Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 7:55:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackRifleJihad]
Just found out today that my oldest daughter was accepted to the South Carolina Governors School for the Arts and Humanities for Drama in Greenville! Its a school for music, dance, art, film, drama and creative writing, with only 207 students through all areas for 11th and 12th graders. She's one of less than 15 accepted for the drama program.

Residential High School, great academics and pre-professional theatre training. The school visited her middle school in 7th grade and she said "I'm going to go there." 4 years laters, countless auditions and rehearsals for local community theatre (I even got a part in a show with her!), keeping her grades up. a few voice and acting lessons, but it was all on her motivation to do these things, we just provided the support.

If your kids love something, help them keep loving it.

We live 1.5 hours from Greenville, so I'll be in the area more often now. Seems like a nice area, even if it is a "city" I'm not use to.

If you have any kids interested in the various arts, have them check out the Governors School (they also have one for math and science too).

https://www.scgsah.org
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats to your daughter!

I just drove my ex-girlfriend's oldest son back there. He has been a Govie since 10th grade. [Music majors can be accepted in 10th grade]. It is like a college for younger people. I have gone to many music performances for the school. The staff are great, and the campus is awesome. There is another Governors School in the Hartsville area for Math and Science.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh thats awesome and a small world! I do remember them saying something about music being 10th grade also. Its a wonderful campus and I think it will be a great environment for her (she dislikes regular HS and all the normal HS things most kids are into). We've been to 2 different theater performances and they both have been amazing for such young actors, I'm sure the same can be said about music.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MitchbSC] [#3]
Congrats!

My kid graduated one of the larger private $chool$ in Columbia.  The kids in the know all respected the Governors School.

eta both S&M and A&H
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#4]
First let me say congrats to you and your daughter as it an honor to make the cut.

Our daughter attended some 20 years ago for creative writing and our son was invited based on music, he was the #1 drummer in the state at one point. He declined to attend and we supported his choice. The campus is beautiful and offers top notch facilities, equipment and an environment that both challenges and encourages a student to grow and excel in their studies.

While I have no idea about the ideologies of the current staff I can't help but feel they lean to the left. I say this based on what we experienced years ago regarding the college recommendations for my daughter by the staff.

The other thing to consider is the impact on your other kids of their sister leaving home. We have 2 kids and it never occurred to us what a huge change it was for him when his older sister left home just as he entered high school. She had always been there for him, like walking him to his classroom each day when he started first grade, this created a small void in his life that we didn't see coming.

Fast forward and both our kids are great with families of their own and our daughter made some life long friends at SCGSAH. I don't want to sound all doom & gloom but everything is sunshine & unicorns right now so talk to your family about whats going to happen and make sure your daughter understands whats expected of her while she is away from home.

Again good luck & congratulations.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Clicker58:
First let me say congrats to you and your daughter as it an honor to make the cut.

Our daughter attended some 20 years ago for creative writing and our son was invited based on music, he was the #1 drummer in the state at one point. He declined to attend and we supported his choice. The campus is beautiful and offers top notch facilities, equipment and an environment that both challenges and encourages a student to grow and excel in their studies.

While I have no idea about the ideologies of the current staff I can't help but feel they lean to the left. I say this based on what we experienced years ago regarding the college recommendations for my daughter by the staff.

The other thing to consider is the impact on your other kids of their sister leaving home. We have 2 kids and it never occurred to us what a huge change it was for him when his older sister left home just as he entered high school. She had always been there for him, like walking him to his classroom each day when he started first grade, this created a small void in his life that we didn't see coming.

Fast forward and both our kids are great with families of their own and our daughter made some life long friends at SCGSAH. I don't want to sound all doom & gloom but everything is sunshine & unicorns right now so talk to your family about whats going to happen and make sure your daughter understands whats expected of her while she is away from home.

Again good luck & congratulations.
View Quote

These are some good points. The Ideology does lean left, but no one is teaching an ideology. The students are definitely left leaning. However, there is no class war amongst the students.    

A sibling leaving for months at a time does leave a void. The Oldest daughter took it hard since the two of them were two peas in a pod. However, it also gave her an opportunity to become more independent.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome.  That’s quite the accomplishment.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Woot!
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top