Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
How did you like the Jeffrey Pine forest between Mammoth and Mono Lake?

One of my favorites.

If you stop and smell the bark, it is reminiscent of butterscotch. Very cool....

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
So we're gonna get a 2am start tomorrow. Did two day hikes the past two days up to lone pine lake. The snow pack is no joke, we've met plenty of people that have made the summit but they all say it's a long slow grind. We're gonna give it our all and see where we end up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope all is well. Awaiting the AAR.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#4]
The mountain won.. we had to stop around 12,500 feet almost at the base of the chute. We had an excellent start at 2am, we put on our crampons at 4am above lone pine lake. 4 hours of slugging through the snow absolutely gassed me, my cousin probably could've pushed further but we decided to be safe and head back down. There were a few people camped out just below the chute (99 switchbacks) and they were saying it was taking people 12 hours to summit then get back to there so we would've been getting back to that point around 8pm and still had to go the rest of the way down the mountain to the portal which would've put us getting back to camp around midnight.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Weigh in, pretty sure it was broke

Lone pine lake

Just behind the lake (taken on the way down)

Mt Thor, I think
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Approaching the chute, just to the right is where the people were camped out

The view from where we stopped

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Lot of snow.  That camping spot next to the stream is beautiful.  Eastern Sierras are about as good as it gits.

Go to the Alabama Hills cafe!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the home fries, not the hash browns.  Get one of the dishes with a whole lot of everything.  Get a side of B&G.

Even though it's California, they have wall hanger guns.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lot of snow.  That camping spot next to the stream is beautiful.  Eastern Sierras are about as good as it gits.

View Quote
Lol we ate at the cafe 3 times, got breakfast there this morning
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a man amongst men! Super jealous!

What'd you get
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]
This years conditions were against you from the beginning. We have all back off stuff that is too hard / over our head. No shame in living to try another day.

One of the most important things in mountaineering / outdoor adventuring is to know when to back off. So… Good for You! For trying, recognize this and acting appropriately!

Hey…. you got to learn some new things, got in to better shape and saw cool stuff along the way.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Oops double tap
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
How long are you staying in the area?  Time to check out some more places?

Death Valley up to Mono Lake is some pretty good ground to cover, though.  Did you consider going over the Tioga Pass into Yosemite?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Now train harder and get it next year.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are a man amongst men! Super jealous!

What'd you get
View Quote
This morning I got blueberry pancakes, the other morning I got the Lone Ranger omelette

Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now train harder and get it next year.
View Quote
When I try it again there won't be any snow on the ground
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This years conditions were against you from the beginning. We have all back off stuff that is too hard / over our head. No shame in living to try another day.

One of the most important things in mountaineering / outdoor adventuring is to know when to back off. So… Good for You! For trying, recognize this and acting appropriately!

Hey…. you got to learn some new things, got in to better shape and saw cool stuff along the way.
View Quote
I'm happy with where I got to, it being my first time and all. The guy at the gear store said folks were having about a 20% success rate. I will definitely be back at some point.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When I try it again there won't be any snow on the ground
View Quote
Well that just kills all the fun. There's no challenge then.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well that just kills all the fun. There's no challenge then.
View Quote
I just want to make it to the top now, I have a personal vendetta
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Like they say, discretion is the better part of valor. I'd never want to be the one who had to get SAR out on the mountain because of bad judgment on my part. By climbing to 12K feet you've already done something that maybe 2% of the population ever will, and with minimal time for preparation & training. Sounds like you did a good job to me!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just want to make it to the top now, I have a personal vendetta
View Quote
Summit fever can be a deadly affliction.

IMO you did well.The mountain makes the choices and it will always be there to go back to. Choices like the one you and your climbing partner made lead to you being there again too.

I've been to some of CO's highest and remotest peaks in every month of the year and turned back many times. Some of the trips we retreated from the mountain on were some of the most memorable.

Well Done!!

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Like they say, discretion is the better part of valor. I'd never want to be the one who had to get SAR out on the mountain because of bad judgment on my part. By climbing to 12K feet you've already done something that maybe 2% of the population ever will, and with minimal time for preparation & training. Sounds like you did a good job to me!
View Quote
Thank you! I came off the mountain with my pride and body intact, that was my main goal. Think I am going to try scuba diving next
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Get back in there!!!  You just scratched the surface of the Sierra's

Next time go one of the back ways.. either over cottonwood pass or coming from the north, say in at Onion Valley, over Kearsarge Pass then exit Whitney Portal.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top