Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2023 9:43:40 AM EDT
I am learning the ropes on MIG and TIG welding and I am looking for some advice on welding gases.  I do not like the idea of renting cylinders for a number of reasons and the places I’ve called seem to only offer rentals.  Anyone know of a company on the North East side of Atlanta that will refill cylinders?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Most places that rent the cylinders will fill them, but not as you wait. In most cases they'll swap your cylinders for full ones provided of course that your cylinder is within certification. If it is outside of that, there will be a charge to test and recertify.

Out this way, O2 Plus and Holston Gases are the shops I use that provide this service.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had an issue buying cylinders from Airgas but my local store was bought out and retained the old management who we have been doing business with for years so IDK if that's unique. They also just swap cylinders instead of refilling yours and never asked me where they came from. I have several I bought at auction.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at Sidney Lee. One of their locations may be close enough for you. I purchased both of my current cylinders from them and all sorts of other supplies.  Never been a huge fan of Airgas.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnnypantz:
Look at Sidney Lee. One of their locations may be close enough for you. I purchased both of my current cylinders from them and all sorts of other supplies.  Never been a huge fan of Airgas.
View Quote

I've see your welds.......No on should be taking advice from you
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 0627Devildog:

I've see your welds.......No on should be taking advice from you
View Quote

The work till they don’t
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I’ll give them a call Tuesday.  Appreciate the heads up!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Sidney Lee had a location in Conyers. I use the one in Hampton. They are good folks I've know them for 35 years now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#8]
If u buy u have pay to get them inspected so whoever will fill them. If u rent u just have to say hey I need gas. Never have to worry about inspection or replacing valves.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 5:15:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stasher1] [#9]
Originally Posted By dawggs4:
If u buy u have pay to get them inspected so whoever will fill them. If u rent u just have to say hey I need gas. Never have to worry about inspection or replacing valves.
View Quote

You don't have to pay for inspection if you buy a new bottle.

Bought a new bottle in the early 2000's and have been swapping them out ever since.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:20:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dawggs4:
View Quote
You don't have to pay to get them inspected, the only thing they care about is whether or not the hydro test is in date.  Even if it is out of date, all they do is charge you a hydro fee and give you another tank.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I've been happy with Sydney Lee.

The whole industry is consolidating it seems, I have a bunch of tanks from my late fathers business with more names on the collars than I can remember. Several are now Airgas, some Nexair, some I have no clue.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

The whole industry is consolidating it seems, I have a bunch of tanks from my late fathers business with more names on the collars than I can remember. Several are now Airgas, some Nexair, some I have no clue.
View Quote

Sidney Lee in Doraville got me squared away.  Seems like a good outfit.  They’ll get more business from me.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Now I need to figure out a welding helmet.  Man, there are a lot of options out there!  I tried out a ESAB A60 and like it.  Anything else I should look at?

If it makes a difference, my goal is to tig weld aluminum, mild and stainless.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lucky_13:

Sidney Lee in Doraville got me squared away.  Seems like a good outfit.  They’ll get more business from me.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Now I need to figure out a welding helmet.  Man, there are a lot of options out there!  I tried out a ESAB A60 and like it.  Anything else I should look at?

View Quote

Can’t go wrong with the ESAB. I bought an a50 on a recommendation from a couple of friends and have been happy. Before that I had the 2 millers(just below their most expensive) and welded with their most expensive and was not happy with the performance during low amp tig. Had a Lincoln on loan from my dealer while in Indy that cost twice what the esab did and while I liked welding with it, couldn’t justify the cost over the esab with no gain in performance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Once you settle on a helmet make sure the rest of your body is protected. TIG, especially in AL, can burn your skin right through a shirt. It happened to me once, I got what looked like a sunburn on my chest where the pockets of my shirt and the doubled up fabric for the buttons protected my skin enough to not burn. It was an odd looking tanline. I wear a welding jacket most of the time now or at least a heavy denim shirt.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I go to airgas.  920 W Ridge Rd, Gainesville, GA 30501
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top