Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2023 3:42:32 PM EDT
Everybody good?

My brother in law and his family got by with minimal damage this time. He lost his house two years ago after direct hit by a smaller tornado.

Y'all check in
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Passed about a mile and a half of me at Amory.  Got branches and minor debris from inflow/wind gusts.
 It was even closer to my Mom, aunt and two sisters but all mine are fine and well. Amory and surrounding area is jacked up. Two fatalities in Wren (a small community a few miles away) but none in Amory itself.
 Spent several hours clearing downed trees at a day care. The owner's husband got discharged from the hospital yesterday morning and is wearing a heart monitor. It was waaaay more than he could have handled anyway. Several of us ran saws and drug brush.  Still more to do but we did a lot today.
  That was kind of personal as my granddaughter used to attend there before they moved to a different town.
  Amory is under a boil water notice but my family all have power except one sister but she and her husband own a small cabin not far away so they're staying there.
 It was F3 strength when it hit. Rolling Fork, MS was not so lucky. That had to be an F5. There's drone footage on Youtube for both towns if you to compare.  Too tired to post it right now.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Good here in Cleveland. Had a nasty cell run through about 2 miles N of my house. I'm not too far down the road from Rolling Fork, and have a couple of really good friends from there. It looks like a bomb went off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm south of the tornado's path; so we got no damage.

But it wreaked havoc in some small towns.

Check out the video and read down through the text:
Link
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
I hope everyone is ok down there.
View Quote
  There's a social media (I'm not supposed to talk about it) for Cola Warrior vets and some have families that took hits but no serious injuries or deaths.  
See my post above. It got too close for comfort but all mine are ok. Thanks for checking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear good news out of y'all. I've never been close to a tornado and cross my fingers to stay that way. I can handle a major hurricane. But a tornado scares the shit out of me
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
Glad to hear good news out of y'all. I've never been close to a tornado and cross my fingers to stay that way. I can handle a major hurricane. But a tornado scares the shit out of me
View Quote
  Been directly bit by a small one and still carry a dent in my head. I have watched two, one directly overhead.  Been close enough to hear several. Saw the aftermath of several including an F5 which took a friend. And now my home town is ravaged by an F3.
 I want nothing to do with any more tornadoes ever again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#9]
All good in DeSoto county.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I've been close enough to one to hear it. Everyone says it sounds like a freight train but to me it sounded like a jet engine at low power. Yeah it's freaky.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cowbell:

I've been close enough to one to hear it. Everyone says it sounds like a freight train but to me it sounded like a jet engine at low power. Yeah it's freaky.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It sounds like a train when debris is being tossed around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
View All Quotes

I dunno then because there was definitely debris thrown around. The connex box at the shoothouse was found like a half mile away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Rolling Fork:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#14]

I dunno then because there was definitely debris thrown around. The connex box at the shoothouse was found like a half mile away.
View All Quotes

Maybe it's F scale dependent.  The direct hit was in was either F0 or F1 and it sounded a lot like a jet engine.  And it just kind of dropped out of the sky and tossed the trailer I was in around and I work up in a bean filed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I measured the path where the tornado (F3 when it hit Amory) crossed 278 just before it hit Amory. It was hard to tell exactly where the edges were but by my best guess it was about a mile wide.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Pictures that our SAR team took in Rolling Fork:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Passed about 3.5 miles from my house. Still too damn close for comfort.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Tornado tracks:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Round 2. Wish us luck up here in yankee land.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#21]
The wife works at Super Sagless in Tupelo.  One of the three buildings is totaled.  The one she works in is ok but status of the entire operation is unknown. She may not have a job come Monday. But we have been untouched otherwise so we're counting our blessings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top