Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2024 8:48:20 AM EDT
Hi all,

My buddy and I are heading to Tennessee in May for a tour at Jack Daniels. Was hoping you all might be able to suggest some other things to do/see while we're there. Our interests mostly revolve around whiskey/bourbon, guns, military and history but if you have recommendations beyond those things we're interested in hearing them.

We'll only be in town for two days so we don't have a ton of extra time. We're arriving around mid day on a Friday and staying at a hotel in Murfreesboro. Then going to Jack Daniels around mid day on Saturday. We'll probably head home Saturday around mid afternoon (3 to 4pm).

That gives us Friday afternoon/night and Saturday morning/early afternoon to explore.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:50:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bodybagger] [#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
OP,be prepared for Nashville traffic, it’s bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I would agree with the Stones River Battlefield visit on Friday afternoon. There are a couple decent gun shops in Murfreesboro, as well, to include Outpost Armory (owned by Chris Barrett of Barrett Firearms fame) and Bullseye Gun & Range (right off I24 at Exit 81, kind of behind Cracker Barrel). there's a great cigar / craft beer bar on the square, called Liquid Smoke. If you're into cigars, you should check out their humidor (which is also the name of their cigar shop next door, with a pass through door between it and Liquid Smoke).

As was said, you'd do well to keep your head on a swivel and not leave valuables in your car overnight.

In Lynchburg, you should eat at either Miss Mary Bobo's if you can get a reservation or Barrelhouse BBQ (try the Grilled Cheese on Crack).

Between Murfreesboro and Lynchburg, you're going to drive right past the Nearest Green Distillery. Nearest Green was the slave who taught Jasper Newton Daniel how to distill whiskey using the Lincoln County Process. The distillery was opened several years ago and they've won quite a number of awards for their whiskey.

If either of you are Squires, mention it when you sign up for your tour at Jack. They'll put a sticker on your tour pass and the tour guide will usually acknowledge you when they welcome you on the tour. The Squire House in front of the Visitor Center is well worth a visit if you are a Squire. even though they're retired, you'll still find Goose Baxter or Randall Fanning hanging around and telling yarns from time to time. Even if they aren't there, Miss Kathy and Will are both worth visiting. (You also get a free gift for visiting.) Even if you aren't a Squire, your tour pass and a minimal purchase will get you a free shot glass at the Lynchburg General Store and a couple other area stores. (Oh, if you are a Squire, they offer a discount, as well.)
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the calendar and see if you might luck out on a show date. I saw Blackberry Smoke there and the venue is AWESOME!!!

https://www.thecaverns.com/

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Outpost is cool I also like bullseye. Eat at demos and/or toots. Maybe the boulevard bar and grill or slick pig for smoked wings or other bbq. Lynchburg is Lynchburg. Good time but tourist trap.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
I would agree with the Stones River Battlefield visit on Friday afternoon. There are a couple decent gun shops in Murfreesboro, as well, to include Outpost Armory (owned by Chris Barrett of Barrett Firearms fame) and Bullseye Gun & Range (right off I24 at Exit 81, kind of behind Cracker Barrel). there's a great cigar / craft beer bar on the square, called Liquid Smoke. If you're into cigars, you should check out their humidor (which is also the name of their cigar shop next door, with a pass through door between it and Liquid Smoke).

As was said, you'd do well to keep your head on a swivel and not leave valuables in your car overnight.

In Lynchburg, you should eat at either Miss Mary Bobo's if you can get a reservation or Barrelhouse BBQ (try the Grilled Cheese on Crack).

Between Murfreesboro and Lynchburg, you're going to drive right past the Nearest Green Distillery. Nearest Green was the slave who taught Jasper Newton Daniel how to distill whiskey using the Lincoln County Process. The distillery was opened several years ago and they've won quite a number of awards for their whiskey.

If either of you are Squires, mention it when you sign up for your tour at Jack. They'll put a sticker on your tour pass and the tour guide will usually acknowledge you when they welcome you on the tour. The Squire House in front of the Visitor Center is well worth a visit if you are a Squire. even though they're retired, you'll still find Goose Baxter or Randall Fanning hanging around and telling yarns from time to time. Even if they aren't there, Miss Kathy and Will are both worth visiting. (You also get a free gift for visiting.) Even if you aren't a Squire, your tour pass and a minimal purchase will get you a free shot glass at the Lynchburg General Store and a couple other area stores. (Oh, if you are a Squire, they offer a discount, as well.)
View Quote
Reserve Now!

https://www.jackdaniels.com/en-us/Miss-Mary-Bobos-Restaurant#Reserve
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shoresy] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ropin4gold:
Outpost is cool I also like bullseye. Eat at demos and/or toots. Maybe the boulevard bar and grill or slick pig for smoked wings or other bbq. Lynchburg is Lynchburg. Good time but tourist trap.
View Quote

I like Bullseye a little better. +1 for Slick Pig. The regular smoked chicken is an even better deal than the wings.

There isn't a whole lot in the Tullahoma/ Lynchburg area other than the distilleries, but if you like aviation the Beechcraft Museum in Tullahoma is worth the stop.  https://beechcrafthm.org/
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Uncle Nearest Distillery is in Shelbyville if you like that sort of stuff. Dickel is in the area, too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
So the wifey and I decided to hit Lynchburg last Tuesday; we hoped to get into Miss Mary Bobo's.  My wife called and their answering machine said they were full up for the day.  She left a message asking if there were any cancelations; they called back and we got in for the 1 PM lunch!   Excellent Fried Chicken!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top