Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2023 7:58:35 PM EDT
Coming back again this fall for whitetail hunting.  I really miss living in Maine but I'll settle for Desantistan for now.  Got invited back to my friends hunting camp outside Bangor.  

All set for gear and what not but always like to hear stories from fellow Mainers.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I realized I'm a shooter / collector, not a hunter. I've had hunting licenses off and on for the last... probably 25-ish years and NEVER taken a shot on a deer, if that tells you how serious I am about it. But the kiddo's 14 and is moderately interested, so we went out one day last year and will be out again this year, I think. Just applied for the anterless lottery.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By theautobahn:
I realized I'm a shooter / collector, not a hunter. I've had hunting licenses off and on for the last... probably 25-ish years and NEVER taken a shot on a deer, if that tells you how serious I am about it. But the kiddo's 14 and is moderately interested, so we went out one day last year and will be out again this year, I think. Just applied for the anterless lottery.
View Quote

Nice!  I love my time in the woods and cabin.  Honestly, I don't care if I get a deer or not but I take things seriously.  

I'd honestly prefer whacking coyotes but don't have that setup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine who has been a life long hunter says "if I don't bag any game, I'm just happy to have taken my gun a walk in the woods".

Good attitude and frankly being out in the woods on a bad day is always better than a good day in town.  Someone else said that, not sure who but I like it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Which direction from Bangor? You don't need to be too specific about location if you don't want, just curious. I've hunted east, north, and west of Bangor, never really south.

If you carry something enough for deer, you could probably do some yotes, in the right area. I've seen some out back of my place within 50ish yards and they can be called/lured in fairly well at times.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Maine_11B_to_Nurse:
Which direction from Bangor? You don't need to be too specific about location if you don't want, just curious. I've hunted east, north, and west of Bangor, never really south.

If you carry something enough for deer, you could probably do some yotes, in the right area. I've seen some out back of my place within 50ish yards and they can be called/lured in fairly well at times.
View Quote

Over by Troy/Dixmont.

I have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt.  The farm up the hill shoots em with .338 lapua
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:

Over by Troy/Dixmont.

I have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt.  The farm up the hill shoots em with .338 lapua
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
Originally Posted By Maine_11B_to_Nurse:

Over by Troy/Dixmont.

I've only hunted down that way once (a friend's place in Thorndike), but there are some nice bodied deer in that area. That 6.5 should be much more than enough for yotes and that area should have some decent spots for nailing them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
This will be my 2nd deer season. Wife n I own 14 acres and I'm putting them to use. Learning hunting on my own, which is probly why I missed my shot last season. I sat next to a tree and heard heavy steps. I thought it was someone trespassing. I saw what appeared to be artificial light an thought someone pulled onto my land. Anyway I shifted my seat, heard a grunt and a stomp, then off it went. Found the fresh tracks 10 feet from me when the sun came up more.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SHORTSTROKE83:
This will be my 2nd deer season. Wife n I own 14 acres and I'm putting them to use. Learning hunting on my own, which is probly why I missed my shot last season. I sat next to a tree and heard heavy steps. I thought it was someone trespassing. I saw what appeared to be artificial light an thought someone pulled onto my land. Anyway I shifted my seat, heard a grunt and a stomp, then off it went. Found the fresh tracks 10 feet from me when the sun came up more.
View Quote

I know its a different type of hunting but I liked listening to Hal Blood and the Big Woods Bucks podcast.

Forgot to add, got my antler less tag for Area 23.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll check that out....I got mine for my zone, 21 but I don't think I'm special here haha
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
My trip got canceled sadly.  Gonna have to hunt N. FL this year  Ill still have a good time though.  My friends job won't let him off so I'll roll my ticket forward.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
My land is closer to Augusta.  I've been tracking a decent herd on my cameras. I'll tag out x2 pretty easily.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#12]
My friend told me there's a nice 10 pointer on his land but Florida deer just aren't big bodied.  

At least I'll get first crack opening weekend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
My land is closer to Augusta.  I've been tracking a decent herd on my cameras. I'll tag out x2 pretty easily.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539786/CEBFF80E10E1_20231027_115--1_jpg-3007039.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/539786/CEBFF80E10E1_20231011_37--1_jpg-3007041.JPG
View Quote

Nice!  I won't get to fill my tags.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#14]
The bucks are now moving around. I have seen three very nice ones at tagging stations this week. My son shot his first Monday. I also had a neighbor come over who has never shot a deer that got a decent 8pt.

I am holding out for the 9 or 8 pt I have on camera.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Cavitation:
The bucks are now moving around. I have seen three very nice ones at tagging stations this week. My son shot his first Monday. I also had a neighbor come over who has never shot a deer that got a decent 8pt.

I am holding out for the 9 or 8 pt I have on camera.
View Quote

Awesome.  Congratulations to both of them. It is special.

Good luck on your quest too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#16]
Took a tiny doe last Monday (raining) just at last light. My herd is just starting to move more towards shooting hours. That doe looked bigger near dark in the rain. Tastes good though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Took a tiny doe last Monday (raining) just at last light. My herd is just starting to move more towards shooting hours. That doe looked bigger near dark in the rain. Tastes good though.
View Quote

I passed on a bunch of smaller deer Saturday.  Easy kills but small.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Saw a ton this season in the few opportunities I had to hunt but I was being fickle even though I had a doe permit. Spent most of my time still hunting, trying to bump deer towards my hunting partners. I took one shot at a decent basket rack that surprised the hell out of me just by staring at me as I was hurrying out of the woods at dusk. I yanked the shot and had a clean miss, unfortunately. It happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top