Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 9:08:50 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I will be staying in Gatesville for  7 weeks for work and wanted to check in and see if there was any good places to eat, visit, or do?  Also any good shops in the area to visit?  Thank you all for the replies.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really.  I'd stay and take my chances in Gatesville or drive the back road to Temple or Waco.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryKnoxFineBooks] [#2]
I can tell you what you won't be doing, which is visiting the 1 Cav Div and Regiment of Mounted Rifles museums on post as they have been closed. Besides, their M60 tank has the T142 type track on it which was only on the M60A1, A2, and A3 when in service, while the M60A1 on display has the older track type.

Waco has Ft. Fisher, the Texas Ranger Museum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Gatesville has a few decent restaurants.  The Feed Mill has good food.  Studebaker's is a great pizza place.   Bare Bone BBQ is just north of the North Gate on 36.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Plenty of lonely women that make poor choices there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Texas Ranger Museum and the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco.

Gatesville has a 600 yard range out there. One in the Chamber

Holley Gun range is 1k I think.

The Balcones distillery in Waco.

I can't really speak to any restaurants. That kind of shit are what wives are for, and I have a good one.

Mother Neff State park is a nice place, right down 107 to your east.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Spent a lot of time deer hunting 30 years ago. Just looked at the map, looks like there's 3 "ranchettes" built on the property now.  Beautiful property with a spring fed creek.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Killeen is kind of a crappy town. Waco is nicer with some touristy things.

If you go a little further north there's the dang Cheese cave.

Yes, you heard me..the cheese cave.

https://www.brazosvalleycheese.com/
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:
I can tell you what you won't be doing, which is visiting the 1 Cav Div and Regiment of Mounted Rifles museums on post as they have been closed. Besides, their M60 tank has the T142 type track on it which was only on the M60A1, A2, and A3 when in service, while the M60A1 on display has the older track type.

Waco has Ft. Fisher, the Texas Ranger Museum.
View Quote

That sucks about the Museum.
Definitely will check out the Texas Ranger Museum.  Saw it on the drive in from Dallas.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sirostac:
Gatesville has a few decent restaurants.  The Feed Mill has good food.  Studebaker's is a great pizza place.   Bare Bone BBQ is just north of the North Gate on 36.

View Quote

Good to know.  Ate at the Italian Restaurant in town recommended by the staff at the hotel.  It was good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RedSev13] [#10]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
Texas Ranger Museum and the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco.

Gatesville has a 600 yard range out there. One in the Chamber

Holley Gun range is 1k I think.

The Balcones distillery in Waco.

I can't really speak to any restaurants. That kind of shit are what wives are for, and I have a good one.

Mother Neff State park is a nice place, right down 107 to your east.

View Quote

Dang, now I am mad I didn’t pack the .300 Win Mag.  Will check them out though on my day off and sling some lead.  I am assuming both are open to the public?

Yeah my wife was resistant to being packed in the duffel bag.

Will hit up the distillery.  Being from KY the Bourbon distilleries a great way to burn a day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Killeen is kind of a crappy town. Waco is nicer with some touristy things.

If you go a little further north there's the dang Cheese cave.

Yes, you heard me..the cheese cave.

https://www.brazosvalleycheese.com/
View Quote

You have me at cheese good sir.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry for the bombarding.  Waiting in Austin to pick up some of the co-workers.  Just had a chance to get back to this thread.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't Ho Chi Min City the fort.  It's Fort Hood, like it's Saigon.  Communists always try to change the names of things.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, Ft. Hood.

I'll be next to it 5/24-27.  Are you with your wife or will you be looking to do some memorial day camping/shooting?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:36:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LineOfDeparture] [#16]
Originally Posted By RedSev13:

Dang, now I am mad I didn’t pack the .300 Win Mag.  Will check them out though on my day off and sling some lead.  I am assuming both are open to the public?

Yeah my wife was resistant to being packed in the duffel bag.

Will hit up the distillery.  Being from KY the Bourbon distilleries a great way to burn a day.
View Quote

Eject, king. You deserve better.

Also, what the fuck. It's Texas. You should always bring at least one rifle. Probably a PRS match or something not to far from where you're staying while you're here. I've not shot PRS since 2019, though, so I couldn't say how often they're happening still.

ETA: Yes, both ranges are open too the public.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Waco Mammoth National Monument
https://www.nps.gov/waco/index.htm
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Cycle Gear has a really great store in town. There are also several solid MMA, and grappling gyms in the area. I go to Grappler's Lair often, and it's got some very talented peeps.

The north Austin region has some floatation tank centers.

Plucker's for wings.

Waco has a ton of things to do. Cameron Park is worth a person's time.

And they can rename the base whatever they want, but it will always be "The Hood". Parts of Killeen can be like Bakara Market in the summertime.

Top Top