Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2023 10:16:07 PM EDT
Hello folks,

I’m heading up to Maine tomorrow for a couple of weeks. We have several days for Acadia, and a few for katahdin planned and booked/reserved. Does anyone have good info on oceanfront camping between Portland and Acadia? I can do walk-in/tent, or truck with canopy. Looks like hermit island campground may be my best bet for true oceanfront, but any help would be great!

Any must-sees or restaurant rec’s?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Camden Hills State Park might be good if you can get in there.
Beware of brown-tail caterpillars wherever you go in the mid-coast.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Hermit Island is a fantastic place to camp.  Been there a few times.  But the reality is that getting reservations there will be iffy if at all.  Usually they book our a year in advance.

I'm going to recommend here:  Recompense Campground/Wolfs Neck Farm.  You can go here:

https://foursquare.com/v/recompence-shore-campground-at-wolfes-neck-farm/4e054531e4cdefcff6ce6c7f

You've got to know that the crowds of tourists become pretty heavy now until mid September.  If you want to see Cadilac Mountain,  you'll need reservations so call to make them as soon as you can.  

Good luck.  My wife and I have tent camped up here in Maine for decades and, when we retired, we decided to finally move here and enjoy Maine year-round.  We have never, for one second, regretted that decision after three years.  

Rome
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Our trip has been fantastic and blessed by Freyr with sunshine when it was needed. We did Cadillac “mountain” in acadia - both the drive at sunset and as a hike the next day with great weather, and did Katahdin via the abol trail yesterday morning. A 0430 start had us back to the car before the rain started at 1230. Perfect day. Now I’m at an air bnb watching eagles fish the river out front.

No moose sightings yet, and the bugs rival my time in Alaska, but I can see the appeal up here. I bet the winters are great for skiing etc as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#5]
There is solid skiing and sledding in the winter, but Maine snow at ski resorts tends to be pretty granular / icy. It's not the soft, cushy stuff out west. Most years, anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top