Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/5/2010 9:20:57 AM EDT
Well Greece is falling. Bonds dropped to junk status last week and Spain and Portugal had their bonds downgraded. Both Countries are having their credit reviewed again and it looks like both will get downgrades. The German Election is next week and the people of Germany don't want to fund the bailout of Greece. Scary thing is Portugal and Spain will also have to kick in to bail Greece out and they can't afford it. The U.S. is also part of the bailout through their contributions to the IMF. The IMF has also said it's in need of reserves to handle the coming crises.  Time to double check all preps as time is getting short. The world wide banking crisis of 2008 is going to lead to a world wide sovereign debt crisis. I hope I'm wrong but prudence says prepare.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget China.  There is more trouble there than meets the eye...
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You know what I keep seeing?  Every time we get a "this is IT" scare, the government(s) keep funding it away, staving off the inevitable for a little longer.  Which freaks me out even more than if they just let something happen.  Getting it over with NOW would be a lot better in the long run than just building up the house of cards till it crashes.  Because when it DOES crash, it's going to be worldwide, it's going to be massive, and it's going to set off a chain of events that I think will lead to armageddon.  

It's like pretending you don't have cancer.  You can take pain pills and ignore stuff as much as possible, until the day you drop dead from it.  If you'd just said "yep, I've got cancer, lets get this chemo started," you may have had a chance at survival.

Batten down the hatches, lads.  BOHICA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Massive debts will lead to a war as a way to relieve themselves of that debt. You don't have to pay if you win.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The civil unrest in Greece is starting to ratchet up:

Bank Burned

How long before this starts happening in the other at risk European countries?

How long before we see it here?
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#5]
When people say..." this nothing but history repeating itself.....it's happened before....and it worked out fine."

You ever just wanna smack 'em in the fore head and say..." show me when."

The economy is truely global....wether we want it to be or not.....this has never happened before.

Our gov't income (taxes) for the year....for the first time in history.....will not cover the intrest on our loans from the global community.

This will be reviewed at the beginning of the next fiscal year....and we will lose our "top-notch" credit rating......which adds % points to our loans.

The gov't payroll has exceeded the manufacturing payroll...in this country.... for the first time in history.

We have the largest % of people on welfare and disability....than ever before in history.

This is the crap that scares the living hell out of me.

If you have any fore thought at all......don't wait to start playing the part of the ant....because when the cards are down....

FUCK THE GRASSHOPPER!
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree, I think things will become more and more interesting on the financial fronts.  Keep an eye on your fuel costs, keep an eye on your supply chains.

Get your large purchases of materials done ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Spain's situation is worse than Greece+Portugal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
All true and a recent article on Bloomberg says China my crash in 9-12 months, Given their political structure I think they have the best chance to avoid problems but maybe not. Big test is if the Germans step up with the cash. If not the world will change by next week as country after country defaults.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been a gloom and doomer for 20 years but I'm telling you boys it's just around the corner.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When people say..." this nothing but history repeating itself.....it's happened before....and it worked out fine."

The economy is truely global....wether we want it to be or not.....this has never happened before.

Our gov't income (taxes) for the year....for the first time in history.....will not cover the intrest on our loans from the global community.

This will be reviewed at the beginning of the next fiscal year....and we will lose our "top-notch" credit rating......which adds % points to our loans.

The gov't payroll has exceeded the manufacturing payroll...in this country.... for the first time in history.

We have the largest % of people on welfare and disability....than ever before in history.

If you have any fore thought at all......don't wait to start playing the part of the ant....because when the cards are down....

FUCK THE GRASSHOPPER!

This has happened before. We ended up with depression and world war. The last one ended with nukes. The next one may start with nukes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Along these lines, look at this... There is NO WAY IN HELL this can EVER be repaid.

These countries are affectionately refered to as the 'PIIGS'

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/weekinreview/02schwartz.html

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody here check Zero Hedge?  They had a very interesting article in the mix today.
Gold going to $5000

Talk about economic "oh shit!"
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Massive debts will lead to a war as a way to relieve themselves of that debt. You don't have to pay if you win.

That is what im afraid of .
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't worry, there is time left for us in the US, as the .gov has ~10 TRILLION to "seize" from 401K accts not including IRAs... And BELIEVE me, they WILL!

With some .gov sugar on top, the Sheeple will willingly hand over their dough and jump up and down and cheer the greedy polititians who steal it from them, -like always. Like many here...

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=36823
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
this is actually helping the US, at least temporarily.  greece show's the weakness in the EU, subsequently making the dollar look a whole lot better - the euro is below what many considered the breaking point or at least the OH SHIT point of 1.28.  part of the reason we haven't totally collapsed or been abandoned by the rest of the world is that, although we are borrowing and printing our way into oblivion, the rest of the world looks pretty damn shitacular.  if more countries were on solid ground we'd be toast.  

don't get me wrong, eventually we'll spiral down the turd bowl as well, just not until many others have done so first.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't worry, there is time left for us in the US, as the .gov has ~10 TRILLION to "seize" from 401K accts not including IRAs... And BELIEVE me, they WILL!

With some .gov sugar on top, the Sheeple will willingly hand over their dough and jump up and down and cheer the greedy polititians who steal it from them, -like always. Like many here...

+1
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You know what I keep seeing?  Every time we get a "this is IT" scare, the government(s) keep funding it away, staving off the inevitable for a little longer.  Which freaks me out even more than if they just let something happen.  Getting it over with NOW would be a lot better in the long run than just building up the house of cards till it crashes.  Because when it DOES crash, it's going to be worldwide, it's going to be massive, and it's going to set off a chain of events that I think will lead to armageddon.  

It's like pretending you don't have cancer.  You can take pain pills and ignore stuff as much as possible, until the day you drop dead from it.  If you'd just said "yep, I've got cancer, lets get this chemo started," you may have had a chance at survival.

This..
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on Pestilence.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]
It's gettin ugly!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

roger that
the .gob has no intention of paying anyone back, much less china.
I am going against everything that I believe and am removing as much of my retirement as possible and burying another form of it somewhere safe.
I also feel that insurances and any other form of investments will go bye-bye
currencies are going to take a shit - they may change the color from green to red - 30:1, 100:1 - and make the green illegal to use
.....sure is one way to distribute the wealth
governments will soon follow and take a shit.....
nukes may prevail leaving only cockroaches and ACOGs.

I am not a tin-foil-hatter ^ but,
there may be more to the Mayan Calender than meets the eye........

(eta) the only hope that we have is to get the bumbs out and hopefully slow/stop/reverse the damage.
(eta2) don't mean to hijack - important
Hawaii (D) is having a special election 5/22. The best man Charles Djou is out front. It's ugly.
please help us take our Country back.
mahalo
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone here said it best. . .  and I quote "All I hear is blah blah blah buy more ammo
blah blah blah buy more food blah blah blah buy more guns."
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Someone here said it best. . .  and I quote "All I hear is blah blah blah buy more ammo

do you think everything going to be OK?....really?....I hope....but only give it a 50/50 @ best.....that's optimistic.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Someone here said it best. . . and I quote "All I hear is blah blah blah buy more ammo

You know, thats really all we can do as average middle class Americans. Stay vigilant and stay prepared. Have a plan ready if everything does go to hell and you wake up to riots here in the U.S.  I really dont want to see that happening here, but I really see no other end to the game the current leaders are playing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Someone here said it best. . . and I quote "All I hear is blah blah blah buy more ammo

You know, thats really all we can do as average middle class Americans. Stay vigilant and stay prepared. Have a plan ready if everything does go to hell and you wake up to riots here in the U.S.  I really dont want to see that happening here, but I really see no other end to the game the current leaders are playing.

well said.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#25]
the markets are down across the board due to the EU
except gold.

for the past couple of years, the markets have moved in tandem - all being manipulated.
soon, the emperor will have no clothes, and precious metals will seek their own levels.
recently, they are starting to behave independently.........
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying, It seems incessant at times but lets look at the problem.

1. Our financial system nearly collapsed.

2. Every country has spent huge amounts of money to prime the pump on their economy.

3. Everyone cannot export their way out of this mess which is what people are trying to do.

4. The bail out was a temporary stay of execution.

5. The toxic assets the banks had are still on their books.

6. The banks went from a market to market model which values the asset at a fair market value to a mark to model method that values the property at some make believe number. In other words the asset the banks have probably cannot be sold on the market for what they value it at.

7.Now given the astronomical levels of debt countries have  and their continued borrowing with no real way to pay the money back some things must be done.

8. Now there are 2 ways to handle this. Restructure the debt or go the bailout route which takes you to restructuring the debt in the end.

9. Impact?

10. Lower standard of living.no economic recovery,high taxes,high cost of everything right down to a glass of water. Chaos like what is happening in Greece today.

11. Now you can take some simple precautions or you can gamble that our society will hold but let me point out that our society is nowhere near as strong and resilient as it was in the Depression. People riot these days when their sports team wins. What do you think will happen when they lose jobs,support and have no hope or future.

12. Now I hope I'm 100% wrong but it's best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying, It seems incessant at times but lets look at the problem.

2. Every country has spent huge amounts of money to prime the pump on their economy.

3. Everyone cannot export their way out of this mess which is what people are trying to do.

6. The banks went from a market to market model which values the asset at a fair market value to a mark to model method that values the property at some make believe number. In other words the asset the banks have probably cannot be sold on the market for what they value it at.

7.Now given the astronomical levels of debt countries have  and their continued borrowing with no real way to pay the money back some things must be done.

8. Now there are 2 ways to handle this. Restructure the debt or go the bailout route which takes you to restructuring the debt in the end.

9. Impact?

10. Lower standard of living.no economic recovery,high taxes,high cost of everything right down to a glass of water. Chaos like what is happening in Greece today.

11. Now you can take some simple precautions or you can gamble that our society will hold but let me point out that our society is nowhere near as strong and resilient as it was in the Depression. People riot these days when their sports team wins. What do you think will happen when they lose jobs,support and have no hope or future.

12. Now I hope I'm 100% wrong but it's best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

And my family still look at me like im a loon. They have no idea whats happening overseas and dont want to know.....ARGH !!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9. Impact?

And my family still look at me like im a loon. They have no idea whats happening overseas and dont want to know.....ARGH !!!!

I concur.
it's not that we are crazy, we are just outnumbered!

I pray that we are wrong.
I want to grow old, spend my retirement, hand down my "estate" to my heirs......
live the American life.
but the way that things are being rammed through, the corruption is too great to stop
so far, everything that they hint at gets passed.
all signs point negative. it's designed to collapse

as far as America pulling out of a depression because we did it in the past?

during the depression,
the dollar was backed by gold
America's manufacturing was over 70 percent
Americans saved

now,
the dollar isn't
we consume over 70%, we are a "service" nation
our consumer debt is crushing

hate to say it, but things are not the same
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#30]
The green economy boom and green jobs will save us.  California's governor and the President both say so.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9. Impact?

I concur.
it's not that we are crazy, we are just outnumbered!

I pray that we are wrong.
I want to grow old, spend my retirement, hand down my "estate" to my heirs......
live the American life.
but the way that things are being rammed through, the corruption is too great to stop
so far, everything that they hint at gets passed.
all signs point negative. it's designed to collapse

as far as America pulling out of a depression because we did it in the past?

during the depression,
the dollar was backed by gold
America's manufacturing was over 70 percent
Americans saved

now,
the dollar isn't
we consume over 70%, we are a "service" nation
our consumer debt is crushing

hate to say it, but things are not the same

Also....back then, more people lived in rural areas where they raised much of their own food.  Now large populations are concentrated in cities and get their food from a store.  We also did not have a huge entitlement class of people who cannot make it without someone else doing for them.  Back then it was "root little piggie or die".  Back then, people believed that FDR was going to save the country.  Today, more and more are waking up to the belief that BHO is going to ruin the country.

Now for some parallels.....Then, as now, we have a socialist President bent on making huge changes to the country.  Then, as now, the President believes that spending huge sums of money will fix the problem.  Then, as now, the President rammed through a huge new entitlement(SS and Obamacare).  
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Al Sharpton: We Won’t Have True Social Justice Until Everything Is ‘Equal in Everybody’s House’

http://www.breitbart.tv/al-sharpton-we-wont-have-true-social-justice-until-everything-is-equal-in-everybodys-house
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK THE GRASSHOPPER!

This has happened before. We ended up with depression and world war. The last one ended with nukes. The next one may start with nukes.

I was going to say that it happened to Rome.  They held half the world in endless war, more and more people were on the dole... it got to the point that Rome couldn't pay or conquer its way out of the mess.  Hello dark ages and feudalism,  good times.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#34]
This is some scary shit...
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 4:35:44 AM EDT
[#36]
As I cop I am wholy ignorant on Financial issues and what makes it tick. Some of you seem much more versed in this department. While I see bad times a commin I would like to understand more. I guess it might be time to step up the preping
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 4:58:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on Pestilence.

Not quite how it goes but we get the general idea :)
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
As I cop I am wholy ignorant on Financial issues and what makes it tick. Some of you seem much more versed in this department. While I see bad times a commin I would like to understand more. I guess it might be time to step up the preping

Hello,

Step up the prepping especially if you have a family. As violent crime picks up, you are going to be busy on the job and your family is going to be home. It is best if the wife doesn't have to drag the kids through the riots in order to get dinner or toilet paper.

people that still have jobs will become targets. Train the wife in how to use a weapon.

If you aren't married, then disregard all after hello.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#40]
The chair is against the wall.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yahoo Finance has a neat little blog every morning "Ten Things You Need to Know Befiore the Opening Bell"
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-Things-You-Need-To-Know-siliconalley-2707323418.html?x=0

I read it every morning, it's been very relevant (I'm in the financial industry).

Thanks for the heads up on that site.  I'm in the Financial Industry too.  I like to check out the Market Ticker and Zero Hedge for a lot of the "macro" economic issues and implications.  Those tend to impact the "micro" or personal economy fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep,

And "John has a long mustache"

The clock is a ticking!

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#45]
I like reading Zero Hedge.

Market Ticker, Denninger provides good education once you filter though his rant which seems to repeat every third day.....

Very scarey times ahead.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Also the Fan is plugged in and dump trucks are dumping manure at the fan. The fat lady is warming up her vocal cords and will be on stage shortly.

Oh crap the Libor rate has gone up again. It's up 1.5 basis point from yesterday.

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Denninger has pointed out that it is extremely difficult to predict when the wheels will come off, and when they do come off, it will happen very quickly (there won't be time to react after the fact). Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Denninger has pointed out that it is extremely difficult to predict when the wheels will come off, and when they do come off, it will happen very quickly (there won't be time to react after the fact). Plan accordingly.

I agree - tanks are topped off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Gas is $3.03/9 up here, as of last night, for 87 octane unleaded.

Our regular unleaded is $2.95/gallon for 87.  I normally fill up with non-ethanol unleaded 87 and that's going for $3.04/gallon as of last night.

I read somewhere else a couple days ago that they were paying 1.5 Euros per liter for gas in some part of Europe (I forget where).  Maybe someone else can do the detailed math, but my rough calculations at the time showed that to be the equivalent of $7.98/gallon.  Good thing they've got a real public transportation system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top