Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2023 1:49:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmsnare]
Hi all,

Planning a trip with the wife this summer to Acadia NP and surrounding areas, and trying to get info on what transportation options are reliable from BGR to Mt Desert area.  We're staying on one of the bordering islands and need to catch a water taxi to our ultimate destination, which is on a schedule.  I'd typically use LYFT/Uber type services, but given the distance of the trip and need for the service to be somewhat timely, I'm not confident this is the best approach.  Can anyone speak to the availability of such services and their reliability?  Are there better alternatives?

I've also looked at chartering a shuttle (quotes have been pretty expensive), and renting a car (most expensive) which would likely sit for most of the week given the bus circuit available.  Any suggestions or experiences would be most helpful!
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to see Uber sometimes in Bangor but other than that couldn't tell you. Local car rental places do very well tho.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charmingmander] [#3]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:19:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maine_11B_to_Nurse] [#4]
Look up "Bar Harbor Shuttle". I know they were running from BIA to Bar Harbor. I don't know anything else about them.

Not sure if flying into the Hancock airport is feasible, but the Island Explorer does pick up there and runs around most of MDI.

ETA-There are direct flights to Hancock airport from Logan in Boston. Don't know if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Also at least one bus

Bus service

Supposedly Greyhound/Vermont runs to Bar Harbor in the summer months, but I don't know if its only from Boston or if Bangor goes down too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
@cmsnare

If those don't work out, give me a shout. I might be able to come up with something.

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate the replies. We will end up with a car rental for the week. Looking forward to our visit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top