User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]
When it's necessary, it's necessary.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Going grey is not only a matter of appearance among strangers - it may also be a way of life for neighbors in a political or social 'tide change' that becomes hostile to your religion, political affiliation, or both.

For example - going 'grey' for the Tutsis meant chanting the same Hutu power slogans and waving machetes to 'act' out the part of a partisan anti-Tutsi.

Plenty of Eastern Europeans know what it's like to parrot the 'party line'. So sure, it might not be a bad idea to stock up on Obama or Hillary bumper stickers and dust off the political correct COEXIST and other slogans that just might avert the attention of some future Inquisition looking for 'heretics' or "deniers".

We tend to thing about SHTF where there is a lack of civility, a lack of government, where a mob means it's a free fire zone. But what happens when the mob IS the government or operating in tacit agreement with the powers that be? That's when self-defense can mean a death sentence (where if you open fire justly you'd have to declare personal war on the whole local security apparatus..... or flee immediately.)

Our ancestors knew that it was organization that gave us the edge over Indians - man to man they were equals to any white man in warfare. But our ancestors excelled in organization and logistics.

Today's gray man needs to not just worry about flying under the radar, he or she needs to be actively engaged in networking and local leadership - and keeping these informal associations and groups of friends likewise off the radar until it's politically expedient to rise up (as in winning some low hanging fruit in a primary) etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Good, common sense, fantasy absent, post, JAB!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#4]
It is never a bad thing to blend in but I think too many over think it.  I think the importance of it varies greatly depending on the situation, time of year and location.  Will people be robbing you after a tornado because you are walking with a backpack, not likely.  Will they rob you after 2 months without power during a major event with no help from daddy .gov, I submit it is very likely.

In the same no power situation are you more likely to get robbed if you carry a Multicam assault pack versus a Kelty hiking pack, I don't think it will matter one bit, you'll likely be a target either way.  Same goes if you are wearing a t-shirt and jeans versus a full multicam uniform.  Unless you have superior numbers are better armed and have a tactical advantage I just don't think it will matter what you wear, you'll be attached.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reference Katrina, you didn't have to "have stuff" or weeks of zombies for this topic to be applicable.  That was a hurricane and you had both citizen and police predators.
View Quote

And visible guns got taken away from you when boarding reascue boats (there's a youtube clips floating around) but if you kept your mouth shut, kept your firearm out of sight, no one was the wiser and you managed to catch a ride while still being armed.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Grey to me means living within my means.  Not talking about preps. Not trying to change anyone’s mind into being a survivalist.  I’m an average slightly overweight middle-aged white guy, with grey hair.  I like to wear business casual to work and jeans, cargo’s or shorts in the evenings or on the weekend.  I don’t wear camo. I do have a BFL and NRA on my ‘Taco. I never brag about having stored ‘things’.  When we talk about the recent power outage, I say I own a generator.  My friends know I shoot, my close friends know I put together an AR from a Delton kit.  Most people who me, know I’m a conservative.  Everyone, I believe, would agree that I don’t argue about politics; I’d prefer to hear other people’s views.  I do fly an American Flag frequently. I’m a boring old white dude, that carry’s.  No one would know it or wants to know me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I don't understand why buying a certain look would make you less of a victim if something bad happens.  IMO, it won't matter if you have on a school looking back pack or if you have a molle pack.  If things are that bad, people aren't going to care what sort of pack you have on...they are going to see that you may have something of use in that pack that you are carrying around.  You are going to be a target if something bad happens.

I'm not saying have everything all camo'd looking like a wannabe tactical ninja, but I don't see anything wrong if someone chooses a molle pack as their BO/GHB.

For me, if something bad happens, I'm going to be on high alert and be cautious around any/all people that I encounter on my way home/BOL.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]
"grey" man-when is it necessary ?

when is it not necessary? I try to incorporate the idea into my daily life as much as possible
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ive been seeing lots of talk of preppers changing up and leaning more "grey" man. If you dont know "grey man" is a term used to describe someone who is trying to blend in and not stand or be "memorable" when compared to everyone else. They have been changing out bug out back styles, clothing choices etc. in an attempt to blend in with the rest of society and still maintain a level of preparedness.

What I am curious about is if this is truly necessary or not. Most people do not want to become a target in a shtf situation, they dont want to look like they have it together any more than anyone else. I would imagine that if you have any kind of backpack that is going to tell EVERYONE that you have enough possessions to warrant a backpack, right?

Does it really just come down to the scenario? Long term shtf/wrol would very likely cause people to become very brazen and you would likely see groups/gangs targeting the weak or whoever they could. What about tornado or other natural disaster, is it really going to matter there? I do believe city vs rural could possibly warrant a "grey man" approach.

I personally live outside the city limits of a small kentucky town, nearly everyone outside the city has a garden, many in the city do as well. I am not 100% sure i NEED to swap out my 5.11 Rush 72 for a Kelty Internal framed pack just yet. I plan on avoiding as many people as I can if shtf but i thought the concept was very interesting, any thoughts from you guys? Is "grey man" something you strive for or not?
View Quote
"Gray Man" doesn't protect you after SHTF.

It keeps you from getting listed as a resource to go get food and supplies by the local communists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP3XkqKi9mY   <-- and example of New York State and DHS attempting to get people to snitch out their neighbors.  Buying lots of food is on the list of reasons one should be considered a terrorist.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Safe to say most would agree to go grey man whenever possible then?
View Quote

Yes. I think the only time you might want to do the opposite is if you are rallying people to you. Getting a neighborhood organized to repel looters, it might be helpful to pull on those old sarge stripes, or police uniform like Walking Dead.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Gray Man ----   As opposed to what?     A Delta Force operator lookalike, or an English dandy ?

I would think most of us are of an age and/or maturity level that this comes naturally   ----   This is the age of getting things done !    ,   as the commercial for dong pills so eloquently puts it

biz casual for work, i may slip on my ostritch boots for a saturday night out with the wife, then its workout clothes pretty much any other time anybody sees me --- i drive an F-150, wife an Accord    --- for a guy living in Oklahoma or Texas, i'm pretty "normal"

Unless all other forms of transportation have been crippled --- the pack would normally stay out of sight , out of mind --- i dont plan on hoofing it out of town  ---- if there was no supply of gas, i would be forced to use my horse and a couple of cranky donkeys for transpo and hauling loads i guess --- also par for the course for my region

So while a $500 pair of boots and freshly creased jeans is par for the course in my area , i actually stick out when i visit cousins in Georgia and Louisiana ----   there it seems entirely acceptable to wear Realtree overalls and hunting style boots or work boots anywhere you go , but that would seem odd here  in my town -- but business casual is business casual anywhere

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Crook mindset:

-does he have what I want
-do I want to just hurt this victim over race/perceived injustice
-can I win this
-am I going to get caught

Address those points and you will have a better chance at escaping harm. The easiest solution is don't go it alone. Even if you do look like a tacti-fool, having a friend or two with you will deter most crooks.

People forget that the "outdoors/shooter" norm isn't the norm. Even a crackhead has seen the Bourne, jack bauer, bond, etc films. Your tritium watch, Rolex, clip knife, para cord bracelet, operator b-ball hat, molon labe t-shirt, tactical pants and desert boots are clues to your persona. Will you be avoided in fairly normal times? You will probably be assumed to be LE if you look the part and know the body language.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]
24/7.  That's the safe bet.  Why play your hand when you can let others play theirs first?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top