Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't go for the smell, so maybe a mix of both would be the best bet?

gotta fire up and shut down outside, theres no way around it.like i said in my other posts, home depot has a product called "kero-kleen", and its in little 8oz bottles $4. 1 oz treats 10gallons for a way better burn. im useing k-1 from the pump with no odor at all if the flame is rite.if your in an apt or tite house, crack a window for air supply.1/4 ". as far as getting a heater, check your local craigslist, thats where i got mine. 23k units can be had lightly used for $50 or less, and they dont really wear out.the wick may need to be changed, but i see many for sale that cant be that worn. fiberglass wicks take a long time to wear out. what state you in?
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been struggling with what I want to do for a Kero heater and fuel... I'm thinking of getting one from Home Depot once they go on clearance for 50% off.

For fuel I'm either going to pick up 5 more MWC's and gaskets and find a local source of clear K-1, or pick up the overpriced Kleen-Strip K1 from Home Depot.

The way I look at it, initially the price is almost the same ($19/MWC + ~$3.50/gallon = $36.50 and that's excluding vitron gaskets I already have) vs $38/5 gallon from Home Depot.

Thoughts?

ETA: I can probably re-use the Kleen-Strip containers if I ever go though the K-1 I end up buying and re-fill with whatever I can find at the pump if/when the time comes.

That over priced kleanstrip K1 is the same kind of mineral spirits we have been talking about. I am mixing it with the pump K1 to get a cleaner burn. If the smell doesn't bother you then I would stick with the pump crap. Once you have the can your refills go down to $17.5.

Don't just buy a kerosene heater to let it sit on a shelf. Use it. You need to learn the ins and outs and have opportunities to stink up the house so you can learn how best to care for it.

$10 for a good 5 gal can isnt too bad, i never thought of it that way. the cheapness continues..........
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
"Don't just buy a kerosene heater to let it sit on a shelf. Use it. You need to learn the ins and outs and have opportunities to stink up the house so you can learn how best to care for it."

This ^^^ good advice is true for most everything [except nukes maybe]
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
its gonna be -4 or colder tonite, im not worried one little bit with one of these things roasting away. nights like this are when a good kero will save some coin. the furnace would be running like a mofo .
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:56:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a kero sun 10

and a sunstream heater

I have been running Jet-a in them for 2 years and have not had a problem yet.

A little oder when they fire up and shut off but none after their at operating temp.

I get my Jet-a from a small local airport at about $3.55 per gallon and I store it in a 15 gallon polly drum.

I use a little cheap syphon pump with a hose clamped on the end to reach the bottom of the tank to fill them both.

The sunstream heats the garage as its for outdoor use only and I can use the kero sun indoors if i need to.

It doesn't get to cold here in the Houston area and k-1 is not available at the pump.

Even if it was the jet-a burns cleaner than the stuff you get from home depot.

I just thought I would share my set up with everyone.

ETA: Great thread every body. Let everyone know what your kerosene style heating plans consist of so everyone can comparer notes.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a kero sun 10

and a sunstream heater

A little oder when they fire up and shut off but none after their at operating temp.
I get my Jet-a from a small local airport at about $3.55 per gallon and I store it in a 15 gallon polly drum.
I use a little cheap syphon pump with a hose clamped on the end to reach the bottom of the tank to fill them both.

The sunstream heats the garage as its for outdoor use only and I can use the kero sun indoors if i need to.
It doesn't get to cold here in the Houston area and k-1 is not available at the pump.

ETA: Great thread every body. Let everyone know what your kerosene style heating plans consist of so everyone can comparer notes.

I would love to be able to find jet A. I will have to check with my local oil distributor and see what they say.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
update: was -9 at 6am. the Kogy does not care, kept the house at 72*, no fumes,  my daughter would let me know all about it. ran the dura-heat 23k down stairs for 7 hrs and was toasty for the boy.  at 11:30 am, its still 0* and the house is warm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a kero sun 10

and a sunstream heater

those kero-sun 10 heaters are nice, im gonna grab one if i can get it cheap off craigslist. wish i could find some jet-a by me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I feel comfortable enough with the fuel selection to purchase a smaller, more efficient heater that will fit our small house better. Now that I know that it won't give me massive head aches and make me sick, I would like a heater that I can move around the house and not blast us out.

I just ordered this heater from the recommendations from the Miles Stair  Wick Shop website.

radiant kerosene heater for $99

Have you received/played with this one yet?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel comfortable enough with the fuel selection to purchase a smaller, more efficient heater that will fit our small house better. Now that I know that it won't give me massive head aches and make me sick, I would like a heater that I can move around the house and not blast us out.

I just ordered this heater from the recommendations from the Miles Stair  Wick Shop website.

radiant kerosene heater for $99

Have you received/played with this one yet?

I just opened it up and filled it. The lever on the unit is a bit sticky and will have to wear in. When you hit the manual shut off it does not totally shut the unit down. You have to lower the lever yourself. Not sure if that is right or not.

This unit is much rougher all around than the Japanese made version my mom had years ago. It looks very functional and I am sure it will work just fine. The battery compartment doesn't have a cover and is cheaply made.

The burner is quite a bit taller than the old one we had. That should help it to burn even cleaner. The burner and wick raising assembly actually look quite nice. Well put together.

I will have it lit in about 15mins. I had to wait an hour per instructions.

One thing I don't like is the lack of a real gauge on the tank when you are filling it. I spilled mineral spirits on the sun porch carpet. Next time I will have to watch the little crappy gauge and stop way sooner. I am also going to have to pre mix the kerosene/MS so I can just shake it up and pour it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]
So sounds like I should just get the 23k one from HD...
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

that one is a know quantity and it works well. I have two of the DynaGlo versions. That is what I have been using for all the tests in this thread.

I got the little heater running. It is not quiet red all the way to the top of the burner the way they suggest it should. If I go too high in the flame it has some yellow to the flame meaning that the flame is too high. I will get ironed out over the next couple hours.

The sticky lever is annoying and I will have to fix it when I burn the wick clean in a couple weeks.

ETA: Its been burning for an hour. Strong burning kerosene smell. Not bad by some standards, but worse than I was getting with my dynaglo and a 50/50 ratio. I used as close as I could figure to a 1:3 ratio, hoping this heater would not stink. I am going to burn it down and refill it with a 50/50 ratio and see if it works out better.

It has a nice blue flame coming out above the burner. I am not as impressed as I hoped i would be, but I need to play with it and learn how to get it to perform.

ETA2: I just realized I might have failed to get a good mix again. I put a little more MS in the tank and fired it back up again. It will most likely take hours before the better mixed up mixture will get to the wick, so I will have to update this tonight. What is absolutely obvious is that even this heater is not acceptable to me with regular pump K1.

ETA3: The MS must be working its way into the burn because its getting much less stinky. The smell has given me a headache as usual, and I never, ever get headaches. The unmixed kerosene smelled exactly the way it did in my dynaglo. I am not sure if the mix will stay mixed with the vertical tank. At .08 gallons an hour, it takes a long, long time to get new fuel to the wick!

I think I will really like this heater once I get the mixture right, get the lever freed up, and learn its quirks. Learning stuff is fun!
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I just drove down to a local hardware 10 miles away and bought a new pull handle for my little HF genny. While I was there I almost laughed out loud. They had the exact same little square heater I just bought. $8 cheaper than I paid with shipping........ I actually wanted to see what they had in stock. I always liked that place and would have bought it there if I had tried them first!

I noticed on their display model that the operating knob was very smooth was easy to tell what mode it was in. When I got home I tore apart my new heater and figured out that the front panel had been slightly bent in and it was making the plastic cover rub the handle as it moved. I bent the cover back and and relieved the spot where it hit with my dremel. Works like a charm now.

For some reason, its burning beautifully now. Not much smell at all. Almost nothing and its getting better. I wonder if the Kerosene and MS need time to combine? Its burning hotter too. The burner is red almost all the way to the top now with the flame as high as possible and still blue. I am much, much happier than I was this morning.....

I also picked up some ridiculously priced 100% paraffin to play with in my lanterns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Are you premixing the fuel in a separate can?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just drove down to a local hardware 10 miles away and bought a new pull handle for my little HF genny. While I was there I almost laughed out loud. They had the exact same little square heater I just bought. $8 cheaper than I paid with shipping........ I actually wanted to see what they had in stock. I always liked that place and would have bought it there if I had tried them first!

I noticed on their display model that the operating knob was very smooth was easy to tell what mode it was in. When I got home I tore apart my new heater and figured out that the front panel had been slightly bent in and it was making the plastic cover rub the handle as it moved. I bent the cover back and and relieved the spot where it hit with my dremel. Works like a charm now.

For some reason, its burning beautifully now. Not much smell at all. Almost nothing and its getting better. I wonder if the Kerosene and MS need time to combine? Its burning hotter too. The burner is red almost all the way to the top now with the flame as high as possible and still blue. I am much, much happier than I was this morning.....

I also picked up some ridiculously priced 100% paraffin to play with in my lanterns.

that platinum screen can fit in the new radiant you just got, look at the paper that came with it. nice purchase! found a small airport nearby with $4.24 a gal JET-A . is this stuff really that much better? i guess any airstrip that has jets in and out has JET-A. by the way, was 0* all day fri, and the Kogy just slams out the btu's! will be -5 tonight and im feeling alot better about this kero heater thing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

if you do and the x-tra few bucks dont worry you, you wont be sorry. mine is a heat blasting little furnace, worth every dollar i paid. get the kero-klean additive, thers a few dif scents. im using cinnamon. makes the thing work better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you premixing the fuel in a separate can?

Not yet, but I will have to now to avoid this problem. Once I buy a 55 gallon drum of the MS I can have a couple cans just for mixing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I would love to talk about the difference between the radiant and convection kerosene heaters.

With the 23,000 btu dynaglo, I can only run it 2 hours at a time and still be comfortable. 2 hours of run time means 5 to 6 hours of the furnace not running.

This Sengoku CTN-110, 10,000 btu radiant heater has been running for the last 4 hours and it is basically maintaining the temperature of the main part of the house, and keeping the furnace from running, but it is very slowly gaining ground. Its not heating the whole house the same way, but that is partially due to the 10,000 btu output.

The functioning of the heater most likely has a lot more to do with it. The radiant heater heats objects. The convection heater heats the air. The ceiling fan I am running in the kitchen is not throwing nearly as much heat around as before.

Its kind of neat to see the two different heaters in action. With the mixture I am running, the cost of the dynaglo is approx. $.67 per hour. The Sengoku is approx. $.34 per hour.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#19]
TJ mentioned that the Kerosene was heavier than the MS. I am wondering if this thing will start burning cleaner once the tank gets to half full. That should be around 10pm.

Right now it does not smell terrible, but it definitely smells strongly of burning kerosene. Its livable, but not acceptable for regular heating of the house. It will end up giving me headaches. It just smells like any other kerosene heater running plain pump K1.

I am going to try some of the kerosene additive in the next fill up. Maybe that will help some.

For a while there I thought it was mixing, but it just is not doing nearly as well as my dynaglo in the smell category. I may end up burning straight MS in this heater if it does not mix right.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Huge difference now that I am down to below the last half of the tank. No smell at all. Its pretty obvious that the kerosene and mineral spirits did not mix in the original fill up. I have premixed the two for the second tank. I hope it goes better or we will just have to run straight MS in this heater.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Shaking it should mix it up pretty good but I wounder how long it takes to separate.

It shouldn't be anything a few good sloshes before you light it shouldn't fix.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Huge difference now that I am down to below the last half of the tank. No smell at all. Its pretty obvious that the kerosene and mineral spirits did not mix in the original fill up. I have premixed the two for the second tank. I hope it goes better or we will just have to run straight MS in this heater.

If each is soluable in the other, how could they NOT mix?
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a kero sun 10

and a sunstream heater

I would love to be able to find jet A. I will have to check with my local oil distributor and see what they say.

I doubt O&P would have the Jet-A, you could check with the county airport though.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
imgetting a flat 18hrs per 1.9 gallons in the Kogy 100. overall. im only running at night, when its cold.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
imgetting a flat 18hrs per 1.9 gallons in the Kogy 100. overall. im only running at night, when its cold.

Your heater is averaging ~15,000 BTU output per hr.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a kero sun 10

and a sunstream heater

I doubt O&P would have the Jet-A, you could check with the county airport though.

The airport doesn't have to have jets to have jet-a. Most helicopters run on it also. You might even be able to get the contact info for their fuel service and maybe they could hook you up. Even have it delivered there and save some money.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I fired up my little kerosene heater today for the short time I will be home. Not much smell at all. It seems that the mineral spirits and kerosene just need time to mix.

When picking between a convection and radiant heaters, its best to look at your usage. If you need to heat a large area, convection is the only way to go. They heat the air.

If this was for heating up a room with people in it, I would go with the radiant heater. It does much better at warming up things and people. My little square heater is running its little heart out right now and its only slowly heating up the living room/kitchen.

This radiant heater would be right at home on one end of a big room to make it more comfortable. It is not going to warm up a whole house like the dynaglo tower heater.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#28]
What about a Buddy Heater? We might get about 2" of ice in the next couple days and am thinking of running out to buy one. I live within city limits (small town) but the electric has gone off before.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What about a Buddy Heater? We might get about 2" of ice in the next couple days and am thinking of running out to buy one. I live within city limits (small town) but the electric has gone off before.

Yes, absolutely. Figure 6 hours on one 1lb cylinder on low for the Portable Buddy. The big tanks run much longer if you can get the hose adapter. If you have a tractor supply close by you can pick up the heater, the hose, and a filter. The small cylinders seem to be the cheapest at Walmart at $5 for two. You can refill them if you get the adapter at tractor supply.

You can only run the bigger tanks indoors if you constantly monitor it. If you get a leak with a big tank it can level your house if not addressed in time. I would never leave one running in the house with a big tank unattended.

Its funny. I just posted in a thread in GD for a guy worried about ice storms. He is going electric run by a generator. I put some interesting efficiency numbers in that thread that show how much more efficient it is to just turn fuel into heat rather than mechanical energy, then heat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely. Figure 6 hours on one 1lb cylinder on low for the Portable Buddy. The big tanks run much longer if you can get the hose adapter. If you have a tractor supply close by you can pick up the heater, the hose, and a filter. The small cylinders seem to be the cheapest at Walmart at $5 for two. You can refill them if you get the adapter at tractor supply.

You can only run the bigger tanks indoors if you constantly monitor it. If you get a leak with a big tank it can level your house if not addressed in time. I would never leave one running in the house with a big tank unattended.

Its funny. I just posted in a thread in GD for a guy worried about ice storms. He is going electric run by a generator. I put some interesting efficiency numbers in that thread that show how much more efficient it is to just turn fuel into heat rather than mechanical energy, then heat.

Thanks again for your insight! I am going to TSC in few to get one for my mom. If I have enough funds, I will get one for myself also. I will only use the small propane cylinders for safety. Not really familar with fuel heaters so I do not want to over complicate things and end up burning my house down.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again for your insight! I am going to TSC in few to get one for my mom. If I have enough funds, I will get one for myself also. I will only use the small propane cylinders for safety. Not really familar with fuel heaters so I do not want to over complicate things and end up burning my house down.

Wut? I thought exploding stuff was fun?

I would pick up as many of the little cylinders as you can reasonably afford. I have 20 or so of them floating around. I have just started learning to refill them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Score!! Sorry to keep going off topic about kerosene but if you have a Menards near by they have the Buddy Heaters on sale for 54.00 bucks. woohoo!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey batman,

With all of your testing, have you had a CO detector in the room(s)?  If so, does/has it registered anything?

-Slice

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hey batman,

With all of your testing, have you had a CO detector in the room(s)?  If so, does/has it registered anything?

-Slice

I have a night hawk CO detector and another battery powered one. Neither have registered anything at all. Not a peep or a rise above zero. I may have to mount the night hawk further toward the ceiling to see if it reacts differently, but right now nothing with it mounted on a counter top plug.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Same here, can't get the Aladdins to register on the digital CO detector.

But if my SO doesn't turn on the vent fan when she lights the single burner Coleman propane, it goes off in about a minute!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]
my brand new CO detector has never gone off, and a week ago my Kogy ran out and smoked up the front room. not a peep. im glad to hear others say that they dont get readings from their co detectors, i was thinking mabey mine didnt work.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I took a major hit for the hive!  

I bought some of the ridiculously expensive 1-K kleanstrip kerosene from Home depot.  It was just over $40 with tax for 5 gallons. I have mixed it with 50% pump kerosene to burn tomorrow. Expect a report late tomorrow. If it works it would be a small way to duplicate my results
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I visited a local fuel distributor and bought 2- 5 gallon buckets of Kensol-30 for $6.70 per gallon. Not a great price, but not terrible. I can't afford to buy a 55 gallon drum of it until next month or the month after. The first 5 gallons went a really long way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#39]
both kero heaters are blazin now, outside its a complete blizzard. nice and toasty in this house!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#40]
both kero heaters are blazin now, outside its a complete blizzard. nice and toasty in this house!
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Were having some rolling blackouts in Texas and I have my kerosun 10 burning.
I only had 1 blackout for about 1 hour this morning.

Watching the news this afternoon and all the unprepared people crying made me glad I prep.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I was standing in front of a torpedo heater today and noticed that even with ULSD is still has a lot of soot. The heater was pointed at a piece of machinery that was frozen and the whole side was black. I guess ULSD is kinda dirty even without the sulfur.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I've read this entire post and there was some mention of CO detectors. School me on how you can use a kerosene heater in your house without dying. I would like to get one for supplemental heat. Like when I'm running low on wood and get hit with a cold spell.

I was looking at this Dyna-glow heater at lows.  Is this what your using?

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've read this entire post and there was some mention of CO detectors. School me on how you can use a kerosene heater in your house without dying. I would like to get one for supplemental heat. Like when I'm running low on wood and get hit with a cold spell.

The lowes dynaglo is the heater I was using at the beginning of this thread. When its burning correctly, it doesn't put out significant amounts of CO. They are very safe and have been used in houses for generations.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I am not totally sure why, but my little radiant heater is burning much cleaner than before. I am still running 50/50. At first I was pretty disappointed. Now its burning as clean or cleaner than my big dynaglo. No smell at all running. I am very happy with it.

The radiant isn't a heat monster like the dynaglo, but it works great for keeping the temps warmer than we normally keep them and keeping the furnace from needing to run.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 3:26:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

TJ did what I thought was a really good write-up some time ago (maybe last winter?) on why some devices produced more CO than others.  Had to do with the completeness of the burn IIRC.  Try searching the archives, or maybe he'll drop in here and fill us in...

-Slice

Link Posted: 2/9/2011 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

look on craigslist, these things sell for cheap and pretty much dont wear out. was like -10 last night here in chillinois, 23k dura-heat kept 1000sq ft 75*. CO detector never goes off, i do crack a window like 1/4". from what i read most of america used kero heaters like "perfection" as primary heat. these new heaters are far more effective.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#49]

I picked this up last weekend at the swap meet for $30.  Works great so far but I do need to pick up some replacement wicks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n623/FortyCalMikey/bcd69eba.jpg

I picked this up last weekend at the swap meet for $30.  Works great so far but I do need to pick up some replacement wicks.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Check Miles Stair's wick shop. The ones at lowes/homedepot/etc. are mostly junk and don't wick properly.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top