Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 8:44:45 AM EDT
Received an email from the Secretary at my gun club regarding this pending legislation.  I have not seen it mentioned here but since it will negatively effect all gun clubs with shooting facilities it bears watching.

Senate Bill S8461A - Sporting Range Good Neighbor Act - To Amend Environmental Conservation Law

Fellow Club members,

We became aware of the above referenced NY Senate Bill last week. We urge you to click on the link below and read this bill which will, if passed, be a great hardship for most gun clubs and ranges in NY and which could very well result in the closures of same.

The background that we have learned about this bill is that it was introduced by Senator Pete Harckham of District 40 in Putnam Co NY. Apparently there was a dispute between a gun club/range (Willow Wood) in Carmel NY and neighbors of the club who claim that shot from the Club was falling off-site onto the neighbor's property. Not satisfied with the actions of the club or the local government to address the situation, the neighbors sought help from their State Senator, who is also Chairman of the Committee on Environmental Conservation, to address their problem. The result is this bill. If passed, it will effect and impact every outdoor gun range in the State.

The bill uses the term "skeet" and "skeet field tracts" to address all shotgun ranges (skeet, trap and sporting clays) but also applies to all rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges.

This bill would require:

A 300 x 600 yard "skeet field tract" be designated in which the "shooting semi-circle" is in the middle of the tract and, in which, the shot must fall.

Any range that can't meet this set-back must construct a backstop that is covered by a roof to prevent erosion of the backstop.

That no portion of the "skeet field tract" shall contain wetlands or open water.

Reclamation of spent shot/lead on the range.  

The DEC to promulgate regulations regarding Environmental Stewardship of outdoor gun ranges. This will require reporting by the ranges, to the DEC including: descriptions of their property, identification of environmental issues, and, actions taken (including lead reclamation/abatement). This report would likely require every club to hire an environmental consulting firm to prepare such a report.

S8461A
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
It will pass and that will be the end of ranges….

Another nail in the coffin in their minds not to allow people to own weapons.  

It’s time to push that all of the elected officials have security details disarmed.  No reason they should be above everyone else.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Hadn't seen this one. Thanks.
We really need to take back one of the houses in NYS!

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure what's up with your link, my browser blocked it with a warning. I found this in a search though - https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2023/S8461/amendment/A
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:
Not sure what's up with your link, my browser blocked it with a warning. I found this in a search though - https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2023/S8461/amendment/A
View Quote

Weird, it works for me and no warnings from McAfee?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Your link does have the RS6 tracking spyware aids.

https://6jquig7ab.cc.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001qPghcwRvmxS1YmyT8nstMGCIAZsZhNWQ7MH9RW2GHRbfZwRbfDVeQ6BaN6cDvHjasPrco1mf38xDI0e4V2JXj0DEfcZYLz3ALlwffa4angzMYWtYiyNxjP--2LOvl5G7bGBL30UyMQEv34Hon38rqPF7XpPDNnsn-dZiom2waCP3ucRjhE_65Swn1ESK0jIeWeea0IjOr9jNHjl9l6OJ_PpXYKWmIUeR&c=2YIVqEiNRvhp4-HcFVuHUlxJijKzwxmAzJ6c3VbCnMuI-y-iIFV_oQ==&ch=2Rw3DiuY6EK-tW2WFdxV20_8OsDk0hqqzplzI7_vHFjuMx1BRjRFOg==

I won't click on those, either.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DancingBear] [#6]
Originally Posted By Bushman_2

This bill would require

[color=#ff0000][b] That no portion of the "skeet field tract" shall contain wetlands or open water.
[/color]

Reclamation of spent shot/lead on the range.  

The DEC to promulgate regulations regarding Environmental Stewardship of outdoor gun ranges. This will require reporting by the ranges, to the DEC including: descriptions of their property, identification of environmental issues, and, actions taken (including lead reclamation/abatement). This report would likely require every club to hire an environmental consulting firm to prepare such a report.
View Quote

That's why we lost our shotgun shooting range at our club years ago!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top