Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/26/2014 9:09:04 PM EDT
Dont watch much for hunting shows havent in years dont really care for what they represent. Was laid up sick for a few days so watched quite a bit of hunting shows and I really shouldnt be surprised but I was surprised on how every single show was a huge douchie infomercial for some gimmicky crap.

Who buys all this junk?

(Post season mini rant over)

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't watch them and don't buy the junk. My hunting consist of my natural scent, some OLD camo, the old military camo, and my .308. I'm good to 600yds with hoping for 1000 this summer. So nope we are all not that tarded and don't all buy that crap. Those Channels are simple "reality" tv for hillbillies. But to each their own I say just keep guns in the hands of responsible Americans!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Coastal mountain range of Oregon. Marpat. .300 win mag. Scent and UV block detergent and deodorant. Good scope, know your dope.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
P.S.
If I see a spike. In the heart. Meat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in the day guys dressed head to toe in red/black plaid - while standing on the ground - managed to kill a shitload of deer without pouring piss on themselves.  And they dragged those dead deer out of the woods without the aid of a camo 4 x 4 golf cart.  Fucking miraculous.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The only scent control crap I own is a scentblocker outfitter jacket and only bought that cause it was dirt cheap. Dont really like it when its COLD the lining is loud as all hell.

A newer hunter was telling me how he just got ozonics lol
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My idea of hunting clothes are blue jeans and flannel shirts. Unless it's cold. Then I throw my Carhart bibbies on over the jeans. I have an orange jacket that I wear. I hate cheap vests so I only wear them if it's very warm or very cold, over a parka.

Scent control is through the washing machine a couple times with no soap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You know that they say about hunting shows. It 99% of them ...

ruin it for the other 1%.

I used to record a few episodes of every hunting show. Then I'd watch and keep recording only the ones I liked. Out of a couple dozen shows, I only liked about 5 enought to watch. Now that I've ditched DTV, I only miss couple of them and not very much at that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#9]
yep,  it's the combo of "look at me" and "buy this shit because it's great because they paid for the trip and for me to say it".

Sure I like a nice big buck but a doe eats just as well.   I can't go getting all pretentious about hunting.

With the prolliferation of the self made videos it's even hokier now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I quit watching most them about 5 years ago. I still watch predator hunting shows when I see them on. Modern hunting shows are basically one big commercial.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#11]
The only shows I can watch is On Your Own Adventures and his new show fresh tracks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes most are terrible but there still a few good ones out there.  Heartland bowhunter and Meateater are the only ones I watch.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#13]
My SO's Dad is a sponsored hunter in MO and may or may not have his own show now (I really don't know).

He doesn't leave the house with less than $3,500 worth of gear.

I've killed plenty of big deer in my old Carhartt's by just playing the wind.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#14]
We have friends and family who own farms next to some of the biggest names in the industry some of the crap they do A big outfitter next to some friends of mine just got busted for a bunch of illegal stuff lol
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have to agree with the common theme in all these responses
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Those shows are just on to make a dime. I hunt with basic ScentLok camo and take a shower prior to walking to the stand. Use a Steyr 7mm Magnum or a Remington 700 30-06 depending on what stand I use. Don't buy into all the BS that these shows portray. Everyone is not lucky enough to have 400 acres with a fence around it all and breed these Monster Bucks that they shoot on the shows.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#17]
The husband of a co-worker went to Texas to hunt on one of farms used by one of the shows.  His wife videoed "the hunt".  It consisted of getting in a blind in a cattle field.  There were some big deer there, along with lots of cattle walking by.  The deer were attracted by the cattle feeders.  They were cautioned that if they shot a cow, they would pay for it.

About 45 minutes into "the hunt", he was told to shoot a 12+ point buck about 100 yards out.  Using a .300 Win.Mag, he dropped it with one shot.  Hunt was over, time to drive back to Tennessee.  The wife told me it was a very unsatisfying experience.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#18]
if Tampax was paying my bills so I could hunt all over North America and chase animals I could never ever pay to see in the wild, I would have their tampons hanging off my gun, bow and skull cap.
but I do agree, they will let anyone and any sponsor have a show these days.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Simple ads pay for the show, just like ads pay for this site, but I must admit that some of the crap that they are pimping is just fat out beyond stupid.
I take the shows for what they are and for what viewers apparently want, and that is to see a big deer down.

My major peeve with the hunting channels is the airing of infomercials during prime time slots. I realize that it is ad revenue but put that crap on in the middle of the night. Those that put it on during prime time piss me off and as such I would never buy anything from them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, there are some dumb deer hunters who always think they need the latest gear.  But no dumber than Tactical Timmies who think they can't live without the latest Magpul geegaw.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
lol...guys shooting .308 rifles bitching about guys buying new gear...

If you're not hunting in clothes you tanned from the hides of animals you killed using the hand built bow, hand built arrows with your own flint napped broadheads, you have absolutely no place to talk about using 'new fangled equipment'.

Let people hunt how they want to hunt.  Live your life and let other people live their lives.  

I don't use or buy most scent cover junk simply because I can't afford to.  I like relying on keeping myself downwind.  That doesn't mean other people shouldn't be able to use whatever they feel works.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back in the day guys dressed head to toe in red/black plaid - while standing on the ground - managed to kill a shitload of deer without pouring piss on themselves.  And they dragged those dead deer out of the woods without the aid of a camo 4 x 4 golf cart.  Fucking miraculous.
View Quote

This man gets it.

That's sig line material right there
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you're not hunting in clothes you tanned from the hides of animals you killed using the hand built bow, hand built arrows with your own flint napped broadheads, you have absolutely no place to talk about using 'new fangled equipment'.

Let people hunt how they want to hunt.  Live your life and let other people live their lives.  

I don't use or buy most scent cover junk simply because I can't afford to.  I like relying on keeping myself downwind.  That doesn't mean other people shouldn't be able to use whatever they feel works.

View Quote

People can use whatever they want but a lot of the stuff being pushed is a total scam and hunting shows should be about hunting not selling shit they have commercials to pay the bills
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

People can use whatever they want but a lot of the stuff being pushed is a total scam and hunting shows should be about hunting not selling shit they have commercials to pay the bills
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So let them scam.  Buyer beware, it's the capitalist way.

The commercials may pay for the air time.  It sure doesn't pay for the hunters time and expenses to go hunt and create the show.  I'm sure you would work for free just to provide a hunting show without pimping sponsors.

Don't watch them if you don't like them.  There's a pretty simple solution to your first world problem.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This man gets it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man gets it.

Sure they killed deer.  So did the indians with hand built bows(as I alluded to in my first post).  Why don't you hunt naked with hand made bows?

If you look at the kill percentages for most states(that I have looked at), the success rate of hunters really jumped up about the late 80's to early 90's.  WI success rate was around 7-12% till the late 80's when it started to steadily climb and has held steady at around 30-40% success for the last 10 years or so.

So by the looks of it, technology is helping hunters be more successful.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sure they killed deer.  So did the indians with hand built bows(as I alluded to in my first post).  Why don't you hunt naked with hand made bows?

If you look at the kill percentages for most states(that I have looked at), the success rate of hunters really jumped up about the late 80's to early 90's.  WI success rate was around 7-12% till the late 80's when it started to steadily climb and has held steady at around 30-40% success for the last 10 years or so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man gets it.

No the deer numbers are a little different now than in the 80's. When I started hunting a doe tag was rare the last 10 years I probably average 5-7 deer a year with a high of 14
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Most of those shows are canned hunts.. Check the ending credits out and go to the web site.

The only thing I worry about is staying warm and awake!

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I own a few that I've watched over and over.  I mainly like to see how the deer move, what they tend to do, etc...

I wish the camera man would show both the hunter and the deer at the time of shot, in the same frame, instead of a close up of the animal.

Every once in a while I catch a show on TV, but really don't care one way or the other now.  I see around 50 deer a year while on stand and public ground, so there isn't much I'm going to learn from a show that primarily talks about what to buy.

I just wash myself and my clothes in Dead Down Wind, fill my vest up with the assentials, shoulder my stand, and go.

The essentials do NOT include scents, but DO include flashlights, rangefinder, rope, extra batteries, food, water, tags, knife, Excedrin, Motrin.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, I must be behind the times.  I wore whatever warm clothes I had that "kind of blended in" and if I poured urine on myself, my dad would have taken me to a headshrinker.

I just learned to hunt a deer, kill it, and dress it, nothing fancy.

Same with Elk and the 1 moose I got.  Kill it, clean it, eat it was our motto.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I use a lot of scent control products and sprays, and know for a fact it makes a difference in how close, how long, and how many times you can get away being close to the deer before you blow up an area.

Can you bag a deer without anything......well of course you can! If the wind never swirled or changed direction, I wouldn't use the scent control at all.

We also hunt differently now. Old timers were brown and down......usually shot the first thing that came along and was happy with that. Very few of us NEED the meat anymore, so we want a mature buck. To get to a mature buck, you have to pass A LOT of deer at close range. Once the does you are passing have caught on to your pressure, they'll bug out and any bucks that get interested in them have little else to do but follow them. It's essential to be able to pass the deer without them ever knowing you are there. Not always possible, but that's the goal. Can't fool their nose, but you can make them think you are much further away, or there and gone a long time ago.

As for the clothing, I never bought into the scent blocking cloths, but own quite a bit because it's DAMN GOOD CLOTHING regardless!!  Old timers with their flannel and jeans froze their asses off and got soaked in the lightest of rains. That crap has nothing on modern hunting clothing like Sitka, Kuiu,, Kryptek, and the better cloths from scentblocker and scentlock. I can hunt all day in a thunderstorm and be bone dry, with no extra goofy and hella loud rain gear needed. Well worth the money for the comfort, and lack of bulk.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I watch them occasionally. I call them "deer like I'll never see shows". I like to watch how deer act in diferent situations.  As far as all the stuff they promote, hey if you can afford it and think it might help you then do what you want. I'm certainly not going to tell you how to spend your money.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I completely agree with the theme of this thread and haven't watch "hunting" shows in years.  Several years ago, the hunting used to at least seem more legitimate or maybe I was just more tolerant to that kind of fake crap.  It's just way too hokey for me now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#34]
This was a long time ago but I really lost interest when Bill Jordans guide used a plane to spot the bull they were after it was fair chase buy the hours between spot and shot but I'd still call it bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...He doesn't leave the house with less than $3,500 worth of gear.....
View Quote

I was just tinkering the my gun room, and that's really not bad. Well guess it depends on what that $3500 gear is. I hunt in either carhatts or cabelas woolitmate, which is nothing fancy, but I'll have close to that $3500 or more in guns and optics. Primary rifle, back up rifle, sidearm, bino's. Now if you exclude guns, that's a lot of shit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Keep my rifle by the back door.  When I see one walk though the yard.....I hunt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#38]
What if find sad is the general lack of excitement when they take a deer that 99% of us will never kill.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What if find sad is the general lack of excitement when they take a deer that 99% of us will never kill.
View Quote

You get excited by someone shooting a pen raised deer in a fenced in enclosure?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You get excited by someone shooting a pen raided deer in a fenced in enclosure?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get excited by someone shooting a pen raided deer in a fenced in enclosure?

Or pay to have an outfitter do all the leg work, you show up with your gear, MAYBE work up a sweat getting to your stand / blind, and within a couple days you whack an above average ( or larger ) sized buck.
And then the outfitter puts the deer on a motorized vehicle and hauls it out for you.

I love how they stare into the camera, talk about how hard they have been hunting these past few days, and how it finally came together !!!

Don't get me wrong.  I'm glad they've found a way to get others to pay for them to be the trigger man and have their mug on TV / Videos...

But they do NOT represent what hunting is.

There is SO much more to it than the trigger squeeze / arrow release.

I have friends who tell me to get over to their house and whack a deer right from their deck.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man gets it.

From what I read, the actual percentage of the population that hunts has taken a huge decline.  Might explain why the success rate is up, by percentage.  Only the more serious and dedicated remain in the field.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I always say you will never see a deer hunting show based here in New England.  We don't have the farms and places to put in "food plots" to hunt over.

Most hunters up here don't own enough land to put in plots and practice "deer Management" to grow the big bucks.

On top of that the self proclaimed "Professional Deer Hunters" like Stan Potts wouldn't know what to do if he had to hunt here under our conditions. He only knows how to hunt from a stand that some one else put up on a controlled area. His "It don't get any better than this" would fast turn into "how do you hunters do it up here?"

EBR666
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#44]
My son watched a husband-wife show on the Sportsman's Channel.  One gut-shot a pronghorn and the other shot one in the ass.

Both of us got the face.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I despise hunting shows and refuse to watch them anymore. Most of them have caused hunters to be ashamed of shooting a "small" buck. And they erroneously lead viewers into believing that if they wait long enough, a B&C buck will walk past. And as you mentioned, they peddle the latest gimmick.
View Quote

I hunt for meat, not trophies. Wear every day clothing... guess you might say I dress casual. Only use camo and scents when varmint calling.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#46]
If you have over 3000 acres with 300 acres of food plots feeders that  are filled year round and trail cameras everywhere that you can check from your  living room is that really fair chase?
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I agree with the majority of this I have to say this.  Back in the day we didn't have nearly as many people.  Nor did we have such a liberal federal government that has closed off large tracts of land to the public.  
Back in the day it was nothing to see several bucks, bulls, sheep, antelope etc etc.  Nowadays many states have a lottery system in place for large game species.  It can take years of entering the draw to get the chance to draw a tag.  
I don't have a problem with guys going out and buying gear that helps them in the taking of a big game trophy or otherwise.  I use scoped rifles, I use a spotting scope, and a few other new fangled gadgets.  

There are is plenty of garbage out there that may or may not work.  I keep my pack weight to a minimum so therefore I don't carry many gadgets or other things.  If I had a quad or side by side I would carry a few more things that might help out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I have to agree with the general theory about deer tv shows . I have a friend who used to go on 2 hunting trips a year . I had the impression it was like shooting a pet .
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have to agree with the general theory about deer tv shows . I have a friend who used to go on 2 hunting trips a year . I had the impression it was like shooting a pet .
View Quote

none of my DIY trips to colorado were like that
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
P.S.
If I see a spike. In the heart. Meat.
View Quote

if its brown its down.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top