Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2024 12:41:09 PM EDT
3 day waiting period after purchase?  This was one that I really didn't have a chance of passing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
The bill, LD 2238, was reintroduced; originally it was LD 60, which failed last June. The new version was cosponsored by nearly half the legislature, which is a serious warning sign.

I went to every single event that Gun Owners of Maine held at the state house. The turnout was disappointing, about 20 - 50 people showed up each time. Just a couple of years ago, GOME used to fill the place. I know it's hard to get to Augusta on what is often short notice - I'm pretty sick of it myself - but SHOWING UP actually does make a difference. At a minimum it provides cover and support for the pro-gun legislators.

This won't be the end of the bullshit. If you can't get to Augusta to testify in committee or go to lobby days, there are a couple of things you can still do. For bills in committee, you can submit written testimony through the state legislature website , or register to testify via Zoom. Maybe one of your friends can make it - give them a call. Even if your state senator or representative is pro-gun, make a call or send an email thanking them for their effort, and restating your opposition to whatever other gun control comes along.

Participatory government only works if you participate. SHOW UP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Well said.

Although I write and sometimes call.  I need to be more proactive.

Thank  you for the schooling
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top