-frame vehicle "may" be still even be driveable.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There's a bit to this debate, but suffice it to say, full-frame vehicle's like pickups sit higher and usually don't sustain the cabin crush that vehicles sitting 7" off the ground do. The "safe" unibody types are either nanny vans or larger SUV's with a lot of sheetmetal.

The fatals I've been to lately were rear-end accidents involving small imported vehicles and American extended cab pickups. The people in the imports died, the trucks occupants were fine. When the back seat is pressing the front seats forward, you're dead. Granted, this is a very specific type of accident, but indicative of what driving a gas sipper will do.

If you take a hit in a small well-engineered vehicle, it will probably be safe, but will be destroyed. A low to medium impact in a full-frame vehicle "may" be still even be driveable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A friend who can drive what he wants, who owned one of the dealerships near here until he sold it to a relative, put his wife in a box car, she got hit and as a result destroyed her health with all the attendant issues of a life ruining situation for them to deal with.

Happened yrs ago and IMO wasn't worth it.

Do you think he learned anything...

Nope! Folks are stupid. Friend would prolly have been selling insurance or working a trade if Daddy hadn't left the dealership to him.

Over the years I've been in a couple accidents, and thankfully the big Ford trucks saved me, and could be driven away. Not so much for the 'opponent'  

Almost every one [except for a Hispanic lady who rear ended me just a little] were towed.

Once got run off the road in a Corvette by a newspaper boy driving on the wrong side of the road and crashed it a bit, was OK too.

I wouldn't dream of putting my SO in anything less than 5 or 6000 pounds...

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
A friend who can drive what he wants, who owned one of the dealerships near here until he sold it to a relative, put his wife in a box car, she got hit and as a result destroyed her health with all the attendant issues of a life ruining situation for them to deal with.

Nope! Folks are stupid. Friend would prolly have been selling insurance or working a trade if Daddy hadn't left the dealership to him.

Over the years I've been in a couple accidents, and thankfully the big Ford trucks saved me, and could be driven away. Not so much for the 'opponent'  

Almost every one [except for a Hispanic lady who rear ended me just a little] were towed.

Once got run off the road in a Corvette by a newspaper boy driving on the wrong side of the road and crashed it a bit, was OK too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My aunt was driving a 1995 F150 about 12 years ago. Road construction detours put up a new 4 way stop where there wasn't one before. She wasn't paying close enough attention, and T-boned a commercial 1 ton van at 55 mph. Truck front end was smashed, but her only injury was from the seatbelt (left a hell of a bruise!). Driver of the van was shaken too.

I have family that used to be an EMT. She responded to a lot of wrecks. She never had life threatening injuries from folks in pickup trucks, but she lost a few that were in cars.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

How about Ford Explorers?

They seem like a bigger SUV, got 4x4, safety ratings are decent.

If they are ok- what years should I look for - or better yet what years should I avoid?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.
View Quote
The older ones (1996 type body) were tippy, IMHO. They have a frame equivalent to a ranger. I would go full expedition. At least you have a half ton chassis.

ETA: I think they went to the new body style ranger in about 2003 ish?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Wasn't that due to the tires used at the time?  Change tires and it would be ok? Kind of. They had to deflate the tires so they pass anti-roll tests, and tires would blow out. Something like 23 pounds on the door jamb or something like that. When you fully inflate the tires to tire specs, the vehicle is a bit tippy. Fine for an experienced driver, but any over-steer would easily roll it. Never let the kids drive the explorer when it was around the farm. We had a 96, FYI

Holy fuel guzzling Batman! The explorer got about 21, expedition with the 4.6 get about 18.

From my last 20 minutes of research it would be 2002 or 2003 - as there was a sudden upsurge in reported problems (which usually accompanies a new model).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The older ones (1996 type body) were tippy, IMHO.

Wasn't that due to the tires used at the time?  Change tires and it would be ok? Kind of. They had to deflate the tires so they pass anti-roll tests, and tires would blow out. Something like 23 pounds on the door jamb or something like that. When you fully inflate the tires to tire specs, the vehicle is a bit tippy. Fine for an experienced driver, but any over-steer would easily roll it. Never let the kids drive the explorer when it was around the farm. We had a 96, FYI

. I would go full expedition. At least you have a half ton chassis.  

Holy fuel guzzling Batman! The explorer got about 21, expedition with the 4.6 get about 18.

ETA: I think they went to the new body style ranger in about 2003 ish?

From my last 20 minutes of research it would be 2002 or 2003 - as there was a sudden upsurge in reported problems (which usually accompanies a new model).
The Ford Explorer up until the 2002-2003 changeover was basically a glorified Bronco 2. Very narrow, tippy, but decently powered and maneuverable. I would avoid them. They can also tow a small trailer.

They also don't seem to hold up well in the high miles. Around here, a 1996 explorer brings about 1k in nice shape, while an expedition of the same year/condition brings about 3.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#42]
OP: I would consider finding a 1992 to 1996 F150 extended cab short box 4x4 (if possible). Get the 4.9 I6 engine (they commonly had the standard transmission too).

Change out the air filter to a K&N, put in a performance coil, wires, and plugs. Advance the timing a bit and run medium grade fuel. If you are super handy, put in a camshaft. Minimize the crap you keep in the truck.

I would get 20-22 mpg out of that exact setup.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Obviously I like my Tacoma but I had an F150 before it and it was super reliable. Gas mileage sucked but most trucks do. Had chevy s-10's that were great too.

There are good and bad makes out there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Get a higher mileage Tacoma. My last one a 1999 had 200k on it and the only repair ever done to it was brakes and tires. It rusted through and Toyota bought it from me so I'd check the frame before buying.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Geo Tracker / Suzuki Sidekick, or Suzuki Vitara, or Ford Ranger, or old Chevy S10
View Quote

What?

Nooooooooooooo

I don't want to get killed if the other guy has a yugo.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#48]
We hear so many folks getting all worked up over fuel costs,

Yet they are happy to have their A-Hole ripped larger, over and over again, when they go to get brakes replaced, or other simple work done.

These same folks ---using a little common sense, investing in some tools, and showing some initiative...

Could save far more than the extra cost of fuel used for driving a larger vehicle, by doing some simple work instead of spreading their butt in front of the glorious flat-screen.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We hear so many folks getting all worked up over fuel costs,

Yet they are happy to have their A-Hole ripped larger, over and over again, when they go to get brakes replaced, or other simple work done.

These same folks ---using a little common sense, investing in some tools, and showing some initiative...

Could save far more than the extra cost of fuel used for driving a larger vehicle, by doing some simple work instead of spreading their butt in front of the glorious flat-screen.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top