BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody know how to preserve chives besides dehydrating? I have some to do this weekend.

Seems to me you could put them in olive oil and have something that was both decorative and tasty.  Ihad some sun-dried tomatoes that I stored in olive oil, they lasted for years.

You could try putting some, with maybe a cayenne or two, in to a jar of straight vinegar as well to make a nice treat to sprinkle on top of greens.

TRG

our resident chef in another thread warned people about that
infusing olive oil/storing in olive oil can sometimes lead to spoiling.
my garlic infused olive oil was rather "energetic" when it spoiled

If I remember right you only infuse olive oil to use within a few days, not so much on long term
and Dimmu thanks for the regular updating, you have some serious skill
makes my garden spot look terrible

Thanks I'm learning as I go. Where are your pics? We can't help without pics and info man
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to swing by and take a look.

I will probably end up going this route for things I can't cultivate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I need to swing by and take a look.

I will probably end up going this route for things I can't cultivate.

Shoot me a PM. We will be glad to have you come by.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The plants are coming up good and transplants are taking nicely to the gardens.
Had to replace a couple of seeds that failed to sprout. Also the cucumbers, squash
and cantaloupes have sprouted. We also installed a sprinkler to the new garden.

I'm going to thin the purple hulls friday.

Link Posted: 4/11/2013 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The plants are coming up good and transplants are taking nicely to the gardens.
Had to replace a couple of seeds that failed to sprout. Also the cucumbers, squash
and cantaloupes have sprouted. We also installed a sprinkler to the new garden.

I'm going to thin the purple hulls friday.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN0204_zpsc87b8878.jpg

Why thin them?  I planted mine in a bed and walked away. Random spacing from the tiller.

Since they are legumes, they get their nitrogen from the air, so a little over crowding should not be an issue in that rich soil of yours.

I am going to drag you, kicking and screaming, away from making pretty rows.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty rows was not my intention. I'm just trying to plant the way they say to do it.
I've deviated before and the results were mediocre. Take the broccoli last season. I planted
them too tight and I think they would've done a better harvest if they were spaced right. With
that said I know some plants can take it. Is this one? They are planted a little tight.

What do you think? This is the thickest area.

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Last nights storm didn't hurt any plants but it did give us 2 3/4 inches of rain in two hours.
While checking the plants I noticed we have new sprouts. The watermelon, okra, lima beans
and kentucy wonders are coming up.

I can't wait to see the garden when I get back. We're going fishing this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Have fun fishing. That storm should get here about 2200hrs and not leave until Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have fun fishing. That storm should get here about 2200hrs and not leave until Sunday morning.

I hope you get nothing but rain and no hail brother.

ETA= Thanks for the hope of good fishing. We will be in the gulf monday.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pretty rows was not my intention. I'm just trying to plant the way they say to do it.
I've deviated before and the results were mediocre. Take the broccoli last season. I planted
them too tight and I think they would've done a better harvest if they were spaced right. With
that said I know some plants can take it. Is this one? They are planted a little tight.

<a href="http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/DimmuDrotinn/media/DSCN0207_zps3202ea90.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN0207_zps3202ea90.jpg</a>

Are those your peas? Beans?

I walked though my garden today,  I thought about your peas.  Mine really are 'hodge podge'.  Some plants at 12" away from their neighbor, others 1" away.

I really can not see any visible difference in growth, foliage, height, color in the entire bed.

I will take a tape measure out there tomorrow and take pics to show you what I mean.  

TRG
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/DimmuDrotinn/media/DSCN0207_zps3202ea90.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN0207_zps3202ea90.jpg</a>

I walked though my garden today,  I thought about your peas.  Mine really are 'hodge podge'.  Some plants at 12" away from their neighbor, others 1" away.

I really can not see any visible difference in growth, foliage, height, color in the entire bed.

I will take a tape measure out there tomorrow and take pics to show you what I mean.  

TRG

with most beans, peas, lettuce, greens, etc., i just plant in two ft wide rows. thin 'em if they need it, don't if they don't. brassicas, peppers, tomatoes need a little more room. it's kinda nice to give stuff away by the bushel.

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

with most beans, peas, lettuce, greens, etc., i just plant in two ft wide rows. thin 'em if they need it, don't if they don't. brassicas, peppers, tomatoes need a little more room. it's kinda nice to give stuff away by the bushel.  

Every day I am carrying a full armload of radishes to my chickens,

they look like your avatar hen I toss them in the coop now.

These 'wide rows' of radishes and other vegetables are going nut here.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

TRG
i was gonna set out my tomatoes tomorrow, but we're supposed to have another freeze thursday-friday. i'll have to content myself with cleaning those 40 sand bass we caught today.....

eta: i usually just plant enough radishes to mark my rows as they'll come up first. saves room for stuff i'm actually gonna eat.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG
i was gonna set out my tomatoes tomorrow, but we're supposed to have another freeze thursday-friday. i'll have to content myself with cleaning those 40 sand bass we caught today.....
eta: i usually just plant enough radishes to mark my rows as they'll come up first. saves room for stuff i'm actually gonna eat.  

Supposed to touch the upper 30s for us mid-week.  90s today.

Weird Spring.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If that is broccoli, It is probably too tightly packed.   I do have some broccoli planted in some tubs, off the ground, and I will thin some of them, but leave another with tight/random spacing and see if there is a difference in output from them.

Here are the peas, they do not care how tightly packed.  And, from what I can see, they seem to prefer to be very densely packed/planted.

This is the end of the row/bed .. same patch, but fewer plants.  The areas where they are denser are already blooming and the plants are twice as tall...

TRG
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
TRG that is pink eye purple hulls bush style.

ETA: Not bush style. I was thinking of another plant.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]
We got 1.55 inches of rain while we were gone and the plants are doing great.
Except the blue lake green beans have a few plants that don't look so good.
What do you think caused this?

Link Posted: 4/16/2013 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/DimmuDrotinn/media/DSCN0331_zps193ca841.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN0331_zps193ca841.jpg</a>

I'll take "Those aphids in the picture are the cause" for 1000.

Mr. Clean will solve the problem.

Looks like you are on the verge of an infestation, too, btw.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/DimmuDrotinn/media/DSCN0331_zps193ca841.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/DimmuDrotinn/DSCN0331_zps193ca841.jpg</a>

I'll take "Those aphids in the picture are the cause" for 1000.

Mr. Clean will solve the problem.

Looks like you are on the verge of an infestation, too, btw.

TRG

I didn't see any bugs on them. You might be looking at all the dirt that got kicked up on them from the rain.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Today I fertilized the veggies that recieve it. While out there I found bugs on my purple hulls so I sprayed everything with liquid sevin.
Also some of the tomatos are starting to bloom. Hopefully we get some rain tomorrow so I don't have to water.

The crazy old onions from last falls planting are still growing. A few have decent bases. Gonna let them keep going to see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I think TRG is right, it looks kind of like my okra did last year when the aphids went to town, but they aren't particularly stealthy, they'd be pretty easy to see.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Today I fertilized the veggies that receive it. While out there I found bugs on my purple hulls so I sprayed everything with liquid sevin.
Also some of the tomato's are starting to bloom. Hopefully we get some rain tomorrow so I don't have to water.

The crazy old onions from last falls planting are still growing. A few have decent bases. Gonna let them keep going to see what happens.

It has been my experience the Sevin will knock the blossoms off of tomato plants. Just my .02
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Today I fertilized the veggies that receive it. While out there I found bugs on my purple hulls so I sprayed everything with liquid sevin.
Also some of the tomato's are starting to bloom. Hopefully we get some rain tomorrow so I don't have to water.

It has been my experience the Sevin will knock the blossoms off of tomato plants. Just my .02

My mother and father were Community College professors.  One of their friends taught Horticulture.  He had a saying about Sevin dust that sticks with me to this day...

"You know why they call it 'Sevin' Dust?  Be because it only lasts for about 7 minutes in full sun..."

He never put much stock in Sevin dust.  I have some, but, I have not found it to do anything to stop bugs

My dad made himself pretty sick with it once.  Got it in a bag, decided to dust down his rows, and was downwind of the powder.  Got a pretty good couple of lung fulls and it put him down for a few days..

TRG
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#24]
TRG, what variety of peas are those in the last picture you posted?
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#25]
For your sake I really hope I am wrong but it looks like fusarium wilt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
TRG, what variety of peas are those in the last picture you posted?

All three pics, of mine, are "alaska early".

I think the package is still tied to the marking stake.

Frost hardy.

Update.  Checked for the seed packet. No luck. Stake is marked as Alaska early. I also marked them a heirloom to remind me to save some got seed.

Also they are knee high now.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#27]
This weekend we replanted the herb garden and added some in the front yard.

Before

After

We got 2 1/2 lbs of brussels out of that harvest.

Boxes in the front yard.

The wife wanted strawberries so

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Everything is coming up nicely.

Cantaloupes

Onions are still going.

Some of the peppers

Okra

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Did a soil test on the new garden and I've got a problem. The ph is 8.0 so I bought a couple of bags of
aluminum sulfate to bring that number down. With that said, have any of you applied this before? I'm
thinking of only applying a third of the recommendation, away from the plant bases, down the middle
of the beds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's an idea for you Keurig owners. Peel the foil off the top of the used Kcup, save the grounds for the gardens,
the filter for the compost and the cup itself for seed starting. All you would need is a tray to put them in. We have
already begun saving some for the next season.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Not much to report on the garden. It's growing ok. I think it will do better when I get the ph fixed.
We did plant some fruit trees in the front yard and planted some more herbs.

The little trees from left to right, apple ,apple and a cherry tree. Blueberry plants are closer to the road where the white spikes are.

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Are those green poles by the okra for trying the plants to?
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are those green poles by the okra for trying the plants to?

Yea they are bamboo. I thought they would help train them on to the fence. I have a cage set up behind it to keep the critters off hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Started picking peas out of mine over the weekend.  Knee high bed.

Thought about your harvest picks.

Then I thought, "Hey, Dimmu...neener-neener, I got peas!"

TRG
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

TRG

Very funny.

Butthead.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Very funny.

Butthead.

"Don't tug on Superman's Cape..."

TRG
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Very funny.

Butthead.

TRG

You ain't right.

On another note. Do you know anything about using aluminum sulfate around plants.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Very funny.

Butthead.

TRG

You ain't right.

On another note. Do you know anything about using aluminum sulfate around plants.

Nope.

But, I did learn recently to use salt to control the grass around my asparagus, and sulfur powder applied to the soil helps blueberries.

TRG
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Very funny.

Butthead.

TRG

You ain't right.

Nope.

But, I did learn recently to use salt to control the grass around my asparagus, and sulfur powder applied to the soil helps blueberries.

TRG

Who said that you can't teach a old goat new tricks?
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#40]
TRG thanks for the sulfur idea on the blueberries.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#41]
The gardens are going well. The lettuce is really taking off and the tomatos are blooming.
I also harvested some of the mustard seeds today. That is a pain in the butt.
I've also made a flat of plants from the greenhouse to take to a friend tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I have applied the Aluminum Sulfate before and have done it in stages. 1/3 rate mixed in the soil followed up by a PH test approximately 2 weeks later. I discovered that it brought my PH down from about 7.0 to 6.4. I followed by doing another round at 1/3 rate which brought it down to 6.0. I was doing this specifically for Blueberries which as we all know like 4.5 -5.8 PH levels. I have since used a ton of compost mixed with Sulfur to keep on top of the numbers that I achieved. Aluminum Sulfate will almost instantly reduce your soil PH so use it sparingly. I also use lots of Sphagnum Peat Moss as well as composted pine needles/ oak leaves which over time will naturally maintain the levels that I need.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The gardens are going well. The lettuce is really taking off and the tomatos are blooming.
I've also made a flat of plants from the greenhouse to take to a friend tomorrow.

Really?

I just walk down the bed, pull up the dried stalks, rub them over a large metal bowl (2' diameter) and let the seeds and pods fall together.

Wait for a windy day and winnow them using another bowl.

Works pretty well, not much effort.

On your lettuce, I am trying to grow some in the multi-crop rows, and I also started two patches in large plastic pots.  Pots seem to be working best.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have applied the Aluminum Sulfate before and have done it in stages. 1/3 rate mixed in the soil followed up by a PH test approximately 2 weeks later. I discovered that it brought my PH down from about 7.0 to 6.4. I followed by doing another round at 1/3 rate which brought it down to 6.0. I was doing this specifically for Blueberries which as we all know like 4.5 -5.8 PH levels. I have since used a ton of compost mixed with Sulfur to keep on top of the numbers that I achieved. Aluminum Sulfate will almost instantly reduce your soil PH so use it sparingly. I also use lots of Sphagnum Peat Moss as well as composted pine needles/ oak leaves which over time will naturally maintain the levels that I need.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to add it while plants are in. Have you done anything like that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

I just walk down the bed, pull up the dried stalks, rub them over a large metal bowl (2' diameter) and let the seeds and pods fall together.

Wait for a windy day and winnow them using another bowl.

Works pretty well, not much effort.

On your lettuce, I am trying to grow some in the multi-crop rows, and I also started two patches in large plastic pots.  Pots seem to be working best.

TRG

I haven't done lettuce in the garden before. We always did lettuce bowls back at the old house. So as always this is new to me.

The mustard really wasn't that bad...J/K Yes it was
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#46]
TRG I forgot to ask how you keep your seed shoots off the ground. Mine fell over
on top of everything despite my attempts at tying it up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
TRG I forgot to ask how you keep your seed shoots off the ground. Mine fell over

Seed shoots?

For which crop?

Peas?  I dunno, I did not do anything, they are just kinda climbing all over each other.  Still 2' tall.  If they begin to look too crowded, I will put in some posts and twine.  For now, they seem to be ok.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seed shoots?

For which crop?

Peas?  I dunno, I did not do anything, they are just kinda climbing all over each other.  Still 2' tall.  If they begin to look too crowded, I will put in some posts and twine.  For now, they seem to be ok.

TRG

I was talking about the mustard seed. Mine went everywhere but where I wanted it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seed shoots?

For which crop?

TRG

I was talking about the mustard seed. Mine went everywhere but where I wanted it.

Are you sure you are growing mustard?

From what you are describing, it is not mustard.

Mustard (at least the variety I grow) will be a single plant with ping-pong paddle sized leaves.  A mature plant will grow to 3' tall.  they can be trimmed to 2" above ground, and will regrow new growth.  

I can get you some pics tomorrow.  And if you want some seed, IM me.  Send a self addressed, stamped envelope and I will send some seed back to you.as well.  

The variety I grow is effortless and matures in 45 days or so.  Winter hardy Frosts don't both it, but will slow its overall growth.

TRG

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes I have. Just try and get it around the plant and not on the foliage.
Make sure to do a ph test soon after or before repeating the process as you may find that a little bit is enough to reduce the ph to acceptable levels.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top