Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2024 10:24:14 AM EDT
HB 259 will lower the age requirement from 21 to 18 to qualify for a Ky. Concealed Carry License under KRS 237.110 and also lower the age from 21 to 18 to qualify for constitutional Carry under KRS 237.109. This is the fifth time Representative Maddox has introduced this bill without success.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks Softpoint.   Had not seen you post in a while

Though I like her positions on issues and am glad she fights for us unfortunately she has no clout with the rest of the Legislature

If she could ever get a co-sponsor with some clout or have one of them file a similar bill we might see some traction on this matter

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JMD:

Though I like her positions on issues and am glad she fights for us unfortunately she has no clout with the rest of the Legislature

If she could ever get a co-sponsor with some clout or have one of them file a similar bill we might see some traction on this matter

View Quote

I agree.

It is because she is not Swampy...
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: softpoint] [#3]
Maybe she could partner with Derrick Graham and get this gun bill passed. He's a man with clout. Hell, he is the minority floor leader, now that's clout.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: softpoint] [#4]
The Third US Circuit Court of Appeals(Pa.) has just ruled that 18, 19 and 20 year olds have the same gun rights as older adults.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JMD:

View Quote

I expect that we will be seeing co-sponsors signing on to HB 259 soon enough.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
HB 259 now has three co-sponsors, Steven Doan, Josh Callaway and Felicia Raybourne. I don't know how much clout that makes collectively but it has to be growing. There is still a lot of time to add more clout to this list of co-sponsors. If the lack of clout is still a problem it has occurred to me that each of us here at ARFCOM could contact our own Representative and ask them to co-sponsor this bill and add their clout to the total clout. If that doesn't get us enough clout, we can then ask Representatives that are not associated with us in any way. This is the way bills have been passed for decades. The calculation of clout is new to me so if someone who knows the formula will keep a running tally on clout I would appreciate an update from time to time. I seems to me to be dependant on how much clout the citizens want to exert on the legislators, but I'm new to clout counting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By softpoint:
HB 259 now has three co-sponsors, Steven Doan, Josh Callaway and Felicia Raybourne. I don't know how much clout that makes collectively but it has to be growing. There is still a lot of time to add more clout to this list of co-sponsors. If the lack of clout is still a problem it has occurred to me that each of us here at ARFCOM could contact our own Representative and ask them to co-sponsor this bill and add their clout to the total clout. If that doesn't get us enough clout, we can then ask Representatives that are not associated with us in any way. This is the way bills have been passed for decades. The calculation of clout is new to me so if someone who knows the formula will keep a running tally on clout I would appreciate an update from time to time. I seems to me to be dependant on how much clout the citizens want to exert on the legislators, but I'm new to clout counting.
View Quote

I have contacted my legislator about this bill and several others.  I have dialog with my legislator on a weekly basis when general session is happening.  However the clout that may have been referred to could lie in the hands of the 5 people that hold the keys to the kingdom under the current house rules.

Rudy
Osbourne
Miles
Nemes
Meade

It is a common known fact around the Annex and beyond that you can have 73 cosponsors for a bill and if these five members of royalty do not support... then it dies in the committee on committees.  Rabourn and others tried to fix this on day 1... but was shut down.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: softpoint] [#8]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Kind of makes you wonder why the others bother to show up for work, doesn't it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: softpoint] [#10]
Originally Posted By jaymack:

I have contacted my legislator about this bill and several others.  I have dialog with my legislator on a weekly basis when general session is happening.  However the clout that may have been referred to could lie in the hands of the 5 people that hold the keys to the kingdom under the current house rules.

Rudy
Osbourne
Miles
Nemes
Meade

It is a common known fact around the Annex and beyond that you can have 73 cosponsors for a bill and if these five members of royalty do not support... then it dies in the committee on committees.  Rabourn and others tried to fix this on day 1... but was shut down.

View Quote

Those people are the "Committee on Committees", with the addition of a few democrats.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:38:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaymack] [#11]

Those people are the "Committee on Committees", with the addition of a few democrats.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jaymack:

Rudy
Osbourne
Miles
Nemes
Meade

I'm quite aware - that's why I specifically listed them as the "clout holders".  Under the RS24 rules - NOTHING gets in or out without them... sadly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#12]
It seems like this "clout" is spread very sparingly to only five people. So it also seems that Savannah Maddox is not the only one without any of it. In fact, there must be 93 Representatives that have none. I wonder how many of the bills that have been filed
have at least one of those names on them. I think I'll see how many bills have their endorsement so far. Maybe we can shorten this session if only five people have to vote on bills. The rest can go home early.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems like this "clout" is spread very sparingly to only five people. So it also seems that Savannah Maddox is not the only one without any of it. In fact, there must be 93 Representatives that have none. I wonder how many of the bills that have been filed
have at least one of those names on them. I think I'll see how many bills have their endorsement so far. Maybe we can shorten this session if only five people have to vote on bills. The rest can go home early.

View Quote

It's sad, but you're right.
There's 300+ bills filed in the house now, and there's how many even in committee?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top