Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Your first Cola War (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2022 12:40:26 AM EDT
One thing we all have in common, at some point we attended our first Cola War.

We have stories we tell our friends that haven’t been. We have stories that we tell other Cola Brothers.

In this thread let’s talk about your first time attending a Cola Warrior event.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
First CW was FO2. Showed up, knew no one. Checked in with Blitz and he said to get staged.

Run to the porta-pot quick. Walk in, shut the door and I hear this buzzing sound and 2 fucking wasps hit me right in the bridge of the nose.

Walk out after I cleared the tears out of my eyes. Go run, do awful, got molested by Mitch and then had a great time.

Looked through NV for the first time. Ended up buying a 14 which has morphed into RNVG’s.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
My first was classic 1.  I drove 17 hours to the middle of no where by myself not knowing anyone.

I got down and watched a run and was told my stuff was getting thrown in a bin and would be at the range.  Get to the range and start my shooting.  Get to pistol and there are two mags in the bin and no pistol.  Robert is like...uh what the fuck is wrong with you and hands me his carry gun which I proceed to shoot his mag of hydrashocks.  No abu hajar the bullets for targets not the bullets for people.  

Later we are on the back porch and there is a rave going on or something there is insanity all around and I am handed a delicious pizza roll.  I ask rusted ace where the hell he found these people and he had the biggest smile and says on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew of Cola long before I did one. A friend, IWK, talked to me about it several times. When FlyOver was announced I jumped at the chance of going.

When I showed up to the range I saw some guys hanging out and I asked, "Uh, where's IWK?" One guy said check the range. The other guys said, "Since when do we let Huskers come here?" I knew I was in the right place and I randomly parked my truck somewhere.

At the range I found IWK and a bunch of others watching a ColaGal do her chug. I walked up and said hello to IWK and she immediately threw up and it was quite impressive. People cheered and laughed. I cracked a big smile and said "Welcome to Cola." IWK smiled and said, "Yup. Welcome to Cola. You're running tonight."
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#6]
West 2
Left SoCal Wednesday mid-morning for the 8 hour drive to Sparks, Nevada. That's where I was planning to spend the night before heading up
to the site Thursday morning. Got to Sparks a couple hours after dark and decided, against the warnings of the sponsor, to go ahead and drive up
to the site. For the record, the warnings were "Don't come up tonight, the roads are fucked up. You will get lost. You will get stuck. You probably will slide into
a ditch and piss off my neighbors when you knock on their door asking for help".

OK cool, here we go. After slogging my way up the mountain and questioning my sanity numerous times, there in the headlights is the gate into the unknown.

First time I met Mitch after turning past the gate.

"who are you"
"bajagringo"
"I thought you were staying in town tonight"
"Changed my mind"
"park over there and plan on moving out of the way in the morning, join us at the campfire, we have whiskey."

Life is good at the Cola Wars.

Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#7]
SE1. Didn't know anyone or anything really about it. Made the mistake of wearing a crossfit shirt and larue hat. met kai for the first time as he bandaged my finger after my run.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
West 1, 2015.

Event was Fallout New Vegas themed, and I love that game. Saw that Cola Warrior used exclusively steel targets, and I was just getting MOA Targets off the ground at that point. Offered to bring custom monster themed steel targets for the event. Wasn't sure if I was going to run or not. Told this guy I had met recently at a gun show about it, he shilled some snake oil gun lubs stuff, cherry something. He decided to ride along, he needed to go to Phoenix anyhow.

Lost my voice about half way down on the drive from Reno, wasn't feeling hot. Got in late. Only sorta knew Brandon. Helped set up obstacles and range the next morning.

Don't recall exactly when I ran, but I was feeling terrible by that point, no voice, using my inhaler. Walked everything. Smoked pistol (slower than Art, but apparently faster than everyone else, got a sweet knife), missed one of my own targets while shooting my favorite rifle at the time, a DPMS AR10 with a Vortex on it.

Died that night. Ryan saved me.

On my way to Cola Warrior 5 a couple months later, I stopped in to see the Glenns. They didn't recognize my voice on the phone because it wasn't the gravel of the event. :D

Been here ever since.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:02:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
West 1, 2015.
View Quote

I went to bed early that night because I was driving the 10ish hours back to CO the next day. I only got to see pictures...

West 1 was my first too. I had always seen the threads in GD and wanted to do one. I saw the West thread maybe 3-4 weeks before the event and sent an IM about getting on the list. Got a response that I was in! Left CO on Thursday after work and barely made it to Flagstaff I was so tired. Woke up the next morning and headed to the meeting spot prior to leaving pavement. I didn't know anyone. Met Spunk, Wingnut116ACW, possibly sigchef, and another guy that I remember his face and real name but not screenname. We all convoyed in together.

I don't remember if I ran Friday afternoon or Saturday, but Tweeter ran me. When I was resetting the tire I gave it a hard pull down hill and slammed it into my big toe. I got it reset and kind of limped to the next obstacle. Tweeter made a comment about that looking painful (it was). Clear everything and eat the peeps and run to the range. Cleared rifle quickly and moved to pistol. I was shooting a pretty new FNS9 and just didn't shoot it well. Kept missing the last target and finally got a hit on slide lock of the second mag. Go to chug and I brought a local to me brewery's growler full of root beer and some store brand 8oz can of root beer. Started the chug with the can and moved to the growler. I thought I'd have a leg up as it wasn't as sugary nor as carbonated as store bought. I was wrong. . Never trust a burp when chugging at cola!

Later on I was helping JoshAston and Scarecrow divvy swag up into bags (now that I am thinking about it, this wasn't long before awards...so that means I ran Saturday). Anyway, I notice a bit of red on the top of my shoe so I pulled it off. The toe of my sock was soaked in blood from pulling the tire into my big toe. Josh asked if I did that on my run. I got nervous thinking I was in trouble or something. Turns out a sponsor donated a custom tomahawk that was to be awarded to the person that shed the most blood during their run...sweet! Still have that tomahawk and later had the maker make a knife to match.

Good food and terrible booze later I went to bed and missed Mitch's shenanigans.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#10]
East 3, the struggle was real.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
2012, the one with the blue t-shirts, mud, peeps and pain.

Good times.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#12]
West 1, 2015.

Been here ever since.
View Quote

I was trying to help you not get banned.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Cola Warrior 2    2012     Very hot and Dry.    Got told by my multigun crew that we were going to shoot an event called cola warrior.   Ran in workpants, and was the closest to conexing that I have ever been.    It's been a downhill slide since then.    this year marked 10 cola wars.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By spunk:

I was trying to help you not get banned.
View Quote
You succeeded. Imagine how much different the world might be if you had failed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#15]
West 4 was my first.

I met this chick on tinder and like 3 weeks later she told me she was signing me up for some shooting competition in Reno.
I didn't want to miss any more school than I had to, so we hit the road Wednesday afternoon and drove through the night.
By the time we were getting close to the run site, I was pounding a Redbull every hour to stay awake. We rolled in at 5 am to everyone still sleeping. At 6, while failing to fall asleep, we got asked for some gear to borrow out, and then CaliContractor walked up and told me to get my gear and get ready to run. I ran like 2 hours later, with no sleep, and still vibrating a bit from the Redbull.

I did pretty good on the obstacles, mediocre on the run, and was heckled mercilessly for my trash pistol shooting. Rifle was no problem and I finished it up with getting 4 cans down.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Read about the shenanigans on arfcom from early on. Sometime in 2017/18? I actually committed to going. Ended up driving 6 hours after work, stopping at the house of a complete stranger,  slept in his house and then we drove 8ish hours to some swamp hell in Mississippi. Had a lot of fun, meet some truly phenomenal people that have had a lasting positive impact on my life and ate some really great good. Think that was Classic 2?
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#17]
West I

Need to scare up some pics.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
CW3 in 2013.

Read about the first couple and thought it was definitely my cup of tea. Only problem was distance and funds were tight but when Geissele sponsored with triggers I was able to justify the cost of attending with a free trigger.

I finished a half minute better than halfway through the field, losing the most mediocre award to TheCanuck.

I've hit Liberty, West, Northwest, every Flyover and Heartland. Finished top 10, bottom third, ran day, night, and combat.

Met absoutely great people every time and always look forward to seeing old friends and making new acquaintances despite my antisocial tendencies.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By southerncross:

I remember that
View Quote
I thunk it was the following Classic you would have trouble remembering lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#22]
East 7 for me.

I did pretty fucking well.

Then just ate shit at 9 and 10.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I learned about CW right when texas ended, been waiting awhile

Deep South 1

Showed up, got yelled at to get ready, said nah I'm running nights

Watched Kai sexually assault another noob with a knife, got rained on for 4 hours.

Tore something in my shoulder on Obstacle 1, finished my run, got top night and like 29th overall, shoutout to the folks who sucked more than me.

Also Kai is a jerk for playing Smashing Pumpkins on the party boom while I was chugging, not cool bro
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:20:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ytka] [#26]
CW4 was my first. We showed up at like 3AM and slept until maybe 7. I stumbled out of the truck into the rain and was told to get my shit ready. It was raining at that point. By the time it was my turn, it was flooding. I did what I could on the obstacles then started the run. I saw a big puddle in the road about halfway. I debated whether to go around it or through it. I picked through it and that was a mistake. Apparently waist deep holes in the middle of a road is normal for Mississippi. I got to the range and the targets past 200 yards may as well not been there. It was raining so hard that I couldn’t see them. Those are the only rifle target penalties I’ve had in all of the CW’s I’ve been to. The River of Death was epic that year.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnStoner] [#27]
Didnt know General Discussion existed for the first 10 years I was on arfcom, the first 3 years without an account. Spent all my time in technical, and industry sections (emphasis on NFA / NV).

Had been competing in multi gun/3 gun but it wasn't challenging. Wanted something with physical difficulty and shooting mixed. Discovered GD and noticed an old interest thread about an event that turned out to be 1.5hrs from my home. Got on standby and went blind not knowing anyone or what to expect. Didn't think I'd get to run but sent it anyways.

Wife was 39 weeks pregnant when West 1 kicked off, so I was driving in and out ever day of the event. She was NOT super impressed with my attendance, but I was determined as I often can be.

Showed up with guns, loaded mags, a 6 pack of mtn dew and green peeps. Because they matched . Wore a green make 7 up yours shirt, because soda seemed to be the theme haha. Got to site, got on list, and awaited my turn. Watched the first run by Tweeter where he puked into his hat and left it in place. His display of overhead AK shooting skill impressed all present when he hit one of the 100y rifle targets hadji style . Chatted with Dallas of Cherry Balmz who had a wealth of knowledge and shared it freely and with friendliness. He cleaned and lubed many rifles that weekend, free of charge, to demonstrate what we all know now as Black Rifle Balm, the good stuff!

Surveyed the obstacle list taped to the portapotty. Individual sheets of paper printed out, all labeled obstacle 4.

Chatted with Spunk who turned out to be a pretty cool dude, and still friends to this day. Mingled with a few others but mostly kept to myself.

Ran Friday
Obstacle 4: a tractor tire brought uphill 30 feet, then reset - dont roll it down and lose control or you have to chase it!
Obstacle 4: 2 kettle bells tied to a 25ft rope that had to be drug across a line and reset.
Obstacle 4: push a 4 wheeler uphill 15-20 feet
Obstacle 4: low crawl 20 feet under ropes with 12oz cans hanging on hooks in a creek bed (Penalty for my foot lightly tapping a can, dangit!)
Obstacle 4: traverse a wobbly steel beam using hands only - cliff hanger style
AK/Peep where I sliced my trigger finger open on a knife while opening the package of peeps (crap)
Run and arrive at the range
Brought a MK12 Mod1 and HK USP Tactical, cleared the range with ammo to spare. Was told after I finished shooting I had been using my middle finger to pull the trigger. Didn't realize it in the moment but my trigger finger was sliced open and hurting, so I'd found a solution.
Started the chug not knowing what to expect, finished in a bit under 3 minutes chugging mtn dew 6 pack. I remember the surprised reaction of those present that I finished all 6 cans, and so quickly. Seemed like the easy part in my mind but learned as I watched others run the course the chug penalized many.

Brought some suppressors and NFA toys to play with, a few people had discussed interest in a side range in the event thread. Shot a bit with nukeboy and a few others but the sound from us shooting was making life hard for the ROs calling hits, so the side range stopped existing.

OBO2 brought a buddy we got to know as TrojanCosta, who looked very similar to a go fast Costa. Sylvan was shook by this turn of events and had difficulty sleeping Friday night prior to his run Saturday. Nightmares of the low crawl and his witnessing my foot nudging a can earning a penalty. Fortunately for him it was all a ruse and TrojanCosta didn't do as well as he feared. Watching him sweat was amusing to all present . Everyone watched Sylvan do his run Saturday as the last runner. Lots of helpful advice (heckling haha) was issued during his suffering, and congrats when he finished with the fastest time to win the event. The first coast to coast Cola champ with wins at East and West.

A few clone enthusiasts brought MK12 or close variations and we chatted gear. Enjoyed that greatly.

There was an AK47 disassembly competition, who can conplete it fastest? I had the quickest time but was quiet and reserved. During closing ceremonies a prize was awarded to someone else. Didn't think it was a big deal but someone I'd hung out with must have mentioned it to Josh Aston who found me later and gave me some 40 cal tire stem caps for my truck. Still have them.

Sigchef made some amazing food, most of which I missed due to driving in/out every day. Did have some pulled pork and coleslaw - holy wow it was good.

Closing ceremonies were awesome, seeing everyones efforts sorted and how we all stacked up. I got 3rd place and wanted to improve! The sponsors love was evident as everyone who attended got something nice. A few gave speeches and touched on the concept that every day is cola warrior. Conquer the obstacles before you, always keep pushing, never give up, always help where you can. This had a deep impact on me and turned my life onto a very positive path. It lit a fire in me and I suspect many others as well.

Enjoyed meeting a whole bunch of amazing people and exposure to new things. I had no idea the impact that weekend that Cola Warrior would have on my life, but wow was it a good time!

Discussing the venerable AK platform, and why it belongs in the trash can:

Obstacle 4:

Obstacle 4:

Obstacle 4:

Obstacle 4:

Obstacle 4:

Stamped metal garbage (freshly sliced finger):

Finishing up:

Final runner Sylvan putting it down:

Home sweet cola:

Making art:

Fond farewells:

Everyone was gone but still work to do. Stayed until the end to help pack up and make sure no one was stranded. Local geologist holding down the tire to prevent its escape:

Since this event I've been to 29 Cola wars winning 24 of them, 18 during the day and 6 at night. Started placing "0" and passing on prizes. Won night at almost all locations and several overall at night, as well as overall in combat class.

Have attended every event location, most multiple times and often as staff to help. Working in the back ground to organize and herd cats. Helped launch 5 events and standardize behind the scenes. Administer sponsor comms and get processes in place to keep things going. Last several years I've hosted West.

Cola Warrior changed my life for the better and I like seeing it do the same for others. Its my "why" and driving motivation for doing all the things I do. I thought the world sucked. Cola showed me there are still good people out there, just have to keep looking. Accept that not everyone is good, but they can be if they want to.

If you won a single cola war, was it a fluke? Maybe go try and win another to prove yourself. Win another? Run in combat class? Getting too easy? Run night vision. Win more than once, show it isn't a fluke. Always challenge yourself and keep climbing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Southeast whatever it was, 2020. The start of what would become for many of us the worst year in recent memory. Rona was just coming about, event was in March.

Southerncross and johnnypantz helped me throw my tent up on Wednesday and obviously went straight to my run. Renegadeburrito followed me the whole run on a 4-wheeler wearing a ushanka and blasting russian hard bass. It was then that I was hooked.

Event ended up being fucking miserable. Pissing down rain, tent had 6 inches of standing water in it. But man did I meet some great people, had some great food and have now been to like 8 or 9 cola wars.

I still consider Southeast to be my home event even though there are two in my actual home state
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Cola warrior west 6. 2020.

Went from being afraid of guns to drinking the cola and now I'm fully retarded.

Was pretty fucked up mentally around that time, partial to making really poor decisions in life (like agreeing to to out to the desert to shoot guns with strangers lol). Ended up having some cute dude w an ak camp next to me but he was too drunk to set up is tent so I pitched it for him. The dude I brought with me ended up tearing it down at the end of the event, and the ak-loving drunkard said thanks I'm gonna f--k your girlfriend. Lol

And then we ended up dating and going to a few more events. Engaged at east 8, married at west 7. Can't believe it's almost 2 years.

Was hoping to hit 3 colas a year, but 2022 sucked so we only did 2. Total of 8 so far, finally won a high woman at heartland 2.

Like Stoner, I really think cola warrior changed my life and I will be forever grateful for everything I've learned from it and all of my fellow warriors.

I got into 2gun to prepare for my first cola war, and now it's one of my favorite things to do even tho I still suck at it

I also met one of my favorite girl friends thru cola. Can't imagine my life without binny talls or Buckles. 💚 truly love all the people I've met over the past couple years at events
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Did my first a few days ago. I’ve done many Spartan races and Tough Mudders. Was looking forward to adding pistol and rifles to an OCR style event.

Time to build a rifle up for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:13:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wjoutlaw] [#31]
My first event was East 2 (2014). I knew a couple locals who had been to Liberty MS when it was just called Cola Warrior. It sounded dumb but fun and I begged to get on the list at East after finding the thread. Didn't know but a couple guys but it was fun and I've been doing it ever since. Started CWSE with a few other locals in 2017 and have been involved with that since then.
View Quote

My first one was Texas 2016 and I was unsure of it at first. I knew no one and had major anxiety even getting there.  I downed a couple of my prescribed xanax, nutted up and went. Glad I did because I met ALOT of great people. I even got offered a ride out to your CWSE I wasn't sure about being locked up in a car with a guy I met only once at the first Texas Cola Warrior, for a drive halfway accross the country. First time I met party Mitch, I had to help him find his truck in pitch black darkness, totally not sketchy at all. I didn't partake in the night time shenanigans (baby steps) but wish I did.

Because of Cola Warrior, my PTSD and anxiety have been alot better. I think my problem was, alot of the guys I served with were my family and I was left out in the cold when I retired. Just getting out to a semi-military style event seemed to help me find what I was missing. I don't even need the xanax anymore. Physical pain from service related injuries is another deal all-together.

The wife and I have sponsored a couple of the events through her business. She made prizes for every female runner. I still have a big box of gear and prizes that will get donated to the next event I am able to make it to.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#33]

If I remember right, weren't you the one who said something to the effect of Cola Warrior is like all the best parts of being in the military with none of the bullshit?
View Quote

Haha, yeah that was me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#35]

I still mention that to newbs that to this day. I'd been attributing it to a "wildman with a lot of combat experience".
View Quote

I wouldn't say a lot of combat experience. I've been in a quite a few fights, but nothing compared to our Tier One guys. I did what needed to be done. Hated getting shot at and blown up, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

My first one was Texas 2016 and I was unsure of it at first. I knew no one and had major anxiety even getting there.  I downed a couple of my prescribed xanax, nutted up and went. Glad I did because I met ALOT of great people. I even got offered a ride out to your CWSE I wasn't sure about being locked up in a car with a guy I met only once at the first Texas Cola Warrior, for a drive halfway accross the country. First time I met party Mitch, I had to help him find his truck in pitch black darkness, totally not sketchy at all. I didn't partake in the night time shenanigans (baby steps) but wish I did.

Because of Cola Warrior, my PTSD and anxiety have been alot better. I think my problem was, alot of the guys I served with were my family and I was left out in the cold when I retired. Just getting out to a semi-military style event seemed to help me find what I was missing. I don't even need the xanax anymore. Physical pain from service related injuries is another deal all-together.

The wife and I have sponsored a couple of the events through her business. She made prizes for every female runner. I still have a big box of gear and prizes that will get donated to the next event I am able to make it to.
View Quote
I still don't know where my truck is, but I remember that help.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I still don't know where my truck is, but I remember that help.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#38]
FO1. Only person I knew was @U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D who I rode down with. I had never participated in any type of gun competition before that weekend. I did well on obstacles, peeps and the run but failed miserably at shooting but cleared chug.

I wore a homemade MOA Targets t shirt on my run and even though I didn't have the highest time while wearing it @nvgeologist hooked me up with a swag pack anyway.
Attachment Attached File

I beat 13 or so people straight in one on one tug of war for the Macon Armory .45 pistol kit but was gassed and ultimately succumbed to Shelby. (Who went on to win it)

I met a bunch of great people. I placed 18th and then went on to place 18th at the next two Flyovers.

I haven't participated since FO3.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Inspector2211:
FO1. Only person I knew was @U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D who I rode down with. I had never participated in any type of gun competition before that weekend. I did well on obstacles, peeps and the run but failed miserably at shooting but cleared chug.

I wore a homemade MOA Targets t shirt on my run and even though I didn't have the highest time while wearing it @nvgeologist hooked me up with a swag pack anyway.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416672/Screenshot_20230323_210332_Gallery_jpg-2756810.JPG

I beat 13 or so people straight in one on one tug of war for the Macon Armory .45 pistol kit but was gassed and ultimately succumbed to Shelby. (Who went on to win it)

I met a bunch of great people. I placed 18th and then went on to place 18th at the next two Flyovers.

I haven't participated since FO3.
View Quote

You need to come back.

Heartland in Sept and FO in Nov/Dec.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got home from my first cola war (SE7), I'm amazed at how fun they made th misery!
Huge shout out to all the people making it happen and the bunch of hooligans I got to shoot my first full auto's ever with!
I'm super proud to say I've cola'ed and will be back every year.
What a great bunch of people
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By :
I just got home from my first cola war (SE7), I'm amazed at how fun they made th misery!
Huge shout out to all the people making it happen and the bunch of hooligans I got to shoot my first full auto's ever with!
I'm super proud to say I've cola'ed and will be back every year.
What a great bunch of people
View Quote

glad you enjoyed. i (think) i did as well
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 3:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#42]
Humm...not sure where to start.  More of a bio but just saying what Cola Warrior did for me.

I will go back to my Uncle Sam's Misguided Children days when your whole group did something stupid you all paid the price together and then a week later you were laughing about it while drinking a beer.

Try to make a long story short:
In 2016 me and the Ex were having marriage problems.  Late 2016 I got diagnosed with a bad heart condition and had an AICD installed in my chest.  Marriage got better for a few months then turned to complete dog shit as she "went off the reservation."  I filed for divorce as I had enough health issues much less her nagging bullshit to cover up the fluster fuck of lies she was telling.  In the mean time I was experiencing more adverse effects from all the medications and my heart problem getting worse, I am sure the stress of everything else didn't help.

Speed up to Aug of 2018 and by this time I had the following; Two strokes, kidney failure, lung failure, liver failure and a host of other issues and at this point they discovered why and I was on the transplant list.  Divorce was finalized in late 2018.  I was admitted to the hospital in early 2019 as my condition was getting worse and the mediations were not keeping my alive without being constantly monitored.  Eventually I got a new ticker but had complications from the surgeries to put humpty-dumpty (sp?) back together again.

The other thing that happened in during this point was the military told me I was no longer fit to serve.  I had goals I wanted to reach and were now crushed.  I didn't even get to leave the military on my own terms.

While I was in the hospital for over a 100 days getting a new ticker.  I was limited to my bed or having 4 nurses watch me for cardiac rehab..aka walk me round the nurses station or on a treadmill.  I was on ARF pretty often and I watched other threads about Cola Warrior go by.  I said one day I will check this group of misfits as this reminded me of some of my best days laughing at the shit we had to do.  

Needless to say I didn't even own a gun at this point....  Some of this was the wife couldn't have them and I was still in the military when my heart issue came about so I just shot with them, ammo was cheaper....  I wasn't out of the hospital area until at least late 2019.  By Jan of 2020 the war chest started....  Then kung flu broke out....  I didn't have much ammo yet and this really didn't do me any favors. I will say my target sports usa membership paid for itself in the few short months I used it.  Though I didn't fire anything until a week before SE5 to zero my stuff, first time I EVER used a scope and not irons.  I didn't want to waste too much ammo so this testing was limited as well.

I picked SE5 as my first event.  I saw the stuff on the youtube videos and was like well I will do terrible but what the hell.  I donated to the food group and signed up for a run spot.  At this point I was on standby but told to show up anyway as usually they can get you in, just don't' show up 3pm on Saturday.  I took half a day of work off Wed and loaded up the RV and hit the campground near the event.  I showed up to SE5 on Thursday and walked into the camp site, then a few asked if I was new...... and I made the big mistake of saying "YES."  Then a few jumped up and said grab your stuff you are going next....  Turns out someone was on the course so it took about 30 minutes before I was told to start but needless to say that got my attention.  

I knew I would suck but about the only event I passed was the first one, after that I was gassed period.  My body does not react to stuff like anyone else, it takes roughly 15 minutes for my heart rate to speed up (I think Kaik finished the event before my heart would speed up   ).  I was winded and never regained it.  I also spent WAY too much time for obstacles I would never complete such as I wanted the damn pipe drill but couldn't grab it.  I probably spent the 10 minutes to not accomplish this.  

I was also LIED to about the trash can gun, they swapped it out for a different trash can gun....  On that note I am probably the only one that got charged the full 10 minutes for this as I was putting the damn thing back together (with the help of many people telling me how...aka hecklers in the crowd for the FNG) I got the bolt jammed in the gun and couldn't get it out even with hitting it on the chair...

Just before the run they killed a baby rattle snake on the path...that was encouraging...  On that note eating more sugar than I had eaten in the previous month in the past 10 minutes wasn't helpful.  By the time I got to the range I was a zombie, then I realized I couldn't see as I was sweating so bad my eyes were completely watered up.  I don't think I could hit the broad side of a barn at 10 millimeters much less beyond that.  I blew both pistol mags and still had plenty of targets out there laughing at me...

It is at this point I realized my complete stupidity and thought the course from the previous year was going to be the same.  The "box" from the youtube videos showed people behind a small barrier and shooting from the top of it for the rifle targets....nope "not this time gadget"....this one you had to be behind a full size barrier and shoot from the right and the left side of it.  I must have brought the second heaviest weapon I owned at the time.....  I was gassed from all the physical stuff, couldn't see the end of my barrel much less the targets, and not that it would have mattered much but didn't even turn the reticle for my scope on (this is a mistake because I was tired and didn't practice).  I think I had almost a full mag of .308 left.  

Then it came to the chug, my stomach was already pissed, I couldn't see, I jammed the shit out of my rifle clearing it (thanks Cowbell for the assist with that), I go one cold Dr pepper down and almost had a second one before my time was up.  

Then I probably laid around on the ground for 30-45 minutes as people were asking me if I was okay.  My new ticker was probably like WFT dude; just like it takes a while before my heart rate starts to climb, it takes awhile before it goes back to my normal.  I was just way too HOT, the ground felt good.  I probably should have jumped in the pond though.

Anyone that has done this will instantly know where the fuck I went wrong at least with this event (some I noted others I will leave for newbies to find out), all rookie mistakes and penalties assessed....   I am sure other Cola Warriors have different "issues" you might want to avoid but I would suspect they would be similar in most ways.  

Overall I had a great time though I might have scared a few in the medical field with my performance.  The other great thing was seeing people pull out thermals, NVG, and other cool toys at night that I had never seen in person much less see how it really functioned in a real environment.  This event, though I didn't know it yet, gave me back some of the earlier military experiences I had previously.  Kinda gave me back the feeling of it is my terms and not anyone else's terms to determine what I can or can't do.

I will be back, most of my annual ticker exams come around this time frame though and unfortunately this gets priority.

Obstacle Zero cleared.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:
Humm...not sure where to start.  More of a bio but just saying what Cola Warrior did for me.

I will go back to my Uncle Sam's Misguided Children days when your whole group did something stupid you all paid the price together and then a week later you were laughing about it while drinking a beer.

Try to make a long story short:
In 2016 me and the Ex were having marriage problems.  Late 2016 I got diagnosed with a bad heart condition and had an AICD installed in my chest.  Marriage got better for a few months then turned to complete dog shit as she "went off the reservation."  I filed for divorce as I had enough health issues much less her nagging bullshit to cover up the fluster fuck of lies she was telling.  In the mean time I was experiencing more adverse effects from all the medications and my heart problem getting worse, I am sure the stress of everything else didn't help.

Speed up to Aug of 2018 and by this time I had the following; Two strokes, kidney failure, lung failure, liver failure and a host of other issues and at this point they discovered why and I was on the transplant list.  Divorce was finalized in late 2018.  I was admitted to the hospital in early 2019 as my condition was getting worse and the mediations were not keeping my alive without being constantly monitored.  Eventually I got a new ticker but had complications from the surgeries to put humpty-dumpty (sp?) back together again.

The other thing that happened in during this point was the military told me I was no longer fit to serve.  I had goals I wanted to reach and were now crushed.  I didn't even get to leave the military on my own terms.

While I was in the hospital for over a 100 days getting a new ticker.  I was limited to my bed or having 4 nurses watch me for cardiac rehab..aka walk me round the nurses station or on a treadmill.  I was on ARF pretty often and I watched other threads about Cola Warrior go by.  I said one day I will check this group of misfits as this reminded me of some of my best days laughing at the shit we had to do.  

Needless to say I didn't even own a gun at this point....  Some of this was the wife couldn't have them and I was still in the military when my heart issue came about so I just shot with them, ammo was cheaper....  I wasn't out of the hospital area until at least late 2019.  By Jan of 2020 the war chest started....  Then kung flu broke out....  I didn't have much ammo yet and this really didn't do me any favors. I will say my target sports usa membership paid for itself in the few short months I used it.  Though I didn't fire anything until a week before SE5 to zero my stuff, first time I EVER used a scope and not irons.  I didn't want to waste too much ammo so this testing was limited as well.

I picked SE5 as my first event.  I saw the stuff on the youtube videos and was like well I will do terrible but what the hell.  I donated to the food group and signed up for a run spot.  At this point I was on standby but told to show up anyway as usually they can get you in, just don't' show up 3pm on Saturday.  I took half a day of work off Wed and loaded up the RV and hit the campground near the event.  I showed up to SE5 on Thursday and walked into the camp site, then a few asked if I was new...... and I made the big mistake of saying "YES."  Then a few jumped up and said grab your stuff you are going next....  Turns out someone was on the course so it took about 30 minutes before I was told to start but needless to say that got my attention.  

I knew I would suck but about the only event I passed was the first one, after that I was gassed period.  My body does not react to stuff like anyone else, it takes roughly 15 minutes for my heart rate to speed up (I think Kaik finished the event before my heart would speed up   ).  I was winded and never regained it.  I also spent WAY too much time for obstacles I would never complete such as I wanted the damn pipe drill but couldn't grab it.  I probably spent the 10 minutes to not accomplish this.  

I was also LIED to about the trash can gun, they swapped it out for a different trash can gun....  On that note I am probably the only one that got charged the full 10 minutes for this as I was putting the damn thing back together (with the help of many people telling me how...aka hecklers in the crowd for the FNG) I got the bolt jammed in the gun and couldn't get it out even with hitting it on the chair...

Just before the run they killed a baby rattle snake on the path...that was encouraging...  On that note eating more sugar than I had eaten in the previous month in the past 10 minutes wasn't helpful.  By the time I got to the range I was a zombie, then I realized I couldn't see as I was sweating so bad my eyes were completely watered up.  I don't think I could hit the broad side of a barn at 10 millimeters much less beyond that.  I blew both pistol mags and still had plenty of targets out there laughing at me...

It is at this point I realized my complete stupidity and thought the course from the previous year was going to be the same.  The "box" from the youtube videos showed people behind a small barrier and shooting from the top of it for the rifle targets....nope "not this time gadget"....this one you had to be behind a full size barrier and shoot from the right and the left side of it.  I must have brought the second heaviest weapon I owned at the time.....  I was gassed from all the physical stuff, couldn't see the end of my barrel much less the targets, and not that it would have mattered much but didn't even turn the reticle for my scope on (this is a mistake because I was tired and didn't practice).  I think I had almost a full mag of .308 left.  

Then it came to the chug, my stomach was already pissed, I couldn't see, I jammed the shit out of my rifle clearing it (thanks Cowbell for the assist with that), I go one cold Dr pepper down and almost had a second one before my time was up.  

Then I probably laid around on the ground for 30-45 minutes as people were asking me if I was okay.  My new ticker was probably like WFT dude; just like it takes a while before my heart rate starts to climb, it takes awhile before it goes back to my normal.  I was just way too HOT, the ground felt good.  I probably should have jumped in the pond though.

Anyone that has done this will instantly know where the fuck I went wrong at least with this event (some I noted others I will leave for newbies to find out), all rookie mistakes and penalties assessed....   I am sure other Cola Warriors have different "issues" you might want to avoid but I would suspect they would be similar in most ways.  

Overall I had a great time though I might have scared a few in the medical field with my performance.  The other great thing was seeing people pull out thermals, NVG, and other cool toys at night that I had never seen in person much less see how it really functioned in a real environment.  This event, though I didn't know it yet, gave me back some of the earlier military experiences I had previously.  Kinda gave me back the feeling of it is my terms and not anyone else's terms to determine what I can or can't do.

I will be back, most of my annual ticker exams come around this time frame though and unfortunately this gets priority.

Obstacle Zero cleared.

View Quote

Holy fuck! You did that AFTER a heart transplant???

Attachment Attached File

Wow, mad respect!!! Welcome to the (not a) cult.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#44]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

Holy fuck! You did that AFTER a heart transplant???

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/284782/FB_IMG_1608921158261_jpg-2834739.JPG

Wow, mad respect!!! Welcome to the (not a) cult.

View Quote

The "clock + penalties" said otherwise but thanks.....  Honestly don't care if I don't improve my time (though that would be pretty tough to not accomplish) so long as I am out there and learning is what counts.

I would claim....I died but got better but its not quite as comical the second time... .  

Overall had a great time, ate great food and met some great people.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#45]
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Cola Warrior goes back to 2014? I thought this was a 2020 or more recent thing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Dessert_Eagle:
View Quote

I was lead to believe that there would be no math at the Cola Wars.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The-13th-Cola-Warrior-Open-to-top-10s-/5-2642959/

The year 2023 subtracted by 13 years puts us right around the year 1775, maybe if you round up, 1776.

Someone please check my math.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#48]
The math is impeccable.
Pretty sure the first cola warriors flew this flag:
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By bajagringo:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/The-13th-Cola-Warrior-Open-to-top-10s-/5-2642959/

The year 2023 subtracted by 13 years puts us right around the year 1775, maybe if you round up, 1776.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Your first Cola War (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top